ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan and PH Johann Biewenga TRUTHFUL PARODY ADDED!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 21

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan and PH Johann Biewenga TRUTHFUL PARODY ADDED!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,with all the things people have said about hunting with Mark over the years, there must be more to your story than what you have written. Please give us the entire story.

I want to hear the whole story if there is more to it.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
OK, Larry, I will begin another, more complete, version. Give me a couple of days.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Congratulations,Cal! It is good to see a hunting report from you.How about showing us more pictures? I am sure there were plenty of nice and interesting things you came across.Good to hear you enjoyed your hunt.

Thanks, George.
Here are a few more pics for you all.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not what I heard!

He got his ass kicked from a hotel bar in Dar because there were REAL, HONEST, PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS there, and he was stupid enough to make some silly remark about teaching them buffalo hunting!

I understand he made a rather quick exit when all of them stood up to him!

Isn’t this whole reason why has given up hunting Tanzania, because he has lost the respect of every decent professional hunting there?

Doubt my word?

Read his very own post here.

Does anyone with one iota of self respect, and any respect to his clients, write this?

Glad you managed to shoot your own animals, as according to your hero, clients who choose to hunt with him could not hit a barn door, from the inside! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
"Can't we all just get along" - Rodney King

sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7592 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal
Congratulations on your Buffalo and hunt. Glad you had a good time, and
your 600 did the job!!!!!

Well done.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt Cal.

I couldn’t carry that 600 like you do. And you have a few years on me!

Look forward to more details.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Saeed, my friend:
Your post above begins, "Not what I heard!" This is consistant with your posts. I don't beleive you ever posted an event as a fact; it is what you heard.

Now it is time to call you out on your two-faced shit:

Didn't you write, "Shame on who? The person who reports what he has heard, or the person who has actually been involved in all this?" Yes you did, on 11 April, 2018 at 08:49. Your hate is only exceeded by your hypocracy.

I understand your anger of Mark stating how the buffalo makes the choice how it is to die. His hunting style is different than yours. Neither is right or wring, just how both of you gents decide how to hunt. But, you are wrong to be critical of his style. On May 28, 2018, 09:54, you wrote of dangerous game, "I make sure they are far enought for me (to) run away in case something goes wrong." There it is. How can it be dangerous game hunting if you run away from the danger? No wonder you are so jealous of Mark's style.

July 5, 2015, you wrote, "It is the individual's money, and he can bloody well do with it as he pleases." I guess not in my case or any of Mark's other clients.

March 12, 2013 you wrote, "I have shot animals from the back of the truck, and I make absolutley no excuse for that." No wonder you hate a man who walks up to his animal to make the kill. You have lost the honor of the stalk when you shoot from a vehicle and, again, there is no danger in dangerous game hunting. Your hundreds of buffalo were taken in 100% safety.

Let's look at your post of June 29, 2015. "Hunt in any form or shape, as long as it (is) legal in that country. And tell anyone who complains to go to hell." OK, per your requrest, Saeed, "go to hell." It must be very difficult talking our of both of your faces.

Your post of April 4, 2017 proves your effeminate method of hunting. "First time I hunted in South Africa, they started laughing at me for jumping out of the truck to shoot. Once I found that it was normal to shoot from the truck, I never bothered jumping out any more." There we have it, Saeed, not only do you shoot from the truck you do it in South Africa where you shoot farm animals (your words, mate).

How about August 19, 2016. "It seems a number of AR members are devoting so much of their time critizing others they do not agree with...I have no time for those with worthless lives that they spend all their time complaining about what others do!" That just about sums it up, Saeed, you write an excellent point and then you go back on your word but attacking Mark thousands of times. Your behavior is disgusting.

I'll close with my favorite; your post of July 24, 2016. "I have no time for those with worthless lives that they spend all their time complaining about what others do? They should get a life, they might actually enjoy it." Follow your own words, mate, and drop the Sullivan issue. Believe me, Saeed, the readers of AR are tired of the same old, same old shit.

(Damn! I can't find Saeed's post where he states he has had his PH shoot his animals for him when he was unable to do so himself. It was years ago and I have it saved somewhere. I will try to find it to complete the painting of our gracious and benevolent host).

There you have it, fellow AR members. Saeed's worthless rants (and there are many more). Let's give it a rest, Saeed, and direct your efforts, time, and engergy to the anti hunters of the world and not to a fellow hunter whereby your hyprocacy and mis-guided hatred is is magnified.

You say I worship my hero? I won't argue with your words. But if I am to have a hero, I'd rather it be an honest, straight talking American hunter, who has made his own life with no apologies, than a ... (fill in the blank).

In a day or two, I will post the lengthy details of my hunt.

Remember, Saeed, you gave me your word of not banning me or deleting my post(s). AR members, if I disappear from AR email me at <pappas@mtaonline.net> and I will send you a PDF file of my post here and the one to come.

Saeed, I hope I have made myself clear on the issue. Any rebuttal?
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Administrator
posted Hide Post
It is your money, and you can pay any nutcase to tag along, as well as having a pro-er, legal professional hunter too.

The fact of the matter is. Your title to this hunt report is misleading.

YOU DID NOT HUNT WITH MARK SULLIVAN!

He was only accompanying you!

I never knew tour guides could conduct a hunt!!?? rotflmo

Every single professional hunter I have spoken too cannot stand this idiot!

He might be the nicest person to you, but his behavior in Tanazania was not acceptable to them.

He has brought the profession into disrepute!

Read his own post, he says it himself.

He thinks he is God’s gift to hunting, and his clients cannot shoot worth a damn.

He has brought this onto himself.

Both SCI and DSC have kicked him out.

Would Yiu care to explain this little fact to us?? clap

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Tell you this, Saeed. On AR's public forum I will tell you what I know about Tanzania and also SCI and DSC if you address your hypocrisy in the comments I listed above.
When its all over and I fly to Zimbabwe next year, I will buy you dinner in Dubai.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Hi Cal…stumbled across this post today on AR. I knew you were back and had expected to see your report on AR soon. Really glad to hear that you enjoyed your RSA dangerous game hunt at Basie’s place with Mark on your hunt! I hope the RSA hunt with Mark fully met and exceeded your expectations! I am certain it was fabulous!

As a side bar, I have hunted enough with Mark in Tanzania to know that he is an excellent PH and a great host as well. In my opinion, he is the best in Tanzania or I would choose to hunt there with someone else. I am really glad he has decided to offer a RSA experience with him on the hunt.

Now I also know that there is certainly more to share about your hunt in RSA. After all, that is what this hunt in RSA is all about…having Mark along on your hunt and also sharing camp with him. So please indulge me Cal by letting me prod you just a bit…there must be more to this hunt. Please share and if you do so on a parallel thread be sure to leave a link on this thread as well.

Best always,
Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If anyone needs reminding, here it is.

Straight from his own mouth!

Does this sound like it is co I g from any sane person??

To members of AR, friends, and clients:

It gives me great pleasure to have this opportunity to write you. To the surprise of many, I have not purposely avoided this day. I am not as well versed in the computer arena as many of you, nor do I wish to be. I live a simple life. I have never tried or wanted to be a disruptive influence. I go about my business one day at a time. I infringe upon no one. I expect the same from others. I suppose this is why I am misunderstood. People believe I am aloof; and perhaps even arrogant. I am none of the above. My intentions are honorable, I assure you. For my critics on this forum I now answer your allegations against me.

I began my professional hunting career in Tanzania in 1990 at the age of 40. Then as now; I go about my business one day at a time. I offend no one. I am professional to everyone. I have no ax to grind and; no dog in the fight. As I did 20 years ago, I still, in my view, hunt for all of the right reasons and none of the bad as I have so often been accused. I do not hunt for the camera or to show off. I do not brag or boast. I instruct. I answer questions. I also write books. I make documentary hunting films that are responsible for thousands of hunters going on safari each year.

My movies evoke great emotion. Either you like them or you do not. Regardless of your emotions so invoked, they are true. The charges are real. If you watch them with an unbiased eye, you will notice no edits ever occur moments before or during a charge. In all cases, my clients shoot first. My shot always follows theirs. The footage is unaltered. It is authentic as it happens footage. Whether you like what you see or not is a different matter. The life and death events depicted on the screen cannot be denied. In the wild, everyday is kill or be killed, eat or be eaten. My films simply show this raw side of nature.

I suppose the reason why a great many people hate me and my movies, for lack of a better description, is I do what I do because it is who I am. Just as it may be your nature not to take chances, which makes you who and what you are. I love the confrontation. I seek it. I enjoy a fight to the death. I relish the idea that if I perform poorly I die a horrible death. I’m attracted to the cycle of life and death. I often try and get as close to death as I can, crossing the line if I choose, just to get a good whiff. Last season I enjoyed four outstanding life and death charges with as many clients. No cameraman was present. Each client came away with a life defining experience. Each one would do it again if given the opportunity.

I know my manner and method of hunting is controversial. Yet, in my opinion, it represents the finest hunting there is. I honor the life I am about to take by offering my life in return. I can offer no more and therefore give hunting my all. If I fail to kill, I die. It is as simple as that. If we are to believe in the sport we call “dangerous game hunting,” then why do so many do everything in their power to remove as much danger as possible? Why call it dangerous game? Why not call it “least dangerous” if the object is to remove all danger? Why criticize me for accepting the danger in our sport? I do not like killing. I do like hunting—there is a difference. Anyone can kill a wounded Cape buffalo standing his ground 40 yards away. In my opinion, to do so is killing. On the other hand, to walk up and let that magnificent animal decide how he is to die in battle is great hunting. If you lack courage that is something I cannot help you with. But to condemn me because I have the courage you lack is unfair and unjust.

For example, a client shoots and wounds a buffalo. Then the buffalo is allowed to run. The client and professional hunter sit down for 30 to 45 minutes to let the buffalo “stiffen.” Is the buffalo not suffering during this time? The buffalo is allowed to “stiffen” which is code word to die. Is that “dangerous game” hunting to you? I pursue my buffalo immediately, every time. I do not want to find him dead. I want him alive. I want him to charge to his death or mine should I fail to stop him. Killing is boring. Great hunting never is. This is who I am. While I am on this point of clients wounding dangerous game and how quickly I go after it, let me address the often-mentioned criticism that I not only risk my own life, but that of my client. Over the past 20 years I have been a professional hunter I have never had a client (or tracker) harmed by an animal being hunted. In every instance, I first obtain express permission from the client. More often than not, a client chooses me to hunt with because of the unique hunting experience I offer. A client knows I have the proven experience to close with dangerous game and correctly books his safari. If the truth be known, I make a pretty good insurance policy.

Mr. Kim Petersen posted a letter addressed to me. I wish to answer his allegations.

The first is I intentionally wound buffalo so as to prompt them into charging. This is not true. I instruct my clients to always make the best possible shot. The indisputable fact is clients shoot poorly and nothing will ever change that reality. Coupled with the fact buffalo are notoriously difficult to kill, these two conditions make hunting them a challenge. I know many of you have killed buffalo with one shot. That is not the norm. Buffalo take a great deal of killing. I know. I have the experience to prove it. The notion that I use a .22 to shoot buffalo in the balls is not worth the effort I am about to make to dispute it, but here it goes anyway. I do not know where you hunt your buffalo. Where I hunt my buffalo the grass, bush, trees, and every other obstacle God created obscures most parts of a buffalo anyhow. In 20 years I do not recall ever seeing the testicles of a buffalo before he was shot nor have I ever had any inclination to try and shoot them. What is the point? For those who have no penchant for ever doing what I do, I can only imagine their minds race wild with things that don’t matter. If you want a buffalo to charge, put yourself in front of him, let him see you, then walk directly at him. The notion that I would waste my time using a .22 should embarrass those spreading the rumor.

The second question is more of a statement than a question. After a client takes his shot on dangerous game, I determine whether or not a backup shot is necessary or even possible. The last thing I want is for a wounded animal to get away. Contrary to what I have been accused of, I do fire backup shots quickly. More often than not, I have been blamed for firing too quickly, too often. I shoot as a backup for a number of reasons. Clients demand that I do. I determine they need help by observing their skills or lack thereof. If I am filming I believe more gun shots are better than fewer gun shots. I remember purchasing a hunting movie where I waited 45 minutes to hear the first gun shot. That may be the kind of movie you like to watch, but not me.

The second part of this is I “taunt my prey…for the purpose of filming a charge.” While this statement seems logical to the inexperienced, it is precisely for that reason why it is not true. Let me explain. An inexperienced client, or equally inexperienced professional hunter, wrongly believes that in order to get a wounded buffalo to charge, you must first “taunt” him. The very fact that someone says this tells me he has limited dangerous game experience and does not know what he says. His knowledge of wounded buffalo behavior is incomplete or simply nonexistent. Let me set the record straight. There are two kinds of buffalo; those that run and those that charge. Ninety-five percent of all wounded buffalo fall into the first category. Those that run will never charge. They are cowards and no amount of campfire story telling will change that fact. The five percent that charge do not have to be taunted at all. The moment it sees you they charge. The idea that it must be taunted into charging is simply untrue. The mere fact that you have violated their personal space by being there is enough to set them off. What is not known beforehand is which kind of buffalo you are confronting. I have never had a buffalo that first runs away, later turn and charge. In my new book “Fear No Death” I go into great detail about this and much more. Anyone interested in knowing what I know should obtain a copy.

The third item, “my clients must sign a non-disclosure agreement” is a new one. I marvel at the creativity of the Mark Sullivan haters of the world. It reminds me when people say my cajones are the size of grapefruit. While I am sure they are trying to flatter me, I later set the record straight and confessed they are the size of watermelons. Directing a client not to talk about his safari with Mark Sullivan would be like trying to tell your wife she can’t go shopping. My clients are highly educated professional people and would never sign such a document. I could no more tell them what to do than they could tell me.

The fourth question conflicts with question #2. On the one hand I am accused of not “firing backup shots to kill a buffalo” at the first opportunity and now I am accused of firing shots “on top of my clients.” Let me tell you this story. In 1997 I did not have a cameraman. Sensitive to the criticism that I shoot clients game “on their dime” I decided to experiment. I would not help a single client shoot his buffalo, except if one charged, and none did. The next three clients wounded five buffalo and all were lost. Each bull had an outside horn measurement greater than 40 inches with one I was sure would exceed 45 inches. All shots were standing broadside shots under 100 yards. The animals seemingly there for the taking and yet they were lost to die a horrible death in the bush. I ask you, “Is that what you want?” Do you wish me not to shoot so the animal runs off never to be found? I cannot believe any hunter wants that. I certainly do not. I believe we have an obligation to kill the animal as quickly and as humanely as possible.

In my movie Death by the TON, the young man’s statement deserves an explanation. I was perturbed you may say, but not for the reasons you state. This is where the way I hunt differs from how you hunt. The reason why I was disappointed is because the charging hippo was too far away to be shot. He was 21 feet away. In my opinion that is too far for a certain killing shot. My instructions to my client (before we entered the arena) were to wait until the hippo breaks the 10 foot barrier before shooting. He did not do that. I do not believe in shooting early. Twenty one feet is much too far. Why is it too far? It goes to the core of how I hunt dangerous game. I believe 10 feet is the correct distance to begin shooting; not 21 feet. It is all about the hunt, not the kill. At 10 feet it is hunting. At 21 feet it is killing. This is how I hunt. By the way, for those of you who have never stood just ten feet in front of a charging animal, there is not a lot of time to shoot. This is why it appears I am shooting “on top of my client” to the inexperienced. If you disagree that is fine. However, your disagreeing with me does not make you right. Conversely, these are solely my views. They do not make me correct either. I prefer to let my clients determine if my hunting method is right for them.

Tomorrow, Saturday, I leave for Tanzania to begin my 21st season. I will not be present to respond to your comments. If I have insulted any of you, please accept my full and complete apology. My intention is not to irritate. My writing manner is direct much like my manner and method of hunting. This is how I am made. It is what makes me—me. I have no trouble with those who disagree. But until you hunt with me you will never know me. I have more clients this year than I have ever had. I do not hold a gun to their heads to get them to sign up. They come to me willingly and leave as life-long friends. I welcome each and everyone one of you to do the same. Remember, shoot straight and let them come close!

In closing, I wish to personally thank those in support of my SCI situation. I know many of you have written SCI on my behalf. I cannot begin to thank you enough. I am humbled by your generosity. I am honored with your friendship. Recently I renewed my membership for an additional three years. Regardless of their treatment of me, I will continue to support SCI at every opportunity.

Great Hunting and Best Wishes,

Mark Sullivan
Professional Hunter

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Children: Each of you to a corner-nose first on the wall-for 10 minutes! Big Grin rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

I respect your opinion. I find them to be quite logical and rational. I am in total agreement with you 99%+ of the time. This is true until the subject of Mark Sullivan comes up. I just simply cannot comprehend the level of spite that is clearly present. While I can understand you not liking certain elements of his methods of hunting (I have personally told him this myself), I have a hard time comprehending the level of hate that comes out when it comes to Mark. Perhaps he is one of those people that rubs you the wrong way.

This makes me think about my neighbors dog. I have run by their house thousands of times. The dog always watched me. He never barked. One day I had a new red sweatshirt. I ran by the house and the previously docile dog went crazy. He became very aggressive. Perhaps Mark is the your equivalent of the red sweatshirt.

As you may recall, I spent some time shooting birds with Mark and Rick Taylor. After that trip, I really find it hard to believe that if you knew Mark you would find many disagreements with him. In fact, I am willing to bet that both of you view hunting, ethics, etc almost identically. Keep in mind that I am referring to the real Mark Sullivan not Mark Sullivan the entertainer.

I have an offer for you. If these hunts are offered in 2019, I will buy you one. I will cover 100% of the costs. When you come back, file a report good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps this will be settled then. This is a 100% serious offer. Please consider this a thank you for all you have done for the members of this forum for so many years. I truly appreciate it. Please consider it.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report Cal.
I would hunt with Mark Sullivan without hesitation.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Saeed:

I respect your opinion. I find them to be quite logical and rational. I am in total agreement with you 99%+ of the time. This is true until the subject of Mark Sullivan comes up. I just simply cannot comprehend the level of spite that is clearly present. While I can understand you not liking certain elements of his methods of hunting (I have personally told him this myself), I have a hard time comprehending the level of hate that comes out when it comes to Mark. Perhaps he is one of those people that rubs you the wrong way.

This makes me think about my neighbors dog. I have run by their house thousands of times. The dog always watched me. He never barked. One day I had a new red sweatshirt. I ran by the house and the previously docile dog went crazy. He became very aggressive. Perhaps Mark is the your equivalent of the red sweatshirt.

As you may recall, I spent some time shooting birds with Mark and Rick Taylor. After that trip, I really find it hard to believe that if you knew Mark you would find many disagreements with him. In fact, I am willing to bet that both of you view hunting, ethics, etc almost identically. Keep in mind that I am referring to the real Mark Sullivan not Mark Sullivan the entertainer.

I have an offer for you. If these hunts are offered in 2019, I will buy you one. I will cover 100% of the costs. When you come back, file a report good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps this will be settled then. This is a 100% serious offer. Please consider this a thank you for all you have done for the members of this forum for so many years. I truly appreciate it. Please consider it.

As always, Larry is willing to do the right thing. Amazing, sir, absolutely amazing.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Shores is a class act in my book.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Cal. Great trophy & experience. I look forward to reading your full report with all the side dishes and desert. Great wine too I am sure ! Big Grin

BTW, Cal, I notice from your photos and from the video clip someone posted, that the buffalo in that property / block do not have any broomed horns at all. All horns are very sharp. If this because of open grass lands?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Great report. It sounds like you enjoyed your time hunting and that is all that really matters!!!

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
It sounds like you enjoyed your time hunting and that is all that really matters!!!

And THAT says it all.

Maybe when someone else starts footing the bill for other peoples hunts, their opinion might matter!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Congratulations Cal. Great trophy & experience. I look forward to reading your full report with all the side dishes and desert. Great wine too I am sure ! Big Grin

BTW, Cal, I notice from your photos and from the video clip someone posted, that the buffalo in that property / block do not have any broomed horns at all. All horns are very sharp. If this because of open grass lands?

You are more observant than I. The grass lands could be the reason.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed:

Larry,

Basically, I cannot stand lies, and fakery.

And it seems everything involved around Mark Sullivan is nothing but that.

A little while ago, his agent advertised a buffalo hunt here with him.

Nothing wrong with it on the face of it.

But, it turned out, it is the usual bullshit that seems to follow Mark Sullivan.

The advertised buffalo hunt was NOT with him - he is unlicensed, and cannot conduct the hunt. He is only being there for self glorification, false advertising.

The buffalo turned out to be an ear tagged pet someone had on their farms.

Why was the offer of the hunt made to sound as Mark Sullivan was the professional hunter conducting the hunt, while it was ILLEGAL for him to do so.

I remember when everyone here were getting all upset when South African professional hunters were tagging along on hunt in Zimbabwe when they were not legally allowed to hunt there.

Same thing here with Cal.

He specifically said buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan.

This was nothing but a white faced lie.

Sullivan was there just for show.

Johann was the professional hunter conducting the hunt.

Why was Johann not given credit for this?

I would have no problem if either his agent, or Cal, said they were having a hunt with XXX professional hunter, and Mark Sullivan is accompanying us.

I hope you see my point.

Mark Sullivan could be the nicest person on this earth.

But both the above hunts I mentioned do not do him, or those involved any favors.

Do they really need to lie now to get people to have him in camp pretending to be a professional hunter??

Let us forget his name and fame for now.

Would you accept having booked a hunt with Johann, and when turned up to camp yiu were told Johann is going to be doing the paperwork, but you will be hunting with an unlicensed individual??

Why do we accept this if it involves Mark Sullivan and his cheerleaders, but if it was another hunter, somewhere else, we would all be up in arms??

PS.

Thank you for the offer of a free hunt.

But, I must say no.

I have absolutely, positively, no wish to even be in the same camp as him.

I would give up hunting if he was my only choice to hunt with.

We are at opposite end of the spectrum.

I do not like self glorification, I do not like people who put themselves above everyone else in their profession. I do not like people who put their clients down.

Mark does all that, and gloats about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your decision Saeed. I respect it.

The only thing I will say is that I think most understood the arrangement in the RSA exactly. I understood exactly what the was happening as it relates to Mark and the PH.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your decision Saeed. I respect it.

The only thing I will say is that I think most understood the arrangement in the RSA exactly. I understood exactly what the was happening as it relates to Mark and the PH.

May be the case Larry.

But actually advertising the way they do is totally wrong.

It is misleading at the very least.

Cal might enjoy being with Sullivan, nothing wrong with that.

Same I like to hunt with WALTER for instance.

But the hunt is conducted by another professional, who should get the credit.

Not the tag along camp drinking buddy.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’d love to tag along with Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Pappas, and Mr. Shores. I’d be just fine as “drinking buddy” with these fine gentlemen. The knowledge I could pick up from these gentlemen would be more than the price of admission.

Saeed, you do great things for us, but you do have a certain hatred for Mr. Sullivan.

However, I do wonder if an angry buffalo (just angry, wounded by shot or snare), would you like Mr. Sullivan there if it comes after you busting from the bush?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I’d love to tag along with Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Pappas, and Mr. Shores. I’d be just fine as “drinking buddy” with these fine gentlemen. The knowledge I could pick up from these gentlemen would be more than the price of admission.

Saeed, you do great things for us, but you do have a certain hatred for Mr. Sullivan.

However, I do wonder if an angry buffalo (just angry, wounded by shot or snare), would you like Mr. Sullivan there if it comes after you busting from the bush?

I do not hate anyone.

I hate lies.

Very simple really.

I have not seen a single buffalo come busting from the bush charging Sullivan!

Every single one was half dead lying right in the open.

Any of our 15 year old kids here would be glad to face it and kill it.

I have shot enough buffalo to know that rarely happens.

Wounded buffalo will hide in the thicket bush they can find.

How come all the ones he uses in his videos seem to conveniently put themselves on the stage, while they set up all the cameras so our fake hero can have his 15 seconds of fame??

Now it seems he is not the only one who is faking it.

His agent, and his “clients” - I use this word very loosely, as he is NOT conducting the hunts - are faking it too!

Bloody amazing if you ask me, for people to stoop so low to glorify an individual who most certainly does not deserve it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Game..set..match to Cal...

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Dandy of a buff there, Cal.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Good morning all. It's early Saturday am here in AK and I'm off for a walk. Sunday I will post the 100% truth to my hunt on a separate thread. I don't know how to link the two so perhaps, once posted, one of you fine folks can add a link to connect the two.

Just a quick tabulation to show the consistancy of AR after I made my initial post.

42 positive comments from a variety of hunting enthusiasts.

13 negative comments, all from Saeed.

Enjoy your day, all.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Administrator
posted Hide Post
You should post it here.

I do not want another thread about a hunt that WAS NOT conducted by Mark Sullivan masquerading as one by him.

If you really want to tell us the truth, why don’t you post your hunt with the proper professional hunter, Johann??

The man whose name appears on the hunt license??

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
#14.

OK Saeed, to keep you happy I added Johann's name to the title of the thread. Anything else I can do for you to keep you in a good mood?
When I make my new thread tomorrow, I will put Johann's name as the PH. What else can I do for you, my friend?
Cheers,
Cal
PS. To all of the AR readership who took offense or just plain didn't understand the situation, allow me to be perfectly clear:

Johann Biewenga is the manager of the ranch/farm I hunted on. He is a resistered PH in South Africa for both plains game and dangerous game. Mark is a Tanzanian PH who is friends with the owner, Basie Kuhn. Mark is not registered as a PH in South Africa. Johann accompanied Mark and I on the hunt to keep within the law of SA.

On the hunt, the people involved and who came on the hunt were (not in any specific order):

Basie, the owner
Steven, the tracker
Andrew, to video the hunt
Johann, the registered PH
Stefan, to ovbserve and write of the hunt
Mark, a tour guide to assist the inexperienced hunter and a friend of Basie
Cal the lying and hero-worshiping hunter

I trust all is clear now. I will add this to my new thread tomorrow so all will understand and keep with Saeed's new guidelines for posting.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Let's see. The title of this thread is "Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan". Doesn't say "Buffalo Hunt conducted by Mark Sullivan". Says "WITH".

So back in 2009, I did a RSA hunt for ranch buffalo "WITH" my son. We had a great time. We were "WITH" each other and enjoying each other's company while hunting buffalo. My son DID NOT conduct the hunt. We had a RSA PH for that. So if I posted a hunt report saying "Buffalo hunt with my son", would that be a lie? Sorry but I just don't see any lie involved here.

Saeed, this obsessive public hatred of Mark Sullivan is beneath you. Or maybe it isn't. Maybe I'm mistaken about that. You've taken personal insult to a man enjoying African hunting in a way that has allowed him to not only earn a living but excel at it with widespread name recognition. That his way is different from yours is irrelevant and long before Cal pointed it out on this thread, you've advocated over and over how we should all enjoy the pursuit in what ever manner pleases us.

Rummers and innuendo surround him but all seem to be started and perpetuated by those who have been eclipsed by Mark's success in the industry. He's not a citizen of any African nation, yet his business model and name recognition far exceeds the native operators. It's easy to see why some would be jealous. But to counter one of your statements, I've spoken to quite a few PH's who have very positive things to say about Mark.

From a personal standpoint, I've spoken to him several times. A couple of times at the SCI convention. He's called me a couple of times at home and he's always been a very personable and likable fellow. I get that some wouldn't care for his manner of joking around. Lots of bravado. But then, being an old fighter jock, that's the very type of joking around we used to do in our squadrons and between competing squadrons. All a big front and all for fun.

When Stu was injured, Mark stepped up to help. You did as well as you contacted me about buying the turkey hunts Larry set up to help Stu. Class act on your part, Larry's part (multiple benefit hunts for Stu set up by Larry), and Mark's part, both by donating the books for anyone who made a contribution for Stu when purchasing Andrew's painting, as well as lending his name and time to encourage larger donations for Stu by participating in the bird hunt Larry set up. BTW, class act on Andrew's part as well! Rick (Pagosawingnut at the time, HogBreath now on AR) also who purchased multiple tickets to draw the bird hunt with Larry and Mark, all to help Stu.

When my friend Mark Proudfoot died recently, MaximusBrutus here on AR, Mark contacted me again offering his condolences. The man doesn't know me from Adam other than my writings here on AR, but he took the time to acknowledge a fellow hunter's grief for the loss of one of our own. I say the man is a class act in real life and I'm fully capable of separating his onscreen entertainment persona when the camera is rolling from what he is in person. Please Saeed, do yourself a favor and get over it man.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Todd. Very well said.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:

I do not hate anyone.

Couldn't tell that from your posts about Mr. Sullivan.

I would hunt with him in a heartbeat if he could get me into some of those 40" plus hard bossed bulls they shoot in his films at a reasonable price.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
So I see someone lying, and bring it up, and I am the one to be blamed???

It is not going to happen here.

This whole sorry state is like this because it involves Mark Sullivan.

An individual who spent years cultivating this sort of character on hunting.

His peers don’t like him because he is superior to them!

He is the only man in Africa who faces charging buffalos, after giving them a choice how to die! rotflmo

He denigrate his clients.

How come the clients who wounded those buffalo do not finish their own??

If this was another individual, you lot would be cheering me now!

If Cal, or anyone else for that matter, posts a truthful hunt report, I have no objection to it.

Again, why is Mark Sullivan getting center stage while the real professional hunter is relegated to the background??

Does Johann get any mention during the hunt?

Isn’t he the LEGALLY employed professional hunter guiding the hunt??

How many hunt reports have you seen posted without full credit given to the professional hunter conducting the hunt?

How many hunt reports have you seen with “my unlicensed tour operator, pretending to be a professional hunter, pointed the buffalo to me and said shoot it”?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Saeed, my friend, to keep all matters civil, is my post above to your satisfaction to clarify the matter? I also changed the title of the thread. If not, tell me what else I can do to keep you happy.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Glad you had an enjoyable hunt Cal...and a very nice bull, for sure.

Glad we all still get to hunt our own way, within the law. And I don't see where there was any lying or deception regarding the hunt and who was conducting it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Take care,

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Now for the real question.

Cal, were there crocks in the water where you were swimming in that photo? Hippos?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Now for the real question.

Cal, were there crocks in the water where you were swimming in that photo? Hippos?

Yes, Todd, there were, but not where I was swimming.
The pic of the croc on the bank was around the corner from my swim, about 150 yards away.
The swim, which I did every day, was more of a quick dip to cool off rather than an lengthy recreational swimming session. Also, there were friends on the lookout and the water was shallow.
Cal

PS. Todd, I want to make this absolutely clear that I was NOT swimming WITH Mark Sullivan. He is NOT a licensed life guard in Zimbabwe and I want this fact understood.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo