ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan and PH Johann Biewenga TRUTHFUL PARODY ADDED!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan and PH Johann Biewenga TRUTHFUL PARODY ADDED!!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yes.

I can see he is laughing all the way to the bank by trying to be in illegal hunts rotflmo

Was the letter he wrote also part of his persona?

When he denigrates all other professional hunters, and says his clients cannot shoot a barn door from the inside, is another persona too??

It will be interesting to know why he dropped into the gutter of farm shooting.

Not only that, but, he is being advertised as the professional hunter conducting the hunt, while in reality - and LEGALITY?? - it is far from the truth!

Why does he not get himself a South African professional hunters license then??

Why has he got to hunting farm bred lions now??

From what I hear not many people in Tanzania will deal with him any more!

It is all down to his “persona”, is it?

The sick persona he has been cultivating for so long - and making him run all the way to the bank rotflmo

Things have caught up with him - and as mentioned above, others don’t really care if he dropped dead tomorrow!

A very sad position one finds himself in!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66766 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is all down to his “persona”, is it?

Try replacing "persona" with EGO!!!!

Throw in a little noteriety from embellished articles written by folks that developed a case of Hero Worship that was probably all out of proportion to the actual events, add a healthy or unhealthy dose of self importance on the part of the "Star", and you get the Capstick's and Sullivan's.

All they are doing is capitalizing on "Fame" bestowed upon them by people that may never have dealt with anyone else in that Profession and being part showman with an ego and we see the results.

With all that said Saeed, you might want to think about some counseling concerning your Sullivan phobia as I do not think Don or Walter want to have to take over the running of this "Funny Farm" because you blew a blood vessle thinking about Sullivan. shocker animal

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
As Saeed stated; It is a case of "Do As I Say, Not As I Do"!

A quote from the little one about his own shooting of South African farm animals from the back of a vehicle. He didn't even get out of the vehicle to shoot! (source: Cal's post on page two of this thread of Saeed's hypocrisy and lies).

Read 'em and weep.
Cal

PS. Saeed, maybe we should call a truce on the Sullivan issue. Your health, both mental an physical, is on the line.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
As Saeed stated; It is a case of "Do As I Say, Not As I Do"!

A quote from the little one about his own shooting of South African farm animals from the back of a vehicle. He won't even get out of the vehicle to shoot! (source: Cal's post on page two of this thread of Saeed's hypocrisy and lies).

Read 'em and weep.
cal

I have absolutely no shame about shooting farm animals in South Africa from the back of the truck.

I have never denied that, and have always said "do in Rome as the Romans do"

After all, I was not really "hunting" there.

I was just eliminating unwanted farm animals. rotflmo

I do that all the time here in my own backyard.

Now, can you tell me if it is ILLEGAL to shoot animals from the back of the truck on a farm in South Africa?

Isn't it ILLEGAL for your hero to guide paying clients in South Africa?

And both you and Shawn are bending backwards to sugar this up.

One of the messages I got said "are these two for real?"

Yes.

You and Shawn ARE real, genuine, lying, shameless pair.

Advertising and promoting ILLEGAL hunts in South Africa with a fake loser!

Apparently he is running all the way to the bank now jumping

So don't claim you have not paid him rotflmo

Posts: 66766 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Hi Saeed:
I did not pay Mark a cent. That's the truth.
I, too, get emails and PMs about this thread.
Here are two:

"Cal. I'm mostly a lurker on AR, but I have to compliment your eloquence and humor in the MS hunt post. I haven't enjoyed reading a post more, EVER. Thanks for a great hunt report and one of the greatest parodies of all time."

"Hi Cal ,
It’s been a while that I have been in contact.

I’ve just been reading your Accurate Reloading post and thought it’s a must to drop you a congratulations first on your hunt with Mark.

Secondly keep on taking the piss out of the midget!!! He has nothing to say but repeat his, for lack of a better word ‘shit’ over and over. Love the pic of Mark's shoes next to his and the pick of SSSS safaris is just hilarious!!! Well done mate, about time someone got a message accross to the idiot that shooting over 100 buffalo from miles away doesn’t count for shit. I only wish he could stand in front of one of those wounded buffs Mark stands in front of, to see him shit himself!!"

Again, Saeed my friend, how about some names of those that claim they kicked his ass in Dar? Or is is more of, "I heard..."

The offer of a truce is still open. But, at 5200 views and growing, Mark still brings them out!

I'm off to hunt caribou in two days and will be gone for about a week.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Saeed:
I did not pay Mark a cent. That's the truth.
I, too, get emails and PMs about this thread.
Here are two:

"Cal. I'm mostly a lurker on AR, but I have to compliment your eloquence and humor in the MS hunt post. I haven't enjoyed reading a post more, EVER. Thanks for a great hunt report and one of the greatest parodies of all time."

"Hi Cal ,
It’s been a while that I have been in contact.

I’ve just been reading your Accurate Reloading post and thought it’s a must to drop you a congratulations first on your hunt with Mark.

Secondly keep on taking the piss out of the midget!!! He has nothing to say but repeat his, for lack of a better word ‘shit’ over and over. Love the pic of Mark's shoes next to his and the pick of SSSS safaris is just hilarious!!! Well done mate, about time someone got a message accross to the idiot that shooting over 100 buffalo from miles away doesn’t count for shit. I only wish he could stand in front of one of those wounded buffs Mark stands in front of, to see him shit himself!!"

Again, Saeed my friend, how about some names of those that claim they kicked his ass in Dar? Or is is more of, "I heard..."

The offer of a truce is still open. But, at 5200 views and growing, Mark still brings them out!

I'm off to hunt caribou in two days and will be gone for about a week.
Cal

Yes.

Mark IS bringing them out.

They are lining up to employ him as unpaid tea boy in a farm in South Africa.

His other job is to remove the ear tags from the pets, but, he still remains the only one who gives the buffalo a choice - even the tagged one.

"I AM PROFESSIONAL HUNTER MARK SULLIVAN. A GIANT OF MAN, WITH BRASS BALLS. I AM NO LONGER FACING CHARGING BUFFALO. I NOW GIVE THEM A CHOICE OF HOW THEY LIKE THEIR EAR TAGS REMOVED. HAHAHAHAHA! I AM THE ONLY UNEMPLOYED, TOUR OPERATOR THAT CAN DO THIS. HAHAHAHA. AIM USING A CUSTOM MADE PAIR OF PLIERS. 24 INCHES LONG, AS THEY DO NOT MAKE ANY BIGGER. HAHAHAHAHA" rotflmo

All the above, of course, is accompanied by heavy breathing, reminiscent of Hollywood B movies rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And some folks actually believe hunting has a future!

Now things have decayed from voicing opinions about Mark Sullivan to attacking people on how they hunt.

The ONLY standard that matters or should matter to any of us that truly love to hunt and for hunting to have a future, is that however it is done, it is done so in a Legally Accepted/Sanctioned Manner!

None of us are forced to hunt in a manner we are not comfortable with and none of us should attempt to shame or ostracize another hunter of their choices as long as they are LEGAL.

As we all that participate on this site are aware of folks that are working to end hunting can/do and will use such comments that have been made by hunters toward each other against all of us.

It is a shame to see the rest of AR get as screwed up as the Crater is.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
And some folks actually believe hunting has a future!

Now things have decayed from voicing opinions about Mark Sullivan to attacking people on how they hunt.

The ONLY standard that matters or should matter to any of us that truly love to hunt and for hunting to have a future, is that however it is done, it is done so in a Legally Accepted/Sanctioned Manner!

None of us are forced to hunt in a manner we are not comfortable with and none of us should attempt to shame or ostracize another hunter of their choices as long as they are LEGAL.

As we all that participate on this site are aware of folks that are working to end hunting can/do and will use such comments that have been made by hunters toward each other against all of us.

It is a shame to see the rest of AR get as screwed up as the Crater is.

Exactly!

Shawn brazenly advertised an ILLEGAL hunt.

Cal went on an ILLEGAL hunt.

Read his report.

See who is guiding him!

I wonder if participating in an ILLEGAL hunt overseas has anything to do with the Lacey Act!!??

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am copying this here so it does not get deleted!

quote:
Gentlemen:
Here is my buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan. However, you will get a slightly shorter version as a new magazine, Africa’s Sportsman, wants me to be a regular contributor in all things double. (Rifles, guys, not breasts).

I spent five days at Basie Kuhn’s Haakdoorn Safaris ranch/farm. It was a living stage play with the actors being:

Mark Sullivan—PH and SA tour guide.
Cal Pappas—hunter from Alaska.
Basie Kuhn—owner of Haakdoorn Safaris.
Angela—Basie’s lovely wife.
Basie and Angela’s three daughters—Chene’ (17), Shayla (14), Sheena (10).
Johann Biewenga—farm manager and SA PH registered for both plains and dangerous game.
Joey—Johann’s lovely wife
Stefan Fouche’—1/3 owner of the African’s Sportsman magazine, there to get the story.
Andrew Tolmay—camera man and 1/3 owner of the AS magazine, there to video the hunt.
Clarence Voyles from North Carolina also to hunt buffalo and plains game.
Steven—tracker.
All played a role that, when combined, made the final production an Oscar winner.

I checked in to Alaska Airlines in Anchorage, They took the checked bag with the ammo box in it and I then took the rifle case to TSA inspection. Three hours later I was in Seattle and I had to collect my bags and recheck with Emirates as they reweighed all of my bags, including my carryon and personal bag, had to examine the rifle and check my Emirates permit, and count and weigh my ammunition. TSA in Anchorage cut the clocks off the ammo box and Emirates would not accept the ammo without locks. A quick thinking counter person offered plastic ties and that was acceptable. My carryon was too heavy so I took out two books and placed one in the checked bag and the other in my rifle case. If still too heavy the excess charge was $200 for an extra checked bag.

I arrived at 5:30 am SA time at OR Tambo airport and Basie was there to pick me up. Emirates is a great airline as to comfort and food! A police officer was a rude pain in the ass for my gun permit so it took 20 minutes as he took a 10 minute break as no on other hunters were there.

Basie and I drove to Pretoria for some of KFC and Stefen picked me up there or the trip to the farm as Basie had some business to take care of. Basie, then, flew his helicopter to the ranch and was there when we arrived. Stefen publishes the Africa’s Sportsman magazine and Andrew is his cameraman. Both are part owners in the magazine.

Clarence V. was to meet me in Dubai but he did not get the permit from Emirates. They would not let him fly but refunded all of his money except for $400. He then booked a last minute flight on Delta and arrived at 10pm that day. Johann drove him to get him and they arrived in camp at 1am. Clarence is from North Carolina and has attended the Alaska double shoot the past two years and stayed at my home.

The first day Basie gave me a tour of his holdings. 15,000 acres (approximately) with lots of plains game a buffalo. The center of the property is a huge flat plain covered with brown grass about two feet in height. Lots of animals were seen and, since an impala was needed for the camp pot, I shot an average male. He was standing facing to my left at 48 meters as measured from a range finder. One shot with my .600 Wilkes put a large hole through him and he ran a bit until he was out of blood. The photo is of the exit hole. A great and memorable night at the fire listing to Mark’s stories and jokes that caused me to wet myself I was laughing so hard.

Off for buffalo the second morning. 15,000 plus acres of bush of varying thickness and a huge piece of plains grass land about 2x8 miles. We spotted plains game and several buffalo in the grass which was two feet high. When we closed in on the bull I wanted he was laying down and side ways to us and Mark could not tell his horns to see if he was the buffalo we sought. Then he was up and started to run, turning away from us he looked back. Mark said he was the one and I took a quick snap shot and shot but shot over him—a complete miss. Two more shots were a waste as he was too far away and still running. Off for nearly three hours of followup. He was not wounded so we let him quiet down and we went back to camp for lunch. Also, the wind was blowing not only hard but changing directions and the buffalo winded us many times. We would circle and the wind would shift and he would run. All of this was took place in the huge grass plain. I haver never been able to take running or snap shots with my heavy double. Lack of practice, I guess.

After lunch we searched for a few hours and found the bull again 3/4 to a mile away. He laid down in the grass after we watched him for some time. We made the stalk. Mark and I marked his location on a distant tree on the horizon so we knew approximately where he was and we walked a straight line towards him. However, we didn’t know the distance he was at. The wind was blowing hard but towards us and not shifting so that was a big plus.

At 50 yards or so we were close and Steven saw a horn tip above the grass. Now we knew the distance and it was a matter of time until he faced us. Mark and I walked very slowly through the grass, as quite as possible, with Andrew and his camera behind us. 50 yards, then 40, then 30, then 20. A few more steps and the buff sensed something. He stood up to face us. Mark identified him as the buff we were after and said, “Take him.”

During the stalk I was thinking to keep the bead low in the shallow V of my double. It was a 1914 vintage John Wilkes double rifle in the great .600 nitro express caliber. Snap shooting causes me to take a large bead in the V and shoot high. Now the time was here. It was now or never. A miss or wound in the late afternoon would give very limited time for a stalk and followup. Nightfall could cause us to lose him and have to take up the spoor in the am. The buffalo could be anywhere by then. In retrospect I would have liked to shoot for the brain as that is the classic Sullivan trademark.

The 16-pound .600 came up to my shoulder quickly and I took a fine bead on the center of his chest and pressed the rear trigger. (I have always shot the left barrel/rear trigger first for 25 years. It is now a reflex. When the rifle is raised to my shoulder I slip the automatic safety to off as I place my finger on the rear trigger. When the rifle is at my shoulder, it is ready to fire). The buffalo’s rear legs collapsed and he fell instantly. My finger was now on the front trigger but I knew he was not going anywhere. I reloaded the empty barrel just in case the unimaginable happened but when the rear legs collapse as they did a spine hit is evident.

A moment later Mark and I moved around and approached the buffalo from the back side. He was breathing a bit laboredly so I put an insurance shot down from the top of his shoulder for a quicker end but it was really not needed. He was an amazing buffalo. Huge bodied—seemingly bigger than others I have shot. The horns and boss were amazing to see close up. From the distance when he was first spotted he was estimated to be 42 inches. A tape measure gave only an approximate figure of 43 1/4 inches. The boss was a good 14. We rolled him over in the small clearing he was in for pictures.

To reflect on the experience and to compare the buff I have shot in Zimbabwe: there is no doubt hunting in South Africa has a different flavor than my beloved Zim (after the hunt I would fly to Zim for my 14th trip there). SA does not have the feeling of wild Africa but on a large ranch fair chase hunting is still a challenge. I have hunted ranches in Zim (Dingwall and Marakanga) and had great experiences there as well as several others in SA, also.

Basie’s ranch is a huge piece of real estate. We walked for hours, and drove, too, and did not see a fence after we left the camp area. There is a border fence and also a fence around the living areas but the land is open and wild, both wooded and bush and the large grass area. Plains game abounds as are many shootable buffalo. Kudu there are easily in the mid-50 inch mark. As in SA, I have shot sable on a ranch in Zim and three consecutive years hunted a ranch in southern Zim for plains game and leopard. It was not “put and take” by any stretch of the imagination. While some may find fault with my hunting there I will defend it as fair chase and did walk my tail off, both on my hunt and when a friend wounded a buffalo and the chase took from 8am until the very last light at 6pm.

At the skinning shed the bullets were found and each lost three grains. The Woodleigh solids weighed in both at 897 grains. The bullet that hit the spine had a slight bell to it and the solid that was shot down through the top of his shoulders remained in original condition except with some rifling.

I also know having Mark Sullivan as my PH may begin a bit of a controversy, but I will stand by these words: Mark is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever known. He knows Africa, the black population, the animals, tracking, and all aspects of hunting dangerous game. In addition he has a great sense of humor, is honest-ethical-truthful, and can drink with the best of them. He is a true American patriot with a deep sense of God, family, and country with a strong conviction of borders, language, culture, and the conservative ideals that made America the envy of the world. He is VERY politically savvy. And, of course, his ability with a double rifle is legendary. I have known him for years and am proud to call him my friend. I hope to hunt with him again.

Basie’s Haakdoorn Safaris is absolutely the best and most comfortable hunting camp I have ever been in. His family is actively participating in the operation. His wife, Angela, and their three daughters are there riding horses, preparing the meals, and fun company, etc. The game is managed with limited take off so the animal populations remain stable. Basie forbids shooting from a vehicle.

The game available are buffalo, giraffe, kudu, roan, gemsbok, blesbok, eland, red hartebeest, impala, warthog, sable, zebra, waterbuck, blue wildebeest, and the bird shooting is fabulous. While many hunting operations will state, “Come as a client and leave as a friend” I can attest this to be true in my experience there. I will return for another buffalo next year. Haakdoorn Safaris has my highest recommendation. If any of you gents out there wish to join me next year, please contact me. If a few of you would like to go on a small group hunt and shoot your buffalo with my .600 we can “make a plan.”

I spent three more days on the ranch attending another hunt as an observer and waking and going on game drives to photograph. Then, I flew to Harare to visit friends in Zim for two weeks with one week at a camp on the Zambezi River fishing and photographing game animals. My (almost) yearly vacations and hunts in Africa get better each year. Plans are made now for 2019-20-21. Life is good. Standing in the parking lot at WalMart with a sign asking for money for an African hunt has really paid off!

Thanks for reading this and let the games begin.
Cal

PS. As a side bar: my flight home.
In Harare all went fine with security and rifle check in going smoothly. The rifle was inspected by both Emirates and the Zimbabwe police. Ammo was counted by the police and weighed by Emirates. My bags and carryon were also weighed.
In Dubai I was screened upon departing the plane, then again at the gate, and again at the door where my carryon bags were opened and searched. Carryons were also weighted.
In Seattle, as there is no baggage agreement between the two airlines if a firearm is involved. So, I collected all baggage and gun case, customs inspected the rifle, then to the check in desk at Alaska Air and the rifle again inspected at TSA. I probably will fly Delta again to avoid all the security by having one airline between Alaska and South Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if participating in an ILLEGAL hunt overseas has anything to do with the Lacey Act!!??

And that Saeed is something no one on here has any control over.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And that Saeed is something no one on here has any control over.

I know one person who got royally screwed by the Lacey Act!

I am not too sure of the details, but I understand they got him years after the claimed “illegal” event.

It is something definitely one would want to avoid!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I aem sure most folks do not want to get tied up with anything they can be prosecuted for.

That does not change the fact that pissers like this discussion do not do anything but create unnecssary lines of division that the hunting community can not afford.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I aem sure most folks do not want to get tied up with anything they can be prosecuted for.

That does not change the fact that pissers like this discussion do not do anything but create unnecssary lines of division that the hunting community can not afford.

Did you expect anything else, as the man in discussion has cultivated controversy to benefit his ego.

He has repeatedly insulted all other professional hunters as being nothing but cowards.

The client who choose to hunt with him could not shoot worth a damn!

And to top it off right now he is involved in illegal hunts!!??

Do not take my word for it!

Cal put everything right here.

I am only pointing out the whole stupidity of these sad episodes.

Shawn and Cal have a lot to answer to!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Want to watch this forum dry up even further than it has?

Let it get out that the forum administrator is attempting to encourage an investigation into a false Lacy Act violation against a highly respected member just because he doesn't like one of the fellows sharing the camp fire in a hunt report.

I suggest that would be the very last hunt report ever filed on the site!

Just the suggestion of such an action is cause for caution for continued participation.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Let it get out that the forum administrator is attempting to encourage an investigation into a false Lacy Act violation against a highly respected member just because he doesn't like one of the fellows sharing the camp fire in a hunt report.

Just the suggestion of such an action is cause for caution for continued participation.

bsflag

The facts speak for themselves here,Mark's style of hunting is repugnant to a lot of people,I respect Cal,he hunted with Mark as the PH as written by him,his choice & he had a good hunt,his money & he can spend it as he wants,but Mark is not a licensed PH in SA is he? it would also seem rather odd that he is present on these hunts & not getting paid ???
Saeed is only pointing out these facts,why would he allow this kind of stuff to go on here? he provides a free forum to all including you,people hurl the most vile insults at him,surely he reserves the right to call things out as he sees it & in this case borne out by the facts!!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a long string to your bow Todd. Most hunt reports I read are about a hunter or hunters undertaking a hunt with a licensed professional or guide. Licensed of course implying licensed for that particular area or concession i.e. legal and above board so I don't think anyone here should feel threatened by posting hunt reports.

While Saeed has a deep resentment about Mark's persona and conduct in the field of hunting in general, in this case he is questioning whether the hunt was conducted legally. The fact that a highly respected member may be involved should not prevent the question being asked. If we as hunters are not prepared to ask the question then we really are playing into the hands of the anti-hunting fraternity.
Cal's report and photos, great as they are, seem to leave no doubt that Mark was conducting the hunt as a PH. There is no mention or photo of the legally licensed PH while on the hunt itself, all directions and instructions appear to be from Mark. There is nothing in the report suggesting Cal and Mark went on the hunt as friends i.e. both paying customers, rather it appears Mark is conducting hunts for that ranch.
If that is legal then Saeed has no case, simple, and is wasting his time asking the question.

If it is not legal or is bending the rules to suit parties then of course the question should be asked, what is Mark involving himself in and are paying hunters compromising their position.

Or should we just sweep it all under the carpet because Mark is a good guy and respected hunters are involved. Do you think the antis make that distinction. Of course all these assumptions and conjecture are made on what Cal has chosen to publish, but this is what we and anyone else viewing the forum see.

Perhaps you are right Todd, if there is a hint something may not be above board then perhaps best not to publish, that of course doesn't correct a wrong.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Let's be real here. Saeed's hatred for Sullivan is long established. His vitriol on this particular thread to that end demonstrate nothing short of a loss of personal composure, regardless of whether you are a fan or a foe of Sullivan.

Cal listed the name of the licensed PH. I'm sure the paperwork is all in order as such and the PH was present in the field and with the hunting party the entire time.

But the real point I'm making is that when the man who runs one of the, if not THE No. 1 hunting forums, and specifically African hunting forums, starts using his position of influence to possibly induce a trumped up (pardon the term) charge against Cal, a charge that could irreparably ruin the man's life for good, solely based on his hatred of a man in camp, with no proof that any violation actually occurred, well I say that has a chilling effect.

So Saeed has broached the subject of a Lacy Act Violation. My question is, is that all he's done or intends to do? I'm sure he knows people of influence that could cause this issue to go further than a simple post on Cal's thread. What are his intentions along those lines? From his responses on this thread so far, I'm not sure the level of vindictiveness to do so is beyond him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well said... tu2

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's be real here. Saeed's hatred for Sullivan is long established. His vitriol on this particular thread to that end demonstrate nothing short of a loss of personal composure, regardless of whether you are a fan or a foe of Sullivan.

Cal listed the name of the licensed PH. I'm sure the paperwork is all in order as such and the PH was present in the field and with the hunting party the entire time.

But the real point I'm making is that when the man who runs one of the, if not THE No. 1 hunting forums, and specifically African hunting forums, starts using his position of influence to possibly induce a trumped up (pardon the term) charge against Cal, a charge that could irreparably ruin the man's life for good, solely based on his hatred of a man in camp, with no proof that any violation actually occurred, well I say that has a chilling effect.

So Saeed has broached the subject of a Lacy Act Violation. My question is, is that all he's done or intends to do? I'm sure he knows people of influence that could cause this issue to go further than a simple post on Cal's thread. What are his intentions along those lines? From his responses on this thread so far, I'm not sure the level of vindictiveness to do so is beyond him.

I think it’s safe to say that he didn’t take well to being called a midget

One of Us
Picture of Johnny_Revolver
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I think it’s safe to say that he didn’t take well to being called a midget [/QUOTE]

It's Midgets who actually take offense to being called Midgets.

I doubt Saeed would have even blinked.

Posts: 131 | Location: South east Queensland Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think someone came here looking for a fight,they got one,it might be the right time to scream chicken,when you insult a man on his home turf? don't complain when your ass gets whipped!!!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let’s be honest. Both sides have said some things that should not have been said.

If you all want to know why we are losing the battle, look no further.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Good day, gentlemen:
The licensed SA PH was with me 100% of the time on the hunt and also in camp. I took dozens of photos but only put two on AR with Mark as he is my friend. Also, the entire hunt was videoed with the SA PH there the entire time.

As to the Lacey Act violation--since the hunt was 100% legal by the laws of South Africa, is my posssible violation because I own and play a Gibson guitar (335)?

When the feds come to investigate the alledged crime, I have plenty of photos of the buffalo hunt with the PH there. And, again, I did not pay Mark a cent and neither did the gentlemen who hunted after me. It was all great fun and I'm sorry the thread has gone south. But, I'm sure it's not over yet.
Cheers, all.
Cal
PS. Thanks, Todd, for the kind words.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I read the above posts again.
Tell me, if I post some pics of the hunt with the SA PH present would that help clear up the matter? I have several. I do not have any video yet as it is being edited in SA at present. I hope to get it within weeks or a month or more.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys
My 2 cents worth….

How is the hunt illegal?

As has been stated, the hunt was legal, there was a licensed PH during the hunt at all times who's name is on the permit.
On top of that, the same PH is the Ranch owner and outfitter!

Whoever else was in attendance on the hunt is irrelevant!!!!

This bickering over MS is just plain nonsense and
really denigrates this Forum.

Cal went on a hunt and posted his report.
I question why anyone would really post anymore hunt reports after this…..

I'm done with posting reports ……..

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it was fun while it lasted, but attitudes and egos are more import than anything else.

This "Discussion????" clearly shows that the anti hunting forces are not as big a threat as hunters themselves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you expect anything else, as the man in discussion has cultivated controversy to benefit his ego.

He has repeatedly insulted all other professional hunters as being nothing but cowards.

The client who choose to hunt with him could not shoot worth a damn!

And to top it off right now he is involved in illegal hunts!!??

Do not take my word for it!

Cal put everything right here.

I am only pointing out the whole stupidity of these sad episodes.

Shawn and Cal have a lot to answer to!

How has ANY of what you posted above DIRECTLY affected you in any way?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:

bsflag

The facts speak for themselves here,Mark's style of hunting is repugnant to a lot of people,I respect Cal,he hunted with Mark as the PH as written by him,his choice & he had a good hunt,his money & he can spend it as he wants,but Mark is not a licensed PH in SA is he? it would also seem rather odd that he is present on these hunts & not getting paid ???
Saeed is only pointing out these facts,why would he allow this kind of stuff to go on here? he provides a free forum to all including you,people hurl the most vile insults at him,surely he reserves the right to call things out as he sees it & in this case borne out by the facts!!

Todd,

First of all, AR is not set up for popularity, so we can sell advertising.

We do not support any organizations - SCI for example - if they could not careless about hunting, and have their sole purpose in life as glorifying individuals who break every law so they can have their names in a record book.

AR is, as far as I can tell, is the only Internet website where it is actually free.

Free of adverts.

Free of any bias.

Everyone is treated the same, and everyone stands on his own feet.

Both Shawn and Cal have left no doubt at all that Mark Sullivan IS ILLEGALLY employed as a professional hunter in South Africa.

Shawn had posted a hunt offer here to that effect - and the only reason I called him out on it was a well known professional hunter from South Africa sent me a message that Sullivan WAS NOT LICENSED to conduct hunts in South Africa, so why does Shawn advertise a hunt that he is.

Cal then goes and hunt with him, leaving no doubt whatsoever that these lot - agent, professional hunter, client and farm owner - are involved in something that at least some of us - those actually CARE about hunting, and how it is to be conducted - find very objectionable.

At the very least, all who are involved in this terrible setup are nothing but dishonest.

What I find rather sad is the fact that Mark Sullivan has gone and sullied what might have been honest men.

His whole life revolves around falsehoods, fakery and lies.

The following is his own words.

" Yes, I have risked my life so many times I cannot count trying to give you the blood-on-the-shoes footage you so wonderfully enjoy. And I should have died a hundred times trying, but I prevailed and for reasons I will never understand".

Is this coming from any man who has any common sense left in his sole?

Shawn likes to advertise ILLEGAL hunts with a fake individual who has fallen in the gutter, that is fine as far as I am concerned.

But not on AR.

Cal likes to promote his hero he so worships - it is actually rather sad, that a grown man can be so blinded by his hero worship. Remember, Cal mentioned in the past that non of us here are good enough to walk in Sullivan's shoes! rotflmo

He is right, as I don't this anyone here would lower himself so low.

Cal can post his hero worshiped hero hunt report somewhere else too.

Not on AR.

AR has always been, and will always be, a free site where hunters and shooters can participate in, without being censored to satisfy advertisers.

Say whatever you like, post any hunt offer, your hunt report, and enjoy your interaction with others who share your interests.

But don't get your knickers in the twist when you lie and get called out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The hunt may or may not be legal .. but unless Sullivan is an RSA resident, in order for him to enter RSA with a firearm, he would need to be a CLIENT on a letter of invitation from a RSA PH and he would need to declare the purpose of said importation. In addition, he cannot WORK in RSA without a work permit. So for his sake, I trust he did NOT get paid directly or indirectly, and I also trust that rifle in the photos was a loaner and not a rifle imported by him ...

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But don't get your knickers in the twist when you lie and get called out.

This from a man who gets his Knickers in a twist if Mark Sullivan is even mentioned on here, and Lord help anyone that posts a picture of Sullivan!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see Mark Sullivan kind of like a celebrity and don't find anything wrong with paying an American celebrity to go to Africa and host or be present on a hunt and act like a PH-with or without their rifle.Businesses from all over the world do that.They will hire a celebrity from another country to fly over and appear in a shoe store for example where shoes are being sold.Like others have said a pH was hired and present.If a PH had not been there then we can conclude that the hunt was done without a PH even if Sullivan was there.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The threat of not posting a hunt report a knee jerk reaction to what is simply a gritty debate of which AR is noted for is fairly silly.

There is very little censorship here and few rules and is that not the attraction of AR?

I have quite enjoyed reading this thread and classic AR stuff and is it not why people attended boxing matches?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice photos and report Cal.

Hope you dont follow the path of Sam Rose and take your bat and ball and go home after all this!

DRSS

Posts: 1895 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed supports free speech and interaction unlike anyone else that I have seen on the Internet. tu2 He spends his own money, blood, sweat and tears on AR-not one of you pays a single penny to support this website. People have come and gone on here for years, but it has remained successful, with or without certain AR celebs that people thought were "indispensable" and I am fairly certain that it will continue to do so with or without any of you. Big Grin You may not agree with everything that Saeed believes or says, but I dare you to take your hunting, reloading, shooting addiction elsewhere and see how long you last tearing another host to pieces. Good luck. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with you there UEG.

DRSS

Posts: 1895 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
The hunt may or may not be legal .. but unless Sullivan is an RSA resident, in order for him to enter RSA with a firearm, he would need to be a CLIENT on a letter of invitation from a RSA PH and he would need to declare the purpose of said importation. In addition, he cannot WORK in RSA without a work permit. So for his sake, I trust he did NOT get paid directly or indirectly, and I also trust that rifle in the photos was a loaner and not a rifle imported by him ...

Bloody hell, another pesky fact turns up now.

Russ,

Don't try to bring facts into this, despite that is what we are looking for, certain individuals hate it. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Guys
My 2 cents worth….

How is the hunt illegal?

As has been stated, the hunt was legal, there was a licensed PH during the hunt at all times who's name is on the permit.

The licenced SA PH is the farm manager Johann, not the Ranch owner and outfitter, Basie. It is not stated if Basie, is licensed.

The whole narrative in Cal's report indicates that Mark decided what, where and when to shoot, carried what looks like his favorite double and presumably if things had gone south was going to provide the back up to the clients. Where did Johann the licensed PH fit in to all this? Was he in a position to back up or just accompanying the hunt to provide the presence of a licensed PH? Can anyone carry a firearm and stalk game without the necessary trophy tags i.e. can observers who have not paid trophy fees also carry guns when accompanying a friend on a hunt?
While the hunt may have been legal in terms of having a licensed PH accompanying the clients, and I accept Cal's word on this, I struggle to see how Mark fitted in to the picture. Was he paid by the outfitter to act as a PH or paid by the outfitter to be a 'client' accompanying others on a hunt. Does he do this out of the kindness of his heart?

Was this just a one off for Cal or is Mark conducting business, essentially doing the job as a PH, for the ranch/outfitter owner under the cover of another PH's license. Is this legal or just a little technicality that can be ignored?

Perhaps this does provide an insight into the ill feeling that Mark attracts from other PH's who go out of their way to become licensed and make a living from it.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Guys
My 2 cents worth….

How is the hunt illegal?

The licenced SA PH is the farm manager Johann, not the Ranch owner and outfitter, Basie. It is not stated if Basie, is licensed.

The whole narrative in Cal's report indicates that Mark decided what, where and when to shoot, carried what looks like his favorite double and presumably if things had gone south was going to provide the back up to the clients. Where did Johann the licensed PH fit in to all this? Was he in a position to back up or just accompanying the hunt to provide the presence of a licensed PH? Can anyone carry a firearm and stalk game without the necessary trophy tags i.e. can observers who have not paid trophy fees also carry guns when accompanying a friend on a hunt?
While the hunt may have been legal in terms of having a licensed PH accompanying the clients, and I accept Cal's word on this, I struggle to see how Mark fitted in to the picture. Was he paid by the outfitter to act as a PH or paid by the outfitter to be a 'client' accompanying others on a hunt. Does he do this out of the kindness of his heart?

Was this just a one off for Cal or is Mark conducting business, essentially doing the job as a PH, for the ranch/outfitter owner under the cover of another PH's license. Is this legal or just a little technicality that can be ignored?

Perhaps this does provide an insight into the ill feeling that Mark attracts from other PH's who go out of their way to become licensed and make a living from it.

Mark Sullivan IS conducting hunts in South Africa.

His agent posted an offer right here, and he admitted Sullivan WAS NOT LICENSED!

So where is the argument defending this?

And guiding clients without a license is ILLEGAL!

In your face lies, posted on an Internet forum, and they expect us to keep quiet about it?

The offer was specifically to hunt buffalo with PROFESSIONAL HUNTER MARK SULLIVAN??!!

I have received several messages from real, honest, licensed, hard working professional hunters from South Africa, who are most definitely not happy about what Mark Sullivan, and the farm he is operating on, are doing.

One said "...so now the farm owner is illegally employing an unlicensed foreign celebrity to bring in clients, lets him guide clients, and pretends he is not paying him??..."

Those who support this, keep digging, just realize that you are not helping hunting one little bit.

Read this and tell me Mark Sullivan is NOT guiding paying clients???

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Njati:
quote:

I think it’s safe to say that he didn’t take well to being called a midget

I'm not sure why you would quote me in your statement. I never called Saeed a midget.

In fact, I stated the opposite. I stated that it is a cause for concern when a man of his stature, as administrator of the premiere African hunting forum lets his hatred for one person (Sullivan) drive a level of vitriol that would insinuate that a well respected member (Cal) is guilty of a Lacy Act violation simply because they hunted out of the same camp at the same time and Cal purchased a hunt based on the fact that Sullivan would in fact be present.

Before the righteous indignation gets even further out of hand, let's consider a few things, shall we?

I've brought this up numerous times in these discussions where the claim is that Sullivan always shoots his clients' animals for them. Yep, in his videos, he often does shoot first in the follow up or at least at the same time as the client. And he's vilified for it. My good friend Dave Fulson, along with his partner, Tim, of Safari Classics, produce what I consider to be some of the best African hunting videos around. Some of their footage has some interesting comparisons however.

Check out the Boddington on Buffalo video. In it, you'll see highly respected PH Andrew Dawson do exactly the same thing. The video has several wounded buffalo follow up sequences. You'll be surprised by the number of times in that video where Dawson fires the first shot at the wounded buff during the follow ups. You'll also notice the number of times he fires a split second after the client does on the initial shot, as "insurance". In fact, it's been awhile since I watched it but I believe he does this on every hunt he guides on the video with the exception of the 2 buff taken by Boddington himself. Has anyone here accused Dawson of shooting the clients' animals for them?

A little more. Ivan Carter. Highly regarded on this forum. Yet on Boddington on Elephant, there is a very bizarre sequence where he is guiding a fellow who wears a tin foil lined ball cap. That in itself is strange but the bizarre part is right after the client drops the bull with a close up frontal brain shot, Ivan leads the client as they run and jump up on top of the downed elephant's head whereby Ivan instructs the client to shoot straight down, between his feet, into the elephant's head for the insurance shot. Then they congratulate each other while standing on the head. Is that abhorrent hunting behavior? Anyone called Ivan out for it? How many episodes are there where Ivan presses tuskless cows to the point of inducing a charge so as to get good video footage? I do know for a fact that that little tidbit has been discussed here before but I don't remember it being directed toward Ivan personally.

Many of the same guys who claim Sullivan's method of immediately walking up to a wounded buffalo to see if it will charge have absolutely no objection to the time tested and approved method of sitting down for a 30 minute smoke break to allow the wounded buff to "stiffen up" prior to going in after it. Sullivan has argued that his method actually dispatches the animal quicker. Truth? At least plausible so I give him a pass on this issue. I understand others may not. It's debatable.

Here's some hard truth boys. Most of us who have been inspired to take a rifle to Africa have been influenced by flawed men who embellished the story or somehow found a way to be noticed above and beyond their contemporaries. Hemingway - a drunk who committed suicide. Ruark - a drunk who died of liver failure. Surely no one here would ever contemplate that Ruark embellished his stories? Right? I mean, when is the last time you owed a Buffalo money? Do you really think a buffalo looks at you with contempt? To do so would insinuate that the animal is capable of rational thought! As in "Choosing how he is to die"! Capstick? A fraud? It's been debated here many times. But he sure captured the fancy of many with stories with intriguing names like "Death in the Long Grass".

Many of the ivory hunters we all admire were poachers, pure and simple. Either by today's standards and often by the standards of the day in which they operated. Foran, Nyschens, Taylor, even Bell. Yet we give all of them a pass, even Nyschens who practiced poaching relatively recently. None of them embraced the Conservation through Hunting mentality.

The fact is that like Sullivan, all of these men were responsible for generating interest in hunting the continent and also like Sullivan, they all had less than perfect methods by which they accomplished this influence.

These Sullivan threads are always a source of great entertainment for me. It's entertaining to watch the level of hysteria the anti Sullivan crowd generates as they spool up in their righteous indignation and claims of moral superiority by standing against Sullivan's so called "repugnant" hunting methods. Entertaining that is, right up to the point that the vitriol causes a highly influential man to make false insinuations of legal violations that can ruin a good man's life. I will also say Cal went over the line with some of the insults, even "said with a smile" as a parody. I would hope both parties, and respective camps for that matter, would take a couple of steps back and cooler heads would prevail.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Simple question.

Do you not see that Shawn has promoted hunts with Mark Sullivan, with several clients, when Mark is not licensed to conduct these hunts??

When you read Cal’s hunt report, do you not get the impression that Mark Sullivan is the man conducting the hunt?

I understand some professional hunters in South Africa are most definitely not happy about this!