Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning After Barnes XLC Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
I have a few practice loads using some old Barnes XLC bullets (10-15 of them) and I want to shoot them, but I don't remember the protocol for cleaning the coating out of the bore afterwards. IIRC, the coating isn't moly but something else. I want to shoot these up so I can reload the cases. Will Wipeout work to get the coating out or do I need to rely on something more abrasive? Do I even need to worry about this at all?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
J-B Bore Paste.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Not worry at all. I use Barnes bore cleaner and I bought a boatload of xlc's when they were on closeout. Never had any clean up problem.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Buckeyeshooter,

Did you find whatever coating they Barnes uses(I forget) to be noticeable when you clean? With only so few rounds to shoot, I'm thinking it's not a huge issue and I can clean as normal with a barrel solvent.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The first one or two patches seem to remove all the blue coating. The amount of coating is pretty small also. Then a couple more that come out white, I can't see it would be an issue.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thanks for the advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fill the bore with Wipe Out foam, go take a long nap, then swab it out with clean patches..Maybe twice if its real bad...oil it.

Remember a bore need not be squeaky clean, never been a target or an animal shot with a clean bore....Over cleaning is worse than unde rcleaning..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Just as a quick follow-up, I used Wipeout yesterday and it took everything off. The blue dye was oozing out the end of the barrel for a good hour or so. That, combined with the removal of the copper (also blue) left everything squeaky clean when finished.