Find
Notify
Tools

bolt cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted
i got my son an older savage 110 LH and need some imfo on how to take it apart. it is a 1963 action turned into a custom by paul jager.

any tricks???just unscrew the screwhead at the rear?? thanks brian

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found it unnecessary to take a bolt apart to clean it. The best method I've found is to fill a clean coffee can with Kerosene or WD-40. WD-40 is avaliable very inexpensively in gallon size cans from both Home Depot and Lowe's. It is one of the best gun cleaning solvents I've come across. Simply place the bolt in the can and put in enough WD-40 or Kerosene to completly submerge it. Allow it to soak overnight or longer. Then remove it and blow it dry with compressed air. If you don't have access to an air compressor they can be purchased very cheaply from Harbor Freight, or else you can use that "Canned Air" that comes in an aerosol can they use on computers and such. I have never taken a bolt apart in almost 40 years of shooting and all of my bolts are as clean or cleaner than the day I bought the rifle. I used this method to clean 2 bolts from surplus Mausers, and one from an Enfield I bought some years back. Both were packed solid with Cosmoline. An overnight soaking and some compressed air and they were as clean as the day they were manufactured. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice gams...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brian simmons:
i got my son an older savage 110 LH and need some imfo on how to take it apart. it is a 1963 action turned into a custom by paul jager.

any tricks???just unscrew the screwhead at the rear?? thanks brian

Jump the cocking stud down the cocking cam to relieve some of the tension on the firing pin spring. Then unscrew the bolt plug.
The bolt head is removed by removing the firing pin then the cross pin at the head of the bolt.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote