New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foaming cleaners in gas guns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some old 60's era semi autos that were my fathers. Win 100 and a Remington 742. I do not think either of these guns have ever had any copper remover in them.
I am hesitant about using wipeout as it could enter the gas system. Just thought about using sweets.
Curious if anyone has experience with foam cleaner in a gun with gas ports?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to commercial Remingtons, but I have used Wipe-out in my Garands, my M1 carbine, and my AR without any problems.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Frank said. The product info clearly states it is safe for fairly prolonged exposure. I would not assume all Cu++-removing alkali cleaning products are NH3+ free, but the WipeOut/PatchOut products fall in this class. I leave the stuff in my uppers for days at a time. When all done removing copper I hit them with a CLP patch.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always heard not to use it in gas because it can't be readily neutralized.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a can of Gun Slick foaming bore cleaner on my shelf. It works well. It will set up and plug the gas block in an A.R. I know this from experience. I showed up at the range with a single shot A.R. until I found a pipe cleaner and unplugged the hole. Other than that the product works very well.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote