Hunters: myself and my wife Beverly
Guns: S&W Mdl 500 in .500
Merkel Dbl in .500 NE
Win Mdl 70 in .308 Win
Ammo: 385gr CoreLokt (handload) in S&W 500
475gr CEB Raptor (handload) in Merkel
165gr Fusion (factory) in Winchester
Species Taken: Lioness, Sable, gemsbok, warthog

This hunt was originally booked back in Feb 2013. Like the long wait for it to finally get here,
I've been delaying in getting this report out. Been a hectic work schedule, 4 weeks of in-laws living with us,
interrupted web connections, and Bev's back surgery (lumbar fusion).

Just before leaving for this trip, Louis contacted me and asked if I would mind another PH (Rulof) picking us up at the
airport and being with us for the start of the trip, the Kalahari hunt. Seems a neighbor and friend met with a broken
arm from being charged while feeding some new cape buffalo bulls and Louis was set to help him.
The trip to the Kalahari was long and uneventful, just like the flight into JoBerg, but we did break it up with an overnight
in the Guest House at Vryburg.

We spent 1.5 days in the Kalahari where I took my lioness and we tried unsuccessfully to get on gemsbok for Bev.
They just would not stay still long enough to allow her to get a comfortable shot.

Another long day of travel back to Louis' place and we were there in time for sundowners and good conversation at one of the many high towers.
The sunset and company was amazing.

Up the next morning and out for sable. After hours of them giving us the run around in the thick cover with bad winds, we finally bumped into one
just before dusk. I had a 60 yard hard quartering away shot with the Merkel and rocked him with the first shot. As he took off,
the group was in tow trying to get on him again. We managed a second shot at about the same distance as he was disappearing into heavier cover.
At that shot, he went down and was mine. Definitely the highlight of my trip as far as game taken.

Spent the next 2 days trying to get Bev a gemsbok. Rulof and Louis were most patient/accomodating and worked with her despite her not being able to
move\walk much. They understood her limitations as we knew she would be having back surgery when we got back home. Finally pulled off a 125 yard shot
and Bev had her first African game.

I thought this would be the highlight of her trip, and although excited, she said it was actually one of the evenings
riding around with Louis and spotting game that she enjoyed the most.

The following 2 days were spent trying to get on a waterbuck bull that Louis said would make top 10 SCI with a handgun. I could have shot him easily with a
rifle but wanted to try the S&W. It just wasn't meant to be as we spotted him 3 or 4 different occassions but never offering a pistol shot. I'm waiting to
hear what he actually scores if someone is lucky enough to take him. He was a stud! The last evening we were on the move and spotted a nice warthog at
about 125 yards. A quick 65 yard stalk and I was up on the sticks. He spotted us and moved in closer for a look. They say curiousity killed the cat...
in this case it was the warthog as he wondered into about 50 yards and gave me a full frontal. 10 yards and lots of dirt\dust flinging, I had my first
warthog as well. A big bodied, old hog with nice teeth.

For those interested in a quality hunt, I can highly recommend Louis and his crew. I think what Bev and I miss the most is the interaction, conversations
and great company. This was quite a memorable hunt, not only as far as the animals seen\taken, but for the friendships made as well.

Internet access giving me problems again. May post more pics later.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some nice trophies there!
Congratulations.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Louis is one of my best friends...great outfitter...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great pictures there, props for the handgun wartie.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics, thank you!

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phillip Smythe
posted Hide Post
Well done steve!

Awesome safari! Congrats!!

Subscribe to our Newsletter and follow us hunt to hunt -

http://mailchi.mp/eccf60046a6c/welcome-to-2018

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages...aris/286258951422383

PHOTO BLOG - https://instagram.com/ivorytrailsafaris/

Phillip Smythe
www.ivorytrailsafaris.com

16 Pendennis Rd,
Mount Pleasant
Harare
Zimbabwe

Cell - +263 772 413 618
email - phillip@ivorytrailsafaris.com

Posts: 252 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 21 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great stuff and good looking cat. Thanks for that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote