ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Lion, Buffalo, Tuskless with Charlton McCallum Safairs, 2012, Dande Safari Area
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion, Buffalo, Tuskless with Charlton McCallum Safairs, 2012, Dande Safari Area
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Outfitter: Charlton McCallum Safaris
PH: Blake Wilhelmi
Camera Man: Ray Buchanon

Area Hunted: Dande Safari Area
Dates: 14 October to 31 October, 2012
Weapons and Ammo:
VC 577NE – 750gr CEB BBW#13 Solids and 700gr CEB Non-Cons
Chapuis 9.3X74R, Trijicon 1.25x4 Scope – 280gr CEB BBW#13
Solids and 250gr CEB Non-Cons

Some preliminary info:

During the Jan 2012 DSC show, Buzz and I confirmed an ele bull hunt together for 2013. Since I already had a trip to New Zealand planned for 2012, I asked if there might be a short and inexpensive option to come to Zim late in the year, similar to my hunt with CMS in 2010. He suggested a 7 day Tuskless. I thought that to be a bit short considering the long haul over and asked to make it 10 days with the idea of any left over quota being added if possible. All was agreed to!

By the end of the SCI show in Vegas the following month, we had added a Buffalo Bull to the 10 day hunt. So much for the “inexpensive” option!! If I recall correctly, Buzz’s words were, “You know Todd, one can never get enough buffalo hunting”. Yep, he knows how to hit me where it counts!

On my two previous trips with CMS, I struggled a bit physically. First with the October heat in 2010 (Makuti and Dande) and again with the hills in Makuti in June, 2011. Significantly, in 10, I developed blisters on all 10 toes on day 5 due to the heat and not being able to keep my feet dry. This despite using smart wool socks with silk liners. Clearly I needed to make some changes.

I began a program of exercise using a Nordic Trac early in the year to prepare for the mountains of New Zealand. Not being completely happy with those results, I added jogging to the 3 months prior to this trip, despite some rather limiting lower back issues. Fortunately, it paid off greatly this time. I only had one episode of not being able to keep up on the entire trip and that was chasing 3 tuskless up a very steep series of hills on the Western side of Dande during the heat of the day with the 577NE on my shoulder.

Just after noon on day 2 however, I developed a blister on the left foot while pursuing elephant on an extended trek. Damn. DAMN!! A blister on DAY 2!!! I don’t know who mentioned “Gold Bond Powder” on AR awhile back but they saved my hunt without knowing it. I aggressively went after the feet with powder and a bit of medical tape over the blister and thankfully arrested any further damage. After that, every stalk or trek ended with a new application of powder to the feet. It made all the difference and without it, I would have suffered the same fate as in 2010. This was also my first hunt with Courtney boots and I have to say they work very well for me.

Back to the 10 day “inexpensive” hunt issue. A major development occurred late in the year that I had absolutely NO expectation of whatsoever. An opportunity presented itself that I’m still not completely comfortable with since it only occurred due to a bit of misfortune for one of our fellow AR friends. Mike Jines and Buzz put forth a great effort but didn’t connect on his lion hunt in September. Yea, I know that’s hunting but I also know it isn’t much consolation for Mike. I was pulling for you my friend.

The lion was offered to me and although I realized that a late October hunt for a cat would have all the odds stacked against us, I decided it was something I couldn’t pass up. I extended to 14 days but decided on day 12 to go the entire 18 due to issues on the ground at the time. So now I had an 18 day, buffalo, tuskless, and male lion hunt on my hands! Somewhere back there in January, I think I did ask for a short, INEXPENSIVE hunt. I’m sure I did! Maybe my memory is fading. Buzz, you are quite evil to tempt me so. You know I have no resistance when it comes to DG. I do appreciate you however!

Let’s go hunting:

Morning campfire to get started.

Contrasting styles of rifles.

I was originally scheduled to hunt with Alan Shearing on this late season trip but for some reason, we decided to move the days around a bit. This left Blake Wilhelmi available as my PH. Blake was an Appie on my first two hunts and I already knew him. I told Buzz I would really like to go with Blake this time out and that proved to be a great move. Absolutely nothing against the other guys but Blake and I hit it off well. In fact, I can say without reservation that out of 11 PH’s I’ve now hunted Africa with, he is by far my favorite. This may be his first year to have a full Zimbabwean PH license but he is no rookie. He has the right balance of enthusiasm while at the same time realizing that not all his clients are still able to do what they could in their 20’s! He also got the deal closed on several tough hunts.

Richie Shultz had 3 clients arriving from Oz on the day of my arrival as well. Richie picked me up at the airport and took me to Buzz’s house where we enjoyed lunch with his new bride of less than 24 hours. Buzz and I drove to the airport to meet the Aussies and find the charter pilot for our flight into Dande. One of the guys was AR’s Wombat, along with his friends Matthew and Rolf. Rolf is an A-380 Captain for Quantas Airlines so we had much to talk about with me being a former commercial pilot for American Airlines as well. It was a full load for the 206 but I wasn’t too concerned since all of our baggage was to be driven into camp later that evening by Richie and Raymond, my cameraman. Good thing about not loading the luggage on board. On landing, we were presented with a strong 90 degree crosswind. Of course we were a bit heavily loaded and the temps in Dande are quite high in October.

On final approach, the pilot pulled the throttle to idle for landing. I immediately looked at Rolf who was looking back at me, as we would have opted to fly the plane onto the runway under power being loaded like we were and especially with the crosswind. Result, a hard bounce, and then another, then just before the third and even larger bounce, the pilot executed a go-around. Just in time and I must say he handled it well by keeping the plane in ground effect and accelerating while easing the flaps up to gain speed. Rolf and I exchanged glances again and without a word being said, agreed that the go-around was done properly. Then he pulled power on final approach again. Result … a bounce, another, then safely on the ground. I’m sure the young pilot was a bit intimidated having me and Rolf looking over his shoulder, but he got it done. I mentioned to him in departing that a power on landing would have made things a bit easier to handle under the circumstances and he agreed. Ah … the lessons learned through experience. Lest you get the wrong idea, the flight was conducted safely in all respects and I never felt threatened. It’s just that a few techniques could smooth things out a bit.

Me and AR's Wombat (Sean) getting ready to board the charter.

Getting underway, right off Blake explained that we had a bit of an issue with baits and the October heat. We would need a good plan to make sure of having usable meat swinging in the trees over the next 18 days with what was remaining on quota, and my now stretched budget. We would need to beg, borrow, and steal a bit of meat here and there from the other clients’ successes to make things happen.

As luck would have it, the day we started, Al Shearing and his clients came across a wounded buffalo cow that needed to be put down. The request was made to put that carcass in the cold room at Pedza for our use. This allowed us to put 1 good bait and 2, rather small for lion, baits in the trees on day 1. Our hope was that Wombat (Sean) would score on his tuskless soon and we could refresh with that.

Sean wanted an up close and personal type of hunt so he didn’t shoot until day 7. Meanwhile, we took care of business at hand. Day 3, early morning, we found where 2 Dugga Boys crossed the road. We stalked them until they bedded around 11:00am in a rather open area. While looking for them lying in the cover, we were surprised to see them stand up and bugger off from an open area of grass. Stalk blown! Who would have thought they would bed in the open? Deciding to let them calm down a bit, we had lunch at Pedza with the boys from down under. Jines’ comment about understanding every 4th word of Aussies is spot on. Sean was trying to tell me of his admiration for his beloved “See-ah-see” double 500NE. “Now who makes that gun Sean?”, I ask. “You know, See-ah-see”. Must be a new one I’ve not heard of but I nod my head instead of showing my ignorance since I think I know doubles fairly well and am a bit embarrassed to not know this maker!

I ask if he would like to shoot my VC 577NE. Of course he would. I get mine and he gets his. Then it becomes clear to me as he hands me a beautiful “Sir-see” (the way we pronounce Searcy in East Texas) Classic. Yep, two people separated by a common language! After shooting the two rifles for comparison, Sean’s comments were, and I quote: “I always thought the 500NE ruled the roost, but that 577NE makes me feel a bit ‘Soft C**ked’”. Funny guy, that Sean. A good one as well as far as I can tell.

After lunch, Blake and I hoped to find the 2 Dugga Boys still enjoying their heat of the day siesta. We found where they crossed the road and the stalk began. We found them after an hour or so of tracking in 115 F degree heat. Problem was that they laid down in the brush surrounding a Baobab tree right at the edge of a large jesse block. This left us no way to approach except over the open area with a quick retreat into the thick stuff for them. I don’t know how Blake did it but moving up slowly, slowly, we worked our way to within 40 yards before they alerted to our presence. With a quick snap of the fingers, the sticks went up and I was presented with a frontal shot at the smaller of the two bulls. Bait being the priority over trophy size, as soon as I received the go ahead, the 577NE sent a 700gr CEB Non-Con down range, followed quickly by a second. The first scored, the second missed as he disappeared into the jesse.

We soon found a large deposit of lung blood. As it turns out however, I misjudged the angle he presented and although I hit him where I aimed, I had placed the bullet just a bit too far to the left to get both lungs. Taking out only one lung, even with the 577NE meant that the bull had some fight remaining in him. We quickly got a glimpse of him early in the follow up but neither of us got a shot off. The old bull went into the thick stuff and over the next hour and a half, made 4 ever tightening circles, drawing us to the far edge of the jesse, then circling and running with the wind to the other end of the jesse before doing it again. The blood trail all but dried up and we had to call the trackers up to follow the tracks while we scanned the brush. We never had more than about 20 yards or so of visibility the entire time. That’s a long time to keep the attention focused intently and I will admit that although it was comforting to have that 577NE in hand, the weight became an issue after 30 minutes or so of carrying it at the ready, out in front, in a half stooped posture.

We soon realized the bull was running on adrenalin and decided to just stop and give him about 20 minutes. Problem being that now, remaining daylight was becoming an issue. It was the right move however as we soon found him looking back over his trail, having made the decision that he was to be pushed no further. Before he could muster any evil intentions however, I settled his account with a couple of 750gr solids. As mentioned, he is a fairly small bull in terms of trophy size but he was an old guy with one horn broken off and good bosses. He served the bait purpose well and in a timely manner. The fact that I took him in the thick stuff with open sights and a big bore double easily offset the fact that he isn’t 40 inches. In terms of a fulfilling experience, he provided all of that and more. Again, excellent execution of the stalk and follow up by Blake, as well as timeliness of acquiring additional bait for the lions.

Dugga Boy used for bait.

700gr CEB Non-Con recovered from the rear hind quarter after a frontal shot on the buffalo.

Speaking of lions, we had a group of 3, two females and one young male, in camp every night for the first 3 nights. Early morning on day 4, we heard a new voice calling in the hills. We all agreed this sounded more like a large male. We heard him calling again early during the morning hunt while half heartedly chasing a couple of tuskless eles in the drainage near our Mururu camp. While deciding if we should strike out for him in an attempt to track him or stick with the eles, we heard 2 distant gunshots near the Chewore / Dande boundary. Realizing we were the only hunters in the area, it was obvious these were poachers.

We immediately suspended the hunt, which I whole heartedly agreed to, and drove to the ranger station at Asuanga Asuanga to pick up 3 game scouts. We deployed them in the vicinity of the shots as quickly as possible. They were joined by 2 others later in the day. Mid afternoon, the call came over the radio that the scouts contacted the poachers (5 of them as well) and a shoot out occurred with the poachers firing 4 rounds . Return fire was initiated with AK-47s and 1 SKS. Result, two hits on poachers, 0 on the rangers. Blood trails were followed over the next 2 days with one poacher being hit rather badly. Further tracking was suspended when it was noticed that lions were also following his blood trail. 1 of the other 4 poachers was apprehended and brought into camp the following day. Quickly realizing I was not in the “need to know” loop, I didn’t inquire about the poacher’s near term prospects but suffice it to say that very shortly thereafter, the poachers camp was located, producing 4 full bags of paraphernalia.

The game scouts after a couple of days on the poachers trail with some of the contents from the poacher camp.

All concerned agreed that the poaching has gotten bad recently. Is it a result of the Chinese mining interests in Zim today? I don’t know but something needs to be done to get it under control and quickly. Further evidence of the problem can be found in a number of orphaned baby elephant roaming the bush. We found a couple of these youngsters that unfortunately are not going to make it on their own as they are too young. Discussing it around the campfire one night, we decided to attempt to help the situation by capturing and bringing in one baby that we had seen in the same place 2 days in a row. It was weak and thin, obviously too young to survive and only a matter of time until the lions found it. The plan was to get it to one of the nearby facilities that handle orphaned wildlife.

We found the little bull the following day and brought it to camp. We estimated it to be less than a year old. Interestingly enough, it had a through and through bullet wound that went through the left ear, then through the high shoulder, but under the spine, exiting on the far side. The holes were not sealed over, but appeared to be healing. All seemed well as it was feeding on the jesse surrounding camp and drinking from a bowl of water just fine. Unfortunately, the little guy couldn’t handle the stress and he died later that day. Obviously, we canceled the plan on the other orphan we knew about. No one wanted to go through that again. I’m sure some here will criticize our efforts to help this little guy as nature would have taken it’s course as it always does. But the fact that its mother was poached wasn’t a result of nature and we tried to do the right thing. Was it a mistake to get involved? I don’t think so but I can tell you it was one of the worst days I’ve spent afield. One thing is for sure, poachers have no heart. Not only to they have no concern for a dependent calf, but they shot the calf as well! Sons of bitches.

Blake and the orphaned bull.

The presence of this new male lion in the area caused our camp cats to depart for the hills. Probably because of the possibility of conflict between him and the adolescent male running with the two lionesses. Over the next several days, we had a minimum of 4 and maximum of 8 baits swinging in the wind. We got several hits by lionesses and a couple of young males, but nothing worth pursuing. Early on, Blake and I discussed what kind of cats we might have an opportunity on. He explained how the valley typically produces some large cats without much of a mane and that there is a cat known as “Half Tail” that is well known in the area. This cat lost part of it’s tail somehow, has a light colored mane that is typical of the area, and has a distinct track on it’s left front paw due to some sort of injury to the pad. I told Blake that I wanted to take a mature cat, no longer holding a pride, and as long as it met those conservation standards, I was less interested in how pretty it was. I was more interested in it being “The right cat”. He and I agreed that we were on the same page. If not mistaken, this “Half Tail” is the same lion that Buzz and Mike worked to get a month and a half earlier. I got the impression that the entire CMS team had known this cat for some time between his track and trail camera photos.

Turns out that “Half Tail” was a crafty old guy and a bit bait shy. He bounced around the entire Western DSA frequenting two different sets of 2 lionesses. Several times, we followed his very fresh tracks as they worked their way along our drag, heading to a bait site. Each time, the lionesses proceeded to the bait tree and he peeled off about 100 yards away. We never got a trail camera picture of him. Keeping baits fresh was a constant battle as we were getting about 3 days, 4 at the max before they turned into maggot soup. The time had come to get serious about my tuskless!

Maggot soup. Battling the heat and trying to keep baits useable.

Throughout the hunt, we had several close calls with tuskless and other cow elephant, but each time we got close, either the wind would betray us or in a couple of cases, the old cow would have a dependent calf causing us to back out at the last minute. We were chased by cows on three occasions this trip. Once on the very last day while heading back to camp, a large tusked cow came out of nowhere as we drove past. She chased the truck for 100 yards, trumpeting loudly the entire time. Unfortunately, we had the video camera put away. We did manage to get some photos however. That old girl is going to be an issue for someone walking through the bush one day. A perfect example of why you need to be locked and loaded while hunting in this area, all the while giving proper attention to gun safety under those circumstances.

After all the long stalks and tracking jobs we did trying to put it together on a tuskless, success finally came easily one morning just outside of camp about 3km. Driving out, we “accidently” split a large herd of elephant crossing the road, leaving 2 tuskless and a calf on the wrong side of the tracks. We got out of the cruiser and pursued. Actually, there wasn’t much pursuit as the two old girls wanted to cross that road badly and were a bit aggressive about it when push came to shove. We made sure which cow was without the calf and closed in. She stood her ground and I gave her the right barrel of the 577NE. I missed the brain a bit high and as she spun to depart, the left barrel found the mark, dropping her in place. A couple of chest shots followed to pay the insurance. We recovered two of the 750gr CEB BBW#13 Solids. One from the first frontal head shot and the second from one of the chest shots. Both were found just in front of the base of the tail. Stem to stern on a elephant. How’s that for penetration?

Tuskless. A bit smaller than the ones I've shot in Makuti.

Location of recovered bullet.

750gr CEB BBW#13 Solid from the 577NE.

A side note here. The CEB bullets were devastating on everything I shot, from the small to the large. Without a doubt, the Non-Con theory seems to work and work well. I’m sold on them. Concerning the 577NE; I really enjoyed hunting with this big gun but I have to say that I really didn’t see much difference in animal reaction to being shot with it as compared to the 500NE. I’ve said many times that IMO, the 500NE is the best of all worlds for a double as it offers better performance than the 450 to 470 class, while retaining roughly the same weight and recoil level. Anything larger and you jump up in recoil and weight without gaining much performance. Of course that is purely my opinion and after this hunt, I stand by those words!

Doubles!!

Comments about using only doubles on this trip. Well … they worked without a hitch. The little Chapuis 9.3 with the 1.25x4 Trijicon did everything it was asked to do. It’s the rifle I found in my hands most often by a long shot. And speaking of long shots, it held up its end of the bargain. No, a double isn’t just for 50 yards. Some of the following pics demonstrate this. It also isn’t a 500 yard, benchrest accurate rifle either. It’s a hunting arm, pure and simple, designed to take game cleanly at normal shooting distances.

Grysbuck taken at 125 yards:

Duiker taken at 50 yards:

Warthog taken at 150 yards:

Klipspringer taken at 60 yards:

I’ve mentioned before that I’ve never entered an animal into the record books but reserve the right to do so. Well, I think my first animal will be the Klippy. If Blake’s measurements hold up, he will go into the book at number 15 with a score of 15 and 8/16ths. I’ve been trying for a Klippy for years and it finally came together in a big way. Thanks to Benanni our lead tracker for finding him. While on the subject, here are the other members of our team.

Blake – PH extraordinaire! Blake says this is his Hollywood portfolio photo for when he goes into the movies if the PH gig doesn’t work out.

Ray – Cameraman. Good company to have around. Hard worker always putting in the extra effort to get a good or unusual angle. I would love to hunt with Ray again anytime.

Benanni – Lead tracker.

Shumani – Second tracker.

Agent – Driver and general helper.

Smart – Game Scout.

With the bait from my tuskless beginning to age a bit, we were getting down to the wire on quota. The only real option we had remaining, suitable for lion baits, was an eland bull. Heresy, one might think to feed a fine eland to the lions instead of using him for table fare! Agreed, but it was the only thing remaining except an ele bull over in Ward 11 and as long as Buzz didn’t start bending my ear on that one, I wouldn’t have to take out a second mortgage on the family farm!

An extremely well fed Tsetse fly.

During an extended tracking job chasing an old eland bull, Agent checked on two of our bait sites. The radio call came in stating that our least likely site had been hit and that there were mane hairs on it. We quickly suspended the eland pursuit and got to the bait site. 2 white and 1 black hairs about 14 inches long! A plan was made to build two blinds. One on each end of the river for use depending on the wind. The decision was made to sit that evening for the first time, now day 15.

At 5 minutes to 6:00pm, a large lioness walked silently in front of our blind. No one saw or heard her until she appeared down the hill, near the bait. I pointed her out to Blake. An agonizing 10 minutes later, another lioness came down the trail from the opposite direction to our left. Again, I was in position to see her first. As Blake glassed her, she caught movement in the blind, stopped mid stride, and stared us down for an eternity. We all thought it was over but she turned her head and proceeded to the bait. Shortly after, another lion appeared on the same trail. Again I nudged Blake and he instructed me to place the gun in the shooting window while he glassed it. “Take him, take him” was the order and without giving Ray quite enough time to get zoomed in, the first shot was on it’s way. He rolled down the hill toward the dry riverbed as I followed him as best I could in the scope. I saw a glimpse of his chest and fired the second barrel just as he disappeared below the bank.

We were all in a bit of shock that it had actually happened. An intense follow up ensued finding the lion right where he fell off the bank. Blake reached down and showed me its tail. No tip. It was the “Half Tail” cat. The pictures appear washed out but he had a huge head and very dark body, especially the rear haunches. Worn, yellowish orange teeth with a rounded cusp on the back of the fangs. Black nose, mane tufts in front of the ears, facial scars; all indications of an old lion.

25 inch skull!

I suppose the AR armchair quarterbacking will now begin but I’ll say this. I’m confident we took the right lion on this hunt. At the same time we were in the blind, another great male hit our bait down in Chico. He is a better lion from the pure trophy standpoint. Clearly however, he is holding a traditional pride with youngsters. IMO, he would have been the wrong choice from the conservation standpoint.

The Chico lion with his pride.

We finished off the Safari with a trip to Buzz’s fish camp on the Zambezi. 4 trips to Zim and this was my first opportunity to see the river. I have to say I found it fascinating to see the people living along the banks, and the fishermen using nets in their dugout canoes. What an enjoyable way to end a great adventure. I even managed to catch a tiger fish. A lion and a tiger on the same hunt. What a way to finish.

Odds and ends:

We shared camp with several different groups throughout this hunt. All great people. Dante and Pedro from Brazil and Paraguay respectively, Jytte and her daughter Julia from Denmark, and the 3 crazy Aussies already mentioned. I really enjoyed meeting and spending time with all of them. Met Alan Shearing as well. I’ve read and heard a lot about him here on AR. He is a super nice guy with a great sense of humor. But you do need to keep an eye on him or else you’ll end up taking a shower with a Hyena or something of that nature!

A friend enjoying a sun bath in the heat of the day.

Buzz, you know I’ll be back! It was some of the most interesting 18 days of my life! Thanks to CMS for everything and Mike, Del Frisco’s is calling our names when you get to DSC!

Me and Blake celebrating the lion.

Packing the cruiser for the long voyage home.

The sun sets on a great adventure.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Brilliant and very well done on your trophy Lion.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, Todd. I wished that you at least had a little fun!!! Great hunt report and that is a nice trophy lion. So the next trip is when???

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Simply outstanding! You have managed to get some super trophies indeed. Well done Blake and well done CMS

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Congrats to another great Safari under the belt. beer

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Well done Todd!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt and a tremendous Lion.

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a Fine time.
Congrats on the Great lion

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd
What a great hunt my friend !!!
Glad you got that great extra value for money courtesy of Mr Jines !!
That lion looks like "Stumpy" that we had on trail cam during my hunt last year. We all thought he had been shot in Chewore.
Regards
Rob

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
clap

beer

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Todd
What a hunt!! beer

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Todd: SO Happy for you my friend! I was surprized that this 'little' hunt turned into such a major safari. Good for you.
You certainly proved up to the task! Great Report. Wonderful Pictures!
It is an unspeakable, terrible thing to be so addicted to the African Safari life. How much smoother my life would be without that addiction. How much emptier would all our lives be without it.
You have a message on your phone.............

Posts: 501 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Todd, Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Sam

Posts: 2827 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Great report Todd! thanks very much for sharing. Great trophies!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7136 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Todd,great hunt.

Pete Barnard Safaris
www.africanhunting.biz

Posts: 141 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice comments guys. It was a great adventure. I can't believe it's over already!

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Todd...Well done on your "inexpensive" Safari
Great Lion!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Todd, great report!

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!!!

Fantastic stuff!

Welcome back and thanks for a great report.

Congratulations on a fantastic safari.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3456 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a super hunt Todd... that lion is worth the trip and I am sure MJ is very happy you connected! Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Great trip Todd and congratulations on the lion. It is indeed "Stumpy". We tracked Stumpy for almost nine hours on the last day of my hunt but simply could not catch up with him. Bumped him once and after that he was a man on a mission. Glad you were able to connect on him. I am looking forward to that steak in Dallas.

Mike

Posts: 21090 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
It will be my pleasure Mike!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a waste of time! You could have been lying on a beach somewhere soaking up rays!

(Couldn't resist...it's the line my wife always uses on me when I go hunting...)

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great safari and a fine lion.

A for your struggles with blisters, I highly recommend the book "Fixing Your Feet". It saved me on a recent elk hunt.

http://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Y...tments/dp/0899976387

Posts: 986 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Great hunt Todd

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The klipspringer may be trophy book material, but the "Outer Circle Awards" won on this safari are magnificent, many times over.
clap

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Nice lion, Todd!

Strange how those "inexpensive" hunts take on a life of their own! Big Grin

I'm sure there are no complaints from you, awesome report, enjoyed the hell out of reading it!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
The klipspringer may be trophy book material, but the "Outer Circle Awards" won on this safari are magnificent, many times over.
clap

Buff and Grysbuck? I like them old and ugly!! Can the Tsetse fly be an "Outer Circle Award" also?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buff and grysbuck, broken-horned, are easy definites for Outer Circle Award.
Hospice care of dying, bullet-wounded, starving, poacher-orphaned, infant elephants also qualifies. tu2

But the tsetse does not cut it,
that one goes into the regular trophy books, ranked by body weight on capture!!!
Rowland Ward and SCI system are the same for this species.
Boone and Crockett does not list them. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice report and trophies! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd. Congratulations again, thank you for bringing me back with your fine hunt report and the great photos. Fine shooting and impressive focus for so many days.

Julia and I enjoyed your company in Mururu camp very much. Cool as a cucumber you were when you encountered Boris, the hyena, in your shower.

We are happy we had the chance, and had a look at your monster lion (Julia's words) - awesome experience for the both of us. Certainly for you, the hunter.

I'm glad you had the chance to fish the Zambezi.

Kind regards from Copenhagen.
Jytte

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Way to go Todd and Blake! tu2

Nice report, appreciate the pictures and detail.

Shame about the orphaned elephant, I came across one years ago in the Caprivi Strip that followed us around for a while. I was with a battle-hardened Rhodesian PH, and he too was clearly impacted.

My lion is also missing the end of his tail, and with the scars left as they were, it makes a pretty neat mount.

All the best, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Welcome home and congrats on a successful safari. Looks like a great big, old Lion.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Todd,

what an outstanding safari. Hard hunting and rewards. Way to go.

Mike. tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Congratulations on a great hunt and welcome
back.

Marcus

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Again, thanks for all the kind remarks everyone.

RIP - Smiler

Jytte - It was my pleasure to share camp with you and Julia. Congrats again on your ele! And thanks for rescuing us from the dead battery!!

FishN4 - Mission creep I think it's called. Eeker

JWM - There was plenty of sand and sun to go around! Whistling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done, Todd. You should be very proud of those trophies.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and report Todd. Awesome klippy amoung other great trophies.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote