New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found new miracle copper remover.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw on a post somewhere some guy saying that BoreTech Eliminator was the best thing since toilet paper. Well I bought some and I'll be damned if it don't work as advertised. I honestly think it works better than Wipe Out Foam. I've tried everything from Sweets, Butches, Shooters Choice, Hoppes Elite,Gun Slick etc. and found nothing to work very well except the Wipe Out. I have some barrels that will copper foul after only 3/5 shots. I've also tried the JB and USP paste thing without much success. They just polished the copper. The Bore Tech says it won't harm the barrel and they recommend to wet the barrel down with it before storing. Has anyone else tried this stuff and had as good of luck as I did? Also has anyone tried the Iosso bore paste?
P.S. The Bore Tech also removes the carbon just as well as the copper.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
where can you get it?

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes CR-10 works very well for copper.

Use another product like Butch's to get the barrel very clean then use CR-10 to get the last bit of copper.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the chemical composition?

Jim

Posts: 1205 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HEAVILY AMMONIA

I WOULD NOT leave this stuff sitting in a stainless steel barrel.

when you think you have your barrel "clean"
run a dry patch through followed by a patch wet with
vinegar, then let it sit overnight and clean again with the Bore Tech copper remover, you'll get just a bit more stuff
out.

after that it's REALLY clean.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Midway ad says BoreTech is ammonia free.

I have tried Barnes CR-10, and was not happy with it. The new ammonia free stuff is better.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eprod...ct?saleitemid=225250

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]

run a dry patch through followed by a patch wet with
vinegar, then let it sit overnight
------------------------------------------------

Vinegar is acid,

Wont catch me useing Vinegar, It will also take the blueing off your gun

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is ammonia free, but dont leave it in your barrel overnight, itll eat it especially if there has been moly in there.

I use eliminator all the time. i like it

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bore Tech Eliminator is ammonia free. Bore Tech recommends to clean the barrel with the stuff and after cleaning run another wet patch of it down the barrel when storing it. Why are you saying to not leave the BoreTech in the barrel overnight? Are you talking from experience or gut feeing?
I can safely tell you do not use bronze brushes with the stuff, it will eat them up overnight!

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. Search my posts for more...

I used to do the Shooter's Choice - KROIL - JB Paste thing which takes forever. Once I scrubbed out all the build-up with JB and so on, to get "squeeky clean", all it takes me to get back there now is

(a) nylon brush chamber and bore with Eliminator -- ten strokes wet
(b) patch wet with KROIL and scrub wet ten strokes with bronze brush + KROIL
(c) patch out with two wet and one dry (KROIL)
(d) foaming bore cleaner if copper seen, then patch wet with KROIL and patch dry before (last)
(e) one oil patch followed by a dry one before storing

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
Midway ad says BoreTech is ammonia free.

I have tried Barnes CR-10, and was not happy with it. The new ammonia free stuff is better.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eprod...ct?saleitemid=225250

Sorry the bottle on my bench is Bore Tech's "Copper Remover" which in it's little 4oz bottle smells like it could be "concentrate" for making two GALLONS of "Windex"

smells much stronger (to me) than either Sweets 7.62 or Barnes CR-10

I have used it on a bronze brush to scrub a seriously fouled bore, but have learned to drop the brush in the trash after I'm done.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Montana Xtreme 50 BMG is some foul smelling stuff, works well too.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
I saw on a post somewhere some guy saying that BoreTech Eliminator was the best thing since toilet paper. Well I bought some and I'll be damned if it don't work as advertised. I honestly think it works better than Wipe Out Foam. I've tried everything from Sweets, Butches, Shooters Choice, Hoppes Elite,Gun Slick etc. and found nothing to work very well except the Wipe Out. I have some barrels that will copper foul after only 3/5 shots. I've also tried the JB and USP paste thing without much success. They just polished the copper. The Bore Tech says it won't harm the barrel and they recommend to wet the barrel down with it before storing. Has anyone else tried this stuff and had as good of luck as I did? Also has anyone tried the Iosso bore paste?
P.S. The Bore Tech also removes the carbon just as well as the copper.

quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
The Bore Tech Eliminator is ammonia free. Bore Tech recommends to clean the barrel with the stuff and after cleaning run another wet patch of it down the barrel when storing it. Why are you saying to not leave the BoreTech in the barrel overnight? Are you talking from experience or gut feeing?
I can safely tell you do not use bronze brushes with the stuff, it will eat them up overnight!

It seems that this ever so straight forward statement, based on Rae59's experience has met with some alternate views, which appear to be contridictory. Humm - I wonder what's going on there.

Nevertheless - hopefully we can clarify and focus this discussion on the facts, best stated by the manufacturer of the product, which basically Mr. Rae59 has confirmed with his own experience.

Apparantly Bore Tech has two products now, one is the eliminator, which is the product mentioned in the beginning of this discussuion:

http://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator.shtml

Bore Tech has a new product:

http://www.boretech.com/products/copperremover.shtml

They say they are both Ammonia free, and oderless.

Seems Mr. BNagel has some good suggestions too.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

I cleaned my 22-250 and 338 win mag with Montana Extreme, Sweets, and Barnes CR-10 and thought I had done a good job. I had read great things about Bore Tech and decided to give it a try. I followed their directions and ran a wet patch through the barrel and could not believe how much copper was still in my barrel after what I thought was a good cleaning with the other leading cleaners.

Best thing it works, no unpleasant smell and no ammonia.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After further usage of the Bore Tech Eliminator, the only thing I've seen that they are not living up to (I really never thought it would) is the copper fouling keeps returning after a shooting session. I have two rifles that foul horribly at the throat/muzzle areas. The Bore Tech will get the copper out, eventually after an hour or two of soaking, but it comes back. I've tried everything on those two to try and polish the rough spots ie.,Flitz, Iosso, JB,USB, and even Tubb's Final Finish bullets on one. The Tubb's did help tremendously on the one. I guess it is just a quirk of that gun.
All in all, I still think the Bore Tech is the best I've found so far with the Wipe Out foam a close second only it is much slower (over night cleaning).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, the best copper remover is KG-12 from KG Industries.

Read the independant testing here.

KG-12

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've been using KG stuff for about 8 years now. I like it. I also like the warthog1134 stuff.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shof:

KG-12

Are you really willing to leave any one of those in you bore for 19 hours?
The test they made was not a real world test. To test the material properly they need to test with rifle barrels that are fouled with one of the dirtiest ball powders.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stood a .45 ACP pistol barrel in KG-12 for two days and couldn't see any signs of metal etching under a magnifying glass, so I'd leave it in a barrel for 19 hours.

The way I clean my guns is to start out with KG-1, which is a carbon remover, then switch to KG-12 to clean out the copper. My rifles shoot quite well.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have found the KF-12 to work very well with nothing but a nylon brush. One of my favorites but not sold off the shelf in France, I have to import it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those cleaners that "don't contain ammonia" what do they contain ?? Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Those cleaners that "don't contain ammonia" what do they contain ?? Confused

LOL, if I knew, I wouldn't be living on a firefighter disability.... bewildered

All I know is that the stuff works, and works well....

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Used Sweets and for "fouled" bores JB paste for years.

Then tried almost everything else.

Now, for a Quick clean , its Accelerator and Wipe-Out.

"Deep" clean : KG-12 and ISSO non-metal brushes, safe non-toxic, works great, Don't stink, -- simple.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
quote:

KG-12

The test they made was not a real world test. To test the material properly they need to test with rifle barrels that are fouled with one of the dirtiest ball powders.

Powder fouling is easy to remove any 6 year old with plain Hoppes can do that.. The difficult residue to remove is the carbon and layered on copper...

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
quote:
quote:

KG-12

Powder fouling is easy to remove any 6 year old with plain Hoppes can do that.. The difficult residue to remove is the carbon and layered on copper...

What is the carbon?
Powder foul....

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never used KG-12, but it sounds worth a try. However, if one were to believe their chart, I wonder why so many of the solvents they tried, that I have used make patches so green when I am cleaning my barrels. I think most guys go just a little nutso on that last tiny bit of copper removal on a non bench rest rifle. I myself am guilty as charged of the quest for that perfectly clean bore that I must first foul before I can hunt with it. I wonder how much copper I had to apply to the barrel so that I would know exactly where it would shoot!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I have tried allmost everything mentioned in the previous post. I just got samples of Gunzilla and Copperzilla in. I've cleaned one rifle with it so far, a 300 SAUM. Not as fast as Mont. Ext. but I have never got a Barrel so clean with so little effort and so few Patch's. It was a Douglas Barrel. I will be cleaning a M70 416 Rem. mag today with it. I check the results with a Bore Scope so I know what is left in the Barrel after cleaning. The manf. recommends leaving it in the Barrel overnight. It is all organic and can be shipped in the US Mail. Has no smell so it don't stink up the house when you use it. Check out the Gunzilla Website for more details. The name of the company is TopDuck Products.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

KG-12

What is the carbon?
Powder foul....

Once again you have soiled your Depends.. Ball powder while may in some cases show more loose fouling than the carbon fouling that is hard deposited throughout the bore ball powder is actually better than many of the single base propellants when it comes to hard carbon deposits. Now one reason for this is that the double-based powders are not as slow and not used nearly to the same extent in the huge overbore cases that are prone to have more hard carbon fouling (the difficult type to remove) that causes the dreaded layering of copper and carbon which is difficult to remove.

Something you would know if you had spent some time scoping tubes..

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I just finished cleaning the .416 I left the Copperzilla in for 26 hours with NO ill effects. Checked the Bore completly with a Bore Scope. Cleaned a Double Rifle in .470 NE using the Copperzilla only. It had had only 10 Solids shot in each Barrel, and was clean in a little over and hour with a patch run thru each bore every 15 minutes. I have not tried the KG products but hope to get some in for testing. I have tried all the other products mentioned in the previous post plus a few not mentioned. Of all the products I have used, the Zilla products from TopDuck gave me the cleanest Barrels with the least effort and mess as well as no oder to smell up the shop. As the Weather here warms up I will test some more outside at the Range as these test were preformed inside. I have used Montana Extreme 50 BMG on prarie Dog hunts and found it to work very well out in the open air. I do not claim any of these to be the best cleaner available, I just posted my findings. coffee

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

KG-12

What is the carbon?
Powder foul....

Once again you have soiled your Depends.. Ball powder while may in some cases show more loose fouling than the carbon fouling that is hard deposited throughout the bore ball powder is actually better than many of the single base propellants when it comes to hard carbon deposits. Now one reason for this is that the double-based powders are not as slow and not used nearly to the same extent in the huge overbore cases that are prone to have more hard carbon fouling (the difficult type to remove) that causes the dreaded layering of copper and carbon which is difficult to remove.

Something you would know if you had spent some time scoping tubes..

Carbon, carbon
Where did the carbon come from?

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
Used Sweets and for "fouled" bores JB paste for years.

Then tried almost everything else.

Now, for a Quick clean , its Accelerator and Wipe-Out.

"Deep" clean : KG-12 and ISSO non-metal brushes, safe non-toxic, works great, Don't stink, -- simple.

To elaborate: I have no fear of the KG-12 staying in the barrel too long.

Compared to the strong ammonia products and abrasive I used in the past.

Still use General Motors Top Engine Cleaner for CARBON before a "deep" clean for COPPER. (Not that the KG-1 Carbon remover is less effective, just slightly more expensive.)

I am about to experiment with the KG-2 Bore Polish and the KG-6 Moly Amorkote Bore prep on a couple of my Tac rifles.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've given all my Prior Cleaning stuff away since I've found Wipe Out and the Accelerator.. Now I don't have to Triage..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote