New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maintaining stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you shooters use to keep your stock in nice condition? I was using a product from Jesse & James called wood care. I got it at a show,it was new product, I don't think they are making it anymore.

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you are talking about wood stocks, I use Outers stock wax, and Scotts liquid gold.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howards Feed N Wax, available from Home Depot, a tremendous product. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Liquid Gold. Spray on let it sit a few minutes and wipe off. No problems with metal.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MinWax carnuba paste floor wax. Hard to beat for quality and price. Boiled linseed oil for oil finish stocks.

Plastic finish stocks just need basic clean-up. You need to get up to speed on how the stock is finished -- plastic finish, oil, waxed, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Duck Axe wax.

don't laugh till you try it

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
TC Bore Butter

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With paste how do you keep out of checkering? Tape checkering off?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
No, it comes out with a soft toothbrush. I strip and wax once a year or so (strip meaning wipe down with a damp ammoniated detergent solution) and in between I've been known to use any furniture product the wife has on hand. I like how Scott's works but I'd rather smell a turd than Scotts. I use a lot of lemon oil products. Sniff sniff!

I have along aversion to Scotts after the owner of a company I worked for hired two young illegal male Mexicans to replace the cleaning crew. Walked in the first Monday and the whole office (12,000 ft sq) was wiped with Scotts. Not a real problem if your stuff is wood. But it doesn't work well on formica kitchen counters, floors or steel cabinets. And it stank for days and days.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote