Find
Notify
Tools

70lb bull with Bow
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted
Just got word that a friend of mine killed a 70lb bull with a bow two days ago in Moz. I'll try to get some pictures up when he returns!

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Can't wait. What a feat.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Will be interested to see some pictures of it and get an actual report.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I hope he knows that Mozambique ivory is non-importable to the U.S. A 70 lbs bull is wonderful all the same.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I hope he knows that Mozambique ivory is non-importable to the U.S.

Who's to say he's not English, or Canadian, or Mexican, etc???
I'm fairly confident that if one is going to Moz on an archery bull ele hunt, he knew fully well that the ivory wasn't importable if he is a US citizen.

Can't wait to see the pics and hear the story!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
He's from Colorado and yes, I'm sure he knew the ivory wasn't importable. But then, that's not what's it really all about, right? Wink

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Well, since he's from CO and not English nor Canadian nor Mexican nor etc, as Scottyboy is so worried about, it is a shame that Mozambique-CITES-USF&W hasn't got the Ele import issues worked out.

The trophy may not be the most important part of the hunt, but I derive a good deal of pleasure knowing that my ivory will go to my children and grandchildren someday. Cool

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not worried about it in the least.. just pointing out the fact that is you're going elephant hunting in Moz, I'm sure that you'll know the rules and regs of that country...

And what's important to you may not be to the next guy.

Like I said, can't wait to see the pics and read the hunt report!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Cool! Can't wait to see it. WHere was he hunting?

Mozambique has some great Elephants! When I was in Moz in '02, I "found" these in the skinning shed.

Who wouldn't pose for a photo if you saw these tusks??? I sure did!

They were 84x73

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

Here is the ele shot in Zim witht the bow, frontal brain shot at 18 yards, drop to the shot, you can see the arrow's fletching sticking out.

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard stuff. Only one arrow in the brain? good job. congrats to your friend.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Woouh, wouh, wouh! Stop the bus. You shot an elephant with a bow on a frontal brain shot and hit the brain???? Are you just messing with me? I didn't even think that was in the realm of possibility. I'd love to shoot one with a bow some day, but a frontal brain shot? Come on.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
That is truly unbelievable! What a feat.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
That has got to be one really hard bow to pull back!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW, 458AUBS! Congrats!

That is not only the first elephant that I've seen a photo of that was actually killed by the arrow(s) alone, it is the first one done with an arrow and a brain shot!

How long are your arrows? Did you cut the head open to see how far into the brain the head went? If so, did it also exit the rear of the skull? What dort of head?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

Firstly it was not me who shot the ele, it was a client of mine, i will try and find out what the setup was and post the information.

Yes, one shot, frontal brain, 18 yards - you all can see what the penetration was like.

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458Aubs:
Hi Guys

Here is the ele shot in Zim witht the bow, frontal brain shot at 18 yards, drop to the shot, you can see the arrow's fletching sticking out.

IMO the angle of the arrow is somehow in conflict with the line to the brain...... I may be wrong, but judging the current angle,
the arrowhead would be pointing more towards the roof of the mouth than to the brain......again, I may be wrong.

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458Aubs:
Here is the ele shot in Zim witht the bow,

Was it in Mozambique or Zim?

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Was it in Mozambique or Zim?

What he said! Confused

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to hear the full story and see photos from some different angles. Many humans survive low energy penetrating brain injuries. I will have to see and hear more to get a better understanding of what has transpired here. Certainly is an intriguing picture.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What SGraves said.

I am skeptical of an arrow penetrating like that but will patiently wait for the details.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jshoney
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures to help visualize what that arrow had to get through.

The arrow had to first penetrate the inch thick skin, cut through the nasal cavity( 12- 20 inches?) and still have enough energy to break through a couple of inches of bone protecting the brain.

Posts: 146 | Location: Walburg, TX | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes one wonder what the anti 45-70 crowd can come up with to continue their bashing after seeing the penetration the shaft embedded above got!

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Absolutely impressive!!

I'm beginning to think my 450/400 will work!

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!"

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm still amazed! I can't wait to hear the story.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see it but its hard to believe. Want the details. one thing for sure there was a big gun backing him up

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Cool! Can't wait to see it. Where was he hunting?

Wendell, He's hunting in Mozambique but I don't know the specific area. Only recent info I have is second hand from his wife. He's called a couple of times on sat phone. They were tracking a big bull for a few days and got close but no shots. Not sure if the bull he killed is the same one or not but I'm sure he's pleased. He will be back this Sunday. The bull posted above is someone elses. Pretty amazing shot though!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
I see it but its hard to believe. Want the details. one thing for sure there was a big gun backing him up

killpc doesn't a big gun normally back up a "big gun"?

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
It will be interesting to hear the full story and see photos from some different angles. Many humans survive low energy penetrating brain injuries. I will have to see and hear more to get a better understanding of what has transpired here. Certainly is an intriguing picture.

Speculating only (others add if I missed anything):
1: 26" arrow with 1.5" long broad head
2. 2.5" fletching so maybe 9.5" to 8.5" of arrow is protruding?
3. penetration is therefore about 18 to 20" to tip of broadhead.

Allowing for some underestimation, I'll go with 21" penetration.... and someone could photoshop the location of the brain and an extention of the arrow.... Is that enough to reach the brain if the angle is right?

Who knows. The guy said he did it and I once , using a 56# longbow, shot a bull moose (not an elephant!) just in front of the diaphram when he jumped the string. The arrow went through a lung, a bunch of grassy guts, exited the stomach at the base of the penis, re-entered the left leg, broke the femur, kept going and stuck in the ground a few inches. Arrows can sometimes be just like the Eveready Bunny??? And, remember, even though it was totally FUBAR, in the video posted last week of the guy shooting the hippo a the boat actually got a bunch of penetration (albeit missing the brain).

I't will be fun to hear the details. The guy probably will dispell any questions and maybe he has a video? Unless he was just pulling his buddies, legs, I'd doubt anyone would be stupid enough to stage such a picture and subject themselves to internet infamy. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until disproven (and how the heck do you do that?)

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7536 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The archer in this photo is holding what appears to be a Bear Truth II set up with an overdraw an unless he had it special ordered the peak weight is maxed out at 80#. The trick to penetration with archery gear is the total weight of the launched shaft. Most of us use what amounts to a shaft inside of a shaft with a one piece two bladed broadhead design such as a Magnus when in pursuit of heavy dangerous game be it in Africa or North America.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twentynine inches is pretty standard for arrow length, which does add three inches to the penetration equation.

But I was comparing the photo to a mini-Blazer fletched arrow I have and based on comparing it to the photo, it appears there is six to seven inches of arrow protruding. Add to that 2.5 - 3 inches of broadhead, and you're looking at roughly 26 inches of penetration.

I don't think I'd be trying something like that! Eeker

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
If anyone knows the axle to axle length of the bow, they could figure out the arrow length plus/minus an inch?

Thanks for the correction on the penetration estimate. BTW, I've never shot a compound and didn't know that such long arrows were shot in them. My draw in the bows I built was much shorter shooting instinctively.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7536 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does indeed look like a Bear Truth II bow, and if that's the case, that bow is 33 inches axle to axle.

So my guess, based on rough estimates, he's probably shooting 30 inch arrows, which again is a fairly common arrow length for compound shooters.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
Here's a theory for you. They did a frontal brain shot with a 500 NE and then stuck the arrow in the hole????

The law of physics and anatomy don't lie. I am sorry I am just having a hard time buying this tale.

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

shouldn't you be packing?

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to read what his set up is. Judging by the release strapped to his right wrist an the lenght of his arms from the picture I doubt his draw lenght is in excess of 30" and more apt to be 28-29". Even with an anchor point under his chin he'd have a bugger of a time drawing a 30" arrow with the rig he's pictured with.
My heavy big game rig is 65# peak shooting a 450 grain shaft @ 28" and with it I've shot thru a broadside 2000# bull bison. Not 20+" of skull and skull tissue but two large bison shoulder blades and 18" of muscle never seeing the shaft again. I have little doubt that an 85#/550 grain combo could produce the results in the picture with this thread.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Tim Burkhart:
Here's a theory for you. They did a frontal brain shot with a 500 NE and then stuck the arrow in the hole????

The law of physics and anatomy don't lie. I am sorry I am just having a hard time buying this tale.

It crossed my mind...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Tim Burkhart:

It crossed my mind...

Oh come on now! You two really think that a fellow hunter would twist a hunting tale even in the slightest? Especially on the internet?

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys need to avoid threads dealing with archery. You may know enough about guns to buffalo your way through some topics but when you start to discuss archery your ignorance is very apparent to anyone who has even remedial knowledge of the subject.

Is this photo a hoax? I honestly don't know. Was there a back-up rifle in attendance? Most likely as no country in Africa allows elephant hunting by hunters (bow or rifle)without one. Is it possible that this guy has accomplished what he says he did? Absolutely!

Do us archers a favor and stay away from the bowhunting threads if you are anti-archery. We don't need the criticism and don't enjoy your company.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm still patiently waiting for the details on this one. As stated I'd love to shoot one with a bow, but I never considered the idea of a brain shot.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson