New
Find
Notify
Tools

cleaning engraved surfaces
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any good tips for cleaning and brightening the engraved steel surfaces on a shotgun?

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean protecting them from rust, simply wipe them with a decent gun oil, or similar, just be sure you use a soft cloth to get it down into the depressions if you've handled it with sweaty hands.

AFA "brightening" goes, I would suggest you leave it alone, depending on what is causing it to darken. If it is just overall darkened for some reason, you might try a fine soft toothbrush with Flitz or JB. Without seeing it and not really knowing what your asking that's about as far as I will go. My first response is to leave it alone unless there is a specific reason to be more proactive.

If it is rusty, you might VERY CAREFULLY use some fine steel wool on a tooth pick or similar to work on the rust spots, followed by wiping clean and then oiling.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I am not contending with rust, and do wipe regularly with a very light coating of gun oil. It's just that the steel around the engraved areas looks dull --- I was concerned that the wiping with oil was causing the dinginess. I didn't want to consider fine steel wool until I got some input as to whether that would mar the underlying metal.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It could be an oil buildup/film. Try using some WD40 as a cleaning agent, that is maybe put some on the area and let it sit for a while and then wipe it off, and see if that cuts it. AFA steel wool goes, I wouldn't use it unless absolutely necessary. You will almost certainly change the appearance of the metal if you rub much and it won't match the areas around it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote