Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter: Chifuti Safaris

Dates: May 25 - June 11, 2012

Area: Chewore North

Hunt: 18 - Day Lion/Tuskless

PH: Ian Gibson

Weapons/Ammo: .375 RUM with Trijicon 2.5 - 10 x 56mm & 275 gr CEB Non-Cons / .600NE Verney-Carron Double, with 900 gr CEB non-cons & solids

Dave Fulson and I, one of the co-owners of Safari Classics Productions have become good friends over the past 2 yrs - and he told me in February of a Lion hunt that was still available for the 2012 season. I knew full well this would not be a hunt/business opportunity as I normally try to do. Safari Classics handles most of the bookings for Chifuti, so this was simply gonna be a Lion hunt for me, in an area of Zimbabwe that I had wanted to hunt for along time. I already had a brown bear hunt scheduled for May 10th, and I had another Lion hunt scheduled with SSG Safaris in the south of Zimbabwe in mid June - but fortunately Chifuti had dates right in the middle that were available, so we scheduled the hunt, and made the final plans.

Although I had never been real excited about a tuskless elephant in the past, I was very interested in shooting something big with my new .600NE double. But knowing we were definitely gonna need alot of bait made the decision a bit easier, and the tuskless was added to the hunt. I also had a hippo on quota, and of course multiple other species were available as well. Without question though, Lion was the main target. This was to be my 15th Lion hunt, and over the past few years my opinion of a suitable trophy has certainly changed a bit. Having already shot several huge maned/MGM type lions, that was no longer my goal. Now, I am most interested in hunting lion in as many places as I can, and looking for an older/mature cat, one that I feel is worthy of taking. I knew the Zambezi Valley was not generally noted for huge maned lions, but I was intent on finding an old/mature cat - and enjoying what I love to do most, HUNT LION!!!!

We arrived via charter plane on May 24th (myself and my cameraman - Renz Palermo) landing just adjacent to the banks of the Zambezi River, at Chifuti's - Mwanja Camp. Camp was most certainly comfortable, and run by a very nice lady that I called Miss Lindsey. She ran a tight ship, camp was very organized - and anything you wanted was just a request away. Ian and I got to know eachother a bit, as we sat around the fire. All while we discussed my criteria to only shoot a mature lion, one that we both felt was 6 yrs old, or older. Everything seemed on track, so it was off to bed - looking forward to an early start, and another lion hunting adventure.

Photos of Mwanja Camp

Zambezi River at sunset

Day 1: As we were headed to the first bait, one which Ian had put up a couple of days prior to my arrival. He asked me if I was interested in a Lioness too? I said sure, why not! Apparently they still had one on quota, and I never pass up a chance to hunt a big cat. We stopped 1/2 mile from the first bait, walked into the blind, and sure enough - there were 3 lioness and 1 young male (2-3 yrs old). I was a bit surprised to see them still there, as it was nearly 8am, but none the less - there they were. They were obviously on there way out, so before we got situated - they were gone. Not to worry, they'll be back this afternoon - and so would we.

Our other baits were yet to be touched, so we did in fact decide to go back to the first bait and try for a lioness. We arrived at the blind at about 5pm, and lying just at the base of the tree was a lone female. As the blind had only one viewing/shooting/filming hole, my cameraman and I stood silently while Ian looked at the cat. Finally he gave the go ahead, and I moved into the hole - with my cameraman over my right shoulder. When I saw the lioness, she was lying down, facing almost directly away - but looking over her left shoulder. I think Ian was waiting for the cat to move into a better shooting position, but she seemed pretty content. We were roughly 75 yards away, and probably 50 feet above the bait. Frankly, it was not a difficult shot - even though it probably looks like it on film. I shot her through the top of the shoulder, and she never moved.

Lioness - Day 1

Day 2: Started off as most cat hunts do, checking a couple of baits - and looking for more. So far we only had a few baits up, no other lion activity yet - and it was time for a Zebra. Well, that's just because as we were checking a bait, we looked down the dry river bed, and there stood 5 Zebra. They were only 400 yards from us, so we crept along the riverine - got within 200 yards and secured some more bait. I was already making another fan (Ian) of the Cutting Edge Bullets as the zebra dropped in his tracks. He had yet to hear of these new bullets, but he was paying attention now.

We had lunch at camp, napped for awhile and decided to head out to the Chewore River, looking for additional lion sign. It was roughly 4:30pm as we rounded a corner on the river road, and roughly 1,000 yards down river was a group of 8 elephants. We stopped, glassed em, and sure enough - in the group was a tuskless without a dependent calf. Frankly, I got pretty excited when Ian said - lets go! I loaded up the .600NE, did a little intro with the cameraman, and we were off. It couldn't have been better as the elephants were in the wide open, just digging for water in the sandy river bed. Ten minutes later and we were within 50 yards. As we slowing moved forward, the cow we wanted actually moved towards us just a bit - a perfect scenario. Just as we reached the 20 yard mark, the cow raised her head - and Ian said "shoot her"!

Wouldn't you think that missing the brain with a .600NE and a 900 gr solid - would at least stumble a cow elephant? Well, not this time my friends!! She immediately whirled to the right and ran parallel to us, making for a perfect heart shot. My 2nd shot did hit her perfectly, but we of course were not totally sure of that. I quickly reloaded and by now she was running at roughly 50 - 60 yards, quartering away from me. This time however, I shot her through the right rear hip, instantly dropping her back end down - and then she rolled over onto her right side, finished. Exciting as it was, it was just further proof to me that bigger is NOT always better - its just bigger!!

Ian's vehicle parked just in front of the downed elephant

Day 3: Checking baits once more, and we found one of Ian's baits had been hit by lions. It was a bit difficult to tell exactly what had fed, but we knew there were at least two males that had been there. We decided they were worth a closer look (no trail cam here yet) so heading into the blind that evening was the plan. One thing I really liked about the lions in the area so far was, everytime you walk into the blind - the lions are already there. That sure beats the heck out of sitting for hrs, waiting for a cat that sometimes never shows. However, it only took us a few minutes to look em over, and decide neither one was mature. It was however, another great lion encounter - for a guy that loves watching/observing lions, even if you can't shoot em! So we hung out for awhile, then quitely left them to their spoils!

These two pics are of the exact same lions, but a few days later and a couple of miles away. They made the rounds!

Day 4: Ian has a particular dislike for hyenas, and so he put together a little plan - for the the 4th morning. By now the elephant cow carcass was a familiar site to the local dog population, so just a few minutes after day break we were sneaking around the corner, and hoping to see a hyena or two. Sure enough, one straggler had himself buried 3/4 of the way into the elephant carcass - without a clue we were anywhere around. Sticks up, safety off, cameraman zoomed in and waiting for him to pull himself out into the open. As he did, boom!!! Down goes Frazier!!! Another ugly mug removed from Africa's beauty.

Day 5: Finally it was time to get a little more serious about the hunt for Lion! Early that morning as we were checking a bait that we had up, not far from the elephant carcass - we saw him! He was roughly 1/2 mile away and approaching the elephant carcass. We made a quick bee-line down the road on foot, but he too was not impressed with the food source, and decided to walk down the road too. Problem was, he was walking directly at us, and we didn't know it. All of the sudden, there he was - and there he goes. We literally saw him for 5 seconds, and then he instantly bailed into the thick riverine - gone! No problem, we've got a bait witinh 500 yards of where we just saw him - surely he'll find it tonight? My look was short, but I knew instantly this was a good lion!!!

Day 6: Ian decided we should walk into the bait in question, early that morning. As we approached the blind, the light was just enough to see - but the lion was not there. As we waited for a few minutes, the baboons up river about 500 yards started screaming loudly - a sure sign the lion was moving along the road and away from the bait. Sure enough, he had fed - and walked down the road, went to a little waterhole in the riverbed, and finally crossed the river into the Sapi Safari Area. The second we heard the baboons, I instantly told Ian and the cameraman that this is gonna be a problem. This lion is clever, he's seen this gig before and getting him is gonna be tough! I don't think my PH felt quite the same, but there was NO question in my mind, this lion is smart!!!

Our bait site was a bit in the open, so Ian knew of another site further up river that would provide more cover for the lion - and hopefully convince him to stick around awhile longer. So we gathered some more of the tuskless back at camp, and headed out in the afternoon for the new bait site. Ian was right, it looked great - and I actually had alot of confidence in this new location.

Day 7: We intentionally got to the bait a few hrs after sun-up, but with trail cam in place - we hoped to have a good look at our intended quarry. The photos comfirmed for me, what I was certain I already knew - he was a real brute of a lion. IMO, a shooter - and an old/mature lion that I would be very happy with.

Day 8: Up early, and off for another morning walk-in, as we hoped our big boy would be at the bait. I must be honest, this morning is a little tough for me to discuss. Although I have shot plenty of lions, and getting one is NO LONGER my sole intention. I obviously want to get one, and this one I especially wanted. As we approached the bait, we were roughly 300 yards from the blind. We dropped off of the river road, into the sandy riverbed. Shoes off, and moving quietly - my hopes were high. About then, Ian and I both noticed something in the middle of the riverbed, a couple hundred yards away - damn!!!! The lion wasn't at the bait, he was lying in the cool sand - waiting to be warmed by the early morning sun.

We instantly jumped out of the riverbed, and about that time - my guide started this hand signal thing that took me and the cameraman by surprise? I wasn't sure if we were stealing second, taking the pitch, bunting, or all of the above? Then, off we went! We had no shooting sticks, so I was a bit concerned about the shot. I certainly don't want to off-hand a lion if it can be avoided - but that was beyond avoidance at this point. As we got within 70 yards of the lion, we darted down the bank, kind-of jumped out into the open, and quickly dropped to the ground? Again, I wasn't real sure what we were up to, but I was 2nd in line? About that time, the lion jumped to his feet - ran to the other side of the river (I was not gonna shoot at him running) and jumped onto the bank. He instantly turned around and stood there looking at us, only 100 yards away - but now in the Sapi Safari area, and out-of-bounds. He stood there for 5 full minutes, posing for the camera and just asking to get shot. Unfortunately we had to hold our fire, and we did.

He finally moved off, and I immediately had a sinking feeling! I had seen this many times before, in fact, more than I care to count. With a lion like this, you'll get ONE CHANCE - and that's it. After that, it will be nothing more than an exercise in futility, as he continues to irritate, confuse and humiliate you at every turn. He'll eat your bait, he'll tease you with pics on your trail cam, but never again will you get a real chance to shoot him, never!!!! My friends, that was exactly what happened for the remainder of the hunt.

Days 9 - 18: The remaining 10 days was exactly as I described above, complete frustration! We actually saw him 4-5 more times, but never on the bait, and never for more than 2-3 seconds at a time. Never once did he present another shot, and frankly I think he was enjoying every minute of it. Honestly, I was not surprised for one second. I knew from the get-go he was a very clever/educated cat, and he proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt!

The big boy - raiding our bait in the dark, as usual!!!

Along the way, I did manage to get one of the little guys. One that I had yet to get in the past, a Grysbok! It happened so fast that getting him on film was impossible, but he's a nice trophy just the same.

Day 18 came and went, and it was time to conceed our loss to the Sapi Lion. Frankly, it was a bit dissapointing - but another wonderful education from Africa's greatest quarry. Sometimes you get em, and sometimes you don't!

CUTTING EDGE BULLETS
I just wanted to take a minute to mention my continued experience with the CEB's. I am NOT any sort of bullet/gun/balistics expert, but I have shot roughly 40 DG animals - and easily over 200 animals throughout Africa. Fact is, I have never seen a bullet that performs like the CEB's, never! I've never seen a bullet that can penetrate like the CEB's, nothing I have ever seen/used has ever come close!

Below is a picture of a loaded .600NE, the bullet is the only bullet we retreived from the tuskless - the other two exited. My 3rd shot on the tuskless was in the right-rear hip, at roughly 50 - 60 yards. The bullet broke the right hip, penetrated all the way to the opposite left shoulder, through the left shoulder, and was protruding just inside the skin on the opposite side - left shoulder. Ian was amazed, and so was I. The bullet easily penetrated 7 feet of elephant, through heavy bone, etc. It was truly amazing, and further proof for me that I am using the best bullet made. Of course, that's just my opinion - but I do believe it to be sound.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Great report, Aaron.

I am already looking forward to your next DVD.

PM inbound about the CEBs.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Aaron, thanks for the report.

Hyena is one animal I want to take....Congratulations
It seems as if that old vally Lion has played that game before!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Aaron ...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Good report Aaron. The CEBs continue to shine! I'll be taking delivery of your old VC 577NE shortly and she'll continue to shoot the BBW#13 and Non-Cons this October. Sorry about the Shumba but it sounds as if he was a worthy adversary!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Great report love the distinct spots on the Hyena. Well done

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7590 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Good report Aaron. The CEBs continue to shine! I'll be taking delivery of your old VC 577NE shortly and she'll continue to shoot the BBW#13 and Non-Cons this October.

Its a great gun, and it definitely likes the CEB's! Let me know what you think?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Will do Aaron. How does the recoil compare between the 577 and your new 600?

Nice looking "smelly dog" as well. I'm hoping to connect with one in Oct. to finish my Leopard mount.

I see you're using Trijicon. Good stuff wouldn't you say? I've got 3 of them now and really find it hard to justify buying anything else anymore. Not the prettiest scope with the external fiber optic, but from a performance standpoint, they're awesome with not using batteries. IMO of course!

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
congrats on the hunt Aaron and very nice grysbok.

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does the recoil compare between the 577 and your new 600?

Interested in this too. BTW, great report.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd - The recoil is stout, but not a huge difference from the .577

Yes, I think the Trijicon scopes are extremely good! I will definitely continue to use them.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loved the story Aaron, and your 600 looks great as well.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report . That big boy will be waiting for you next year

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice Aaron. Are you planning on using that bullet again?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12518 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Very nice Aaron. Are you planning on using that bullet again?

Frank, I'll send it back to the guys at CEB - and see if they want to reload it. Seems ok to me, but I'm just not sure?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 600 gets to sing!!!

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt in a great area... I really enjoyed hunting Chewore North and it was stiff with lion when I was there. Sorry you didn't connect on your cat but a nice lioness and a tuskless are pretty good consolation prizes. Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron
Sounds like you had a great safari.
Chifuti Safaris and Ian Gibson certainly have a good longstanding reputation in the valley.
Ian is known as one of the top cat men in Zim and I look forward to hunting with him at some stage. Did you manage to learn anything from him?
Pity that you didn't get the opportunity to hunt that tuskless in the real thick stuff. Up close and personal with a double is definitely the way to go with those aggressive ladies.I hear you about" big is not always best" with regard to your 600, I think that sometimes slightly more subtle accuracy is best.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Aaron

Congratulations on yet another Great Adventure! Excellent Report!

Job well Done!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
I hear you about" big is not always best" with regard to your 600, I think that sometimes slightly more subtle accuracy is best.

RJ - No doubt, accuracy is better, and bigger is just bigger! I personally cannot shoot a double rifle with the accuracy of a scoped rifle. But, in thick/close cover - there's no doubt that I would prefer a double rifle, over one with a scope.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Congradulations on your hunt Aaron; great hunt report.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Great report. I really did not realize that the pictured lion was that good when you first posted the pix and I did not understand you personal goals. I would be very pleased with a lion like that one that frustrated you. Sounds like most of my lion hunts.

Did the bullet hit the lioness's elbow on the exit?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12853 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I do have a question. I don't see a Lion or Bull elephant in my future or anytime soon. Will a 375 work for everthing else. I am very comfortable with it and just don't own anything bigger at this point. Just a curiousity question more than anything.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
I do have a question. I don't see a Lion or Bull elephant in my future or anytime soon. Will a 375 work for everthing else. I am very comfortable with it and just don't own anything bigger at this point. Just a curiousity question more than anything.

Absolutely!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7590 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Aaron! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Aaron

Great report! I have just returned from Chewore North where we, like three other parties that were hunting ,came away with a very impressive bag indeed.

Anywhere in the Valley where you end essentially a 10 day hunt ( as Jeff hurt his ankle on day 10 and we were pretty much done) with a hog of a leopard, 54 " kudu , big hippo bull, impala , zebra, baboons,bushbuck, Buff ( unfortunately wounded and lost) quite a few tigers and some sangrouse to boot has got to be considered a great hunt. It is a super area and if you know it as well as Ian you are almost guaranteed a successful hunt!

On another note which I find very interesting and which backs me up on previous shall we say "debates" regards lions and there numbers in certain areas is that your one eyed lion that you where trying to kill travels from Dande North to the south to Chewore South to the North and according to your hunt also into Sapi. Thats what we KNOW for sure. I have a daily light picture of that lion ( ear marked for Mike jines!) near our Mururu camp. Shayne in Chewore South has a pic of him there also- so LIONS DO MOVE HUGE DISTANCES! Good to get to know their movements a little better. Also another interesting thing was when Norman Monks was doing his lion research in Mana he tagged a young lion that ended up swimming the Zambezi and making the amazing trip to end up in the Kafue National Park!

Anyway well done Aaron -looking forward to part 2! Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Aaron thanks for putting together a great report, love all the photo's.
Looks to be a large bodied Lioness, is their anyway of guessing what age she might be?
Found Buzz's comment on the distance travelled by Lions very interesting, would love to catch up with the one eyed Lion in Dande North next year.
Looking forward to Part Two......

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Did the bullet hit the lioness's elbow on the exit? Mark

No, it must just be a little bit of blood. The bullet exited on the opposite side. Fact is, is you see the size of the hole, that's the entrance hole (left Shoulder). I shot her twice, the 2nd bullet entered the same place - making the entry hole just a bit bigger.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Hi Aaron

Great report! I have just returned from Chewore North where we, like three other parties that were hunting ,came away with a very impressive bag indeed.

Anywhere in the Valley where you end essentially a 10 day hunt ( as Jeff hurt his ankle on day 10 and we were pretty much done) with a hog of a leopard, 54 " kudu , big hippo bull, impala , zebra, baboons,bushbuck, Buff ( unfortunately wounded and lost) quite a few tigers and some sangrouse to boot has got to be considered a great hunt. It is a super area and if you know it as well as Ian you are almost guaranteed a successful hunt!

On another note which I find very interesting and which backs me up on previous shall we say "debates" regards lions and there numbers in certain areas is that your one eyed lion that you where trying to kill travels from Dande North to the south to Chewore South to the North and according to your hunt also into Sapi. Thats what we KNOW for sure. I have a daily light picture of that lion ( ear marked for Mike jines!) near our Mururu camp. Shayne in Chewore South has a pic of him there also- so LIONS DO MOVE HUGE DISTANCES! Good to get to know their movements a little better. Also another interesting thing was when Norman Monks was doing his lion research in Mana he tagged a young lion that ended up swimming the Zambezi and making the amazing trip to end up in the Kafue National Park!

Anyway well done Aaron -looking forward to part 2! Cheers Buzz

Buzz, I certainly don't doubt what you say. If its the same lion, he really covers alot of territory - that's for sure.

If you and Mike can get him, he's really an awesome cat! We have some good footage of him too, when he stood on the Sapi side. He's an outstanding trophy, I sincerely wish you guys luck.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron

It is the same cat and further more I have to tell you while the pics that I have with him was when he was on the side of another male and a lioness. When we took the pics there were more lions calling about 100 meters off but been early season and not on a lion hunt we did not go and investigate BUT looks like he is infact part of a pride and supports what I tried to say earlier on that one may think you are shooting a good old lone male BUT YOU CERTAINLY CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT as males leave the prides do their tours on to return when they are satisfied that alls well within the home range! Anyway I heard today that he was shot yesterday so thats that!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz - You are definitely right about that, there's no way to ever be certain about a lion's pride status. But, I also believe shooting a pride male is perfectly fine, providing the pride is without dependent cubs. But again, there's no way to ever be 100% certain of anything!

Man, if someone got him - I would love to see some pics?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
BUT looks like he is infact part of a pride and supports what I tried to say earlier on that one may think you are shooting a good old lone male BUT YOU CERTAINLY CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT as males leave the prides do their tours on to return when they are satisfied that alls well within the home range! Anyway I heard today that he was shot yesterday so thats that!

shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz: I just talked to the guys - NO its not the one-eyed lion that has been killed, just FYI.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Nice going Aaron tu2 tu2 tu2

Wish I were there beside you.

577NE ... 600NE - they'll do ...

CEB #13 - the best! Sam, Michael and Dan done good!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
tu2 Exciting hunt, pity you guys lucked out on the one-eyed warrior, well done Aaron.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt report. Nice animals and more memories.
I too will be using the CEB's when I go next year in my .470 and will have some for either the .375 or the .416 I take as my light rifle. Everything I have heard and seen is impressive.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Great hunt report. Nice animals and more memories.
I too will be using the CEB's when I go next year in my .470 and will have some for either the .375 or the .416 I take as my light rifle. Everything I have heard and seen is impressive.

I think the CEB's are great! Good luck.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Pir_Danish
posted Hide Post
Excellant report Aaron, I agree about the CEB bullets, they work great.

Posts: 789 | Location: Karachi & London | Registered: 26 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Great adventure Aaron, that's some bazooka your shooting now. Looking for your next report with SSG. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote