Find
Notify
Tools

Gras Hunting Ranch - Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GLRodgers
posted
This is a report on our hunting trip to Namibia, Africa in August of 2006. A group of six (three hunters and three observers) spent 7 days hunting plains game at Gras Hunting Ranch.

I have have lived in Alaska for 26 years and have taken most of the big game animals Alaska has to offer. Moose, black bear, brown bear, and dall sheep some with gun and some with bow. I have hunted some of the most remote, God forsaken places you can imagine. I don’t give out recommendations lightly.

What a fantastic experience we had in Namibia. “The Gras Hunting Ranch is 145 miles (232km) south of Windhoek, the capital of Namibia. The hunting territories cover over 37500 hectares (92800 acres) of arid bush land with Savannah. It is known for its abundant wildlife and majestic views. Gras Hunting Ranch is considered to be one of the most beautiful game ranches in Namibia.†The lodge was built in 1906 and has been meticulously maintained. The accommodations are superb.

Our PH Errol Lambrechts is a first rate guide and will see to every detail of the hunt. Jannie Spangenberg the owner and his staff at Gras Hunting Ranch are experienced and provide a superior hunting experience.
info@zingelasafaris.com

Over 6 days of hunting I took 7 very nice trophies. (I could have taken much more)
2 Springbok, one measured 16 ¾ in.
Kudu
Gemsbok, over 40 in.
Mt. Zebra, very large
Warthog
Blue Wildebeest

Daily rate:
$230.00 US for 2 X 1
$310.00 US 1 X 1
$120.00 US observer/non-hunting guest

Trophy fees are very reasonable.
Accommodations are fantastic.

Game was every where. From one high lookout by the Fish river we saw a mixed herd of planes game to numerous to count. Springbok, kudu, wildebeest, zebra, hartebeest and baboon all were feeding together along the river. It was like a scene out of Jurassic Park the movie. Even Jannie the guide and host of the ranch remarked “Wow, that’s a lot of animalsâ€. Everyone on the truck sat and watched in awe as the morning scene unfolded before us.

If you like to see lots of game and like to hunt “big open spaces†this is the spot for you. You can get some very nice long range shooting in Namibia or hunt the water holes from a blind.

Namibia is a thriving tourist destination with a stable government and has great hunting to boot. English is the official language. We give this outfit a 5 star rating.

If you ever get the chance to visit Africa I would recommend a hunt at Gras. Jannie, Errol, and the staff will make your stay comfortable and your hunt exciting and memorable. They are without a doubt “world classâ€.

Greg Rodgers
Eagle River, Alaska

GLRodgers

Posts: 45 | Location: Eagle River Alaska | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Nice report. Very nice Springbok, How long was the Gemsobk? It looks very long.

I hunted Gras in May 2005 and had a wonderful time. Errol and Jannie are first class guys. Very frinedly. The accomodations and food was fantastic. I had the exact same thought about it being like Jurasic Park. One day we were spotting and we noticed movement above the horizon in the distance. It turned out to be just the upper necks and heads of Giraffe. It reminded me of the scene in Jurasic Park where they are in the tree at night and all the long necks rise from the trees.

As i sit in my office I am looking at my very nice sprinbok and two wildebeests hanging around me.
I highly recommend Gras. They treat you right.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2576 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report. Thanks

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is great to hear - I leave May 11th for a week at Gras. This will be my first safari - the anticipation is almost too much.

Scott

Posts: 307 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice report.
What rifle/caliber did you use and how long were the shots?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GLRodgers
posted Hide Post
TerryR,
I used a 7mm mag. that I rented from Gras. It was the cal. I was use to. Most shots were 250yards+. One kill was 400yards late in the evening going away on a Kudu. I wanted to take my weapon but we were going through Germany and did some photo travel around Namibia after the hunt. Carting a weapon around was a problem.

GLRodgers

Posts: 45 | Location: Eagle River Alaska | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GLRodgers
posted Hide Post
PS the gemsbok was 40 1/2 inch.

GLRodgers

One of Us
Picture of Don Lietzau
posted Hide Post
Hey Greg
Glad you enjoyed the trip. I know Cindy & I had a blast. Have hunted Gras and toured Namibia before and still would like to go back. Jannie and Errol and all the folks at Gras really make me feel like family. Glad I had the chance to do the trip with you. I know dad and Deloris are ready to go back. Dad is still talking about his "once in a life time" trip.I will see if I can round up a few of dad's photos and get them posted. Don Lietzau

Don Lietzau
1-907-688-6946
Don Lietzau's Outdoor Adventures
20508 Mark Circle,
Chugiak, Alaska 99567

Posts: 41 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Feel Like family is the correct way of putting it. I got quite sick one day while there (stomach flu), but my buddy kept hunting. The next morning I felt much better, and spent some time kicking a ball around with Jannies son.

A truly delightful trip.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2576 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt and some nice trophies... Namibia is a fun country to hunt!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg
The excellent report is appreciated. I am headed there in July. Could you tell us a little about the shooting rests you used and would recommend? Sticks, bipod, etc. Were you able to take any shots sitting and/or prone?

Thank you

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Errol Lambrechts
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the nice things that you had to say about us. It makes our job so much more worth while

Errol Lambrechts
Zingela Safaris
www.zingelasafaris.com

Posts: 13 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don Lietzau
posted Hide Post
Errol
Good to see your still alive. I trust your golf game is going well during the off season. Give my regards to Christine and the Gras Gang. Hope to get back and hunt with you soon but 2007 is Alaska year. Keep in touch.

Don Lietzau
1-907-688-6946
20508 Mark Circle,
Chugiak, Alaska 99567

One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
I have hunted gras 3 times and it keeps getting better and better. Jannie goes out of his way to make things just the way you need them. I am going again in June and taking my dad for his first safari there. I cant wait for some more of Anri's cooking! and a little hunting as well.
Ray

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GLRodgers
posted Hide Post
I have a few more pics to post from the trip to Gras. Sounds like Namibia fever is spreading. Several others have posted plans for a trip to hunt Gras. Good luck and have fun..... dancing

GLRodgers

One of Us
Picture of GLRodgers
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot the Kudu..... dancing

GLRodgers

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great report. Glad you had a great time. I will correct the photo tags in your last two posts..

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wonderful report and great pictures!

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I know at least 20 hunters who hunted there all gave very good opinons.Among them Don Lietzau of worldtrek safaris who hunted with me here.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don Lietzau
posted Hide Post
Juan, what you been doing? I trust all is well with your family. One day you must come out and we shall hunt again together here in Alaska for Brown Bear. Looking forward to hunting again with you and "Willy" in Atgentina or maybe we can meet at Gras?
Best Regards my Friend

Don Lietzau
1-907-688-6946
20508 Mark Circle,
Chugiak, Alaska 99567

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I logged on to start researching for a trip for 2008 and the first hunt report I find is for Gras. My wife and I had a great time there in 2003.

I can't believe it's been 4 years already!

------------------------------------
Add about 360 posts to the total. My username was wiped out with the last board update.

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote