New
Find
Notify
Tools

70lb bull with Bow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welp, this thread did it!! I'm saving about 20 grand for a double gun and buying a bow!

Posts: 48 | Location: About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23) | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
I don't bowhunt so this opinion is what it is.

If the details as presented are accurate (and I have no reason to doubt it) then this was an impressive feat. Certainly not what I though was in the realm of possibility.

One thing that did bother me a bit was the apparent 1 inch of brain penetration. Apparently enough to do the job but certainly not a huge margin of error in that shot. So many variables could have easily eaten that inch up.

This sort of ranks up there with trying to brain a grizzly with a .22. Sure, it may be possible. But just because it can be done should it?

How many others are going to try to do the same and wind up with an elephant with a stick in its face but not enough damage for a clean kill (backup shot not withstanding)?

Impressive accomplishment. Not my cup of tea.

Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This sort of ranks up there with trying to brain a grizzly with a .22. Sure, it may be possible. But just because it can be done should it?

Been done Alberta record was killed with a single shot Cooey.

Posts: 68 | Location: Camrose Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shot a bull moose in northern quebec years ago, way before bowhunting became widely popular.

Most older hunters did not believe a moose could be killed with a bow & arrow.

When I shot the moose, he was standing broadside at around 20 yards and I was shooting from a treestand maybe 15 feet from the ground.

I saw my arrow disappear right behind his front shoulder with only the fletching still visible. the moose fell to the ground and my arrow came out pointing almost 90 degrees from the initial trajectory... Why ? because the moose, when falling down, broke the arrow shaft and the entry wound was large enough to let the arrow shaft move creating the illusion i had shot the bull while he stood right under my treestand.

I dont know anything about hunting in africa, but judging the veracity of a bow kill based on a single picture could be misleading.

Posts: 12 | Location: Montreal, PQ | Registered: 30 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that no crow should be served or eaten until the video is presented.

Let's hope the details are accurate and "conclusive video evidence" will verify an amazing achievement.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't been on AC in awhile, but this is a very interesting story that I had to read about. I have no doubt that a bow can penetrate that far through bone. As for the picture, you cannot tell at what angle the arrow entered the bull. Live animals are different than dead animals. I shot a Kudu with a bow through the rib cage; the arrow was stopped by the offside leg. When the Kudu was recovered 60 yards away, the broadhead was actually in the pelvic area, but it had cut its way through the body cavity from the left front leg. The skinner commented afterwards that he never wanted to be shot with an arrow because the damage was so much worse than a bullet.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote