Find
Notify
Tools

Carbon Fouling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello everyone...

I have recently broken in a Sako 75 and even after 15 -20 shots the copper and powder fouling can be removed with 3-4 patches of Butch's....great! I then use a bronze brush with boreshine and patch clean.However, carbon fouling is a different matter. After the patches of Boreshine come out clean I patch with oil(Parker Hale Express) - but as soon as I oil the barrel out comes carbon(brown)fouling.... 25 applications later the oily patches are just about clean. Surely there must be a better (more efficient)solvent to rid the barrel of carbon? At this rate I will be going through a can of oil and bag of patches per month. Smiler
Maybe this is not excessive cleaning.... or could it be that the powder I use is prone to carbon deposits (Reloder 7)?

Thanks for any advice...

Regards...

...Titan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will help ya...

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wrongtarget...

...Thank you

Titan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what is carbon fouling?

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess they're talking about powder fouling, which has been "cooked" onto/into the barrel steel as opposed to the loose stuff.

Apparently it is harder than hard, and if not removed can/will actually fracture off at times.

Anyway when the other side of the world wakes up we'll find out. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not claim any expertise on this subject, but I believe that ignited powder produces two types of fouling from the different ingredients...known as 'powder'(black)fouling and 'carbon'(brown)fouling. I read somewhere that the carbon fouling is produced by a graphite type ingredient.

The link posted by wrongtarget is good.

...Titan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Titan,have no fear I am here! There is only one way to clean your rifle and to make it shoot good.Do you want to know how?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shootaway..

...fire away

Titan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a bronze brush and a cleaning patch covered in JB compound,and work it back and fourth completely through the barrel about 60 times non-stop.Then rince out with a light solvent on a patch.Then repeat the whole process again.Every 5 magnum rds,20 270-like rds,60 308 rds.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shootaway...

...Thank you

Titan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Or just use Hoppe's Elite and forget all the elbow grease! cheers

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote