The Accurate Reloading Forums
Patches coming out green?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/645100744/m/1031068601

06 April 2009, 05:09
Bernie P.
Patches coming out green?
Hi folks,I had accuracy drop off a bit in my 7mm.I figured it was due to copper fouling and have been trying to get it all cleaned out.I've been using Butches Bore Shine and Hoppes Copper solvents.After letting the barrel soak over night the dry patches had a bluish color at first but now they are coming out kind of a olive green color.I've been going at it for several days now but don't seem to be getting anywhere.I've also used a bronze brush quite a bit but still the dry patches keep coming out dirty.Any advice what to try next?
06 April 2009, 05:48
375er
I would keep working at it with the copper solvent and switch to a plastic brush. You are likely getting discoloration from the solvent working on the brass brush. I have had good success using Hoppes copper solvent when necessary.
06 April 2009, 07:28
shootaway
Hey Bernie from the Adirondacks-the most beatiful place on earth! I've got some advice but you do what you feel is right.You don't need to see green or use any solvent,to get your bore clean and shooting like you never thought it would shoot. Just use JB on a patch,wrapped snuggly around a copper brush.A clean patch or two will get the JB out and leave your bore cleaner than ever.
06 April 2009, 11:54
N E 450 No2
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Hey Bernie from the Adirondacks-the most beatiful place on earth! I've got some advice but you do what you feel is right.You don't need to see green or use any solvent,to get your bore clean and shooting like you never thought it would shoot. Just use JB on a patch,wrapped snuggly around a copper brush.A clean patch or two will get the JB out and leave your bore cleaner than ever.

Yes, get some J&B. It is the quickest, easiest way to get a barrel TOTALLY clean.

This is baised on some tests I have done using a bore scope.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY
07 April 2009, 19:57
Bernie P.
Thanks guys!It turns out I had some JB extra fine grit buried away I forgot about.Anyway that did the trick.Clean as a whistle dancing !