ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Lord Derby's Giant Eland : Cameroon March 2014 : Photo's added
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lord Derby's Giant Eland : Cameroon March 2014 : Photo's added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter: Safari Chelet : Kourouk, Northern Cameroon
Booking Agent: Adventure Unlimited: John Barth.
Dates: March 23th to April 2nd 2014.

Sitting with my old friend John Barth in his booth at SCI in Vegas we were catching up in general but mostly discussing how disappointed I was with having to cancel my planned hunt to CAR. John and I had talked about my hunting the Giant or Lord Derby Eland for a few years and it seemed with the “closing” of CAR this would not eventuate. I have several friends who had hunted this magnificent antelope and told me of their great adventures in pursuing this much sought after and largest of the Eland species.

John went on to tell me he had a good relationship with Pepe Chelet from Safari Chelet. To date , they have been mainly operating in Cameroon for the Forrest species but had recently secured a couple of blocks in Northern Cameroon and now offered the Lord Derby Eland together with the other Savannah species typical of this environment.

A quick call to Pepe from John and half an hour later I was booking flights to Douala to arrive 5 weeks later for what would be the last Eland hunt (of the 4 they conduct ) for the season. John showed me some photos of the 2 bulls taken up until the SCI show and they were heavy, mature bulls with an average of 47”.

The next 5 weeks went very slow! Together with John’s very capable and helpful assistant, Merrona, we organized the documentation for my Visa through the Cameroon Embassy in DC and my passport arrived safely back in my hands 7 days after lodging. I was locked and loaded.
I was flying Delta (operated by Air France) through Charles De Gaul. Everything went very smoothly and landing in Douala at about 5pm I was met by Safaris Chelet’s local man Emille who did a great job of “expediting and assisting” me through customs etc. By 7pm I was sitting at the bar in The Meriden hotel with an ice cold Beaufort beer in my hand with that warm and fuzzy feeling that only comes with the excitement and expectation of starting of a safari. Emille collected me at 8am the next morning for my internal flight to Ngauondere (which interestingly went via Chad!!) , the capital of Northern Cameroon.
Ximo Chelet , my PH for the next 10 days , and Stefan the cook, met me at the airport and we soon had everything packed in the Hilux and commenced our 5 hour drive to camp. We stopped along the way to pick up some local bbq’d lamb (goat) from the side of the road….with a bit of salt and washed down with cold water I was really starting to get into the groove. Whilst Cameroon seemed to havce its differences to the other parts of Africa I had visited, the sights, sounds and smells were very familiar. The road was marginal to say the least and average speed was probably 60-70km an hour so there was lots of time to talk with Ximo about the hunt etc .

We arrived into camp after dark and despite being pretty tired we managed to have a little party. There was another hunter in camp and he had taken his Eland the day before. Chuck and his wife Vicky were from Florida and had been in camp for 7 days and were hunting with PH Hancke Hudson. I talked at length with Chuck about the hunting and all this did was reinforced my excitement for what was to come. We walked to the skinning shed after dinner and I was stunned by Chuck’s 47” super bull in the boiling drum.
Standard Operating Procedure for the safari would be to wake up at 5am and be out of camp about 6am which was about 15 minutes before sunrise. Much like hunting in other parts of Africa, we would drive the roads looking for fresh spoor and then get on the ground if it looked promising. Our hunting party consisted of Ximo and I and two trackers: Danlardy and Bleus.

To cut a long story short the first 5 days of hunting were the most physically and mentally taxing I have ever done. The conditions were brutal and I soon learned to appreciate why these Eland are regarded as amongst the most difficult animals to hunt. Most days it was 110+ degrees with varying levels of humidity. In the first 4 days we tracked Eland for 9 hours every day ….covering an average of 20km per day. The ground that these animals can cover is staggering. Ximo told me that just walking they travel at 10km an hour! If they break into a trot then it doubles. By the end of day 3 I was beginning to wonder if the tracks we were following really had animals at the end of them!

In the late afternoon of Day 4, after a full day of walking it was clear that the tracks we had been following all day were getting very fresh. The wind was variable and a constant concern but we were soon finding the ground still wet from urine and warm droppings….but did we see those Eland??....No! Incredible. When we were on the hot spoor the trackers naturally slowed their pace looking closely ahead into the savannah. After about an hour (about 5pm) it became clear we were not gaining ground on the herd so we began to move quickly on the spoor. We ran out of light ….always thinking that we would see them any minute. The 2 hour walk back to the car in the dark was very tough.

Day 5 saw the four of us back on the spoor where we left the Eland the night before. This day turned out to be the toughest day of hunting I have ever done. By 4pm we had walked 25km in very hot conditions…. ….and still not seen the herd. We were getting very low on water having drunk 18 litres. I was foot sore and tired and felt like I was in a day dream walking behind Ximo wondering if I would ever see a Giant Eland when the trackers hissed and we dropped to the ground. There, in a wooded area about 300m in front of was a herd of about 40 Giant Eland slowly feeding away from us. This was the herd we had tracked for 2 full days and 45km!! We glassed them for about 5 minutes but could not make out a mature Bull. They soon started to disappear from sight which I found amazing as I was sure they had not seen or winded us. The difference is when they start to walk….they are gone!! The trackers confirmed we had not spooked them and they had just moved off. We had about 30 minutes of light left. Ximo decided we should go as hard as we could and try to catch them and see if we could see a Bull. Dropping our packs, I chambered a round in my 416 Rigby and we went on the tracks at a run. We never really caught them. I got the odd glimpse of a cow but no bull. As the light faded we had to stop.

We were all completely spent and desperately disappointed. I felt sure we were going to get a shot opportunity but none arose. Ximo and the boys did say he saw one mature bull for a split second.
We sat in the shade of a tree and took stock. We were all wringing wet with sweat. We had about 10 minutes of light left. We had run out of water. We had a solid 2 hours walk (~8km) to the nearest road. It was a sobering time and we all steeled ourselves for the trek to come. By the time we stumbled into the car we were completely spent! A 20 mile day, after 4 previous hard days, wrecked us. We had come so close and I had seen my first wild Lord Derby.

When Saleh the camp boy woke me at 5am on Day 6 , I sat on the edge of my bed feeling sorry for myself and thinking seriously about calling a rest morning! 20 minutes later after 2 Advils and a Berocca I met Ximo for breakfast. We discussed the plan. Ximo said the trackers had told him they had seen some Eland Bull tracks in the area where we had put the herd to bed on Day 4. They did not think these tracks we part of the herd and thought we should go back to that area and check. To get the wind right and approach the area from the right direction we had a 3 hour walk. 9.30 am found us hot and sweaty but finding Eland Bull tracks that were a day or two old. Our approach plan had worked and the wind was perfect . Examining the tracks the trackers said there appeared to be 3 bulls moving around a large area of approximately 3 square kms in the previous days. After another half hour walking I don’t know what changed but Ximo handed his gun to Bleus and took the sticks. I instinctively chambered a round and flicked on the safety. Not 200m further on and Bleus pointed to our left. I saw the huge Eland Bull standing in the shade of a tree about 150m away No words were spoken or required.. Ximo threw the sticks down and the 416 barked. The 400gn Trophy Bonded Bear Claw hit with an audible thud and I saw the bull drop in the recoil. We sprinted up to the downed animal and I put in a finishing shot for insurance.

My recollection of the celebration is actually quite vague. I do know that we yelled and screamed in pure elation and our feelings came flooding out in a torrent of unstoppable emotions. The Lord of The Savannah was lying at our feet. We embraced for a long time and stood in awe of this incredible animal. It turned out he was a lone bull. His body size and mass in his horns was breathtaking. The work really started then and it was not until 6 hours later we pulled into camp to begin our celebration in earnest. We sang songs the whole of the ride back and the all the hard work of the previous 5 days was paid in full. Our magnificent bull would later measure 51.5” long with 14” bases.

Ximo and I with our incredible Lord Derby.

Over the next 4 days we hunted a little less hard!! All of the animals we had passed up in the previous week were now in serious danger and we managed to take several superb trophies including Western Kob, Northwestern or Savannah Buffalo, Sing Sing Waterbuck and Harnessed Bushbuck...plus a few Baboons and Duikers.

Found some other photo's to share:

400gn Trophy Bonded Bear Claw recovered from Eland

The meat smoker.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and you were rewarded with a hard earned trophy eland. Some other great animals for lagniappe!

Well done !

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW...Congratulations Steve!
Superb hunt and incredible adventure!!!
Looks like you had a great team and fantastic area and gave it your all...Well done clap

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Well Done! tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
4 feet 3 and a half inches.

Lucky bastard. Just found him standing under a tree broadside at 150 meters.

Astonishing trophy mate and the old worn down bushbuck is a beauty.

Did you 'Slap your Mama'?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, CONGRATS!!! Africa has been kind to you the giant sable and now this... WOW!
you must be living right.
Great hard fought trophy and thanks for the report.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Dianna certainly has smiled on you of recent. Good for you!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Steve, you really worked for that outstanding bull! Absolutely gorgeous!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Eland, congratulations.
Arjun

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
Great Eland & bushbuck - well done.

Posts: 354 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, you are the man! What a hunt!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Congratulations on a fantastic trophy. 51.5 inches is a sod of a bull. Plus some other great prizes of the savanna! I am doing that exact hunt in February of 2015 with Chelet Safaris. When you catch your breath, do you mind if I pm you a few questions before I follow in your footsteps? On the ground intel is always the best. Thanks...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Amazing trophy Eland. Congratulations.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a solid effort on the hunt with some great trophies to show for it!

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Well done! Amazing hunt and animals. On my list of "must do" hunts.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Andy....I knew you would do the feet and inches conversion!
Of course we "slapped your Mama"....and that Giant Eland makes wonderful Biltong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Steve,
Congratulations on a fantastic trophy. 51.5 inches is a sod of a bull. Plus some other great prizes of the savanna! I am doing that exact hunt in February of 2015 with Chelet Safaris. When you catch your breath, do you mind if I pm you a few questions before I follow in your footsteps? On the ground intel is always the best. Thanks...

Very happy to discuss on PM.
I will be back in Houston next week and we can talk.
Cheers
Steve

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! I didn't know that the LDE's got that big in Cameroon, typically we only see this quality coming out of CAR. A great bag of other Savannah species too.

Well done! tu2

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great trip with some fantastic trophies... Well done beer

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing safari! Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Super bull Steve!

Very well earned. Thanks for posting.

I am still considering doing this hunt with Bwanamrm in February.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
HUGE LDE!

Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for sharing a very nice hunt report with some outstanding photos.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull - congratulations!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve416:
quote:

Of course we "slapped your Mama"....and that Giant Eland makes wonderful Biltong.

We are still slapping it mate but strictly reserved for steak.

Will be sprinkling some over the Luangwa and the swamps soon.

Looking forward to the shrinkage on the Lord Derby.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like an awesome hunt. Those are some great looking trophies

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

We are still slapping it mate but strictly reserved for steak.

Will be sprinkling some over the Luangwa and the swamps soon.

Looking forward to the shrinkage on the Lord Derby.

Yes...will bring restock for Luangwa and swamps. Cant wait.

Ha ! Shrinkage like on our Sable!!

One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
My sincere congratulations for that giant of a bull and a great bag of savannah trophies! With this bull, the sable, those wide RSA buffalo and your gorgeous maned lion Africa has truly been generous to you!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful animals and hard earned. Makes the hunt more memorable. How are you going to mount the bull ?

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ManuelM:
My sincere congratulations for that giant of a bull and a great bag of savannah trophies! With this bull, the sable, those wide RSA buffalo and your gorgeous maned lion Africa has truly been generous to you![/QUOTE

Yes. I am very lucky and honored.
As Mark said above....Diana has been smiling on me!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
Beautiful animals and hard earned. Makes the hunt more memorable. How are you going to mount the bull ?

I took a Full Body. The reality is these animals are HUGE....and I seriously need to work out whether I can fit a full mount Giant Eland in my trophy room!!! That is the plan though!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
My sincere congratulations for that giant of a bull and a great bag of savannah trophies! With this bull, the sable, those wide RSA buffalo and your gorgeous maned lion Africa has truly been generous to you![/QUOTE

You never mentioned an observer?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You mean a voyeur?

One of Us
Picture of NorthernOperationsAfrica
posted Hide Post
Congrats Steve

Glad you had a great hunt and took some amazing trophies. That LDE is a beast. Will be a great Addition to your trophy room.

The Classic Spiral-Horned Collectors.

www.northernoperationsafrica.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NorthernOperationsAfrica:
Congrats Steve

Glad you had a great hunt and took some amazing trophies. That LDE is a beast. Will be a great Addition to your trophy room.

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the hard earned ones are the best. Congratulations on a awesome and well earned trophy

Tim

One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Maybe I deserve that!, but I just happen to have good memory for the great trophies posted here tu2

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very well done. I loved your report... A hunt, not for the faint of heart! Again, congratulations!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found some other photo's thought you might like to see :

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great stuff.

What did the other horn measure just out of interest?

What specie of pig do they have in the area?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal