ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    10 days in the Stormberg Mountains: more client pics added

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 days in the Stormberg Mountains: more client pics added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted
Outfitter: Huntershill Safaris
Area: Wildschutsberg, Eastern Cape
PH: Justin Stretton
Agent: Gray Ghost Safaris: LDK
Dates: 10-19th July, 2016
Rifle: Borrowed .30-06 & .270
Bullets: PMP 180 grain (06) & PMP 130 grain (270)

Animals seen: White Rhino, Cape Buffalo, Hippo, Lions*, Tigers*, Cheetah*, Hyena*, Cape Hunting Dogs*, Bushpigs*, Red River Hogs*, Baboon, Vervet Monkeys, Giraffe, Warthog, Impala, Eland (Cape & Livingstone), Kudu, Waterbuck, Springbok (5 species), Red Hartebeest, Jackal, Sable, Black Wildebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbok, Arabian Oryx, Scimitar Oryx, Lechwe, Sambar, Red Stag, Hog, Axis, Pere David and Barasingha Deer, Bush Duikers, Steenbok, Tsessebe, Nyala, Blesbuck (common, white, yellow), Bontebok, Water Buffalo, Ostrich, Mongoose, Scrub Hare, Bat-eared Foxs, Ground Squirrels, Reedbuck (common and mountain), Burchell’s & Mountain Zebra. *Conservancy enclosures

Game taken: Sable, Eland (Cape), 2-Red Hartebeest (bull & cow), Springbok (common), Gemsbok (cow), Burchell’s Zebra (stallion), Vaal Rhebok, Tsessebe, Warthog, Common Reedbuck, Sambar Stag.

This being the only time I haven't taken my own guns on any hunt, I made the choice to travel without them so I could carry more gear. I really didn't need the extra bag and I paid a 250 rand penalty thanks to South African Air going in and returning. (I flew Delta on the International leg, not enjoying their 2 hour delays on all flights). However, I took a metal detector with the intentions of searching some early British forts and outposts. I never had time to search either. I will next year.
I must admit, I'm a huge fan of hunting, and hunting plains game never gets old. My quest would be to complete a few missing species, mainly the Sable, Eland (Cape), Vaal Rhebok (two previous hunts went naught) & Bushpig. Little did I realize that I would go much further than my short list. When I arrived in camp, I was surprised to see 3 White Rhino's feeding right next to the reception parking lot. Two pet Warthog's came up to us and I didn't know whether to pet them or run. They acted like your family k-9, both relishing the chance to get their bellies scratched. I'm still shaking my head. I'd guess their age at 1.5 years, but I never asked how they came to be docile. The main lodge was nice and the layout was typical with dining area (large) and an excellent bar and lounge. Our hosts were very gracious and constantly on top of things. Meals were above your average in fact, gourmet. Max (the main Chef) and his staff are excellent. We enjoyed outstanding dinners that featured Sable (better than a filet mignon), Eland, Gemsbok as well as chicken & pork. Breakfast was the usual eggs, bacon, toast, hot or cold cereal, coffee/tea, yogurt and fruit. Surprisingly, they had ample quantities of coffee, both perked and instant. As for the hunting, in a word: incredible! I've never seen so many species in one area. Although Wildschutsberg is 55,000 acres, they hold around 3,000 in Fort Beaufort and over 130,000 in a conservancy near Fort Beaufort and recently acquired another farm down the road. If I had to guess, I'd say 60-70 species of game are in those areas. Including exotics such as Axis, Fallow, Hog, Barasingha (swamp), Sambar and Red Deer; Indian water Buffalo, Arabian & Scimitar Oryx, Cameroon Mountain Goat, Mouflon Sheep and a great number of indigenous African Species including Cape Buffalo (some huge old dagga boys), Hippo, Sable, Roan, Kudu, Tsessebe, Impala, Zebra, Black & Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Reedbuck (Mt & common), Lechwe, White Rhino, 5 species of Springbok, Gemsbok, Warthog, Bushpig, Eland (Cape and Livingstone) and many more.

Having agreed to meet up with some friends for some specific plains game hunting, I began my hunt on the first morning for Sable. We glassed many bulls, cows and calves all morning before spotting three lone bulls feeding high up on a very tall ridge line. After deciding on one of the bulls, we watched them bed down on a shelf at a range of over 600 yards. Having a borrowed .30-06 with 180 grain bullets, this was a "no go" situation, and with no solution other than to wait for them to move, we decided to leave and go back to the lodge for lunch, hoping that when we returned, they'd be up and moving...downward with any luck.

After lunch we returned to find them lower and feeding, but still at 450 yards away. We sat and watched for over an hour and a half when all at once, the lead bull starting walking down into the valley, most likely to feed in the bottoms for the night. We made our move and when we gained another 250 yards on them, I took my shot and anchored a fine bull. He wasn't the longest horns I'd seen, but his worn teeth and secondary growth gave me the aged bull I'd hoped for. Sorry I can't tell you how long his horns were; I had no tape measure on this hunt. He's a beautiful Sable bull and that's all I could ask for.

The next day found us searching for a mature Cape Eland. I'd passed on them before as I'd never found one that was old enough for my taste. By mid morning we found a small group of bulls and cows and two held potential. We made our way up above them only to bump into a herd of Giraffe's. Fortunately, they didn't stampede but still alerted the Eland. As we approached a good vantage point, we could see they had moved into deep cover. Lucky for me, they began to feed but after an hour, they vanished. We began discussing what to do when something spooked some Springbok on the far side of the valley and they made a beeline for the cover. This bumped the Eland and we scrambled to intercept them as they worked their way around the hillside. I was up on the sticks when my PH said; "Take the bull facing us!" As I settled the crosshairs on his chest, he turned just slightly to the right and I put one in between his right shoulder and neck. He staggered, stumbled an took a circular path that brought him back to where he was standing when I shot him (30-06). He was swaying but I put another in him and he fell in his tracks like Thor's hammer had hit him. Very nice bull, and I am happy!

We made the call for the recovery team (yes, they actually employ a large group of men to recover your game from deep bush to high mountains. They use heavy tarps to keep your trophy hides/capes from damage). We headed back for lunch and went looking for more game that afternoon.

We headed back out into the mountains hoping to find a particular Gemsbok cow that had an unusual left horn that curved slightly forward. We'd seen this Gemsbok before but were pursuing Eland. Within half an hour we found her with 3 other Oryx. They were mid level on a scattered stone mountain slowly feeding along. We sorted out a plan that would put us on top of a large stone kopje and within 200 yards of our objective. (At lunch I had switched to a Howa rifle in .270 caliber. I quick trip to the range gave me proof that 200 yards would be dead on). Our route took us across a deep ravine and covered from view by large bush and stones. Once we made it to the kopje, I had to belly crawl under some overhanging thorn bush and lay the rifle on a back pack. However, my line of sight wasn't clear so when I focused the cross hairs on the cow's chest, my first shot struck a large rock in front of me and zinged off into the mountainside. The cow stood stoic and frozen in her tracks; no idea where the shot came from. My second shot was good, center chest and the cow stumbled and fell. We attempted to follow an old switchback but too many large rocks and boulders prevented our ascent. We walked the old road bed the rest of the distance and made our way to a fine Gemsbok cow. I'm guessing she'll make 40 inches but that's just a guess. (wound up measuring 41.5"). From the front her horns look typical, but a side view reveals the unusual forward curve of her left horn.

The recovery team was called in...I'm sure happy about that!

Next on the list wasn't planned, but I couldn't resist the special deal on Zebra. Now if I could find the right stallion! That came fairly early the next morning. Right off the bat, not 15 minutes into the search, we find a small group of Blue Wildebeest (there are monster bulls here) and two Zebra's feeding along a trail...yes, up on one of those mountains...lol. We stopped, stepped out of the Toyota and started glassing. The rear Zebra was a stallion and from what I could tell, a fine example. The Howa was up on the sticks and one shot from the .270 and he was down. We climb for a while, take a lot of photo's and thankfully; call the recovery team Smiler

The next morning we left early to travel to another area where Vaal Rhebok abound. I have hunted them a couple of times before but never found a mature ram. Today would be different. When we arrived in the area, we immediately began to see mature shooter class Vaalie's. Nice one's but none we wanted this early in the quest. We finally parked high up on a ridge line and as I searched the ground for early man artifacts (I picked up quite a collection of Oldowan flint tools dating 2-1.5 million years old) my PH and Trackers Tommy and Smiley, scanned the mountains for more Rhebok. After an hour, Tommy came and retrieved me. A suitable ram had been found feeding down on the valley floor with 7 or 8 females. I made my way down the steep mountainside onto a ledge where my PH was watching them feed. The range was too steep and far to try a shot so we decided to wait and see what would unfold. About an hour later, on the opposite side of our mountain, a rancher drove out to do something (I have no idea what) but it spooked these nervous little antelopes and they made a hasty retreat up our side of the mountain. We quickly had to move to our right and against my wishes, I had to go up on the sticks (I would have preferred to lie down and rest the rifle on a large rock). When the ram stopped, he was about 275 yards away and looked like a mouse. I steadied the cross hairs just at the top of his shoulders and squeezed the trigger. You could hear the hiss of the 130 grain spire point and the distinct "thump" of impact. The ram was down but immediately back on his feet. The flock ran about 50 yards forward and stopped. Again I knocked him down but he was up again and running. (Note: I was attempting to center my shots mid-body to avoid the from shoulders which can spell disaster in cape damage). All disappeared underneath our view but when we counted the ewes coming back into sight, the ram wasn't with them. We found him underneath the bench we'd been watching from. Now the hard part began. The vertical descent was rough. My upper thigh muscles were sore for 3 days. A hard earned addition to my tiny 10 collection. I want this hunt again...fabulous!

Next morning we packed and left for Fort Beaufort, and early British Fort and outpost during the frontier days. We headed there to hunt Bushpig's. My good friend had just smoked a big boar after only sitting in the blind for one hour (he did that one time in Zim when we were hunting Leopards). Upon arriving to our destination, I was greeted by a huge bull Kudu I later named Bozo. He was off limits for hunting as his job was to introduce a fresh bloodline into the resident herd of Kudu cow's. From the number of cow's I saw over the next few days, I'd say he was kept busy 24/7. Plenty of young Kudu bulls were seen as well. There were Nyala, Wildebeest, Impala, Eland, Warthog's, Waterbuck (I watched 3 one morning which one was 32-33 inches or better) and Buffalo sign was everywhere but I never laid eyes on them until the second night when returning from pig hunting. They were standing in an open area and our head lights revealed several good bulls with one being a toad! I couldn't say how many were in that herd but I would guess 30 or 40. The third day at Beaufort had me itching to hunt something besides the elusive Bushpig so I settled for some Warthog stalking. There were lots of hog sign in the adjacent conservancy (over 130,000 acres) but I only encountered average Warthog's. A slow stalk on 3 porkers produced this one from 100 yards. He never knew what hit him.

The next day we worked our way into range of a herd of Red Hartebeest. We found an old female that was looking rather poor so I put her down then spent the next hour looking for a good male. We found one and after a slow, stealthy stalk, I put the .270 to good use again. He's really a nice old ram with good mass and length.

After 3 nights of unsuccessful Bushpig hunting, I wanted to return to Wildschutsberg as the numbers of game there need to be seen to believe. Aside from the hunting, there is a wildlife conservancy with Lion's (including white Lions), Bengal Tigers (including white Tigers), Cheetah's, Hyena's, African Hunting Dogs, Red River Hogs, Bushbuck, Hog Deer and more, and they feed the predators twice per week. It is a thrill to watch these deadly predators up close but to hear a Tiger's strange "snorting" is really unnerving. The Hunting Dog bitch had just given birth to a litter of pups. Appeared to be around 9 pups but one didn't make it, even though they brought it to the lodge and nursed it all night, it died the next morning. At night you can hear the Lion's and Hyena's calling. And game is moving through camp all night. Each morning you would be surprised by all the tracks you'll see.
Back to the hunting; we returned to the main camp and while driving through some of the river bottom areas, I was shocked to see a variety of deer. Lechwe were all over the bottoms but so were some Sambar deer. I watched a group of them moving in and out of an alfalfa field and when a nice stag made his way towards us, I moved into position and waited. He was 198 yards when I pressed the trigger on the .270 and at the impact, he jumped straight up and mule kicked. He jumped down into the river bed and we never saw him again until we made our way down to where he'd dropped off the bank. He was lying in a large pool of water. Nice stag with some velvet still on his antlers.

Our time was winding down but while watching some Sable and Scimitar Oryx feeding in an open plain, I spotted a common Reedbuck. The sun was beginning to set so we made a plan to work our way to within a shot. This wound up taking a half an hour but finally we had him within 300 yards. He was down but by the time we retrieved the truck and made our way back to him, it was dark.

The next morning I decided to try for a Tsessebe. I'd seen them in Zimbabwe but never attempted to hunt one. We drove to a large open plains area and after riding around for a while, we found a group of 8, then another with 9 in it. A couple of nice ones but we continued on. Finally, we found a bachelor herd with 8 bulls in it. After an hour of watching them feed, one of the better bulls laid down. The wind was blowing around 40 mph with gusts adding another 10 mph. I worked within 135 yards and upon lying the rifle on the sticks, he stood up and I put a 130 grain spitzer into his left shoulder. He went less than 35 yards. Good mass and worn horns gave me a very nice trophy Tsessebe.

We loaded him ourselves and headed in. I asked to remain at the skinning facility so I could see him washed (he'd been rolling in mud) and cleaned up. They are known to be the fastest of the African antelope but I admired his color. They shimmer in sunlight.

That afternoon the wind was really strong. We just rode around looking at all kinds of wildlife when I spotted a large herd of Kalahari Springbok. Within that heard was a toad! It wasn't easy getting into range with that wind and ewe's surrounding him but after multiple attempts, I finally had him in the open, standing still and I put him down. Really happy with this ram, he'll make a beautiful pedestal mount.

I packed that evening and joined in some great fellowship of hunters in the lounge that night. What a great staff and the hunting opportunities are off the charts! Next year I'm returning for Cape Buffalo, Blue Duiker, Bushpig, Roan and maybe a Hog deer. Listening to the roar of the Lions and the lonesome wail of the Hyena's at dusk and dawn is better than watching any TV. If your looking for a great place to hunt that can be rewarding and as challenging as you want, give me a call and I'll sort out a package for you. Or, come join me next year and see for yourself, this is a top shelf outfit. Good hunting, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Sable. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the rest of your report.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 632 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Great Sable D !!
Looks like a great time.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
They look great! I enjoyed the East Cape when I was there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Some very nice trophies David. The Vaalies are my favorite species to hunt in South Africa!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt report so far David...
To be continued....
Looks like you had a great time in a great area

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, I appreciate it. Cheers, LDK

Some of the many Oldowan tools I picked up from numerous early humanoid camps. These basic, simple flake tools can date as far back as 2-1.5 million years ago. They all had one thing in common: camps were located on high ridges overlooking vast plains or river bottoms. I'm sure being alert for any of the major predators was a full time job. All of these tools exhibit basic percussion flaking and most have fine serrations on their edges. The ovoid tool has use wear on all surfaces and the drilled soft stone is drilled on both sides. Use? Unknown but may have been used to start embers for fire making. Many larger tools are uniface. Lithic material was abundant in certain areas.

A few of the many Buffalo I encountered. This area is off limits to hunting due to a breeding program. One aged old bull would break 45" and another is larger than him.

Lion's and their meat......

NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures and wonderful report. Congratulations and thank you for sharing!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beautiful Sambar. Congratulations

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Liked seeing how a .270 with plain Jane ammo was taking "tough' animals like oryx and zebra (I would imagine the shooter has a lot to do with this as well).

Great report!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on an awesome hunt.

I always thought you'd take your first Sambar with me CRYBABY

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report and trophies. Like David, I've stopped bringing my own rifles to Africa, and have used my PH's camp rifles to avoid the hassles and baggage fees. I pack all my kit into my Red Oxx carryon and breeze through customs in RSA and Windhoek without worrying about lost luggage or pilferage. IMHO, it's the only way to fly.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Yes Paul, so did I, but I had no idea they had not only Sambar, but Axis, Fallow, Hog, Barasingha and Red Stag. I'm guessing he's just a good representative but you know the Sambar better than any man I've ever met or known. We will still get into some hunting; your home or mine Smiler
Bud, I totally empathize, but I'll be taking my own rifles in the future. Hassle; somewhat, but I missed my own guns, especially when I could have taken much longer shots with confidence. On dangerous game, I want to know what's up before I squeeze that trigger.

NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NAHC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
congrats David. great old animals...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tim, we tried to pick the oldest we could find in most cases. No luck on finding any old pigs. They seemed to elude us this trip. Did see some monster Buffalo...next year Smiler

NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NAHC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few of my friends trophy's from their hunt with me:

Jeff's monster Gemsbuck: 43.5 inches!

White Springbuck

Nice Eland Jeff!

Great looking Lechwe, congrats!

Very nice Bushpig, well done Mark!

Great looking Eland!

Congrats on the Roan! Very heavy and worn Smiler

Nice Lechwe!

41.5" Sable, congrats!

Well done guys, see you in 2017!

NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NAHC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
WOW You and Mark took some great trophies !!

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dennis, we all had a great time and it looks like 5 of us are returning next year. I saw a number of stud dagga boys and there's a bushpig and blue duiker that need sorting out Smiler

NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NAHC Life Member