ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Buffalo and Tuskless with Charlton McCallum, June 14-18, 2013
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo and Tuskless with Charlton McCallum, June 14-18, 2013
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dates: July 14 – 28, 2013
Location: Dande Concession, Mururu Camp, Charlton McCallum Safaris, Zimbabwe http://www.cmsafaris.com/
Hunter and Observer: David Maple and Darla Maple
PH: Alan Shearing
Firearm and Ammunition: CZ 550 American in .404 Jeffery, 400 grain TSX and 400 grain Woodleigh solid handloads.
Hunting Method: Tracking
Animals Observed: Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Impala, Kudu, Common Duiker, Grysbok, Scrub Hare, Warthog, Bushbuck, Klipspringer, African Wild Dog, Hyrax, Baboon, Vervet Monkey, Helmeted Guinea Fowl, Crested Guinea Fowl, Double Banded Sand Grouse, Cape Laughing Dove
Game Hunted and Taken: bull Cape Buffalo, tuskless cow elephant
Game Hunted and MISSED: Bushbuck
Travel Arrangements: Shawn at Gracey Travel

It had been 3 long years since we last touched down in Harare and began our drive to the Dande Safari Area in northern Zimbabwe. Long enough for the memory of the 7-hour long, pot-holed, dusty drive to fade into a distant memory. But like the experience of childbirth, it didn’t take us long to wonder why we had ever consented to undertake this painful undertaking again without drugs!

Our PH was Alan Shearing, and the drive provided us the opportunity to start to get to know each other. Darla and I immediately slid into comfortable conversation with him - asking a thousand questions about a thousand subjects. Alan answered them all in his quiet professional way - and as the kilometers passed, we could feel the tug of work, air travel, passports, bills, and obligations gently fade away into the night. For dessert, we were treated to the sight of 3 wild dogs as we drew near to the camp.

We endured, and arrived at Maruru Camp just after dark, with supper waiting. Ahh, blessed Maruru Camp. Comfortable thatch roofed chalets under the towering Natal mahogany trees on the banks of the nearly dry Manyemu River. It was as if we had left only last week, everything in the same place - meticulously cared for, awaiting our return. There were new faces, but enough of the original cast remained to complete the fantasy: smiling Goodfun, lord and master of the skinning shed; Muno, Camp Manager who makes things run with precision; even Simba - skinny as a rail and sporting his trademark almost-smile, whose cheery "Good Morning" and light knock at the door softly announced each day in paradise.

We exchanged pleasantries with PH Buzz Charlton and Giovanni, a hunter from Toronto, ate a sumptuous meal, nursed a nightcap by the cozy fire, and then said a sleepy goodnight to our hosts and new friends. Hyenas sang an African bush lullaby as we faded off in a fitful slumber.

The Buffalo Hunt

We slept soundly until the soft knock at the door awakened us at 5:00. Breakfast was hastily gobbled down, and we were searching the sandy roads for new messages by the time it was just light enough to see. It took us a bit longer to find fresh elephant tracks this day, but we finally located hot spoor at about 7:40 and began to follow. By 9:30 the swirling winds had foiled our approach for the morning (one of the few times we were unable to close with the herd), and we were back to the truck to resume our search for fresh sign.

As we drove, Alan mentioned that we weren’t far from where we had seen buffalo tracks cross the road two days previous, and that there was a nearby spring we should check for sign. We quickly made our way to the waterhole and the trackers surveyed the perimeter, returning with news that a herd had already had their drink that morning. As it was getting close to lunch time, Alan suggested we find a shade tree and have a bite to eat - then attempt to locate the herd as they took an afternoon siesta.

We had chicken, sandwiches, and cookies next to a termite mound under the sparse shade of a tree growing from its base. As delicious as the meal was, time slowed to a crawl as I anticipated the buffalo hunt. It reminded me of the last class of the day in Elementary School - watching each second tick away. We made our way through the meal, and then methodically packed up the chairs, table and leftovers - and climbed into the truck for the short ride back to the spring.

The drive took but a few minutes, and we began our preparations quickly after arriving. I loaded up the .404 with a single 400 grain TSX bullet over 3 solids. The trackers began their magic, and we spectators followed along. The spring had been a regular drinking spot for buffalo, and the new sign mingled with the old, complicating tracking somewhat. I had no idea how many animals were in the herd - at times is seemed like we were following a small band and at other times I could see dozens of meandering trails through the grass. The trackers kept the trail well, and we closed with the herd at about 3:30 after about 2 hours of steady walking. The sharp eyes of the trackers and Alan soon caught sight of the herd in a large grassy area next to a narrow creek - bedded down in the wide open thanks to the cool cloudy weather.

Alan checked the herd over through binoculars and said there were several good old bulls along with several nice young bulls. He checked the terrain and elected to backtrack out of sight, cross the creek, and make our approach from the rocky area above the floodplain. The topography hid our movements well, and the leaf litter was sparse enough that our approach was relatively quiet. Before long we were within 100 yards of the black shapes on a high point right at the edge of the thatch grass plain with a commanding view of the herd. We were well hidden in the camouflage and shade of the shrubs and trees, and were able to take our time assessing the trophy potential of each animal. Alan set up the sticks and I rested the rifle on them, pointed in the general direction of a couple of bulls while we waited. About 20 buffalo were plainly visible but the 10' tall grass obscured the majority of the resting herd. We could plainly see a mature bull with an open wound forward of his left hip from a recent lion encounter. Several other bulls were momentarily visible as they repositioned themselves or were uncovered by the movements of others. Through binoculars it was plain that there were many more animals lying partially hidden in the grass than I had first thought. Alan later hazarded a guess that there were probably about 100 in the herd.

The buffalo were in no hurry to end their mid-day rest, giving us ample time to look over the herd. Alan and I exchanged information about the relative merits of each bull - width and hardness of boss, length of horn, drop, age, and location. The animals were quite comfortable in their location and unaware of our presence as we watched and waited for the 3/4 of an hour. The wind held perfectly - blowing lightly and constantly quartering from the buffalo towards us. At one time a cow and 2 calves meandered from the herd to within 30 yards of our hiding place, and had they continued their path, it would have taken them into our scent cone. We held our breaths as we waited for the old gal to sound the alarm, but Lady Luck was with us and the cow veered off to make another lap around the grassy bowl.

The bull with the lion wound continued to try to find a more comfortable position, as his tail swished away the tick birds trying to glean insects from his sore. He stood broadside for the majority of our watch, inviting a bullet. He was a shootable bull, but was not in the same class as several others we had seen.

After a 45 minute wait, we began to see signs that the siesta was nearly over as several cows struggled to their feet. At almost the same time, two impressive bulls arose from the grass. Alan and I had a quick discussion regarding the merits of each and he told me to decide and make ready to shoot. I deferred to his judgment and experience - and he told me to take the bull on the left. I aimed in and centered the crosshairs on the bull's shoulder and waited for the cow between us to clear.

In my peripheral vision I noticed Alan plug his ears as I engaged the set trigger and begin the trigger squeeze. The .404 roared, sending the 400 grain copper hollow point on its way - and rocking me back on my heels. I knew the shot was good, and I watched in what felt like slow motion through the small window in the vegetation to see the bull waver and stagger away with the rest of the herd.

Alan and Maplan confirmed that it was a good hit, and the waiting began. We didn’t see him fall, and we hadn't heard a death bellow - so providing him time to die seemed the prudent thing to do. In times like this, I wished I smoked. At least Alan and Maplan had something to focus their attention on while the seconds ticked away, while all I could do was finger the cartridges on my belt and replay the shot over and over again in my mind. I replaced the spent shell in the magazine - and replaced the quick disconnect scope with a peep sight in case we had a meeting engagement at close range.

Alan is cautious - as professional hunters who have gone 10 rounds with buffalo tend to be. I was glad. Without a death bellow I wasn't eager to head into the long grass to take a look see. But finally he snuffed out his cigarette and gave me a "saddle up" look - and we began our descent into the grass.

The walking was easy along the shoulder-width mashed-down path through the grass. We covered the length of a football field without incident at an un-hurried pace, and breathed a collective sigh of relief when we broke out into ankle high vegetation where the herd had bedded.

We checked any place big enough to hide an angry buffalo as we tiptoed into the opening. Alan and Maplan began searching for spoor and located an area awash in blood in a crescent shaped spray from the bull's nostrils. We moved forward and, curiously, didn't find the next drops.

As we searched for the next clue, a sound drew my attention - something like a whistle yet not quite a whistle. Something like someone who wanted to call your attention to something, yet not draw attention from something. As I turned I saw: 1) the Game Scout hustling my wife out of the small clearing and pointing at something; followed by 2) a monstrous black bull reclining under a combretum shrub a mere 13 steps to our 8 o'clock!

Having a real gift for stating the obvious, I said (to no one in particular), "there's the bull." Having a gift for reacting to auditory stimulation, the bull responded, rocketing to his feet. Having an innate fear response towards big hairy angry things, I pointed the .404 muzzle roughly towards the center-of-front-half-of-buffalo and fired.

I was vaguely aware of the sound of gunfire coming from Alan's direction as I worked the bolt and fired again - luckily at the bull's lion-chewed butt instead of his substantial head. The bull headed into the grass. That 10 foot tall dense mat of grass... I could hear Capstick quietly whispering in my subconscious.

Thank God for the sharp eyes of trackers! Maplan visually dissected the scene in front of us and picked out a patch of black among the sea of green. He put the sticks up and Alan said "put a bullet in it." I asked what I was shooting at and Alan said "it doesn't matter - shoot it." Sage advice if I have ever heard it. I shot - and the bull stumbled forward and fell. We could no longer see the bull, and rather than charge into the grass to assess the situation, Alan led the hunting party uphill into the rocks to gain a better view from a safe vantage point. We could see the bull plainly from there, and I administered 2 additional 400 grain pills to end the excitement.

He was a beautiful bull - everything you would order if there were a catalogue. Dual horns in XL with the optional boss upgrade package. Genuine leather with custom lion etching. He was definitely an HD model on a 3/4 ton frame. The only factory defect we noted was the tail - missing a portion of its length due to a previous test drive by a lion.

The crew cut a recovery road in, and we loaded the bull by the pale light of the crescent moon - whole. Even with the 2 Game Scouts, 2 trackers, the driver, the PH, and a fat old client, it was challenging - but we finally got her done. The Toyota creaked and groaned at every steep incline and boulder field, but we finally pulled into the skinning shed by a little after 8:00. Goodfun, the skinner, flashed his trademark smile and began work immediately. By the time we had finished our braised kudu, squash, and chocolate mousse - the buffalo had been reduced to cape, skull, backskin (destined for the taxidermist) and nyama (the "guest of honor" at a celebration at the nearby Angwa village).

I slept well that night as visions of dugga boys kept the malarone dreams at bay.

The Tuskless Elephant

We found fresh tracks from a big herd of elephants between the Usanga Usanga Camp and the Main Road. Rather than take up the trail immediately, Alan elected to cruise down the Main Road for a bit to see if the herd had crossed and possibly quickly cut the distance at the outset of the pursuit. No such luck - so we returned to the tracks and took up the trail at about 7:20. Spoor was pretty obvious initially, then the herd broke into smaller groups and the sign became fainter. The trackers persisted and we closed to within a hundred yards or so - observing the herd from the vantage of the rocky escarpment above. The herd contained several cows, including a big tuskless. The wind was already dicey, and the puff of ash from Maplan's bottle seemed to swirl and dance in every direction. The elephants couldn't pinpoint our location, but knew we were close - and we noticed them curl their trunks to test the breeze, curtail their feeding, and begin to slip away. We were able to loop downwind of them and we closed to within 40 yards of a big tusked cow.

The intensity of the entire crew picked up a notch, as we homed in on our intended quarry. We had finally reached the point in the hunt where we were no longer practicing catch and release - without discussing it we had each reached the crossroads where we fully intended to seal the deal - and the big tuskless became the focus of our collective attention. The herd was in an area that was fairly open, and the grass underfoot provided quiet stalking. For a few brief moments, the wind calmed and we were able to quietly slip in close to the herd. A big tusked cow and her calf were close, and the tuskless was just beyond. If we could just continue to ease closer, this would all come together.

The closest cow half raised her trunk, and we could see she was uneasy. Focused on her, we rounded a line of shrubs, and Alan slammed to a halt. "Here it is" I thought - and watched the PH expecting him to motion me forward for the shot. But instead, he made a face and whispered "guineas!" Of all things - target sighted, final approach, wind cooperating, and quiet stalking - and we ran into a line of guinea fowl exactly perpendicular to our intended route!

We waited. Held our breaths and crossed our fingers. And they flushed.

The elephants moved out at flank speed, leaving great green wet piles of steaming dung in their wake as if to punctuate the moment. We fell in behind at a quick pace and continued to shadow the herd for another hour and a half before almost bumping into them. But the wind betrayed us again as we tried to bounce around and get ahead of them. They redoubled their speed, and we couldn't catch them. No joy.

Physically tired and mentally drained, we broke off our pursuit, took a quick break, and downed some much-needed water. Alan set a course to intersect the road where we hoped to find the truck waiting. It was, and as we resumed our motorized recon Alan suggested we look for a nice shade tree and have lunch. As we cruised down the road, we realized that the area we were in had no suitably large shade trees - and Alan finally pulled the cruiser to a stop in a spot where scrubby trees arched over the 2 track to create a sparse shady awning. With practiced efficiency, the field table, chairs, drinks and chop box were arranged and the frustrations of the morning hunt began to gradually disappear as we recharged our stomachs and spirits with good food and conversation.

We were about half done with lunch when we heard the single trumpet of an irritated elephant. Alan remarked that she sounded angry. We paid no heed to the temporary interruption - at first. But as lunch went on, the shrill insistent trumpet sounded again and again - loud, angry sounds coming from about a quarter mile away. The sounds continued unabated through our meal, and once our dessert wafers were finished we decided it might be prudent to pack up our kit and wander that direction to see what all the commotion was about. Darla said her blisters were aggravated by the morning hike, and elected to stay behind while we reconnoitered.

We didn't have tracks to follow, so Maplan and Alan set off in the direction of the last noise, with me and the rest of the band close behind. We wove our way through the jesse towards the occasional elephant sounds until we arrived at a bowl cleft from the surrounding shrubland, with a spring in the gently sloping bottom. From our vantage above the bowl, Maplan and Alan both broke into wide grins and Alan flashed a quick "thumbs up" gesture as he whispered "finally - two tuskless - both legal!" He urged me forward to the edge of the brink and reiterated that both were mature tuskless cows - and though one had a calf - it was easily old enough not to be dependent. Alan said "shoot the one closest - mind the calf now."

The old cow was facing left at a distance of about 30 yards, obviously expressing her frustration with her half-grown offspring who was intent on displacing her at the drinking hole bored into the sandy bank. I centered the red florescent dot in the ghost ring, aimed in between the eye and ear hole, and tugged the trigger.

The results were immediate. The old cow fell to her knees as if the rug had been pulled out from under her. As I worked the bolt I couldn't help but notice her tail gyrating round and round in rapid circles though the rest of the body stood still. "Shoot again," the PH said - and I launched another Woodleigh, holding slightly higher on the insurance shot to adjust for the downhill angle.

Alan was all smiles - after a series of frustrating fruitless hunts marked by uncharacteristic swirling winds, he seemed genuinely relieved that Lady Luck had finally smiled.

We began our descent into the bowl, and Alan had me put another "just in case" shot into the brain. By the time we got to her, all movement had stopped. It was only then that I realized what an unusual final resting place she was in. Rather than drink from the murky green pool of stagnant water, she had excavated a deep hole into the seeping sands and had been drawing water from the spring. She was fairly wedged into a crevasse she and others had dug to drink, and had simply sunk straight down to her knees at the shot. I was pleased at the pose - as to me photos of elephants reinforce my opinion that nothing looks a dead as a dead elephant. She actually looked like an elephant should!

Mrs. Acer arrived within a few minutes - summoned by the excited trackers who had quickly returned to the truck to collect her. She was a bit chagrined that she hadn't been there for the kill and kidded us good naturedly about waiting until she wasn't present to get serious about the hunt. All kidding aside, she was as pleased as I was about the events of the afternoon. Of all the miles we had walked (at least 70 over the previous 12 days as witnessed by my GPS), all the hills we climbed, the sandy river beds we had slogged, and rocky outcrops we negotiated - when the final act played out, Darla was 300 yards away resting her piggys! I hated that she wasn't there, but in the end I believe it was ordained that way. Witnessing the death of the Grand Dame would have been emotionally trying - and was not necessary for her to complete her experience. All-in-all, I believe it worked out just as it should have.

We began to take the requisite photos, and decided that a fallen mopane tree over her head required removal of a substantial limb. Much to the trackers' and Game Scouts' delight, the hive of a species of stingerless bees was found in the log. BONUS!!! The crew's attention was immediately refocused on harvesting the bittersweet dark amber liquid, and after about 15 minutes of steady axe work, Bernie began dipping the sweet sticky honey out by the handfuls into an empty plastic lunch container. An elephant AND honey - broad grins were present everywhere as handfuls of honeycomb disappeared behind them.

We took pictures and more pictures - a fitting tribute to such a magnificent creature. We explored the skin, hair, toenails, trunk, eyelashes and overall conformation of the great beast. Alan pointed out the soles of her feet - heels slick from years and miles of traveling the Zambezi Valley. Darla and I were amazed and awed by the size and feel of this most ancient of species.

She was old - one of the older cows in the area dating from before the beginning of tuskless hunting according to the PH. Later during collection of ovaries and uterus for scientific study, we discovered that though she showed the characteristic signs of pregnancy, no embryo could be found.

Epilogue

Before our trip, I had a discussion with friend and taxidermist Jerry Huffaker. We talked about elephant hunting and killing an elephant. I told him that I wanted to experience hunting elephants - but I didn't have an overwhelming desire to kill an elephant. And I knew that to truly experience hunting an elephant, the kill was an integral part of the experience. He assured me he understood. That was a revelation to me - as I had thought the feelings were mine alone. As I stood beside the still gray beast, I wondered if the experience had led me to a better understanding - some kind of reconciliation - or rejection - of these conflicting thoughts.

No. I'm afraid the same incongruous thoughts still occupy my mind. Am I proud to have taken this largest of land animals? You bet. Will I embark on another quest for elephants? I don't know. I had hoped that the experience would somehow solidify my conviction - one way or another. But the same contradiction exists for me. Sometimes I wish things were more black and white.

We spent 12 days looking for a tuskless elephant. Not because we hadn’t found any – to the contrary, of the over 100 elephants we had encountered, 9 were tuskless. And not because we hadn’t had any opportunities to bag our quarry – we deliberately turned down 2 or 3 opportunities early in the hunt because I wanted to continue the experience of elephant hunting. I enjoyed slipping in close to the 3 ton behemoths and watching them. One protective mama almost made our decision for us – as she made a mock charge that ended within about 15 yards. Her calf was borderline though – almost old enough to be independent, but close enough we didn’t want to risk orphaning a dependent calf.

We enjoyed watching the trackers work their magic through a variety of habitat types – from the sandy river bottoms to the tops of rocky hills – and were amazed at their ability to see and interpret what we could not.

We enjoyed the non-hunting side of the trip – seeing and hearing the birds and beasts, the colorful orange, pink, and blue flowers, and the water carved beauty of the sandstone rocks bordering the rivers and creeks. We enjoying the vistas and unspoiled natural beauty of Zimbabwe.

We enjoyed every minute of our time with PH Alan Shearing. He took the time to show us a different side of Africa - treating us to a taste of mopane bee honey (who knew the annoying little sweat bees could make honey?), grilling delicious skewers of elephant kebabs over hot coals in the field, and truly, genuinely celebrating our success with us. He is the consummate professional. I joked with him that I hoped his run-in with the buffalo had slowed him down enough that I could keep up – but that was wishful thinking. He is very fit, very knowledgeable, and a pleasure to share the field with. My thanks to him - and to all the staff at Charlton McCallum - for making our trip pleasant and successful.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great report, superb pictures and excellent trophies! Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Fantastic hunt and very entertaining report, I savored every word. Tuskless and buffalo, the Zambezi Special!

I agree, Alan and his team are among the best out there, and I cannot think of a more easy going and likable guy to spend a few weeks with.

Congrats on a great hunt in a very special place!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
David,

Great report and fantastic photos.

My Dad and I enjoyed visiting with you and Darla at lunch the couple days we saw you in the main camp.

Glad your hunt went well, congrats!

Chris

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed reading your very well written report,I will be hunting Tuskless late season this year,thank you for posting.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies and pics. Well written report. Thanks

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt report. Very nice trophies and some memories that won't fade with time.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
Great report, well done to you and to Alan and his team!
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 354 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great well written report, thanks for sharing.
Alan and CM are an outstanding outfit.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of R8 PRO
posted Hide Post
great report, looks like you had an amazing time, thanks for sharing

Relax and light a Cuban.

Posts: 177 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and great pictures. Made me want to be back in Mururu. My friend and I were the clients before you and also had a fabulous time. Your conflict regarding elephant hunting is well expressed and finds an echo in me. Glad your trip was so successful.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats. That is an amazing photo of the elephant foot. I have seen worn and smooth foot pads before, that looks like a racing slick. That is an incredible foot. Too bad it was a tuskless, I would have been trying to figure out a way to preserve, mount and display that foot pad. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Mike

Posts: 21210 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done. It is my hope to one day hunt with Charlton/McCallum, and then be able to write a report of the caliber often posted. My congratulations to a well planned fantastic hunt and report.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Proper tuskless. Love those smooth feet.

Don't know that I'll shoot a tuskless, but if I did, she would be the perfect one IMHO.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff!!! Thanks for posting.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great animals, great hunt & great memories !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind comments. As much as I enjoy living vicariously through other's reports, I feel obligated to try to contribute when I can.

Chris, enjoyed meeting you and your Dad and hearing of your success. You probably had an easier transition to Montana temperatures when you returned - dang, it's hot in Texas!

Edod, heard all about your exploits chasing guineas - wish you had killed a few more in some key places! Loved your photos of the Maruru camp!

David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report!! Thanks for sharing! Getting to hunt with Alan Shearing is one of my fondest memories of hunting Africa!! He is an outstanding person.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,

I found your hunt report and photos most fascinating indeed.

Everything about your writing style just flowed as I found myself in the midst of your exciting safari.

And your thoughts about wanting to experience an elephant hunt without actually having to kill one really hit me too.

As someday I wish to experience a tuskless cow hunt myself...you have given me much to ponder before I make it to the bush again.

Thank you for such a heart-felt report and putting in the time to do it from the depths of your heart, I am genuinely touched by your engaging account...CONGRATULATIONS! beer

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Acer,

Good stuff all around. Big Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report, great pictures and great trophies. Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Great report and pics. You have a way with words.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
David,

Great report and congrats on another wonderful trip. I just wish I had been in the other half of the concession like last time Wink...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and congrats on an outstanding hunt. Like you, I'm somewhat ambivalent about personally hunting elephant. I greatly appreciate you sharing your feelings and the more often I see others feeling like this, the more inclined I am to consider booking a hunt for a tuskless elephant myself. Both the ele and the buffalo are trophies you will no doubt cherish for life!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acer,
Wonderfully written report - loved reading it! The staff of CM Safaris is the best.
Your buff and tuskless are outstanding trophies - congratulations!
When my partner and I were there in early June, we did have fun running down those guinea fowl! I still laugh when I think about it!
Alan does a great job making the hunt an 'experience' - I know he did for me there.
Thanks again for taking the time to write your story.
Brittman

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and a great story. You do have a way with words!

Thanks.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great hunt and a superbly written report. Thanks for sharing and well done.

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Done, thanks for sharing your memories with us....Good for you for not shooting the first Tuskless you saw to further your Ele experience.

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acer.

Your hunting report, with its understated humor, great writing entertaining abilities, your contemplations in regard to actually shooting the/your/a elephant, makes it a very fine report to read. I enjoyed it so much. Complimented by your fine pictures.

Many congratulations.

Alan, with whom I've hunted twice and will again this October, he has a number of "looks"!Saddle up, that is a new one for me. But I know the "get in line now" and "lift your feet" well. He has been practicing these looks for a number of years as I understand.

What a fine time you had with your wife.

Kind regards
Jytte

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave and Darla- so good to have you back in Mururu with the "team". Out of interest Goodfun the skinner has been skinning there for over 30 years out of the same camp! I doubt that there is a better or more experienced skinner operating in Zim! Certainly not one that has as big a smile anyway!

Well done on an awesome hunt- your buff is as good as they get and you approached your tuskless hunt the proper way. If you had taken the first tuskless that gave you an opportunity your hunt would have been over in the first 4 days- imagine how much you would have lost out on in the proceeding days!!

Beautifully written report to top it all off- see you both at the shows! All the best Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well done great hunt great report

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It amazes me how Alan and the CMS crew can get the pictures of the trophies to look so good. I know they positioned my trophies to look pretty impressive and yours are over the top. Congratulations!!! I think you did very well!!

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I didn't know Alan was such a perfectionist when it comes to photos, but we learned the hard way. He decided the elephant needed to be moved back just a bit and wouldn't have it any other way. So what do you do???

Ok - not really...

As an aside, when we grabbed and pulled, it (shall we say) loosened things up a bit and a greenish brown hay bale fell out. The guys were practically rolling on the ground rotflmo

Guys, thanks for all the kind comments.

Buzz, thanks for your hospitality and for arranging our flight out at the end of our hunt. My butt is grateful (literally)!

Tim, I think seeing your efforts at bagging a tuskless in 2010 pushed me over the top. You're to blame for this!

Mej, I came to understand that Alan is quite a conversationalist without ever uttering a sound. The "what the..." look that accompanied my crunching termite tubes while we were 30 yards from a herd was a classic (who knew even bare ground makes noise in Zimbabwe???). The "all-but-rolling-the-eyes" look that followed the 7 people crunching to a stop manuver is etched on my psyche also. I was literally laughing when I read your comment, with visions of Alan's "non-verbal communications" skills. Smiler

Good hunting to all.

David

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Great report . Thanks for all the pics tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Yes, excellent, well done David. First rate report, operation, PH and team. Congratulations to you all.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt report. Love that Maruru camp as well. CMS is the best!

I agree with you on the reflections of hunting elephant. One is always struck with the enormity of the event. However we must remember that the herd numbers really are out of balance and the small off take from hunting is in line with good management practices as well as our presence in the safari areas, as well as the funds we provide by hunting these wild lands, all lead to the betterment of the overall herd.

Congrats on a great safari and thanks for posting the report.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh, there's the rub, Todd.

As a wildlife biologist for more than 3 decades, you're preaching to the choir. I have found myself using hunting to manage wildlife populations my whole life - to the point where my Dad referred to me as "The Doe Shooter." I know logically that the herd must be managed, and that hunting is the most efficient way to do it, and I embrace that. I also truly enjoy the hunt, no matter the quarry. The Hunter's Horn sounded early for me (much to the dismay of my non-hunting parents) - and I find enjoyment in everything from knocking a bushytail out of a tall oak, to stalking wild pigs in heavy shin oak, to following the tracks of the "great, gray battleships" in Zimbabwe. And hunting in Africa is the ultimate experience.

I think my hesitance centers on just the thing you mentioned - the enormity of the event.

In the first place, elephants are just so big. The unmitigated AUDACITY required for me to be able to lay one low with no more effort than to tug on a trigger is a mental stumbling block. That part of the equation was completely erased when we had a mock charge from a tuskless cow. Had she pressed home her assault, and I had killed her in resolution of direct conflict - all those feelings go out the window...

I suppose another part of the calculus is that for most game, their lifespan is measured in months, years, or a decade or so at most. I know it sounds arrogant to some, but if I cut short their lifespan, it is small relative to my own. With elephants, it is not necessarily so. It is a feeling somewhat akin to not showing respect to my elders - again, audacity.

It is an emotional response - not something that I arrive at at the end of the balance sheet.

I mentioned my thoughts in the original post not to say I am uncomfortable with my role as a hunter of elephants (and certainly not to cast aspersions on anyone else who is not conflicted) - but to perhaps express a bit of discomfort with the relative ease (aside from miles of walking in challenging terrain) with which we naked apes can dominate this largest of land mammals.

And in my mind, it should not be undertaken without a bit of introspection.

Thank you for your comments. I do sincerely enjoy the input from all who have replied.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and photos of a first class hunt. Thank you.
I know exactly what you mean about the conflicting emotions you experienced and shared. Hunting an elephant is way beyond mere sport.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote