Find
Notify
Tools

Why so much copper?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I recently inherited my fathers old 1903 Springfield. I am now on my third application of Wipe-out, and the bore is still giving up gobs of copper fouling. The grooves and lands look very, very nice, so I am trying to figure out how a rifle with an excellent-class bore could be holding so much copper. Any ideas? Just improperly cleaned for the last 50 years?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
First, if it is a M1903 v. M1903A3 (Springfield never made a M1903A3), it is much more than 50 years old. It certainly could have a replacement barrel installed but, with the exception of the early Remingtons, no new M1903 rifles are less than 80 years old. I don't have the exact date of final manufacture of Springfield receivers on the tip of my tongue (and am not gonna go look it up), but I don't think any Springfield receivers were manufactured
after circa 1936. Existing receivers did have serial numbers struck and were first assembled as rifles after that date., the last known being struck in June 1940.

If you give me the serial number, manufacturer and barrel info on your rifle I will tell you when it was made and if the barrel is original to the rifle.

As to the copper, it is not unusual to need 3 or more treatments to remove all the copper traces from a M1903. It wasn't necessarily improperly cleaned, but rather that an effective means to remove copper fouling did not exist.

All the above is off the top of my head and based upon research conducted some years ago when I was still actively collecting and restoring M1903 rifles. I could mis-remember some of it. Hope it is helpful to you.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to my research, Rock Island made M1903s through 1919, Springfield through 1939, and Remington through 1942. The latter two would be less than 80 years old.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
First of all, the OP specified Springfield, so why do you feel it necessary to cite RIA. Secondly, I specifically excluded the Remingtons from the discussion in my second sentence. Third, since you appear to be quoting research, perhaps you could give the citation? There is quite a bit of erroneous information and, in many cases later corrected information, in printed form regarding the M1903 rifle. Please give me the author and book you cite as your research reference.

When you use the word "made" that is misleading, as many receivers were built and held in storage but not struck with serial numbers nor assembled as rifles until many years after manufacture, as I stated in the last sentence of my first paragraph.

Is 1939, assuming for arguments sake that we accept your 1939 date, closer to 50 years ago or 80 years ago? Would you consider 1939 to be "circa 1936", as I stated? Since you did not give even a semblance of an answer to the OP, are you trying to be helpful or just looking to start a pissing match?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a little chip on your shoulder today? Or are you an arrogant prick all the time?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I recently inherited my fathers old 1903 Springfield. I am now on my third application of Wipe-out, and the bore is still giving up gobs of copper fouling. The grooves and lands look very, very nice, so I am trying to figure out how a rifle with an excellent-class bore could be holding so much copper. Any ideas? Just improperly cleaned for the last 50 years?

You are using the color as a criteria for being unfunctionally clean. It is not necessarily true. You may be in too big a hurry to get it clean. Use a fresh bottle of Hoppe's to clean it and let it set muzzle down for about 3 weeks. Then use a brush and more Hoppe's and patches and all that. Then store it. Check it in a few months if you want.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hey craigster,

Congratulations on rising to a level of internet civility and discussion that can always be counted upon from those unable to interact like adults. You'll be happy to know you've qualified for my ignore list.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you asked me if I was looking to start a pissing match ?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I have just picked up some KG 12 with many recommendations on its use. I have used Wipe-Out and it does a good job but am looking forward to using KG 12.

I have come to the conclusion (rightly or not) that different grades of copper react differently to different cleaners so have found a mix of products can have better success than a single one.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guys, the barrel on this one was made in May of 1921. I'll keep working on her!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Are you using a brass jag?

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

Try some J&B Bore Paste, or some Remclean barrel cleaner.

Works on coppor and powder fouling.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
use kerosene with a brush. give the bore a good scrub and let it sit overnight, then patch out and repeat as required.I had a jungle carbine with an almost black barrel.Usual solvents didn't do the job. The kerosene got just about all of fifty years worth of gunk out with just a bit of scrubbing.
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Hey craigster,

Congratulations on rising to a level of internet civility and discussion that can always be counted upon from those unable to interact like adults. You'll be happy to know you've qualified for my ignore list.

Am I supposed to care?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As someone else said, work on Powder and Copper Fouling alternatively.

Hoppes, - scrub - hoppes - let it sit, clean out - then Wipe Out - let it sit - then re foam it with a Plastic brush and let it keep working - then once you patch it out, use Hoppes again.

And sometimes it is worth trying a different cleaner - borrow a mates and give a couple of cleans with that.

Every bullet is different.

Plus your bore could just be filthy !!!

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time, I bought a Ruger 77 in 308.

I cleaned tht rifle, SEVERLY, every day, for over a Month.

I even used the stainless steel brushes on it.

It was the most severely foulled barrel I have ever seen.

Eventually I got it shooting pretty good.

But it took a LOT of work, a LOT of bore cleaner, and about a hundred dollars worth of patches...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Lionhunter, the serial number, 1232910, is from 1921, so I am thinking the barrel marked SA over flaming bomb of 5-21 over A is i=original to the barrel.
Tony: It would seem I simply need to persevere in order to get her clean. Will do. My father's Springfield deserves no less. He always loved the 1903, as he was issued the scoped version as squad sniper with the 97th Infantry in World War II.
Bill

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,

Yes, your serial number was manufactured at Springfield Armory in late 1921. An SA bbl date of 5/21 would be presumptive original to the receiver.

I suggest you take it to the range and run 3-5 rounds through it rapid fire and then clean immediately, while the bbl is hot. Many '03s shoot really well, even with damaged barrels. You have a great piece passed on from your father. Congratulations and enjoy it.

One of the best books for beginners with the M1903 is Bruce Canfield's "'03 Springfield Service Rifle" p. 2005. It will give a good basic understanding without overwhelming one with much of the esoteric information on the U.S. Rifle Model of 1903. For advanced research on all things M1903, I recommend the late Clark Campbell's "The '03 Springfield Rifles' ERA" p. 2003. This is the fourth edition of campbell's extensive work on the M1903.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, thanks. I have the little NRA pamphlet on the 1903 Springfield. I feel a need for a Lyman 48, a Griffin and Howe stock and some 220 grain solids. I can't really explain it ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I know where there are some 220 Hornady Solids...
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill,
I know where there are some 220 Hornady Solids...
dmw

I got my stash!!! ;-) I looked at a Sedgley Springfield today and thought the same thing. Those Springfield actions have 'something' about them!