Tools

Great Zim Hunt -- PHOTOS ADDED
 Login/Join

posted
Area Hunted: Dande East and Dande North, Zimbabwe
Professional Hunter: Richard Tabor
Outfitter: Charlton McCallum Safaris
Firearm: Kimber Caprivi, .375 H&H

I just returned from an unbelievable safari and hunting experience in Zimbabwe with Charlton McCallum Safaris, hunting the Dande East and Dande North hunting concessions. This hunt was booked last year as a sable/buffalo/plains game hunt, and it became very exciting from the start.

While the hunt is described below, in summary I will say I was extremely pleased with CM Safaris, my PH Rich Tabor, the entire staff of trackers, scouts, cooks and camp workers, and the overall quality of the experience. My wife Romona joined me on this safari, and we stayed in 4 different camps over the course of a 16-day hunt. All facilities were in top-notch condition, well stocked and managed. The food was great, staff was very cordial, and Rich was an absolute pleasure to hunt with and get to know. This was my first trip to Africa, and I feel like I got 2 or 3 safaris in one – definitely one of the highlights of my hunting career.

Now for the hunt report:

The first day consisted of driving the Dande East unit to check the roads and waterholes for tracks, just to get an idea of activity in the area we would be hunting. We made a few walks, and saw quite a few sable, impala and a few kudu. We saw a really nice sable (around 39”) on the first morning, but Rich decided not to pursue it. He was confident we could take a 40”+ bull if we were patient, and we had a 16-day safari ahead of us.

Day 2 consisted of walking, tracking buffalo and seeing more sable and kudu. We almost got a nice kudu at the end of the afternoon, but we couldn’t determine how good the tips were quickly enough – we only needed a few more seconds on him, but he saw us and was gone.

Day 3 was the day we got a big sable. We had seen a herd of around 40 sable each of the 1st 2 days, but the largest bulls were only 37-38”. Today, however, a larger bull had joined the group and I knew I wanted him as soon as I saw him. Rich gave me the green light pretty quickly, and we promptly made a stalk and got the shot from around 120 yards.

That was early in the morning, so we took him back to camp, ate an early lunch and went back out. We began tracking a herd of around 30 buffalo, and when we finally got sight of them, there was a great bull in the bunch. We chased them for several hours in the thick stuff, but we never got a shot opportunity. We saw that big bull several times, and we knew he was one to go after.

On day 4, we picked up the track of the buffalo herd from the evening before and caught up with them around 9 am. I shot that bull twice, and we ended up getting him after a long day of tracking and following. The trackers did a phenomenal job of keeping up with him, and Rich and I were both excited to finally get him down. He is a great bull, with huge drops and sweeps, measuring 40” wide.

We hunted the next day for Kudu and then decided to move to the Mururu camp in the Dande North to try for some of the plains game that were more plentiful in that area (zebra, bushbuck, waterbuck). I also learned that a leopard tag was available and decided to try to for one since we were only 5 days into a 16-day hunt. It turned out to be a great decision.

On day 7, from the Mururu camp, we tracked a herd of zebra and I shot a really nice stallion around mid-morning. We spent the rest of the afternoon “swingin’ steaks” – hanging 5 baits in hopes of attracting a big male leopard.

The morning of day 8, we found big tracks around the first bait we had hung, so we built a blind and prepared to hunt it that evening. We returned to the blind at 4:15, and the leopard showed up around 5:30 and I got him then. This was unbelievable luck to locate and get on a leopard so quickly – I still can’t believe it. Everyone in camp assured me I was probably the luckiest hunter in the Zambezi valley at that moment. It was a really neat experience to drive into camp with all of the staff singing and chanting. Everyone in camp delayed their supper and stayed up to see us arrive with the big cat. It sure felt like a big deal.

The next morning, Rich and his team removed the 5 leopard baits and we relocated them to an area closer to camp where we could try for a hyena in the early morning hours. It took 2 nights for the hyenas to find the bait, and the first morning we hunted them, they left before it was light enough for me to shoot. There was a lioness on the bait as well, probably keeping them more on edge than normal. Regardless, we snuck in the next morning in the dark and got one at first light. I now understand why the PH’s describe them as an under-rated trophy. They are certainly a great trophy, and I’m really glad I got one.

The rest of the hunting days were spent making walks to locate kudu, bushbuck, waterbuck, warthog, impala, etc. With the big animals behind me after the first 8 days, we relaxed a bit and rotated to other camps in order for Romona and me to get a broader experience in the area. It was a wonderful time. I ended up shooting a 2nd zebra and got a really nice impala.

We ended our hunt with 2 days at the Motombo river camp, which has a tremendous view of the Zambezi River – especially at sunset. We went out on the river each of those 2 afternoons, and we saw lots of hippos and crocs, and quite a few elephant as we made walks looking for bushbuck and waterbuck. It was a great way to end the hunt.

As I said before, all in all, this was a tremendous experience. With 16 days, we were able to really settle into a long hunt, develop a routine of rising early, walking a lot each day, relaxing around the fire with a couple of “sundowners” before supper, and then retiring early. The trophy quality was exceptional, and I still can’t believe my good fortune to take a great sable, a great buffalo, a leopard and a hyena on a single safari.

Also, I can’t say enough about the professionalism of the staff and how well the entire operation was run. I would definitely recommend this hunt and CM Safaris to anyone who can walk and would enjoy the tracking-style of hunting like we did for the buffalo. That was my favorite.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome John...Fantastic report and I enjoyed it!
Big CONGRATS to you and your wife and the CMS Team tu2

EXCELLENT!

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Hunted w/Rich in 2010...buff/sable/hippo..... Great PH.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
WHERE ARE THE PICTURES???? dancing

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
As one of my good friends says "this post is worthless without pictures".

On a serious note. Congrats on an amazing safari. Well done. Looking forward to the pics. Glad to hear your wife went along and had a great time.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
OK John, now time for us to see some pics of those great trophies.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
OK OK. Photos added. Smiler I had to get instruction on how to do that. Thanks Mike Jines!

One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Dammit man! What a sweet bag! Congratulations to you..

Posts: 255 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies but my favorite has to be the buff. Love the drop to his horns!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
Wow! Truly amazing trophies all around. That buff is crazy cool. I love those drops.
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll say it again even now that pics are up....EXCELLENT!!! tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Cracking first safari. Classic Buffalo and very well done on your great Leopard and Sable.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superb, and welcome to the forum.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Brogan:
I was extremely pleased with CM Safaris....

Ya Think?! Holy sweet mother of baby Jesus, what a great hunt! Hard not to be envious of your trip.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to AR.

Best-

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Great report.

CMS does a heck of a job.

They consistently produce great results, congrats to all involved.

Cheers!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What an outstanding safari! tu2 Congratulations on your success! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was a dream hunt! Congratulations on a fantastic first safari. Now you are hooked.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and report. Some very nice trophies.
Congrats

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for the congrats and complements. I'm new to the site -- really appreciate the positive feedback.

I'm definitely off the deep end. Just bought a Merkel .470 NE double today. Jeez! Will probably be needing lots of advice from all of you to get it shooting right.Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your first hunt John. You picked a winner for sure. CMS and Rich Tabor are certainly top shelf. I've hunted with Rich twice now and he has to be one of the hardest working PHs around. Not only that, but he IS "The Cat Man" securing my "Mr. Spots" on day 13 of a 14 day hunt. Like you, my very first post on AR was from a Leopard hunt with Rich and CMS.

Congrats again and I hope you have many, many more great hunts! Welcome to the forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trip John - congratulations!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Great report and congratulations on your trophies. I always thought my picture of sundown on the Zambezi was killer...until I saw yours - outstanding.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine hunt.That picture of you and Rich with the buff has an effect on me.I am jealous.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John.
I certainly understand why you're pleased. Great hunt, great trophies, great outfitter.
Many congratulations and thank you for posting.
Jytte

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You really did well!

beautiful trophies!

Leopard that quickly? my goodness!

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi John and Ramona

It was such a pleasure to sharing a camp with you guys! Well done on a truly outstanding first hunt!! Rich keeps providing the goods! Looking forward to seeing you both at the shows. Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fvh40
posted Hide Post
Conations on a fantastic first hunt in Zim. Nice write up and awesome pictures, thanks for sharing

PH 47/2015 EC
HC 16/2015 EC
Ferdi Venter
ferdiventer@gmail.com
http://www.ferdiventerhunting.com

Nature at your doorstep

Posts: 305 | Location: SA Eastern Cape | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report; thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fvh40
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvh40:
Conations on a fantastic first hunt in Zim. Nice write up and awesome pictures, thanks for sharing

Congratulations, that's the word I was typing Big Grin

PH 47/2015 EC
HC 16/2015 EC
Ferdi Venter
ferdiventer@gmail.com
http://www.ferdiventerhunting.com

Nature at your doorstep

Posts: 305 | Location: SA Eastern Cape | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really good stuff!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishN4Eyes:

CMS does a heck of a job.

They consistently produce great results

Cheers!

That's the truth.

Congratulations John, Rich and team, excellent.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt... Nice cat!!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got some really nice animals there on a great hunt, love your buff! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Well done. Thanks for the report

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful first hunt and to be able to share it with your wife. I hope that she understands the great success you had....
love the curls on that Buff

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt!

What ammo, bullet types, weights did you use?

Hook em Horns

Posts: 330 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great animals. I particularly loved the drop on the buffalo and am jealous of your Hyena. CMS really does provide wonderful experiences.

posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all the congrats and compliments. Most of them should go to Rich who worked his butt off and to CMS for running such a smooth operation. We were totally focused on hunting and having fun, with no worries about logistics.

Re: the question about ammo, etc.: I shot everything with my Kimber Caprivi .375, Federal Cape-Shock Swift A-Frames, 300-grain. Also a couple of 300-grain solids in the buffalo from Superior Ammunition -- they developed a solid load that blueprinted with the A-Frames. The Swift A-Frames were awesome. Every one of them performed perfectly.

Got to learn a new load now. Just bought a Merkel double in .470 NE. Guess I'm going back.