Find
Notify
Tools

Need help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
O.K. I thought I knew it all + still do to a point but I just took in a mod.# 29-2 that has a trash bore. There is build up but I (think) the bore is toast. This is too vintage value just to trash the bbl. Any ideas? BTW,y next idea was to send it back to S+W + have them install a 5" bbl. on the N frame.Any info always appreciated.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you gotten the bore really clean to make sure you are not just looking at lead deposits? For heavy leading I use Remington 40x bore cleaner of a tight fitting cotton patch. For some reason the lead sticks to the patch and comes out as shiny lead flakes. Follow with a brass brush and solvent, then repeat until you don't see any more lead.
If the barrel really is ruined then try S&W for a new one. Good luck with the 5",those were made in very limited numbers.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Not sure how to shoot out the barrel on a 29 so; what does trashed mean? I have shot the cylinder loose one one but the bore was still perfect.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
If your problem is lead build up in the barrel see my post in the link below. Chore Boy works like a charm on lead. Quicker, easier, cheaper than a Lewis lead remover.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...421024571#4421024571

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote