ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Nuanetsi, Zimbabwe with Charlton McCallum Safaris
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nuanetsi, Zimbabwe with Charlton McCallum Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted
I recently had the opportunity to hunt Buffalo & plains game while my friend hunted Leopard & plains game on the recently reopened Nuanetsi Conservancy, Southern Zimbabwe. I'm sure he will add his report and photos soon.

Dates 1-10 July 2012
Outfitter: Charlton McCallum - www.CMSafaris.com

PH - Alan Shearing
Trackers: Martin & Maplan, Driver: Bernard, Game Scout: Mbezi

Paperwork:

Travel on Qantas: Auckland - Sydney - Johannesburg Return
Travel on BA/Comair: Johannesburg - Harare Return - NOT RECOMMENDED
Charter to Camp: Harare to Nuanetsi HQ with Gilles, Cessna 206 - highly recommended

Game Seen during the 10 day period - mostly during daylight hours
Aardvark , Baboon , Vervet Monkeys , Cape Buffalo , Hippo , Eland , Zebra , Impala , Warthog , Bushpig , Civit , Leopard , Wildebees , Giraffe , Waterbuck , Bushbuck , Steenbuck , Duiker , Njala , Dwarf Mongoose , Honey Badger , Hyena , Porcupine , Genet , Springhare , Jackal ,Rabbit ,Serval - Trailcam , Elephant - Tracks & sign only ,Cheetah - Tracks & spotted by Camp manager

The Birdlife was stunning, coming from NZ it was amazing to see and hear the variety - some of the more memorable sightings:
African Hawk Eagles , White backed Vulture , Bearded woodpeckers , Helmeted Guinea Fowl , Crested Guinea Fowl , Meyers' Parrots , Gymnogene , Saddle bill Stork , Egyptian Geese , Spur wing Goose, Fish Eagle

Camp:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1

9am - 30min into tracking we run into a M1 Abrams Tank our 1st 40"+ Buffalo at 35yrds!!!
If this is the 1st hour of the 1st day then I can't wait for the next 10 days! We look him over, but while he is massive and an awesome trophy he is not an old Daggaboy. I walk away from my 1st up close buffalo encounter exhilarated.
Shortly afterwards, run into a Civit and sneak up to 15yrds and get him on video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5LatPGtlms
Missed a longish shot at a Jackal at last light. Made him jump, but I still feel like I let myself down with that shot.

Day 2
Speed-sneaking-101 with Alan trying to get in front of the herd in the thick stuff. Both me and the trackers got the Evil-Eye on this stalk a few times. I'm convinced Professional Hunters practice that look in the mirror after everyone else has gone to bed!

We end up splitting the herd in 2 and heading back to camp with not much to show for our efforts, except for images of big buff heading for the horizon and another awesome experience.

Bushbuck in Camp, on video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhNpnvOlIBU

Late Afternoon we run into 3 Buff after another epic stalk at 30yrds - both around 38" - Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fBDauam5mI

Day 3
Probably the longest day, tracking, losing the spoor, tracking again and then trying to get close.

We eventually catch up with our 1st REAL OLD Daggaboy, an old Whiteface Buff - I'm starting to get a glimpse of the type of Buff Al wants me to shoot... We never get close enough but it was still an exhilarating stalk. I'm having the time of my life!

Lunch with Warthogs at waterhole - Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VctRWrZItM4

Late afternoon we run into a Honey badger and cub - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuP7u2_h-44

We bump 3x Daggaboys at last light - the bull we want is at the back, 55yrd shot too far for me with the Merkel 470NE with open sights and they run off.
I'm exhausted and barely make it back to camp awake, but a long shower a beer and Lynzee's fine food gets me back on track.

Day 4 and its a Full moon
We track an old drag-leg Daggaboy all morning, catch-up with him and his mate in the Mopani at 30yrds and he is a gonzo (rat) and while his mate is nice at around 39" his boss is still a bit soft in the V. We could have had them both and I even managed to sneak in a few extra yards before they crash off as I do a practice run on getting the sight picture just right!

Video of us tracking him through the Mopani, those dry leaves are like walking on Cornflakes, noisy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfX-j-KRz8

But we managed to get close enough to catch this little guy half asleep - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBKcBat15ko

Late afternoon we run into our 2nd Whiteface and attempt a stalk on the group of 12+ bulls as they head away. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWESOjqHl7Y

We have to give up as we run out of light, by now I'm starting to get it - My ph have been hunting Daggaboys for the last few days and I've just been walking after anything that made Buff tracks in the red dust. On the way back to camp I said to Alan, I now understand what kind of Buffalo we are hunting.

I want that big old bastard with the battle scars!

Fanus gets his Leopard at last light, so much for never shooting a leopard during the Full moon!

Day 5
No tracks to follow at the first three waterholes we check. The bulls drink late afternoon and the herds during the night covering all spoor and making tracking difficult. The Full moon also means Buff walk & feed all night.

We head over to the waterhole we found the group of 12+ bulls last night to see if we can follow them. When we arrive the waterhole is bone dry and we assume they must have gone to Lilly Pad pan, a few km's North. We jump in the Cruiser and head over. We run into the group about 1/2 way between the 2 waterholes, slowly back up and make a plan to take time of day and wind into consideration...

We are 5 days into a 10day hunt and I decide to leave the double and grab the Mauser M03 in 404 Jeffery. The area is quite open and I'm done tracking and stalking, it's time to get serious and if a longer shot presents its self then I'm ready as the Mauser carries a Swaro Z6 1-6 power.

Sitting in the baking sun for 40mins and the mind starts to wander, we are pinned down at 30yrds and no one is moving. The wind is starting to swirl and it is pure luck that they haven't smelled us yet. Alan looks at Martin and motions him to start backing out, we will have to try a different approach as we still haven't spotted our bull. I'm having a great time!
Before Martin has shuffled 2m, Alan is urging me to get back and get ready. Our bull just appeared and he is feeding at an angle towards us. 35yrds, I make sure the Z6 is on 2x. Safety Off!

Sitting down I rest my elbow on my knee and I can see his huge boss through the scope. No headshots on this hunt! Aim for his neck and make sure the angle goes through to the boiler room.

"Al! I'm going for the spine"

Silence from Alan...

The 404 roars and all hell breaks loose. Buff everywhere and we later hear from Bernie that they came flying past the Cruiser at full tilt. Stampede style!

The shot felt good and he stumbles, and gets up. Alan - GIVE HIM ANOTHER ONE!

Another 400grn Barnes X hits him on the shoulder as he runs across our front, I don't recall working the bolt after the 1st shot and when did I stand up and step into the gap?... Time is slowing down and now I'm working the bolt. He has spotted us and he is coming.
The 1st shot broke the offside shoulder and he is labouring hard, but determined to get to us.

The 404 feeds flawlessly until I'm empty and Alan also hits him hard and he crushes a tree and he stumbles again.

I grab another from my belt and slam the bolt home on the M03. I lift the rifle and hit him between the eyes as he lifts his head.
15yrds.

Everything is silent until Al walks up to me.

The relief and release is great and we soon move on and approach the fallen buff.

He is huge and I'm ecstatic!

5 days of the best hunting I've had, learning from one of the best hunters I've ever had the privilege to hunt with. And we did it the right way, tracking on foot, stalking in close and taking our time. I learned a lot about myself in those 5 days, I know this won't be my last buff and we soon start joking about how we should spend the last 5 days of the hunt. Because hunting anything but Buff is sure to be a major let down!
We spend the rest of the day loading & recovering the huge buff and celebrate back at camp in style!

"Thats why we came here FORRR!"

Day 6
North of camp on Mwenezi river
Big 16"+ bushbuck seen but he doesn't offer a shot - we bump him 3 times and the excitement builds as we see lots of smaller bushbuck (13-15") and other game around. It's not Buff hunting, but it sure is fun. The pressure is off and we just enjoy the stalking.

We take a nice Impala @ 120yrds with 404 Jeff Mauser of Als Magic Irish shooting sticks!

Also manage to catch a pair of Porcupine on video - amazing to see these guys out in the day time -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyjeBN6Cp08

We take the afternoon off and go after Hyena that night
I manage a half decent shot @ 50yrds with 416Rem Mag Sauer and my hunting partner nails his and evens the score with Mbede with a great 130yrd shot with the Sauer Hatari 375H&H.

Costa, the skinner was bleak when we rolled into camp at around 11pm. The poor guy didn't say a word after he was awoken to process the 2 Hyena, but it was clear he was not a happy camper. We made sure he was tipped properly at the end of the hunt. That's one job I don't want!

Day 7
15+ Kudu bulls spotted, 1 group of 8 big bulls - biggest mid 50's
And some girls:

Also saw some small game :-)

We stalk the southern end of river and I catch this girl on video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNPX6qrRFow

We blank on Hyena after a big drive to the corner of the concession, high speed game viewing compliments of Mr Schultzmacher. Shit that boy can drive :-)

Day 8
Not a lot to say , except that we got lucky, very lucky.

7:30am big Limpopo Bushbuck at 60yrds

Green score was just shy of 19" and he will probably go over 49" SCI.
The photos don't do him justice, he was an old battle scarred warrior and he will have pride of place next to my Daggaboy when they finally make the trip to New Zealand!

Day 9
Up at 4am for a 12hour day, big drive, but well worth it.

Big bull hippo taken by my mate with 416RM solid to brain at approx 150yrds

Spend all day recovering hippo and driving back.

Day 10
Last day and keen to even the score with George. It was a very cold morning and we surprise him at his breakfast table - 200yrds with 404 to chest. I'm really settling well into the shooting sticks and I even manage to follow him through the scope as he falls over backwards after the shot!

We take a slow drive back to camp, hoping to run into some warthog, but only see sows and young boars. We do however run into a massive bushpig, but he is too smart for us. I'll have to come back for him next year.

Back at camp Keith & Lynzee end our hunt with Birthday Cake & Ice-cream following Buff & Kudu BBQ fillets for dinner!

My thanks to Alan Shearing for taking the time and giving me the opportunity to experience a Buffalo hunt, his way. The right way. I hope you enjoyed the hunt as much as I did.

Posts: 354 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Holyshit H you have had a great trip mate....and lost a heap of weight..wtf have you been doing? walking the whole of Africa?
I remember you pulling the double out of your safe and saying to me 'this is for my cape buff"...you know you have to go back dont you now!

Onya mate!

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Great trophies and experiences. Both the buff and bushbuck are magnificent.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Nice report.

Killer hat Martin........

Good to see that no 1 PH Alan and the crew is still hunting good.

Posts: 189 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a very successful safari and some great trophies. Fantastic buff and HUGE bushbuck.

Thanks for sharing.

Torbjorn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speed-sneaking-101 with Alan trying to get in front of the herd in the thick stuff. Both me and the trackers got the Evil-Eye on this stalk a few times. I'm convinced Professional Hunters practice that look in the mirror after everyone else has gone to bed!

You betcha!! Big Grin
A good report, an excellent hunt, a snorter of a bushbuck, same for the buff and a damn good looking .404. tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report! There is something about the first picture that I love. What brand of double?

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to all of you! I did notice that "outer circle" wildebeest Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great hunt and a great "hunters" attitude.
You may or may not be aware, but the scenario you experienced when your buff came for you after the shot is very similar to how Alan was gored three years ago protecting his client.
He is without doubt one of the top PHs and a great guy to spend time with.
I cant believe that Martin is still wearing that lion hat. It was his third prize when we shared camp with Al back in May and had an inter team shooting competition.
Well done again on an outstanding hunt.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fvh40
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt.
Thanks for sharing

PH 47/2015 EC
HC 16/2015 EC
Ferdi Venter
ferdiventer@gmail.com
http://www.ferdiventerhunting.com

Nature at your doorstep

Posts: 305 | Location: SA Eastern Cape | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic bushbuck, probably the best I have ever seen.... Wow.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt report. Thanks.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

The reports indicate that Brent Leesmay has done a fine job getting Nuanetsi back on line for safari hunting.

Congrats to all involved.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
wow! Super trophies
Thanks for the report,and Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was there in 2007 it was snare central. Great Trip!!!!!

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loved that area. I camped/hunted that river in 2006 (Mwenezi).

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
That is an incredible Bushbuck

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Huge congrats and as has been said 0 the BUSHBUCK - wow...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats it. I deffinatly have to join you next time. An amazing trip a few of us back here in NZ have been waiting to hear about. Some wonderful animals.

Posts: 4230 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. I really had an awesome experience and we were rewarded with some spectacular trophies. Nuanetsi is a world-class operation, Brent Leesmay and his team are doing a fantastic job and I'm sure you will see more reports of record breaking trophies coming out of there in the next few months. Hopefully my Bushbuck stands for a while....

Gryph, I gave up beer and bread for about 6months. Dropped 10kgs and trying hard to keep the extra weight off. I find carrying a double rifle for 5 days helped.
Rich, my double is a Merkel and I would have loved to take my buff with it, but it didn't work out like that. There is always next time, on Elephant!
Shanks, you would have loved this trip, the variety and amount of game we saw was just spectacular.

Boris, I'd love to share a camp with you at some stage. Martin's hat was one of the trip highlights and he wears it with pride! Alan shared his experience and I guess you know it's a "real charge" when your PH gets to put a few into your buff!

If you are dreaming of hunting Africa, find a way to do it as soon as possible! Places like Nuanetsi are rare and very special, so go and enjoy the experience while you can.

Posts: 354 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
What a great hunt, report, and attitude. I enjoyed reading every word. You certainly did it right. More of a total adventure than just a buffalo hunt (as if there is such a thing). Congrats and what an awesome BB!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome hunt, super pictures - out of this world Bushbuck!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable hunt, some of the best animals I've seen taken on a single safari in a coons age, the buffalo, outstanding, the warthog, impressive, hell of a set of teeth on the hippo, what looks to be a far better than average kudu, is that an old worn down nyala I see in the middle? and the bushbuck... shocker

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Envious of both the bushbuck and buff. Great animals and a good report to boot!

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the whole hunt, the bushbuck is a TOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wesley

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Hendrick!

That's a beautiful old bull but that bushbuck is a once in a lifetime trophy. I'm going to copy that picture and take it with me on my next trip to Africa to show my PH so he'll know what to look for.

I'm green with jealousy. Well done, mate.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Awesome hunt report and great trophies.

I just loved the way you stalked and walked and tracked animals on the scope etc. I would ahve done the same. Pulling the trigger is not the only fun on a trip like this!

Amazing bushbuck.

You should celebrate with a few Speights after that!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Welcome home.
Well Shanks that's taken care of the winter blues.
Looking forward to catching up over a beer Hendrick.
Now all I have to do is figure out how to leave the kids home alone for 3 weeks and sneak off with Sue next week as she departs for a 20 day bush pilot trip in Southern Africa.
Count me in for round 2, if you can tolerate having an archery hunter about.
What do you think Shanks you bring your stick thrower as well and Hendrick can back us up!

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and well done. Your trophies are amazing. I especially liked your report with video inserts...made it really enjoyable.

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Great pics and a fine report! Thank you. BTW that buff is a stud and the bushbuck is a DUDE!

tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looks like a superb hunt with a proper buff trophy! Also great to see a report out of the new Nuanetsi Conservancy! Well done...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful safari and a slammer bushbuck. That buf is great also.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Great report and pictures. Well done!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7593 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report.
Thanks for the effort in sharing your incredibly successful hunt.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted Hide Post
Awesome bushbuck and very nice rifles!

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted Hide Post

Classic Head gear

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helluva safari all the way around. Some fantastic trophies taken.

I may have to look into booking a hunt here..
Brent, any sable/leopard/hippo combos??

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henrik,

Great trophies but as other have already written that bushbuck is amazing. I've seen one slightly bigger that a previous client killed the day I arrived in camp on my first safari but other than that nothing even close. That one deserves a lifesize. Big congrats and well done all around.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote