Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outers Foul Out
 Login/Join

posted
Have the Outers Foul Out system that is still very handy for severely fouled barrels.I don't like standind for hours with bore brushes and solutions when the Foul Out works better.Beleive me I've tried every method ever invented to clean barrels with little satisfaction.
Now running out of the blue Foul Out solution,anyone know of a source?Have tried many of the usual places,no luck.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Posts: 3 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: 08 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foul out has gone over the river Styx never to return...web search for alternative home made solutions...not sure I would use any tho'.

Wipeout, Patchout w/wo accelerator for copper/lead/carbon...Mercury carbon remover(or other brands) for carbon, Montana X-treme products for all crud, and/or check out all the offerings on this cleaning forum.

Luck beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shortly after introduction, some folks began reporting "frosted" bores due to micro pitting from the Outers Foul Out system. With so many other effective cleaning alternatives on the market today, cleaning by electrolysis is probably the last thing I would try before barrel replacement - and honestly not sure I would even bother with it.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot, and clean a lot. I don't have any problem cleaning copper from my barrels with plain old Butch's Bore Shine.

I don't see what all the big deal and wonder remedies is about?

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've tried everything mentioned,the foams,Sweets,Barnes,the Boreshines,JB's and still continue to get blue patches.
A recent Win. 70 of 1956 manufacture,that I doubt was ever cleaned thoroughly before my ownership of it,was a prime example.Probably 50-100 patches and countless bore brushes,as well as a couple of different solutions resulted in more blue patches.I don't want to think of what damage was being inflicted on the bore.Got fed up and pulled out the Foul Out,result clean patches after two treatments.
Gotta think the Foul Out still has a place!

Posts: 3 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: 08 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Foul Out system works. It's simple electrolysis. The problem is, it can work too well and begin to micro pit the bore. The best way to minimize this is to alway use fresh solution and make sure the cleaning rod does not come in contact with the bore.

But as JTEX said, removing copper isn't that big of a deal with all the solvents we have available - if used properly...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be part of your problem......brushes don't clean copper..... chemicals do. When I clean I first push a wet patch straight through using simple old hoppes, then wet a brush good with hoppes and brush about one in and out stoke per shot. After that push a clean patch through to remove gunk from brushing. Then a wet patch with butches is scrubbed through paying a lot of attention to the throat and leads. Let soak for four or five minutes then scrub with two clean dry patches. Looking for copper streaks on patches. Repeat as necessary, rarely more than five wet patches, on good barrels usually just a couple.

Always with a good fitting bore guide, and always,cleaning from the chamber end swab the chamber, a tiny bit of grease on the locking lugs and cocking surfaces and I am done.

Usually when I go to the range I take multiple rifles and clean them at the same time.......One soaking while I'm s rubbing another........

Usually takes me about three beers to clean rifles, four or five if it's really hot, then a nice nap. My kind of day!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
The Foul Out system works. It's simple electrolysis. The problem is, it can work too well and begin to micro pit the bore. The best way to minimize this is to alway use fresh solution and make sure the cleaning rod does not come in contact with the bore.

But as JTEX said, removing copper isn't that big of a deal with all the solvents we have available - if used properly...

True enough, and the pitting problem is why I started using Wipe Out. You can leave it in for days if you want to with no issues.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
True enough, and the pitting problem is why I started using Wipe Out. You can leave it in for days if you want to with no issues.

Me too, love that Wipe out stuff.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Wipe Out..

It seems to me that some have decided that a bore must be squeaky clean..Why? you still have to foul the bore to make it shoot and an animal has never in history been shot with a clean bore rifle..

Common since is the key, misused cleaning rods are the most destructive critter in gundome, ruined more bores than anything else...Use a guide if you must..

I clean my rifles after a hunt with Wipe Out, and perhaps again during the course of a year. I then oil them and put them up after 4 or 5 passes with a bore snake...the rest of the year I use only a bore snake, one pass is equal to 180 patches. If Im hunting pinheads or rock chucks in the Snake River I pass a a boresnake down the bore once or twice and keep shooting. Easy to shoot 50 rounds a day, sometimes twice that many...

I will use a rod and wipe out and do a extended cleaning, depending on the rifle, maybe twice a year just to be safe I suppose..My old 30-06 never gets cleaned, it shoots 1/2 every time, unless I clean it, then it takes 100 rounds to get it to shooting a half inch again..so I don't ever clean it other than run a DRY bore snake thru it once.

To each his own but over cleaning is for folks who just injoy it. I have no problem with that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote