ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    CMS Chewore North Elephant Bull/Tuskless Cow (April 2012)

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMS Chewore North Elephant Bull/Tuskless Cow (April 2012)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter: Charlton McCallum Safaris
Dates: April 17 – May 1, 2012
Area Hunted: Chewore North
Species: Elephant bull/tuskless cow
PH: Alan Shearing
Rifle: Ruger .458 Lott
Bullet: Barnes Banded Solid; 500 gr.
This hunt initially was booked as an elephant/buffalo hunt by me and my hunting buddy Paul C., and was scheduled to take place in late May, 2012 in the Dande North area. Buzz Charlton and Myles McCallum were scheduled to act as PH’s. Subsequently, when we met Buzz and Myles at the Dallas Safari Club show in January, 2011, Buzz suggested that if buffalo was not of primary importance and our real focus was elephant, he would propose that we move the hunt forward to April. My impression is that in April the grass and jess has not yet burned off, so while plains game is more difficult, the chance of seeing a big bull tusker is greater. We agreed that buffalo were not the focus of our hunt.
Facilities. Two months before the hunt was to commence, Buzz contacted us to advise that he was moving the hunt from the Dande Safari Area to Mwanja Camp on the western side of Chewore North, near Sapi area. Buzz believed that this area would be superior for big tuskers, and communicated that after the first night, the camp would empty except for us. As it turned out, Chifuti Safaris had a group of two Salvadoran hunters in camp the entire time we were there. This turned into an unexpectedly pleasant surprise, as the two hunters (Carlos Escobar and Salvador Vilanova) were among the most interesting and amiable hunting companions one could ask for. The Mwanja Camp is comfortable and situated in a very scenic part of the Zambesi River valley, with fishing boats available for tiger fishing. Because it took me a while to locate and shoot a decent bull, I didn’t get to avail myself of as much relaxation in camp and fishing as I would have hoped for, but then I wasn’t there to fish.

PH Alan Shearing. The expectation was that we would be hunting with Buzz and Myles. In January, 2012, we were informed that Myles had a conflicting commitment, so my PH would be Alan Shearing. Alan was a great addition to the party. He’s good-natured, has a calm demeanor and is exceedingly knowledgeable about the bush. As detailed further below in the hunt report, Alan is the consummate professional hunter; perfectly affable but serious when he needs to be.

Trackers and Driver. Those who have done any serious hunting in Africa know that the crew of trackers and drivers are critical. To my mind this is especially true of an elephant hunt where, truth be told, the client is largely superfluous to the hunt --- except for those final couple of seconds when he is called upon to place the shot properly. Elephant hunting largely consists of getting on a promising track and then following that track for hours over every imaginable terrain until one gets a good look at the beast making the track. Alan’s tracking crew of Martin and Meplan (phonetic spelling) were top notch and relentless to a fault (the fault being that sometimes after 7-8 hours of meticulous and exhausting tracking, I was ready to call it quits and head back for an icy cold beer, while they simply did not want to give up as long as there was a shred of a hope of regaining a faint track). Along with Bernard the driver, I have nothing but highest praise for Alan’s team. I’ll also mention here that Alan is a superb tracker himself. On occasions when we lost a track, I estimate that about a third of the time, it was Alan himself that picked up the often faint spoor. As for me, I just followed along behind him feeling like a fool for being unable to see any of what my team was seeing.

Game Scout. You don’t get a choice in game scouts, and the scout assigned to us was regrettable. Nelson was cordial, and he generally pulled his weight in trying to pick up lost tracks and performing the physical tasks associated with the hunt. However, he insisted on walking around with a cocked and locked AK-47 behind my back. Alan warned him off loudly, but I know what the cocking indicator looks like on an AK, and this guy obviously kept sneaking a round into the chamber. True he had the safety on, but I have little regard for the safety of safeties. The game scout is the sole serious negative I have to report about this hunt. My impression is that this was Nelson’s first dangerous game hunt and he frankly was scared about having an unloaded gun as we walked into close proximity with the ellies. With him carrying a loaded automatic weapon pointed at my kidneys, that made two of us on this hunt who were scared.

The Hunt. I will not bore you with repetitive details of the first six days of the hunt. “Famba” is the Shona word for “walk.” And boy did we ever famba the pads off of our feet. My estimate is that we walked on average about 12-15 kilometers per day. Temparatures during the day were high. The thermometer in camp showed 94 fahrenheit at 5:30 pm one evening, so the first couple of days I was fairly dehydrated. By the third day, I was reminding myself to drink a pint of water approximately every 90 minutes, and that worked well.
Much of the countryside in Chewore is steep and the footing loose and unsure. I had thought I’d trained for the hunt by hiking 3-5 miles per day in the months leading up to the hunt. I should have at least doubled that training load. Likewise, the elephant are not usually found on paths --- they are holed up in the deep jess brush, so my training on nicely groomed hiking trails hadn’t readied me for the brush busting, stooping, frogwalking and scrambling that the hunting involved. I’d told Buzz that I hoped for a good, hard hunt, and that wish was delivered in spades. By the end of the first day, I radically reconfigured my equipment to get rid of my rifle sling, all shirts with epaulette tabs, all shorts with protruding fabric loops --- in other words, everything that could snag itself on the brush.
On day 7, we left camp promptly at 6 a.m. On the airstrip located about 300 yards out of camp, we found a fresh track of what appeared to be a large bull with very worn pads. By 6:10, we were following the track along the edge of the concession, and keeping our fingers crossed that the elephant did not veer a few hundred yards right, into a no-hunting zone. Luckily, the bull began veering southwesterly, deeper into the concession. After about an hour of tracking, we caught up with him. Alan got excited when he first took a look: an old bull with remarkably even tusks, which Alan estimated were about 17 inches in girth at the lip and likely to go about 45 pounds apiece. Alan advised that I take a side brain shot at approximately 20 yards, but I frankly couldn’t see any feature of the elephant except for a wall of gray flesh. As we quietly discussed the elephant’s orientation through the screen of jess, he apparently got wind of us and began to move off at a reasonably brisk pace. At this point, Alan said he figured we were in for an all day stalk.
However, after half an hour of additional tracking, we were walking into a shallow gully, when we saw the bull standing in the jess, uphill from us about 25 yards. It turned toward us and lifted its head above the brush. Alan said “take the shot.” My first shot looked to me dead-on for a frontal brain shot --- it wasn’t. Apparently it hit high, as the elephant staggered, spun around and began to take off. At this stage, I believe I set a new record for emptying a bolt action magazine, as I put one shot behind its left ear and two more shots “into the gray” as the bull careened into the jess. Alan also took a follow up shot with his .416. (5 shots taken so far in the first 4-5 seconds of encounter). Some of the hurried follow-on shots must have had effect, as the elephant slowed noticeably from a run to a walk after about 75 yards. Alan and I sprinted over the ridge in the gully, with me attempting a running reload (two rounds made it into the rifle; one spilled onto the ground), and saw it again. I placed one shot in its right rear hip, anchoring it, and one more that was intended to be in its right ear, but actually went into the neck just behind the ear. The elephant came to a halt and fell on its right side. Final insurance shot into the brain. So, all told, eight bullets were shot, of which we recovered six Barnes Banded Solids. No one is mistaking me for Karamojo Bell at this point. All the recovered bullets were in effectively “reloadable condition,” with no visible distortion. The shot that I placed behind the left ear went through the skull and lodged in the opposite ear, wherethe Barnes bullet was clearly visible just under the skin.

No final weight on the ivory yet, but informal estimate is that it will weigh between 45-50 pounds. He was an old bull, just coming into his sixth set of molars.

Days 8, 9 and 10: With the bull elephant down, we commenced the buffalo hunt. This also involved a significant amount of famba. Alan noted that the buffalo herds in the Chewore area appeared to be under intense pressure from abundant lionesses, and we saw much evidence of this. The groups we followed were quite small, and they tended to be moving with no particular pattern (corkscrew circles, perhaps? I’m no tracker, but I know I walked over my own tracks a couple of time during one afternoon). After three fruitless days of buffalo hunting, I suggested that instead of an elephant /buffalo hunt, what seemed to make the most sense in this area, under its current conditions, was a bull elephant, tuskless cow hunt. Buzz said that if I was serious, he thought that was an excellent idea. From a personal perspective, I was highly interested in hunting another elephant immediately, as 1) seven shots into the first elephant was not the kind of shooting I wanted to advertise at home, and 2) the experience of bringing down the first elephant had sped by so quickly that I scarcely could recall the details, and was ready to try my hand again at hunting Nzou.

Days 11, 12 and 13: Famba, famba, famba. And then some more famba. But by now, I’m an old hand at it, and frankly am enjoying the long distance walking. The blisters are gone (as are my two full length rolls of Dr. Scholes moleskin), and the bottoms of my feet are nice and leathery. I’m also about 10 pounds lighter, so the hills have gotten easier. Alan Shearing is a fine naturalist, and during the walks he passed the time by pointing out, among other things: 4 honey badgers, a pangolin, a caracal, a black mamba, an anaconda, a pack of 14 wild dogs.

The tuskless cow hunt was actually more exciting than hunting a lone bull, as one often finds oneself trying to be small and unnoticed in the midst of a herd of feeding cows with calves. We walked into two herds that had no tuskless females, before finally finding our tuskless. I found myself often wishing for a much quieter set of footwear.

Finally, on the last day of active hunting, day 13, we got on the track of a small herd of cows about eight a.m. and Alan determined there was a tuskless cow in the herd. We bumped them once and they moved off, but came to a rest about half a mile away where we caught up with them around 9:15. The tuskless cow had the decency to stand alone, and I took the shot which, as best we could tell later passed from the front right quarter of the head to the back left ear, but travelled just beneath the brain pan the whole way. It didn’t matter much, though, as she was completely stunned and didn’t move more than about two feet from the spot where she was first hit. One more shot just forward of her right earhole and she fell.

This was far and away the finest hunt of my life. CMS handled every aspect of the hunt exceedingly well, and I could not ask for a better PH than Alan Shearing. The camp was very comfortable and well run, with plenty of good cold beer and good food. I’m currently checking the bank balance and trying to determine how quickly I can return. Cheers!

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Congrats! A hunt with CMS is definitely one that will provide memories for a lifetime.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a superb hunt--congratulations to all

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! I'd love to see some pictures, hint, hint.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to admit that, while I have lots of pics, I am so technologically illiterate that I couldn't figure out how to attach pictures. Anyone have any simpleton level assistance they could give.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
In the Classifieds forum it tells you how to post pics using Photobucket.

Or email me a FEW and I post them for you.

bill99@embarqmail.com

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, I did the same hunt with Alan last month. His is a great PH. How did your hunting partner do?

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
An anaconda in Zim? You sure about that? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt, and thanks for the report.
You seem to have gotten bitten by the ele bug. You're done for. I was considering retiring three years ago, but that is now on indefinite hold. If I retire, no more elephant hunting.

CMS provides a first class experience, consistently. When are you going back? I'm counting the days until next April.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Looks like someone else is hooked on Ele Hunting!!! Thanks for the quality report and looking forward to looking at the Pics.

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Python. Not anaconda. Just me being stupid. Sorry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeonKomkov:
quote:
Originally posted by gunny:
Congratulations, I did the same hunt with Alan last month. His is a great PH. How did your hunting partner do?

My hunting buddy, Paul Coughlin, took a bull elephant that had a left tusk materially longer than mine (8 or 9 inches longer, I'd estimate), but Alan and Buzz felt that overall weight would run about the same due to the thickness of my bull's tusks. I'm encouraging him to post his own report.

P.S. Gunny: Alan asked me to post a letter to your wife when I got back to the states. You should be getting that in the mail in the next day or so.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well written hunt report and nicely done on your two elephant trophies! CMS is undoubtably one of the finer outfits in Zimbabwe! Thanks for posting.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Some pics of/for Leon in God's country.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, thank you for helping post the pics. And Bill C thanks for your kind offer of assistance to help me out with the pics, too.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Very nice bull! Congratulations on a fine hunt and thanks for the report tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Very Nice bull Leon, congratulations! Well done to Al and his team too. I'm not sure that there is a better experience in Africa than a tracking hunt in wild country for a trophy bull elephant...except maybe a trophy bull plus a tuskless!!!

That picture along the banks of the Zambezi is awesome. Thanks for the report and pictures.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leon, Thanks for forwarding the letter from Alan. We got it already. Those pictures sure tell a great story. Very nice bulls for both of you. Glad to see I'm not the only one with white legs!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Very nice tuskers!! That's some thick ivory on your bull Leon! Congrats.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Leon very nice bull elephant. Good shooting.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Well written hunt report and nicely done on your two elephant trophies! CMS is undoubtably one of the finer outfits in Zimbabwe! Thanks for posting.

tu2

Excellent, congratulations Leon and Paul!

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, and beautiful ivory. tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Leon

Just back for a day after my last hunt with Rob Jolly and setting off again tomorrow for another ele. Just to let you know that your official weights were 48 and 47 lbs respectively. Not sure whether yours of Pauls was 1 pound heavier!!!! Both beautiful eles congrats!

Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vince Hazen
posted Hide Post
Leon! Awesome hunt and fantastic bull. I did not know you were a hunter. Give me a shout and I will buy you lunch and we can trade lies. Vince 577-8585

Posts: 149 | Location: Lometa, Texas | Registered: 05 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leon,

Good show! Ah! The lower Zambezi.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote