Find
Notify
Tools

Just back from Gras in Namabia
 Login/Join

<marshall peacock>
posted
I just returned from a 8 day hunt at the Gras Farm
and I am still on cloud 9 with good reason.

The following were outstanding:
a. accomodations + food
b. helpfulness of staff and PH
c. number of animals
d. variety of animals
e. quality of animals

It was my first trip and arthritis was a big factor.The intensity and difficuly of the hunting
allowed me to function in a manner that minimized the problem.

I took a 36" Gemsbuck and a 50" Kudu.

Completely Satisfied

marshall peacock

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Well, now you have gone and done it. You are hooked.

And ... we want pictures!

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

How accurate was I on the Gras?

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

I'm 4 days away from my one year anniversary of leaving on my first safari (to the Gras) and I want to go back SO BAD!!!!!!

Let's see photos!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
JDS,

Did I neglect to mention this would happen after you booked your first safari? I am so sorry. I forgot to mention that.

I also forgot your medication. It is to be taken once a year, every year for the rest of your life (in order to remain sane).

It consist of the following:

1 part African campfire smoke ... well, the rest is pretty insignificant as you can only get this in Africa.

Come see me on Monday and we will get you fixed up with a nice Buffalo or Leopard maybe. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
See, I left some animals there. [Wink]

Great place, isn't it?

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
First....where are the photo's and harrowing stories???

Congrats on a great safari.

Wendell.....you continue to be a bad influence on folks!!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Griffin>
posted
Congratulations, I like JDS will be one year in August. Isn't it just the best place to start. Not a day goes by I don't think of going back. we need stories and pictures, like a junkie needs his fix. hard to explain how it feels. glad you had a safe trip. Mike-----
"SAFARI" "THE DARK CONTINENT" The words conjure up a mystical world of exotic animals and places, smoking campfires, danger, solitude,freedom to wander over a land that time has forgotten, where lions roar, to seek your soul that has been lost these many years.
---

<Bearhunter>
posted
You have email....

I would like to talk to you about my upcoming trip with Gras.

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Bearhunter . . .

talk to me, too! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Talk to me, too! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I have a website about my hunt last year at the Gras at:

http://users.htcomp.net/jds/safari.html

Wendell . . .

Dadgum you! I recall you looking at me with that twinkle in your eye and saying "Go for it!".

You're just like the schoolyard dope peddler . . . you get us hooked and then we're screwed up from then on!

By the way, out of the blue tonight Becky asked me what the minimum time for a buffalo hunt was!!! [Eek!]

When I pressured her to know why she asked she finally said that if I every did go back to Africa, she wanted to know if there would be extra time to spend in Capetown as a tourist.

Of course, I looked at her with a twinkle in my eye and said, "Go for it!". [Wink]

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bearhunter:
You have email....

I would like to talk to you about my upcoming trip with Gras.

Bearhunter,
I sent you an email. I just hunted there this spring. I'm planning on going back! You're going to have a blast!

My pics;
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290180465

Username: GeorgeInNePa
Password: enter

[ 06-07-2003, 16:50: Message edited by: GeorgeInNePa ]

<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by marshall peacock:
I just returned from a 8 day hunt at the Gras Farm
and I am still on cloud 9 with good reason.

The following were outstanding:
a. accomodations + food
b. helpfulness of staff and PH
c. number of animals
d. variety of animals
e. quality of animals

It was my first trip and arthritis was a big factor.The intensity and difficuly of the hunting
allowed me to function in a manner that minimized the problem.

I took a 36" Gemsbuck and a 50" Kudu.

Completely Satisfied

marshall peacock

Marshall,
Did you spot my AccurateReloading hat above the bar? Speaking of the bar, how did you like the ass-juice? [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
I've got to tell you that the website you put together for your hunt is just fantastic. Well laid out, nice photos, and it really conveys the feelings and excitement of being there. I am booked for RSA next april and can't wait, neither can my bride. I'd like to take my dad the following year as a thank you for all the help and generosity he's shown me. I was thinking Gras would be perfect. He'll be 67 then and his hip gives him some trouble but he's OK on flat or rolling ground. Having been there, how would you rate the terrain and do you think we could get him a few shots under 200 yards?

Posts: 1467 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

Thanks for the compliments on the website . . . I go back and read it every once in awhile to feed the monster called "I wanna go back to Africa!".

Several of my shots were long ones, some by choice and some by necessity. The terrain at the Gras is very similar to northern New Mexico (pronghorn country).

I realize that it is taboo for some folks but a good amount of hunting on the Gras is done out of the hunting vehicle. This is based primarily on necessity as the ranch is 92,000 acres (that's 143 square miles!!!). There is no way that you could hunt much on foot. With two rivers running through the area, the wildlfe do not bunch up as they would around a waterhole.

Tell Jannie and Errol about your Dad's condition and they will work very hard for you! I was amazed at the attention to detail that I saw there. I would feel confident that they could get the shots you needed.

Oh no . . . just talking about it brings back so many memories . . . I WANNA GO BACK!!!

Dadgum you, Wendell!!! [Razz]

Kevin, let me know if I can be more help.

JDS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marshall- Glad to hear you had a great hunt. I just returned yesterday, my son and I had an unforgettable hunt. You and I actually weren't too far from each other I believe, as the first farm we hunted was 40 mi. ESE of Windhoek. We bagged two oryx, a kudu, mtn zebra, hartebeest, 2 jackals, warthog, steenbok, springbok. The kudu was 55 1/2 x 55 in., the bigger oryx went 42 1/8., these were tremendous trophies. I'll have a bunch of stuff posted before the week is out.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted with these folks but my buddy Matt Norman highly recommends them. He is going back to vist again soon and has nothing but good to say about them. That is good enough for me. Not to mention the great trophies he took.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are the mountain zebra hunted on the ranch proper? I've seen a few people post about hunting them in the rocky hills and what a challenging and somewhat unique hunt it was. I'd want to do it that way too. Or are they on the ranch in flatter terrain?

Posts: 1467 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Kev,

I only saw zebra one day. There isn't a mountainous part of the Gras but there is a large area that's hard to explain. I hate to say that it's just "hilly" because that's not really accurate. The tops of the "hills" are probably a hundred and fifty feet or so above the bottom of the valleys but they are not open rocks like you might expect. Everything is covered with grass so it looks a lot easier than it really is.

From one "hill" to another is probably 200 - 400 yards, depending on where you are. You can be a hundred yards from game and not know it. There is very little brush so when you top a hill there is no hiding - for you or the game.

Maybe Wendell can explain it better . . .

JDS

<marshall peacock>
posted
Kev
I just returned from Gras and the Zebra were seen
each day. We flew in the ultrlite and saw groups
of 20+ often. The descriptions of the rocky hills
are accurate. I expect to go again and they will
be first on my list.MY impression is that the hunting will be a challenge thus making it a hunt to remember. Gras offers a large # of species and
you will enjoy the accomodations and the PH.

I talked to JDS and found his information valuable
and I will help you in any way.

marshall

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jds:
I have a website about my hunt last year at the Gras at:

http://users.htcomp.net/jds/safari.html

Jerry,

That is an excellent website/hunt report you created. It makes me long to go back again myself. My trophies should be ready this summer. I can't wait to return!

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by marshall peacock:
Kev
I just returned from Gras and the Zebra were seen
each day. We flew in the ultrlite and saw groups
of 20+ often. The descriptions of the rocky hills
are accurate. I expect to go again and they will
be first on my list.MY impression is that the hunting will be a challenge thus making it a hunt to remember. Gras offers a large # of species and
you will enjoy the accomodations and the PH.

I talked to JDS and found his information valuable
and I will help you in any way.

marshall

Marshall,
Did you go up in the new ultralight? I was going to fly in the old one but we found a broken bolt in the wing just before taking off! I was looking forward to it. Next time for sure.

I only saw zebra the first day on the 10 day hunt! Didn't see them after that. That place is big, with plenty of places for the animals to hide.

<marshall peacock>
posted
George
Yes I went up in the new ultrlite and it was a
powerpoint of the trip. We saw Kudu of 50+"
and every species available from the air. While I
was there the people from the electric company
visited and they expect power about Sept.

I have already been to the bank and got the $ started for a return trip. I used a 300 Win Mg.,but I am now haveing my 30-06 rechambered to
the Ackley Improved version.

I am waiting for the CD from Errol to post pictures.

Glad you had a great hunt.

marshall

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh just shut up the lot of you. Reading all these hunting reports are making me jealous. I wont be going to Africa until next year. I,m thinking of Tanzania as well.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Everyone,

It is great to see some old friends on this thread. I am sitting in the Jo-burg airport on my way home from Gras. Not as long of a trip as last year, only 1 month so far. I'll be back next month for a little while too. We've had a great safari season so far, and I can't wait to catch up with everyone.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mage Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote