ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Damara Dik Dik, Mountain Zebra, Damara Springbok-Westfalen Safaris-Namibia
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damara Dik Dik, Mountain Zebra, Damara Springbok-Westfalen Safaris-Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
Based upon the recommendations of Greg Brownlee and others here on AR, I recently hunted free range Damara Dik Dik, Mountain Zebra and Damara Springbok with Westfalen Safaris out of Outjo, Namibia. The hunting was, at times, strenuous (Mountain Zebra free range hunting is TOUGH), but rewarding. I was able to take a 3 1/2 inch Dik Dik, a great Mountain Zebra Stallion and a 15 inch old Damara Springbok. The food was gourmet in every regard, the accomodations very nice and the company of John, Juliana, and their 17 year old daughter Juretha very enjoyable. I also shot 3 gemsbok for John for meat, one of which was 41 inches. I used my MG Arms Ultralight 325 WSM for everything, except the Springbok which I shot with my custom 300 WSM. My wife and I visited the local Himba village and took a day and toured Etosha National Park. Enjoy the pics! Damar Dik Dik Mountain Zebra Damara Springbok Some of the food Etosha National Park Himba Village Himba Queen's braids Orphaned Mountain Zebra Colt John celebrating his 52nd birthday One of the gemsbok cows shot for meat Zebra smoked appetizers with olives My favorite African sodas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos, thank you for sharing!

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I love the pictures, definitely out of the norm.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looked like you had a great time and adventure Vaughan. Love the Dik Dik!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
The perfect animals to chase in Namibia! Congrats

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I love the Outjo area- was there in July. Did your stop at the "Backerei" (Bakery) in Outjo for some pastries? They have the best apple strudel I've ever tasted.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bud: Unfortunately, were only in Outjo just briefly coming and going, and I am sorry that we missed the Backerei! I love apple strudel too! tu2 Next time for sure! Big Grin Hey Russell: I will post some of the 'close up" pics of the Dik Dik for you shortly. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here you go Russell:

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats Vaughn!

Certainly on my short list for my next trip!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job!! I hunted with Westfalen last year. Wonderful people and place.

Thanks for posting your trip.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to post a few more pics of Namibia. Here is the Etosha Pan in Etosha National Park: Light bulb in the local Himba school (powered by a hole in the roof and a water bottle that diffuses the sunlight into the room: All Himba lose their two bottom front teeth in a ceremony around the sacred fire when they are young in order to be able to pronounce certain items in their language. Himba also never bath or wash their hair their entire lives, but have beautiful skin: Black faced impala in Etosha: Local Himba school. Only a few are chosen by the Queen of village to attend the school. They then leave their village for good. More of the gourmet food prepared by Juliana: Getting ready for dinner and a nice evening campfire: Ceremonial Himba horn made of gemsbok horn and honey bee wax: Preparing for the daily Himba ritual of 'perfuming", and the subsquent 'cleaning' of a Himba's clothing by smoke from the sacred fire: The 'pillow" that a Himba man sleeps on:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What wonderful photos and memories. Love the dik-dik!

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Marty! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
UEG congratulations on a great safari. Thoroughly enjoyed your report and excellent Photos, well done.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you my friend!

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Very cool safari for some very cool animals... congratulations!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
I always look forward to the reports from your safaris.....Congratulations that dik dik is outstanding.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I wanted to post a few more pics of Namibia. Here is the Etosha Pan in Etosha National Park:

So strange but I know exactly where that Camel Thorn is.

And I agree 1000% on the difficulty of hunting Hartman Zebra.

Nicely done Vaughn.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7593 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!, those are some very interesting animals, and seems like a great time! Thanks for sharing your report and pictures, I enjoyed them.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! Big Grin A significant part of the enjoyment of my overall Safari experience is sharing my stories and pics with my friends. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Vaughn, sorry I didn't see this until now! Great recap and that Dik Dik is not one to scoff at!

Great photos, and thanks for allowing me to help you with this one.

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loved the story and pics. My mtn zebra hunt was a ball buster too, and like you, I enjoyed it a lot. Did you see many kudu while you were there?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report Vaughn, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Proper. Food looks great. Serious Dik Dik.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Mt zebra has to be my favorite animal to hunt in Namibia. Thanks for sharing.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your hunt in Namibia.

My wife and I have hunted with Westfalen. It was a great time and Julianna can really cook!

I enjoyed hunting the Mountain Zebra more than any other. It was the best meat I've ever tasted in my life. Maybe it was Julianna's cooking...

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JGRaider: We saw some Kudu, but nothing that I would have considered to shoot. I think that it's going to take some time for the Kudu to rebuild. And yes, hunting Mountain Zebra is a ball buster! samir: Yes, I think that hunting Mountain Zebra in Namibia would be my favorite trophy to hunt there again! surefire7: Juliana's cooking was gourmet in every aspect and respect. As for the meat that we ate, we had lamb, gemsbok (amazing!), chicken, eland, giraffe and zebra. The zebra was out of this world, especially the smoked and thinly sliced fresh zebra appetizers served with marinated green olives! Furthermore, John's gemsbok 'chili bits' (biltong) was very appetizing as well! To everyone else: Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks all! Big Grin A significant part of the enjoyment of my overall Safari experience is sharing my stories and pics with my friends. tu2

It indeed is, always enjoy reading your reports.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
great photos thanks,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul. I wore the new Courtney Selous that I purchased from you earlier this year on this hunt! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of a Dik Dik mate! tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks my friend! tu2 It is indeed! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vaughan,

Nice report, pix and trophies. Glad you got to do some touring. There's always lots of neat stuff in addition to the hunting if you look for it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that one Mark! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
I wanted to post a few more pics of Namibia. Here is the Etosha Pan in Etosha National Park:

So strange but I know exactly where that Camel Thorn is.

And I agree 1000% on the difficulty of hunting Hartman Zebra.

Nicely done Vaughn.

Cheers
Jim

JIM: Here is the EXACT same picture of the same tree I took in Etosha in 2012:

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool Bud!!! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed Sultan:
UEG congratulations on a great safari. Thoroughly enjoyed your report and excellent Photos, well done.

+1 tu2

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Great pics! John and Juliana are wonderful hosts. Trying to get back there this year. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are, and John works awfully hard to make sure that his hunters succeed. Big Grin Then he comes back to the lodge and braais all of the meat for dinner! tu2 Good people they are! tu2