New
Find
Notify
Tools

substitute for Kroil oil?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have used Kroil lots to break stuck high-temp or corroded threads/pins on engines/automotive. Never have used it on a gun and probably wouldn’t, it gets everywhere and has a strong odor as mentioned earlier.

Posts: 145 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 02 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
If you are looking for a penetrating oil equal volumes of acetone and Dexron III transmission oil make one of the best.

That mixture has be acknowledged and endorsed over and over again by knowledgeable, experienced people in the restoration business.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
I think Kroil is an internet myth started many years ago. That's it's very expensive helps that myth making many think it's the greatest. Know what it is? It's a placebo. You automatically think it's the most fantastic stuff there is because EVERYONE says so. To tell you the truth ATF is far better then it would ever be. As far as just a penetrating oil the stuff that beats the doors off of Kroil is GIBBS. Never seen anyone in the automotive repair use Kroil to break nuts and bolts loose. It's over rated!
Years before I ever saw Kroil mentioned in any way on the internet, my uncle who was a mechanical engineer told me about it. As many times as I asked him various questions I was unable to find any of his answers inaccurate.I had an automobile restoration facility at one time and Kroil saved my bacon time and time again. It's a penetrant, not a lubricant~!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Just brake fluid works well as a penetrant - but not so good on painted surfaces if you want to retain the paint

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WELL if this doesn't confuse the poster even more than when he asked the question I'll kiss your butt in down town Dallas in the 5 PM traffic and give you an hour to form a crowd!! hammering

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote