ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Hunting in the Save with Roger Whittall SAfaris

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in the Save with Roger Whittall SAfaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter: Roger Whittall Safaris
Area hunted: Humani Ranch August 21-30
PH : Butch Coaton this is or second hunt with Butch Coaton and I can’t say enough, from his professionalism, to making my wife a non hunter an essential part of the group to being one of the funnier people I know.
Guns and Ammo: Gibbs 450 NE CEB 480gr Solid 450gr Raptor. Win Mod 70 400H&H CEB 400gr Solid 370gr Raptor.
Animls hunted: Cape Buff, Eland, Wildebeest
Animals seen: 23 different mammals and 67 different of birds.

With the help of Steve Turner's Travel with guns my wife and I left on the 17th of August and traveled on Emirate Airlines from Boston to Harare. Because of a schedule change by Emirates we elected to stay two nights and a day in Dubai before traveling to Harare via Lusaka. Our travels and experience with Emirates was about as painless as one would want when traveling with guns and ammo. We flew on a B777 all legs, the main cabin seating is 3-4-3 except for the last 3 rows which are 2-4-2, we sat in the two seats in the back plenty of room and no one climbing over you.

Buffalo
This is my second Buffalo hunt with Butch and like my first he makes my job easy putting me in the right place for a clear shot. This particular hunt is what we all want when we travel to Africa for Buffalo. A couple of hours of following tracks, a little drama along the way and a successful ending. When we left the cruiser I had a 450gr Raptor in my right Barrel and a 480gr Solid in my left. After an hour or so of tracking in various terrain losing and regaining the tracks the trackers started to slow. One of the trackers stopped to listen and instead of Buffalo we encountered a large bodied Bull Elephant feeding along followed by a Cow Calf herd. When we encountered the Cow Calf herd I noticed Butch rolling a round from his magazine into his rifle's chamber, taking his cue I traded the Raptor in my right barrel for a second solid as we were backing away. It was when we were creating some distance from the Cow herd that the trackers spotted our Buffalo nearby behind some bushes, we turned our attention to them leaving my wife to keep a weather eye on the vanishing Eles. With our attention now drawn to the Buff I once again opened my Double and swapped the Solid in the right barrel for a Raptor leaving me with a “Soft and Solid” combination. The group of four Buffalo we were looking at split and the shooter Butch was glassing grazed up and over a small knoll showing a bit of a limp in his back left foot. We followed and closed the distance until we had only a small tree between us and 40 yards to the Bull. Using the tree for a brace I sent the Raptor from the right barrel his way, he bucked and as he started running across the clearing I swung through him and pressed the trigger hitting him again with the Solid from the left barrel, I dumped the empties (my Double is an extractor gun) and loaded two solids. The Bull only went about 50 yards and stopped under a tree. we walked up from behind and when we got within 20 yards Butch asked me what I had in my double I said two Solids, at my answer he smiled and said be ready then growled “Hey Bull” trying to get the Bull to turn but no luck. We backed off and circled forward approaching from a better shooting angle when the Bull decided to lay down and call it quits I dumped one more into him to finish the hunt.

Eland
We had seen him the night before when coming back from the days hunt. He was very big and very blue, ghosting through the Acacia along the river's bank feeding on the Albida pods that littered the ground. WE drove back at first light in the hopes that we might find his tracks from the night before, the one we found on the road was smoking. Thirty minutes later one of the trackers stopped and like a bird dog stiffened and stretched pointing towards a clearing. Leaving the trackers behind I followed Butch as we made the final approach towards the clearing. The sticks went up and when the Eland stepped into the clear I sent a 370gr Raptor his way, the Eland jumped and like the my Buffalo earlier ran across a small clearing, except this time I got stuck in the sticks and my swing stopped just as I pressed the trigger shooting behind. The Bull only went a very short distance maybe 25yards and stopped. We could see his top line above the bushes while one or two other Eland milled about. Butch unable to see any blood held me from shooting again until he was sure this was the same animal. As the others moved away this Bull slowly laid down, we approached from behind and I slipped a second Raptor into his turned neck.
Wow an Eland is a whole lot of meat this Bull was blue from stem to stern and Butch figured it was close to 2000 pounds when we winched it into his cruiser.

Wildebeest:
This hunt was not planned when I arrived At Humani I had all intentions of trying to shoot a Warthog, (I like having those ivories laying about the house). But the drought of last year took a toll on the locals and finding a good shooter was going to be tough. We decided go after a Wildebeest with the Double making it more of a challenging hunt. That morning we had made a few stalks both times being busted by either Impala or Giraffe, we had been driving for awhile when word came into the cab that three Bulls had been spotted. The cruiser was stopped behind a bush and Butch and I got out as the cruiser drove away. We circled back and around to get the wind in our favor and started to work our way towards where we had seen the Bulls last, the last yards on hands and knees or duck walking stopping behind the last bush between us and them. Butch was squatting and glassing the Bulls and explaining the layout, the Bull with the better horns had ambled off the older Bull was standing right to left and a younger bull was laying down in front of the bull standing his head and left horn between us and the standing Bulls shoulder. While all of this was going on I glanced to our left to see a group of Buffalo feeding towards us. They had got to about 30 yards when they started to curl away except for one old cow who was still feeding our way and starting to pay more attention to the shapes in front of her. Butch ask me at what distance I was comfortable shooting my Double. Most of my practice is done with 4′ and 8″ targets an 8″ target almost covered by the front bead at 50 yards I said maybe 75 yards and he said the standing Bull was an easy 100 was I still interested. My answer was I would let him know when I got on the sticks which he was sliding around the bush as we were speaking. I slid around the bush and got on the sticks and looked through the sights, A Wildebeest a 100 yards is a whole heck of a lot bigger than an 8″ plate I was able to see shoulder, definition and the tip of the horn from the Bull laying down that was just below my aiming point. I could also see that damn Buff Cow that was still feeding towards us. It seems that I had more than enough time to look through the sights take the safety off but the safety back on look at the Cow Buff and back at the Kongoni when Butch said to shoot. I will say that this was one of the sweetest shots I have ever taken, everything felt right, the sight picture, the trigger press, when the sear broke I sent a 450gr Raptor on it’s way. I saw the shot and it’s effect was dramatic the Bull hit the ground like someone pulled the rug out from under it, Butch commented that I must of shot high but I said no as we made our way forward. The Bull on the ground started to bellow and tried and get up I put one more right barrel into it. I have shot my share of animals and I would have to say that I have never seen so much blood on the ground and still pumping out of both sides when we got back to the skinning shed all of the plumbing from the Wildebeest heart had been destroyed in some manner or another.

This was probably one of the best vacations I have ever taken with my wife, as a hunting trip it was wonderfully successful thanks to the staff of Roger Whittall Safaris and Butch Coaton.
What did I learn, well hopefully we never stop learning but the biggest was to get off the damn sticks after the first shot, I learned that I really like hunting with Iron sights and my confidence with my 112 year old Double is very high. If and when I return and my eyes will still let me it will be my primary weapon and CEB bullets will accompany it.

Oh bye the way I turned 60 on this trip, I hate Birthdays and usually head the other way, much to the dismay of my friends this was my idea of heading the other way.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I am afraid I messed up the format

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buff and also other trophies! Butch is the real deal!! Well done!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just need to resize a couple of the pics smaller

Congrats on a great hunt in a beautiful area!!

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on some great animals. Nicely written report, thanks for sharing.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great report. Well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report! Congratulations on some beautiful trophies.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and trophies. It sounds like a wonderful hunt. And you're back just in time for bird season!

Happy birthday too!

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a way to spend a birthday. If I could spend mine that way, I would have two or three a year. I hunted with the Whittalls in '08 and they are a class act. Loved the eland and buffalo, old warriors. Thank you for sharing.

Nyae Nyae bull elephant raffle
https://www.tsumeb-gimnasium.c...hant-hunt-in-namibia

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Great trophies in the best sense. I especially love that eland.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations great hunt thanks for sharing

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report indeed !

Those CEB Raptors do the job. I shot my Buffalo cow in July with my VC 450 NE and the 480 grain Raptor. It indeed worked like hell Wink

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2301063532

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done.

I haven't hunted with Butch but spent some time with him in camp when I hunted Humani-- he's on my short list of PHs to hunt with. He stopped a wounded buffalo at about 5 yards that week!

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well done, my friend! hell of a buffalo and eland!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Jeeeeeeeeeez there some fine trophies you got there. Great to see and thanks for sharing that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Very well done!

Wondering if you recovered any bullets from the game?

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Africa is the best place in the world to spend a B-Day!!! Congrats

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I like the focus Bob of the experience, rather than the body count. Very nice buff, eland and wildebeest. Nicely done!

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Report Bob. It was lovely to meet you sir and i look forward to catching up at the show. Congrats on your hunt and the big 60!!!

Posts: 111 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 19 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Bob thank you for sharing and congratulations on some awesome trophies. I am sorry we did not get to share a campfire and catch up. Mauritius was awesome and great to have some down time with the family. Once again on behalf of all at Humani and RWS we thank you so much for all your support. Be safe.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulation on a very successful safari.

My husband and I hunted with Butch in 2014 and certainly know who much fun you had!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tarbe....
You asked if I recovered any bullets, the answer is yes.. Of the 7 CEB bullets that I shot during the course of my hunt all but one passed through the animal. The 7th was a solid that was the insurance shot that I put into the Buff after he laid down. This shot was a quartering away shot approx between 15-20yards at a slight downward angle shooting at the opposite shoulder. I found this bullet while helping to skin the Buff just under the skin lying sideways. You could see the damage to the shoulder and ball joint and it shows just how rugged these animals are.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report on a very successful hunt! Good shooting!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the excellent report and photos. I could smell it!
Congratulations on your wonderful hunt.

PS. Those CEB solids are A-1. I use them in 375, 500 and 577 on cape buffalo.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies. Thanks for sharing.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote