ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan and PH Johann Biewenga TRUTHFUL PARODY ADDED!!
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 21

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan and PH Johann Biewenga TRUTHFUL PARODY ADDED!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gentlemen:
Here is my buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan. However, you will get a slightly shorter version as a new magazine, Africa’s Sportsman, wants me to be a regular contributor in all things double. (Rifles, guys, not breasts).

I spent five days at Basie Kuhn’s Haakdoorn Safaris ranch/farm. It was a living stage play with the actors being:

Mark Sullivan—PH and SA tour guide.
Cal Pappas—hunter from Alaska.
Basie Kuhn—owner of Haakdoorn Safaris.
Angela—Basie’s lovely wife.
Basie and Angela’s three daughters—Chene’ (17), Shayla (14), Sheena (10).
Johann Biewenga—farm manager and SA PH registered for both plains and dangerous game.
Joey—Johann’s lovely wife
Stefan Fouche’—1/3 owner of the African’s Sportsman magazine, there to get the story.
Andrew Tolmay—camera man and 1/3 owner of the AS magazine, there to video the hunt.
Clarence Voyles from North Carolina also to hunt buffalo and plains game.
Steven—tracker.
All played a role that, when combined, made the final production an Oscar winner.

I checked in to Alaska Airlines in Anchorage, They took the checked bag with the ammo box in it and I then took the rifle case to TSA inspection. Three hours later I was in Seattle and I had to collect my bags and recheck with Emirates as they reweighed all of my bags, including my carryon and personal bag, had to examine the rifle and check my Emirates permit, and count and weigh my ammunition. TSA in Anchorage cut the clocks off the ammo box and Emirates would not accept the ammo without locks. A quick thinking counter person offered plastic ties and that was acceptable. My carryon was too heavy so I took out two books and placed one in the checked bag and the other in my rifle case. If still too heavy the excess charge was $200 for an extra checked bag.

I arrived at 5:30 am SA time at OR Tambo airport and Basie was there to pick me up. Emirates is a great airline as to comfort and food! A police officer was a rude pain in the ass for my gun permit so it took 20 minutes as he took a 10 minute break as no on other hunters were there.

Basie and I drove to Pretoria for some of KFC and Stefen picked me up there or the trip to the farm as Basie had some business to take care of. Basie, then, flew his helicopter to the ranch and was there when we arrived. Stefen publishes the Africa’s Sportsman magazine and Andrew is his cameraman. Both are part owners in the magazine.

Clarence V. was to meet me in Dubai but he did not get the permit from Emirates. They would not let him fly but refunded all of his money except for $400. He then booked a last minute flight on Delta and arrived at 10pm that day. Johann drove him to get him and they arrived in camp at 1am. Clarence is from North Carolina and has attended the Alaska double shoot the past two years and stayed at my home.

The first day Basie gave me a tour of his holdings. 15,000 acres (approximately) with lots of plains game a buffalo. The center of the property is a huge flat plain covered with brown grass about two feet in height. Lots of animals were seen and, since an impala was needed for the camp pot, I shot an average male. He was standing facing to my left at 48 meters as measured from a range finder. One shot with my .600 Wilkes put a large hole through him and he ran a bit until he was out of blood. The photo is of the exit hole. A great and memorable night at the fire listing to Mark’s stories and jokes that caused me to wet myself I was laughing so hard.

Off for buffalo the second morning. 15,000 plus acres of bush of varying thickness and a huge piece of plains grass land about 2x8 miles. We spotted plains game and several buffalo in the grass which was two feet high. When we closed in on the bull I wanted he was laying down and side ways to us and Mark could not tell his horns to see if he was the buffalo we sought. Then he was up and started to run, turning away from us he looked back. Mark said he was the one and I took a quick snap shot and shot but shot over him—a complete miss. Two more shots were a waste as he was too far away and still running. Off for nearly three hours of followup. He was not wounded so we let him quiet down and we went back to camp for lunch. Also, the wind was blowing not only hard but changing directions and the buffalo winded us many times. We would circle and the wind would shift and he would run. All of this was took place in the huge grass plain. I haver never been able to take running or snap shots with my heavy double. Lack of practice, I guess.

After lunch we searched for a few hours and found the bull again 3/4 to a mile away. He laid down in the grass after we watched him for some time. We made the stalk. Mark and I marked his location on a distant tree on the horizon so we knew approximately where he was and we walked a straight line towards him. However, we didn’t know the distance he was at. The wind was blowing hard but towards us and not shifting so that was a big plus.

At 50 yards or so we were close and Steven saw a horn tip above the grass. Now we knew the distance and it was a matter of time until he faced us. Mark and I walked very slowly through the grass, as quite as possible, with Andrew and his camera behind us. 50 yards, then 40, then 30, then 20. A few more steps and the buff sensed something. He stood up to face us. Mark identified him as the buff we were after and said, “Take him.”

During the stalk I was thinking to keep the bead low in the shallow V of my double. It was a 1914 vintage John Wilkes double rifle in the great .600 nitro express caliber. Snap shooting causes me to take a large bead in the V and shoot high. Now the time was here. It was now or never. A miss or wound in the late afternoon would give very limited time for a stalk and followup. Nightfall could cause us to lose him and have to take up the spoor in the am. The buffalo could be anywhere by then. In retrospect I would have liked to shoot for the brain as that is the classic Sullivan trademark.

The 16-pound .600 came up to my shoulder quickly and I took a fine bead on the center of his chest and pressed the rear trigger. (I have always shot the left barrel/rear trigger first for 25 years. It is now a reflex. When the rifle is raised to my shoulder I slip the automatic safety to off as I place my finger on the rear trigger. When the rifle is at my shoulder, it is ready to fire). The buffalo’s rear legs collapsed and he fell instantly. My finger was now on the front trigger but I knew he was not going anywhere. I reloaded the empty barrel just in case the unimaginable happened but when the rear legs collapse as they did a spine hit is evident.

A moment later Mark and I moved around and approached the buffalo from the back side. He was breathing a bit laboredly so I put an insurance shot down from the top of his shoulder for a quicker end but it was really not needed. He was an amazing buffalo. Huge bodied—seemingly bigger than others I have shot. The horns and boss were amazing to see close up. From the distance when he was first spotted he was estimated to be 42 inches. A tape measure gave only an approximate figure of 43 1/4 inches. The boss was a good 14. We rolled him over in the small clearing he was in for pictures.

To reflect on the experience and to compare the buff I have shot in Zimbabwe: there is no doubt hunting in South Africa has a different flavor than my beloved Zim (after the hunt I would fly to Zim for my 14th trip there). SA does not have the feeling of wild Africa but on a large ranch fair chase hunting is still a challenge. I have hunted ranches in Zim (Dingwall and Marakanga) and had great experiences there as well as several others in SA, also.

Basie’s ranch is a huge piece of real estate. We walked for hours, and drove, too, and did not see a fence after we left the camp area. There is a border fence and also a fence around the living areas but the land is open and wild, both wooded and bush and the large grass area. Plains game abounds as are many shootable buffalo. Kudu there are easily in the mid-50 inch mark. As in SA, I have shot sable on a ranch in Zim and three consecutive years hunted a ranch in southern Zim for plains game and leopard. It was not “put and take” by any stretch of the imagination. While some may find fault with my hunting there I will defend it as fair chase and did walk my tail off, both on my hunt and when a friend wounded a buffalo and the chase took from 8am until the very last light at 6pm.

At the skinning shed the bullets were found and each lost three grains. The Woodleigh solids weighed in both at 897 grains. The bullet that hit the spine had a slight bell to it and the solid that was shot down through the top of his shoulders remained in original condition except with some rifling.

I also know having Mark Sullivan as my PH may begin a bit of a controversy, but I will stand by these words: Mark is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever known. He knows Africa, the black population, the animals, tracking, and all aspects of hunting dangerous game. In addition he has a great sense of humor, is honest-ethical-truthful, and can drink with the best of them. He is a true American patriot with a deep sense of God, family, and country with a strong conviction of borders, language, culture, and the conservative ideals that made America the envy of the world. He is VERY politically savvy. And, of course, his ability with a double rifle is legendary. I have known him for years and am proud to call him my friend. I hope to hunt with him again.

Basie’s Haakdoorn Safaris is absolutely the best and most comfortable hunting camp I have ever been in. His family is actively participating in the operation. His wife, Angela, and their three daughters are there riding horses, preparing the meals, and fun company, etc. The game is managed with limited take off so the animal populations remain stable. Basie forbids shooting from a vehicle.

The game available are buffalo, giraffe, kudu, roan, gemsbok, blesbok, eland, red hartebeest, impala, warthog, sable, zebra, waterbuck, blue wildebeest, and the bird shooting is fabulous. While many hunting operations will state, “Come as a client and leave as a friend” I can attest this to be true in my experience there. I will return for another buffalo next year. Haakdoorn Safaris has my highest recommendation. If any of you gents out there wish to join me next year, please contact me. If a few of you would like to go on a small group hunt and shoot your buffalo with my .600 we can “make a plan.”

I spent three more days on the ranch attending another hunt as an observer and waking and going on game drives to photograph. Then, I flew to Harare to visit friends in Zim for two weeks with one week at a camp on the Zambezi River fishing and photographing game animals. My (almost) yearly vacations and hunts in Africa get better each year. Plans are made now for 2019-20-21. Life is good. Standing in the parking lot at WalMart with a sign asking for money for an African hunt has really paid off!

Thanks for reading this and let the games begin.
Cal

PS. As a side bar: my flight home.
In Harare all went fine with security and rifle check in going smoothly. The rifle was inspected by both Emirates and the Zimbabwe police. Ammo was counted by the police and weighed by Emirates. My bags and carryon were also weighed.
In Dubai I was screened upon departing the plane, then again at the gate, and again at the door where my carryon bags were opened and searched. Carryons were also weighted.
In Seattle, as there is no baggage agreement between the two airlines if a firearm is involved. So, I collected all baggage and gun case, customs inspected the rifle, then to the check in desk at Alaska Air and the rifle again inspected at TSA. I probably will fly Delta again to avoid all the security by having one airline between Alaska and South Africa.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean Mark didn't shoot your Buffalo for you? LOL Having hunted birds with Mark, I can say that he is a consumate gentleman! Hell of a nice guy!
Looks like a good bull!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report...

It’s nice to get it straight instead of the “I heard it from a guy who knows a guy”

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Congrats and thanks for the report. I considered the offer to hunt with MS this year but opted to wait until next year if they offer this again. Good buff!!

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Thank You for the excellent report.

Congratulations on a great Buffalo. tu2 tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this follow up and report Cal...
Sounds like you had a great time and it was exactly what you expected...
Great to hear

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a great hunt. As I have said before, I have the utmost respect for Mark after what he did for Stu Taylor.

The practice of checking bags to airports before you ultimate destination is a bit dangerous; if your bags didn't show up on time, Alaska is only obligated to send to them to the city for which ticketed, not the final destination.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Well done Cal! Awesome buff. I’m surprised that Saeed hasn’t chimed in yet with some of his “teaboy” comments.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is early in the game!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding stuff there Sir, thanks for sharing. The people I know, that actually KNOW Sullivan have nothing but good things to say about him.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your kind words, genetlemen.
Due to the time difference, Saeed is sleeping as this is posted and the first few comments are added. He is, no doubt, dreaming of being on such a hunt!
I'm off to bed soon and in the morning I'm sure to hear from Saeed.
Cheers to you all.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a great hunt Cal.

First hunt report lead by a tour guide! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
C'mon, Saeed, you can do better than that. I expected on less than one paragraph ripping both Mark and myself to shreds.
I'll pick this up in the morning.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good report, glad it went well.
Just one question.
In the last picture, hand shaking over the buff.
From here, it sure looks like his gun is pointed at you.
Whether it was or not, the pose sure looks like it.

Thanks for sharing with us,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
C'mon, Saeed, you can do better than that. I expected on less than one paragraph ripping both Mark and myself to shreds.
I'll pick this up in the morning.
Cal

Last time his agent advertised a hunt with him here he was not licensed to hunt, either plains game of dangerous game in South Africa!

Did he buy a South African professional hunters license. You know, the one that allows you to “hunt” farm animals? clap

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal...good to see that you had a nice hunt in SA..

Your experience with the police is just like mine...they are complete a-holes towards white folks..

Your Wilkes make me supergreen..what velocity do you get with 900 grain solids..? The barrels of your Wilkes are 26" are they not..?

Posts: 3964 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Glad you had a good hunt. Thanks for sharing.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Pondoro:
1900 fps with the 900-grain Woodleighs from my 26-inch barrel.

Georgeld:
Mark's rifle is pointing across my chest and to the front. Both of our rifles are unloaded. I understand your point and thanks.

Saeed:
I don't beleive SA will give licenses to anyone other than SA residents. Mark referred to himself as a "tour guide" in a humerous fashion. Johann is the camp manager and is SA licensed to be a PH for both plains and dangerous game. Folloing the law he accompanied us on each outing.

The "farm animals" is an issue here on AR and everywhere else hunting is discussed. Each of us has our intrinsic limits as to what is fair or not as to the size of the ranch. To make matters more complicated it seems ranch hunting for plains game is OK but not for buffalo and lion. This was my first buffalo in SA. No doubt the feeling is different than in Zim and Tanzania (where I've hunted DG prior) but the size of this ranch, to me at least, was a fair hunt. No, personally, I feel the comments will come because of whom I hunted with rather that where I hunted. Or, where I hunted with Him.
So far all is quite civil.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed your report and photos and a very nice animal at the end of a good stalk in close for the shot.
I take it you prefer all solids for buff or did you choose these over soft nose on this occasion with a lone bull and collateral damage not likely?

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Cal.

I get annoyed with the one size fits all comments here at times about high fence hunting in the RSA. Sure, there are some that are less than sporting . While others are as fair chase as they come. Personally, I have shot one buff in the RSA. We followed it 18.5 miles as measured by GPS before we got it, all behind a high fence. That was as fair chase as it comes.

Mark is very entertaining. I am glad you had a good hunt. If you can lug 16 pounds around all day, you are a better man than me!

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Pondoro:
1900 fps with the 900-grain Woodleighs from my 26-inch barrel.

Georgeld:
Mark's rifle is pointing across my chest and to the front. Both of our rifles are unloaded. I understand your point and thanks.

Saeed:
I don't beleive SA will give licenses to anyone other than SA residents. Mark referred to himself as a "tour guide" in a humerous fashion. Johann is the camp manager and is SA licensed to be a PH for both plains and dangerous game. Folloing the law he accompanied us on each outing.

The "farm animals" is an issue here on AR and everywhere else hunting is discussed. Each of us has our intrinsic limits as to what is fair or not as to the size of the ranch. To make matters more complicated it seems ranch hunting for plains game is OK but not for buffalo and lion. This was my first buffalo in SA. No doubt the feeling is different than in Zim and Tanzania (where I've hunted DG prior) but the size of this ranch, to me at least, was a fair hunt. No, personally, I feel the comments will come because of whom I hunted with rather that where I hunted. Or, where I hunted with Him.
So far all is quite civil.
Cheers,
Cal

When he has no license to operate in South Africa, why is your report titled as you were hunting with him?? clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A friend had a girlfriend who was obsesses with those idiots, the Kardashians.

One day he cane over, without his girl friend.

I asked him “where is your better half?”

“She prefers having dinner with her hero’s, the Kardashians!”

“Are they in DUBAI?”

“No. She is watching their show and having dinner pretending to be with them!”

Not much bloody difference here! clap

Bloody hell, hero worship gone berserk! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,Cal! It is good to see a hunting report from you.How about showing us more pictures? I am sure there were plenty of nice and interesting things you came across.Good to hear you enjoyed your hunt.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Eagle:
I have used Woodleigh solids and softs on buffalo. There was no preference here but Mark likes solids and that's what I had with me. I also had softs for plains game.

Larry:
The .600 is close to retirement. 16 pounds to too much now that I'm in my mid-60s.

Saeed:
Because I was hunting with him. As mentioned a SA PH was there to keep it all within the law. If that's "hero worship gone berserk" I can't argue with you. I believe if Mark found a plant that cured cancer on this hunt you'd still go on the attack. It's all well, Saeed. I posted here knowing you'd get your shorts in a wad over Mark. No offense will be taken so fire away. Damn, it's a good thing President Trump was not on the trip or you'd blow a gasket. I'm sorry your anger consumes you so. Got to go now as I need my morning time at the Sullivan shrine.

Shootaway:
I will post some additional pics tonight as I'll be away for the day.

Cheers, gentlemen.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Administrator
posted Hide Post
When some posts a hunt report, they normally have the name of the PROFESSIONAL HUNTER they hunted with.

Most definitely not the one who is tagging along!

Have it your way.

How come he is no longer hunting in TANZANIA?

I heard a rumor that he is on his last individual who would permit him to hunt on his concession - the rest have had enough apparently!

Is that why he has gravitated to be a non licensed tag along to a proper professional hunter in South Africa now?? clap

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
When some posts a hunt report, they normally have the name of the PROFESSIONAL HUNTER they hunted with.

Most definitely not the one who is tagging along!

Have it your way.

How come he is no longer hunting in TANZANIA?

I heard a rumor that he is on his last individual who would permit him to hunt on his concession - the rest have had enough apparently!

Is that why he has gravitated to be a non licensed tag along to a proper professional hunter in South Africa now?? clap

Read the post, Saeed. Your anger has affected your eyesight. The SA PH is mentioned by name.

Again, at least you're consistent with your anger. Still starting rumors about Mark and Tanzania. "I heard a rumor..." is so you, Saeed. I have posted in the past why Mark is branching out. He still hunts in Tanzania but not as much. You can (and will) speculate the reason(s). In a week he will be in Alaska for a month or more guiding for grizzly and moose.

Cheers my angry mate.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Administrator
posted Hide Post
How come your title does not say BUFFALO HUNTING WITH PROFESSIONAL HUNTER JOHANN BIEWENGA then!

What did Johann do then, hold your hand while you are on your knees glorifying your fake hero? clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buff and great report!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Buff hunt with a 600 NE Wilkes DR, in 2018...doesn't get much better than that. great post, Cal!

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great Buff, Cal. Thanks for posting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And we wonder why thev future of hunting looks so bleak to so many folks.

All it seems like we can do as a group is attack each other over minutiae.

Really sad that a person cannot simply post a report about a hunt they enjoyed and were successful on, without out being attacked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awe.....Saeed is just jealous because he isn't famous. Big Grin

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good time Cal!

Glad you and Mark had fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of guns did Mark and Basi use?

Bestwishes.

B.

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Mark was kind to me and my father before my buffalo hunt. Sent along some freebies and kind words. I found him to be gentlemanly and decent. He'd do to share a campfire with...

Posts: 1242 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nilly nilly nilly nilly animal

So you don't like Mark Sullivan!!!!

BFD, why attack those that do??????

What is anyone accomplishing????

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
And we wonder why thev future of hunting looks so bleak to so many folks.

All it seems like we can do as a group is attack each other over minutiae.

Really sad that a person cannot simply post a report about a hunt they enjoyed and were successful on, without out being attacked.

Are you really happy that he has LIED about who he hunted with?

Why was Mark Sullivan given center stage when he had absolutely no legal way to be there conducting hunts?

Does Johann Biewenga not deserve the credit of a hunt he is conducting?

Is this bending backwards to please a self centered, self glorifying idiot who has given the whole professional hunters name such a terrible reputation?

How many times have we seen here people complain about contracting with professional Hunter A but were given a mediocre, incapable, and in this case ILLEGAL nut case claiming to be allowed to conduct a hunt??

Answer these questions!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Bockhunter:
Mark used a Heym .577 and Basie used a new Westley .577.
CHC:
Saeed has a serious obsession with Mark. No matter the issue, he will attack. It could be jealousy or to get attention or something else. He has made over 1000 of the same posts and will continue to do so. This has accomplished two things: he has lost credibility with many of the readers on AR for doing what he has done here countless times and (2) he has done more than any and all to keep Mark's name alive.

To Saeed's credit he gave me his word he would not delete my thread or ban me from AR for my posts. I'm almost tempted to rewrite the story and tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth; to include every tiny detail of the hunt and hold nothing back. I may begin working on this.

Until then, thanks all for your comments and one fact should be known. At the evening fire I asked Mark if anyone has made negative comments to his face. Without hesitation Mark said, "Never once." For over 25 years, since the early 1990s, when all the crap started of shooting buff in the nuts, tranquilizing buffalo and lions, loss of his PH license, etc., etc., never ONCE has anyone said these things face to face. In addition, from my own tabulations here on AR, every negative comment has come from those who have never hunted or met him in person. AND, all of the postiive comments come from those that know Mark and/or have hunted with him. There is no mix--100% negative come from those who have never hunted with him and 100% positive from those that have hunted with him. That says a lot.

Your turn, Saeed. I'm off to bed soon and I look forward to waking to your cowardly insults and nit-picking. Why? Just because you can. Also, Saeed, may I pen another story of my hunt with Mark--adding much more detail of the pre-hunt, the hunt, and the post-hunt, including what was in the contract? I really don't want you to get too pissed and delete the post nor do I want you to ban me.
Cheers, all, from the far northland of Alaska.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa