ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Complete Hunt Report: CMS Lion and Buffalo Hunt
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Complete Hunt Report: CMS Lion and Buffalo Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. Great hunt there.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Well done Mike congratulations clap

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, buffalo and lion, Mike. Keep on whack'n and stack'n. MMP

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great report.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, you ARE allowed to smile in the pix :-)

PS: Next time bring some cheap stogies for Buzz. Since he's married, he's not allowed to smoke them at home, so ANY cigar will taste great!

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Ok, I cant quit looking at the cat photos, except when I look at the buff photos!

Congrats! You and Buzz have certainly made some special memories.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Mike, I don't care what everybody else says about you, I think you're a good guy. Your rent-a-container is already full of trophies and then you go and do this (although it looks a whole lot like the same animals in your last hunt report further down the hunt report threads). Who was the smith on your rifle? You can PM me on that to avoid Forrest wading in with recommendations on butt pads. I feel sick about not being able to be at DSC this year, since it's the only time I get to catch up with you guys (who refuse to stop in Paris which is by the way on your route) and wish you would debrief in Paris on the way back so that somebody can get the story right and you probably owe me a bottle of champagne for some bet I won but we both forgot about.

Anyway, I wish I had been there. Looks like you had a great one.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You caught me, I just post the same pictures year after year and try to come up with a new hunting story to go with the pictures. That is also the secret to how I maintain my same youthful and svelte figure year over year. Forrest wanted to trade me a brace of his Wiebe rifles for the Ruger, but I turned him down since none of his rifles had a muzzle break.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Will there be any footage of this hunt on Buzz's next DVD? I am curious, what made you choose the 375 ruger guide gun over your doubles? Would you take it again?

Regards
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoyaler:
Mike

Will there be any footage of this hunt on Buzz's next DVD? I am curious, what made you choose the 375 ruger guide gun over your doubles? Would you take it again?

Regards
Mark

I am curious too. I did not want to ask but now that the question is out. I know you have a stable of fine bolts as well as doubles.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Fair question. I took the Ruger because I wanted (i) a rifle that was scoped in case we ended up sitting in a blind, and (ii) a rifle that I could use/abuse and not worry about. I had a double (Verney Carron .470) and we carried it some days but the opportunity just never arose to use it when we had it with us. The Ruger handles well and shoots superbly (although I did miss two bushbucks with it, but the fault rested with the shooter). With the laminated stock and the stainless barreled action, I never fretted hauling it through the dirt crawling, banging it into trees on walks, etc. I would not hesitate for an instance to use the Ruger again.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike!

I have the 375 Ruger Alaskan version that I carried on several moose hunts in Alaska. It was great as like you pointed out just throw it in the raft and go!

I like the looks of the guide gun and can't find one.

Regards
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Once again, congrats, Mike. Great animals. Love that big old cat. tu2

There oughta be a law, though, against killing such magnificent trophies with such a butt-ugly rifle! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike congratulations on a great hunt, report and photos. Thanks for sharing

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
hot shot hunt

good on ya

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:
I know this is a few days late. Great pictures and story.
Did you notice in the first two lion pics the R eye is open on one, and nearly closed in the other?

Any idea what species of tree that was? A few yrs ago I pulled a Catalpa out by the roots that was about 10" dia. Man was it stuck to China! But, the roots both top and bottom views looked exactly like that dead one you showed here. Just curious is all.

Glad you had a great hunt. Nice shooting too.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Great hunt-great report. Sounds like you had fun!

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Great job !! I think that's a fantastic lion.I hope that Dande still has a brute left as I'll be there in July looking for one.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Dream hunt for sure. Thanks for posting the pics.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, I feel very fortunate for the success we enjoyed on the hunt.

George, I believe the tree is a mopane. If I am mistaken perhaps someone will chime in.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike. That is tough country at a difficult time of the year. You had amazing success. Three bushpigs out of one group is incredible. Well done!

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RickCap
posted Hide Post
Mike, congrats on the hunt and awesome trophies. I had similiar performance/success with the Barnes TSX in 2012 on buffalo and lion. See you in Dallas.

Rick

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate NY, USA | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike - Man, I could not figure out where this lion had come from in your recent avatar pic, now I know! Too much guiding/hunting lately, so I missed this one.

WOW!!! Huge congrats my friend, super happy for you and Buzz!! A lot of greats pics too, thanks for sharing.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aaron, as I said above, I feel very fortunate. With all the controversy surrounding lion hunting, not sure how many years hunters will be able to hunt lions. To have been able to do so, take a free range lion in an area like the Zambezi Valley and do it with a friend like Buzz was a real blessing.

Mike