New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Powder Rifle Cleaning?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best (easiest to use)cleaning solution for cleaning a black powder cartridge rifle?

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll probably be labeled "old school", but I've found it pretty hard to beat hot soapy water followed by hot plain water. Patch out the clean water, the heat from the water will dry up any residual moisture. After drying, a light oiling of the bore and other areas, and I'm done.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I run the rod thru the bore and then attach the patch. Warm soapy water works fine, but I particularly like to soak the patch with Windex (the formula with vinegar NOT the blue stuff). Run this up and down the bore a few times and remove the patch from the muzzle end. Attach a jag to your rod and push everything out the muzzle. Repeat above and you should be clean. Apply oil of your choosing to your bore and you are done.

Also, a bore guide can be made by taking one of your brass cases and drilling out the primer pocket so that your cleaning rod can fit.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I'll probably be labeled "old school", but I've found it pretty hard to beat hot soapy water followed by hot plain water. Patch out the clean water, the heat from the water will dry up any residual moisture. After drying, a light oiling of the bore and other areas, and I'm done.

I agree with Craigster. When I clean my muzzleloaders, I shave some Ivory hand soap into hot water, set the barrel nipple end in the water, and "pump" the patched rod up and down in the barrel. The first couple of pumps, the patch will be black. Keep doing this until the patch is once again pretty clean.

Do a hot, clean water rinse and stand the barrel muzzle down to let the water drain and the heat of the metal will dry the rest.

Then lightly oil and put the gun back in the cabinet.

It's been working well for my muzzleloaders for many years.

Although an excellent carbon cleaner is KG-1 from KG Industries. It cuts through heavy carbon buildup very well. KG Cleaners

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I whole-heartedly agree with craigster. The water cannot be too HOT, whether soapy or rinse. Then your usual gun oil. This method has not been improved upon for centuries.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies!
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote