ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan and PH Johann Biewenga TRUTHFUL PARODY ADDED!!
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan and PH Johann Biewenga TRUTHFUL PARODY ADDED!!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
I think Saeed has a point as well.It would be unfair for other safari companies if they had to play by the rules and only use a PH from SA.

It is a lot worse in this case.

Shawn advertises hunts with Mark Sullivan right in the open, on the Internet, knowing full well Sullivan is not licensed to conduct hunts in South Africa.

The farm owner is right there with him, as he allows him to do so.

It does not get any lower in business dealings than this.

It is just plain disgusting!

What is more, this was brought up by me before, but Shawn continues to ply his illegal trade!

Who would want to do business with an individual who blatantly sells illegal hunts??

What if Sullivan was acting as a PH? What harm can possibly come by this? Why is it such a big deal?

If you really cannot see the problem, then it is pointless for me trying to explain it to you!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Yeah I'm afraid I don't go for the hero worship stuff. I mean take a photo with him if you want. The photo's I have of Dylan, Walter, the crew and I around my buff are ones I'll treasure for the rest of my life. But to use a photo of MS with your trophy, and framed no less, (I do hope the hunter is in it as well Big Grin) as a selling point makes me laugh.

Now don't get me wrong, if MS started pissing bourbon and shitting gold nuggets I'll worship the hell out of him, but until then..... sofa

ps.....do you get to pick the frame or does MS do that? popcorn

"Yeah,I don't go for hero worship"

Are you for real? All you've been doing on AR is cheerleading for Saeed.

That's because Saeed made him a Moderator here on AR and took him on Safari to Tanzania all expenses paid a few years back.

But nope, nope, nope, he doesn't worship Saeed!

Talk about a compromised opinion!

I don't care who you are ... That's funny right there!!!

clap

Cool

One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AR MAN:
What do you mean by using two id’s regarding “2PIPE”?
Thanks

2pipe and nickh is one person.

Good to know,now maybe he will no longer post hunt reports under both names,the term slime bag comes to mind jumping

Could be best to wait for an explanation before jumping to this.Excuse my ignorance but what is wrong with using two identities?

Looks like he is trying to hide something. When one persona ticks someone off he could just switch to to the other without having to reapply. Or one is for positive comments and one is for negative.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by #1 of 13:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AR MAN:
What do you mean by using two id’s regarding “2PIPE”?
Thanks

2pipe and nickh is one person.

Good to know,now maybe he will no longer post hunt reports under both names,the term slime bag comes to mind jumping

Could be best to wait for an explanation before jumping to this.Excuse my ignorance but what is wrong with using two identities?

Looks like he is trying to hide something. When one persona ticks someone off he could just switch to to the other without having to reapply. Or one is for positive comments and one is for negative.

Doesn't the 2PIPE handle belong to Nick's brother in law who also hunts Africa? Nick wasn't the type to get into shit throwing fests.I haven't seen him ever getting into to an argument with anyone here.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What's a 'big hard-headed bull'? Confused I've known a lot of 'hard headed' people (some of you right here on AR), and I've shot a few hard bossed cape buffalo, but a 'big hard headed bull' I have yet to run across. Big Grin In my mind, it must be a real obstinate, nasty and hard to get along with, "it's his way and no other', bull! rotflmo : Damn, the choice of words that have been used in this thread or are being used in this thread is REALLY MAKING THIS WHOLE THING QUITE FUNNY! rotflmo rotflmo

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:
Yeah I'm afraid I don't go for the hero worship stuff. I mean take a photo with him if you want. The photo's I have of Dylan, Walter, the crew and I around my buff are ones I'll treasure for the rest of my life. But to use a photo of MS with your trophy, and framed no less, (I do hope the hunter is in it as well Big Grin) as a selling point makes me laugh.

Now don't get me wrong, if MS started pissing bourbon and shitting gold nuggets I'll worship the hell out of him, but until then..... sofa

That's because Saeed made him a Moderator here on AR and took him on Safari to Tanzania all expenses paid a few years back.

clap

Cool

And there it is. Didn't take long-

Saeed made him a moderator and took him on a trip...whaaaaaa CRYBABY rotflmo

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnny_Revolver
posted Hide Post
If someone offered you an all expenses paid hunting trip to Africa, in the back of your mind would you have niggling thoughts about getting a shot of Wild Turkey and a kick up the arse after being told you had 20 minute head start?

Confused

Posts: 131 | Location: South east Queensland Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

clap

Cool

That was kind of low Todd. If you ever met Tony you would not have said that. And if that hunt was offered to you I doubt you or others would have turned it down.

Hey, love the breakfast the Singapore Airlines lounge in Sydney - leave for LAX in about an hour.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
quote:
quote:

clap

Cool

That was kind of low Todd. If you ever met Tony you would not have said that. And if that hunt was offered to you I doubt you or others would have turned it down.

Hey, love the breakfast in the Singapore Airlines lounge in Sydney - leave for LAX in about an hour.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Hey mate, you survived the NT. Have a good trip?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I have never seen a buffalo in such open country ... other than a Bison. Might as well have been wearing a neon light on its head.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Why instead of all this BS, doesn't someone prersent their concerns to the appropriate authorities and let them sort it out?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

clap

Cool

And there it is. Didn't take long-

Saeed made him a moderator and took him on a trip...whaaaaaa CRYBABY rotflmo

Tony,

It never fails Mate!

One cannot buy class.

And having your head stuck up both Mark Sullivan and SCI rear ends does not help either! jumping

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Why instead of all this BS, doesn't someone prersent their concerns to the appropriate authorities and let them sort it out?

That is the last thing we would like to see.

Laws have clearly been broken.

By the booking agent, Mark Sullivan, and the farm owner.

Cal has not done anything wrong.

My point of raising this up is to stop this sort of thing becoming normal.

Both Shawn and Mark Sullivan have shown they have no honest bone in their bodies.

They will do ANYTHING to make a buck, regardless of what laws are broken, and lies being posted right in the open on the Internet.

Several farm owners and professional hunters in South Africa are very upset about this.

Shawn has left no doubt in anyone's mind that those hunts he is offering are to be guided by Mark Sullivan..

Cal is trying his best to cover this up - after he had written a complete hunt report describing Marks as the person guiding him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Saeed, what the hell is being accomplished by this constant accusation BS.

If something was done illegally and it can be proven, Do So!

This whole thread has turned into the exact same shit that is taking place in the Crater!

People are claiming Trump is guilty while others claim his innocence, no different thsan what you are doing on this discussion!

It is past time someone stepped forward and either presented evidence so an investigation can be started or let it drop before someone does just that!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Saeed, what the hell is being accomplished by this constant accusation BS.

If something was done illegally and it can be proven, Do So!

This whole thread has turned into the exact same shit that is taking place in the Crater!

People are claiming Trump is guilty while others claim his innocence, no different thsan what you are doing on this discussion!

It is past time someone stepped forward and either presented evidence so an investigation can be started or let it drop before someone does just that!

I am not sure what part of this you do not understand.

Mark Sullivan, and American citizen, is employed to guide paying clients to hunt in South Africa, without him being licensed to do so by the South African authorities.

Don't take my word for it, both Shawn and Cal have stated it as such, and left no doubt that is what he is doing.

Shawn is blatantly advertising hunts with Mark Sullivan, knowing full well he is NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED TO GUIDE clients in South Africa.

What else would you like me to explain to you next??

Read Shawn's own offers I posted above, you might see what I mean.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey mate, you survived the NT. Have a good trip?

Not a great trip but I survived - just landed LAX.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Saeed, for once in your life, get it into your head that I DO Understand and a lot better than YOU.

It does not how loud or long you blather about all the illegalities of Mr. Pappas's hunt and the roles played by Mark Sullivan et al.

Unless or until the appropriate authorities get involved and investigate the whole affair and prove someones guilt or innocence.

It is not that hard to understand Saeed, you firmly believe that the hunt was done illegally, that is fine.

What is not fine is that you are expecting those involved to just openly admit to it here on the site.

I really do not see how any of what I just described above as being not understandable, to any one that has been following the discussion.

What will be accomplished for anyone if Mr. Pappas comes on here and openly admits that all of you suspicions are totally True, who will actually benefit?

Will Accurate Reloading Forums benefit in any way?

What happens if an official investagation is started and no illegalities are confirmed?

On the other side of the coin what if an investigation was started and charges filed on all those involved in the hunt?

No Saeed there is nothing hard for anyone to understand about this, except for the names of the players this is not all that unlike what is happening in America concerning Trump's Presidency the haters want him crucified, the faithful want him deified.

You have a burning hatred for Mark Sullivan and anything doing with him while others do display a level of Hero Worship for him, and that really grinds your gears.

But to continue to make claims/accusations without some form of official evidence that the hunt was conducted illegally seems meaningless, just as all the crap being slung in the Crater concerning Trump, unless or until there is verifiable PROOF that illegal activities occurred in either situation nothing is being accomplished by anyone.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Saeed, for once in your life, get it into your head that I DO Understand and a lot better than YOU.

It does not how loud or long you blather about all the illegalities of Mr. Pappas's hunt and the roles played by Mark Sullivan et al.

Unless or until the appropriate authorities get involved and investigate the whole affair and prove someones guilt or innocence.

It is not that hard to understand Saeed, you firmly believe that the hunt was done illegally, that is fine.

What is not fine is that you are expecting those involved to just openly admit to it here on the site.

I really do not see how any of what I just described above as being not understandable, to any one that has been following the discussion.

What will be accomplished for anyone if Mr. Pappas comes on here and openly admits that all of you suspicions are totally True, who will actually benefit?

Will Accurate Reloading Forums benefit in any way?

What happens if an official investagation is started and no illegalities are confirmed?

On the other side of the coin what if an investigation was started and charges filed on all those involved in the hunt?

No Saeed there is nothing hard for anyone to understand about this, except for the names of the players this is not all that unlike what is happening in America concerning Trump's Presidency the haters want him crucified, the faithful want him deified.

You have a burning hatred for Mark Sullivan and anything doing with him while others do display a level of Hero Worship for him, and that really grinds your gears.

But to continue to make claims/accusations without some form of official evidence that the hunt was conducted illegally seems meaningless, just as all the crap being slung in the Crater concerning Trump, unless or until there is verifiable PROOF that illegal activities occurred in either situation nothing is being accomplished by anyone.

All I care about is that no crook posts illegal hunt offers on AR.

Nor hunters participating in these illegal hunts post their hunt reports on AR.

I called Shawn before on his illegal hunts, he still persisted in reminding us of them.

He then he goes further and tells us the number of people who have participated in these illegal hunts, loud and clear.

I could not careless what either him or Cal represent or hunt with.

But when it is questionable, keep out of AR.

Shawn is welcome to post his offers on other websites that charge him for it, and protect his crooked ways.

We do not charge any professional hunter, outfitter or agent anything.

But we do expect them to be honest in their offers.

Liars and crooks are certainly not welcome here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then the ball is in your court!

You don't want such things posted on YOUR SITE, then change your protocol/standards and require that hunt reports will have to go thru a specified time limit proof reading process.

Yes that would be a pain in the ass to implement, but if there isn't some form of mandated rules on the issue that are stringently enforced stuff will slip thru the cracks.

Also, what good is being done for anyone, especially hunting clients/potential clients if they are contemplating doing a hunt with someone that may be doing illegal hunts and even that it is known or suspicioned that they are offering such hunts and those with actual knowledge of their operation, do not step forward and get the appropriate authorities involved to shut down such operations?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not call such a hunt illegal.What is illegal about it? The hunt was as legal as can be IMO.What you should question is if or not Sullivan has a right to be there.That is to be debated.If it was illegal for a PH from another country to be in camp or be an observer even then the hunt would not be illegal.It is certainly controversial and I understand Saeed's concern.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ultimate question that no one has given any factual evidence on is was the hunt ACTUALLY illegal?

The parties that participated in the hunt seem to firmly everything was perfectly legal.

Saeed firmly believes it was illegal

It can't be both ways.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
The ultimate question that no one has given any factual evidence on is was the hunt ACTUALLY illegal?

The parties that participated in the hunt seem to firmly everything was perfectly legal.

Saeed firmly believes it was illegal

It can't be both ways.

The ultimate question is why do you keep on asking these questions when everything has been answered ? read & read again, it's all there!!!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite an interesting thread.

South Africa is a bit complicated with the laws as each of the nine provinces has their own set of regulations.

However, as explained to me by the nature conservation officer at the time of writing my exam, a client has to only be under the SUPERVISION of a licensed professional hunter. A client has the ability to dictate how he wishes to hunt as long as no laws are broken. An example of this is two friends come hunting together, They can ask the PH to take a step back and let them dictate the terms of the hunt. The PH is only obligated to step in if the clients are breaking any laws.

It’s a common practise all over Africa. Not limited to just SA. I have seen plenty offers on this site by outfitters practising this (NON SA PHs).

Posts: 386 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

OUTSTANDING! Congrats on a great Buffalo. Sharing a safe hunt and campfire smoke with people you enjoy is living on a high order.

As to what has everyone's back up, I am not qualified to voice an opinion, but, I will say this, an empty wagon usually rattles the most and the loudest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The ultimate question is why do you keep on asking these questions when everything has been answered ? read & read again, it's all there!!!

Nothing has been answered.

Are you saying it is perfectly okay to point out illegal activities and NOT do anything to put a stop to them?????

Nothing is "All There"!

Saeed believes the hunt as reported was illegal, yet he has NO Verifiable Proof of his claim.

Mr. Pappas seems to be of the opinion that no illegal activities took place!

Point being that UNLESS or UNTIL someone is willing to get the authorities that have actual jurisdiction over such a hunt involved, all we have is people making accusations that they can not substantiate.

One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Nothing has been answered.

Are you saying it is perfectly okay to point out illegal activities and NOT do anything to put a stop to them?????

Nothing is "All There"!

Saeed believes the hunt as reported was illegal, yet he has NO Verifiable Proof of his claim.

Mr. Pappas seems to be of the opinion that no illegal activities took place!

Point being that UNLESS or UNTIL someone is willing to get the authorities that have actual jurisdiction over such a hunt involved, all we have is people making accusations that they can not substantiate.
Afer reading the last few posts again could you repeat yourself? I don’t think think I understand your problem.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem.

Cal Pappas posted a report on a hunt he did, and Saeed believes the hunt was conducted illegally.

Saeed makes this site available.

Saeed openly stated in this discussion:
quote:

If Saeed honestly believes the hunt that was reported on by Cal Pappas was illegal, Why has he A. allowed the report to remain on the site, and B, not contacted the appropriate authorities with his concerns and have an investigation started?

Either the hunt was completely legal or it wasn't!

The only way the actual truth will be revealed is for the appropriate authorities to investigate and either clear all involved or charge them for illegal hunting.

Can anyone come up with another solution?????

If Saeed is convinced that this hunt was conducted illegally, he should remove the entire discussion since it is his site and posted the comment I quoted above.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
Quite an interesting thread.

South Africa is a bit complicated with the laws as each of the nine provinces has their own set of regulations.

However, as explained to me by the nature conservation officer at the time of writing my exam, a client has to only be under the SUPERVISION of a licensed professional hunter. A client has the ability to dictate how he wishes to hunt as long as no laws are broken. An example of this is two friends come hunting together, They can ask the PH to take a step back and let them dictate the terms of the hunt. The PH is only obligated to step in if the clients are breaking any laws.

It’s a common practise all over Africa. Not limited to just SA. I have seen plenty offers on this site by outfitters practising this (NON SA PHs).

You are absolutely right.

I had a message from a professional hunter/farm owner in the South Africa, which confirmed what I had posted already.

That is why I mentioned that Cal, has not done anything wrong.

It is certainly NOT the case as far as Shawn and the farm he represents are concerned.

Why does he not advertise the hunt using the name of the South African professional hunter?

Shawn and the farm owner are using a celebrity to pull in clients - knowing full well that celebrity IS NOT LEGALLY LICENSED TO CONDUCT HUNTS!!

Everything revolves around this, and Cal has no control over it.

His acceptance of the fact that he is going to be hunting with Mark Sullivan causes no problems. As I would assume he is relying on Mark Sullivan's employer to make sure he has the right license to be employed in that country in that job.

Both Cal and Shawn have removed any doubt that Mark is operating in South Africa without him being legally authorized to do so as a professional hunter.

Shawn stated that Mark has to be accompanied by a LICENSED SOUTH AFRICAN PROFESSIONAL HUNTER.

Cal has confirmed this fact.

Shaw is using Mark Sullivan's "celebrity" status to pull in clients, under false and illegal pretenses.

The same thing goes for the farm owner who allows this to go on - and according to Shawn, with several clients.

What is Mark Sullivan's legal status in South Africa, if he is not licensed to be a professional hunter?

Is he authorized to be a "tour operator" as Cal seems to suggest?

According to the law, are "tour operators" in South Africa allowed to conduct dangerous game hunts?

And from what has been posted, for a foreigner to bring his rifle into the country he has to be a CLIENT!

Is Mark Sullivan also masquerading as a client to have his rifle and ammo and allow HIS CLIENTS the pleasure of shooting it! clap

No matter how you look at this, from a legal, ethical, professional or business angle.

It stinks to high heaven.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now, the main concept that needs to see the light of day in my opinion is what role Mark Sullivan actually plays in the operation?

I am not a fan of Sullivan's, but if a client is willing to foot the travel/food and drink bill for Sullivan to simply be in camp on a hunt, what is the problem?

If he is not being paid, not carrying a gun or doing any shooting, what harm is there and if the operator merely states that Sullivan is available to go along on a hunt as a guest, what is the harm?

What are the laws concerning observers on a hunt?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right now, the main concept that needs to see the light of day in my opinion is what role Mark Sullivan actually plays in the operation?

I am not a fan of Sullivan's, but if a client is willing to foot the travel/food and drink bill for Sullivan to simply be in camp on a hunt, what is the problem?

If he is not being paid, not carrying a gun or doing any shooting, what harm is there and if the operator merely states that Sullivan is available to go along on a hunt as a guest, what is the harm?

Marks Sullivan is being advertised, and promoted, as THE PROFESSIONAL HUNTER CONDUCTING the hunt.

Read Shawn's offers.

Mark Sullivan IS conducting hunts, with several clients, including Cal - Cal has posted his hunt report right here, where one can clearly see Mark Sullivan IS the professional hunter conducting the hunt.

Non of this matters.

AS LONG AS HE IS LEGALLY LICENSED TO DO THIS JOB.

Both Shawn and Cal has made it very clear that he is most certainly is not.

A professional hunter/farm owner from South Africa says he is keeping an eye on this thread, as he is not very happy of what is going on.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's see. The title of this thread is "Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan". Doesn't say "Buffalo Hunt conducted by Mark Sullivan". Says "WITH".

So back in 2009, I did a RSA hunt for ranch buffalo "WITH" my son. We had a great time. We were "WITH" each other and enjoying each other's company while hunting buffalo. My son DID NOT conduct the hunt. We had a RSA PH for that. So if I posted a hunt report saying "Buffalo hunt with my son", would that be a lie? Sorry but I just don't see any lie involved here.

Saeed, this obsessive public hatred of Mark Sullivan is beneath you. Or maybe it isn't. Maybe I'm mistaken about that. You've taken personal insult to a man enjoying African hunting in a way that has allowed him to not only earn a living but excel at it with widespread name recognition. That his way is different from yours is irrelevant and long before Cal pointed it out on this thread, you've advocated over and over how we should all enjoy the pursuit in what ever manner pleases us.

Rummers and innuendo surround him but all seem to be started and perpetuated by those who have been eclipsed by Mark's success in the industry. He's not a citizen of any African nation, yet his business model and name recognition far exceeds the native operators. It's easy to see why some would be jealous. But to counter one of your statements, I've spoken to quite a few PH's who have very positive things to say about Mark.

From a personal standpoint, I've spoken to him several times. A couple of times at the SCI convention. He's called me a couple of times at home and he's always been a very personable and likable fellow. I get that some wouldn't care for his manner of joking around. Lots of bravado. But then, being an old fighter jock, that's the very type of joking around we used to do in our squadrons and between competing squadrons. All a big front and all for fun.

When Stu was injured, Mark stepped up to help. You did as well as you contacted me about buying the turkey hunts Larry set up to help Stu. Class act on your part, Larry's part (multiple benefit hunts for Stu set up by Larry), and Mark's part, both by donating the books for anyone who made a contribution for Stu when purchasing Andrew's painting, as well as lending his name and time to encourage larger donations for Stu by participating in the bird hunt Larry set up. BTW, class act on Andrew's part as well! Rick (Pagosawingnut at the time, HogBreath now on AR) also who purchased multiple tickets to draw the bird hunt with Larry and Mark, all to help Stu.

When my friend Mark Proudfoot died recently, MaximusBrutus here on AR, Mark contacted me again offering his condolences. The man doesn't know me from Adam other than my writings here on AR, but he took the time to acknowledge a fellow hunter's grief for the loss of one of our own. I say the man is a class act in real life and I'm fully capable of separating his onscreen entertainment persona when the camera is rolling from what he is in person. Please Saeed, do yourself a favor and get over it man.

"...Saeed Stu personally asked me to thank you from the bottom of his heart for the substantial amount of money you have personally sent him. I see that you have not told anyone about it..."

I got the above message from a friend this morning.

I won't quote other parts, they refer to another individual being discussed here, in not very pleasant terms!

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

I asked that question way back in this thread, no body has answered. Mark is carrying a gun or at least has hold of a double in some of Cals photos, you can't tell me he just gets it out of the bakkie to pose for photos. Would he shoot if things went south with Cal or other hunters, I think we all know the answer to that. Can he legally shoot if only a guide and not a licensed SA PH. Unless someone will answer it is a question that will go unanswered.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, a foreign national can only bring in a rifle as a hunting, paying client.

I also understand that foreigners are not allowed to hold a professional hunter's license - Cal stated as such.

Cal also suggested that Mark Sullivan is licensed as a "tour guide"!??

What that means in the hunting sense, I have no clue.

Mark Sullivan is being marketed, and promoted, as THE PROFESSIONAL HUNTER GUIDING FOREIGN CLIENTS.

He is seen in the photos posted by Cal as wearing an ammo belt, with ammo in it.

That part is easy to explain, as he is guiding Cal, and if things went south, he will shoot - may be no choice in this instance, as he would not have the time to give the buffalo a choice of how he dies! rotflmo

Where Johann is at this time, I have no idea.

May be in the camp, putting his name down on the legal papers, for the client who is being ILLEGALLY GUIDED BY MARK SULLIVAN.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what I understand, a foreign national can only bring in a rifle as a hunting, paying client.

I also understand that foreigners are not allowed to hold a professional hunter's license - Cal stated as such.

Mark Sullivan is being marketed, and promoted, as THE PROFESSIONAL HUNTER GUIDING FOREIGN CLIENTS.

He is seen in the photos posted by Cal as wearing an ammo belt, with ammo in it.

That part is easy to explain, as he is guiding Cal, and if things went south, he will shoot - may be no choice in this instance, as he would not have the time to give the buffalo a choice of how he dies! rotflmo

May be in the camp, putting his name down on the legal papers, for the client who is being ILLEGALLY GUIDED BY MARK SULLIVAN.

Saeed,is it legal when you shoot so many buffalo on a single hunt? How in the world can that be legal?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Saeed,

You do not need to be a hunting client to bring a rifle into South Africa. You can bring in firearms for reasons such as repairs, exhibition purposes, hunting, sport shooting etc.

Best Wishes

Posts: 386 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Saeed,

You do not need to be a hunting client to bring a rifle into South Africa. You can bring in firearms for reasons such as repairs, exhibition purposes, hunting, sport shooting etc.

Best Wishes

Thank you for clarifying this.

My point is what purpose did Mark Sullivan import his rifle for?

It cannot be hunting, as he is not licensed to guide clients.

And if he is a client, he is most certainly not permitted legally to guide paying clients.

Am I correct in that to actually, legally, guide hunting, paying foreign clients, one needs to have a professional hunter's license issued in South Africa?

And as per Shawn and Cal's posts, he does not hold such a license.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Saeed,

Best Wishes

And if he is a client, he is most certainly not permitted legally to guide paying clients.

Am I correct in that to actually, legally, guide hunting, paying foreign clients, one needs to have a professional hunter's license issued in South Africa?

Saeed,

Firstly let me state that in no way I am justifying Mark Sullivan or the hunter. I am merely trying to clear the incorrect statements such as that of Mr Gould’s claim that only a hunter can bring in a rifle.

With regards to the above, the law states that there has to be a registered Professional Hunter present at all times during the hunt and he must supervise. The term ‘guiding’ does not appear in the law. Technically speaking you and Mark Sullivan can come to the area and you may ‘guide’ Mark on the hunt as long as there is a licensed professional hunter that is present at all times to ensure no laws are broken. Also, the professional hunter has to be licensed in the province that the hunt will take place in.

If you were not in the presence of a licensed professional hunter, then the hunt would become illegal.

As I said before each of the 9 provinces has their own unique laws and what’s legal in one province can be illegal in a different province.

Best wishes

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Saeed,

Best Wishes

Saeed,

Firstly let me state that in no way I am justifying Mark Sullivan or the hunter. I am merely trying to clear the incorrect statements such as that of Mr Gould’s claim that only a hunter can bring in a rifle.

With regards to the above, the law states that there has to be a registered Professional Hunter present at all times during the hunt and he must supervise. The term ‘guiding’ does not appear in the law. Technically speaking you and Mark Sullivan can come to the area and you may ‘guide’ Mark on the hunt as long as there is a licensed professional hunter that is present at all times to ensure no laws are broken. Also, the professional hunter has to be licensed in the province that the hunt will take place in.

If you were not in the presence of a licensed professional hunter, then the hunt would become illegal.

As I said before each of the 9 provinces has their own unique laws and what’s legal in one province can be illegal in a different province.

Best wishes

Great!

That is how I understand it too.

The problem I have been trying to find a solution to is why is Shawn blatantly advertising hunts in South Africa, while he and Mark Sullivan know Sullivan is NOT LEGALLY AUTHORIZED to conduct hunts.

He could have advertised a hunt for buffalo in South Africa, without bringing Mark Sullivan into his advert.

The same goes for Cal.

He specifically said he is booked to hunt with Mark Sullivan, as the professional hunter employed to conduct the hunt!

His hunt report reflects this very clearly.

So, from what we know now about the laws in South Africa, it would appear several are being broken, or being bent to breaking point.

This is certainly not a very good reflection on hunting.

Actions are being taken by individuals who have absolutely no regards to ethics, professionalism or laws, to make money.

I keep being asked about the Lacy Act, and how it might apply in this case.

I have no idea.

Someone suggested as both Mark and Shawn are American citizens, at least some questions might be asked about their behavior regarding the promotion and conduct of this hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I keep being asked about the Lacy Act, and how it might apply in this case.

That is why such questions should be directed at the entities that set and enforce the laws concerning how such hunts are conducted.

Many Thanks to MD375 for the information provided.

What still needs to be claified, in my opinion at least, is what Mark Sullivan's actual role is in this whole situation.

Is the envelope of legalities being stretched with him being on such a hunt in some way?

Where are/were the lines of legalities, creative advertising and simply goofing off being crossed or sterpped on rather hard as far as this hunt is concerned.

I don't really see anything being clarified about the situation until it is made known to the appropriate authorities and an actual ionvestigation takes place.

Does the regulations clearly stipulate what a guest on such a hunt can or cannot do when being included in a photo being taken?

Again not defending Sullivan, but is it illegal for him to merely pose for a photo holding a rifle and wearing a shell belt? It could be construed as creative or misleading advertising since Sullivan's face is easily recognised, even by those of us that have never hunted Africa.

For those individuals that have a really big dose of Hero Worship for Sullivan, the concept of just sitting in camp with him listening to him talk and watching him drink and interact with the rest of the group in camp and pass along his knowledge while riding in a vehicle looking for game would be something they would be willing to do and possibly pay for.

Is it illegal for a camp guest to accept a "Love Offering" for lack of a better term if it is offerfed to compensate them for their time spent entertaining the clients?