New
Find
Notify
Tools

70lb bull with Bow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have info that another of our posters here on AR is scheduled to bowhunt elephant and he tells me his PH WANTS him to try a brain shot as well.They have hunted together previously and the PH was the first to suggest it might be possible to accomplish.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I would certainly have blown that shot with either a bullet or an arrow because that angle looks to me like it's at least a foot below the brain, assuming that arrow isn't bent sharply up.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9559 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I recall the actual story, if it's the same one, the brain shot was not intended but the bull had bluff charged a few times and when it looked as if the charged might be legit the PH instructed the client to take the frontal brain shot or he was sure he'd have to stop a charge with his rifle. Depending on the angle of the head the shot could easliy hit the brain but it does looks odd from the angle of the photo. Properly equipped, most bowhunters will achieve pass thrus on elephant from the broadside so making a brain shot on an elephant with an arrow is not that big a trick. Bows today will shoot thru almost any game animal and even a common deer hunting rig at 75 pounds will shoot an arrow completely thru a five gallon bucket of sand. A 1000 grain projectile sporting a razor sharp broadhead and with sufficient momentum is hard to stop.

Posts: 149 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Would love to see the skull with the hole to see an arrow stuck in the hole for reference...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Tim Burkhart:
Here's a theory for you. They did a frontal brain shot with a 500 NE and then stuck the arrow in the hole????

The law of physics and anatomy don't lie. I am sorry I am just having a hard time buying this tale.

That would of course be the Tink Nathan School of Bow Hunting. At least in Australia.

He would have to have Video before I beleive it.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
Well, I would certainly have blown that shot with either a bullet or an arrow because that angle looks to me like it's at least a foot below the brain, assuming that arrow isn't bent sharply up.

Thank You !

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do us (all) a favor and stay away from the bowhunting threads if you are anti-archery. We don't need the criticism and don't enjoy your company.

Well put, Eyedoc!

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DAL:
Do us (all) a favor and stay away from the bowhunting threads if you are anti-archery. We don't need the criticism and don't enjoy your company.

Well put, Eyedoc!

I am not sure this has anything to do with "anti archery".

I certainly have nothing against archery, due my absolute lack of knowldge of it.

But, it does seem hard - at least for me - to believe what has been stated about this hunt.

I have been hunting long enough to realize that sometimes crazy things happen during a hunt, and no matter how I try to look at them , they still seem very unlikeky even to me.

I am keeping an open mind, and would love to see the video of this hunt

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with a few of the earlier posters

If you extrapolate what one can see of the arrow to where the arrow head would be, it is NOWHERE near the brain cavity, in fact greater than a foot away.

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of the bull my friend killed in Mozambique. Unfortunately he had to use a rifle but still a very nice bull. His PH is going to hold onto the ivory for him and perhaps he will be able to import it to the US eventually.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DAMN, what a bull!!

Thanks for sharing the pics with us..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
My quess is the head was an Ashby or Silver Flame.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying this hunter did or did not brain the elephant with his bow. In fact, I hope he did - what a story.

In talking to PHs that bowhunt elephant, they say there is a 50/50 chance of getting past the ribs on an elephant. If you get the arrow between two ribs, then you're likely to reach the vitals.

If you hit a rib, they say the arrow won't get enought penetration, and the PHs will have to finish off the elephant with a rifle.

I just can't imagine how an arrow that won't penetrate a single rib can penetrate the skull. Maybe I'm wrong.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I saw this photo a couple of weeks before it was posted here. It was sent to me by a European friend.

I will say here what I said to him: Not possible.

There are bullet holes in that elephant somewhere, and on that I would wager a fair sum.

Of course, I am willing to be proved wrong.

But that photo would be Exhibit A for the prosecution, and not for the defense.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mrlexma, I have a $100 bill that says my 90# compound and 850 gr arrow will out penetrate a 450gr .458 Lott every time.
Of course I'm shading my wager as I have both and have done so several times.
Defense rests!

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
mrlexma, I have a $100 bill that says my 90# compound and 850 gr arrow will out penetrate a 450gr .458 Lott every time.
Defense rests!

I'd make sure I chose the medium before I took that bet (on either side). Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Defense rests!

If you're shooting solids in the Lott and the medium is plywood throughout its depth, I'd take that bet--and pay an extra $20 if you can show it on video.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:
Here's a pic of the bull my friend killed in Mozambique. Unfortunately he had to use a rifle but still a very nice bull. His PH is going to hold onto the ivory for him and perhaps he will be able to import it to the US eventually.

DC

Any details on the area, outfitter, professional hunter, calibre, brain or body shot?

Thanks

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:
Some of you guys need to avoid threads dealing with archery. You may know enough about guns to buffalo your way through some topics but when you start to discuss archery your ignorance is very apparent to anyone who has even remedial knowledge of the subject.

Is this photo a hoax? I honestly don't know. Was there a back-up rifle in attendance? Most likely as no country in Africa allows elephant hunting by hunters (bow or rifle)without one. Is it possible that this guy has accomplished what he says he did? Absolutely!

Do us archers a favor and stay away from the bowhunting threads if you are anti-archery. We don't need the criticism and don't enjoy your company.

X2

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Good to see Eyedoc at his best Smiler

Tony used a custom 98#Darton bow with custom speed cams. The shortest Darton bow is 33' axle to axle (could also be 37 or even 39 1/8")
Following Judge smart reasoning, the arrow is at least 34"long and consequently the penetration is a tad over 24 inches. That does the trick.
Easton FMJ Dangerous game shaft
180 gr Silver flame Broad Head.
arrow weight 866gr
speed > 252 fps
KE : 114.69

Very neat exploit.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jbderunz thanks for putting that info up, i was battling to find the information on my pc and gave up after a while.

Guys the chat who shot the ele with bow is a client of mine(i do air charters, and not hunts Wink) he was backed up by a PH and the hunt took place in Sengwe 1 in S.E. Zimbabwe the area has some awesome ele and i know that on Monday this week a client took a 100 pounder there. i am waiting for his go ahead and will publish the full story. He has taken all of the Big 7 with his bow, so the guy knows his oats and as for the story behind this hunt, shit i was not there i purely go off what i was told and showed.

Thanks

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big 7

??????????

Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Buffalo, Rhino, Hippo, and Duiker??? This is getting out of hand.

Seriously though I'm looking forward to seeing pics and hearing the story behind the 100 pounder!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally know of one particular client who has shot Elephant, Buffalo, Lion, Leopard,and other lesser species of game with a bow.
He also shot a croc (11ft) which he was fortunate enough to have found wallowing in a pond and transformed it into a pincushion. Had it been in a river or lake it would have been highly unlikely that he would have secured his trophy.
The Elephant was shot twice broadside, once just above the heart and the other higher in the lungs. It took off on the first arrow taken at 20 yds, went 20yds and stopped before collecting the second which sent it running for another 50/60 yds before keeling over.
PH had no need to assist.
All other game taken from a blind, shooting at his quarry when it came within range (20 yds).
I will concede that Robin Hood had nothing on him where accuracy is concerned!

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Defense rests!

I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight, but you mean this will stop a .458 bullet at 2300, but it won't stop an arrow?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless that elephant was carrying his brain in his mouth, looks to me like that was more of a tongue shot.

Posts: 52 | Location: NC | Registered: 07 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel_Klink:
Unless that elephant was carrying his brain in his mouth, looks to me like that was more of a tongue shot.

Thank You CK - It was what I had suggested several posts back!

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think Nancy Pelosi wishes that she'd taken a "tongue shot" a few months ago.

The angle does look low, but I'll bet that there are other pictures that will be more despositive. Can't wait to hear from the shooter and/or the P.H.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:
Defense rests!

I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight, but you mean this will stop a .458 bullet at 2300, but it won't stop an arrow?

Eeker clap rotflmo dancing jumping

Another episode of coffee spewed on the keyboard. Thank you New Guy, for the hearty laugh. You've made my day!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
My thought is perhaps the ele was first shot thru the lungs and was only finished after being down by the head shot.
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No fucking way that is a real brain shot.

Posts: 41 | Location: southern Cal. | Registered: 08 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I have asked the lucky hunter to post on this forum. This way he'll clear all the questions about one of the most sensational accomplishments regarding ele and bowhunting.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
1: 26" arrow with 1.5" long broad head

They look more like 36 inches.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19306 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mamba, is it necessary to use profanity? Youngsters, mine included visit this site and there is no need for that. thumbdown

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That four letter word is probably the most used by the young generation today - our younger days are long gone - the word "Hell" or "Shit" was frowned upon let alone F..K ! - We would have been hung, drawn and quartered!
Don't be so naive or narrow-minded Capt. times have changed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kibokolambogo:
That four letter word is probably the most used by the young generation today - our younger days are long gone - the word "Hell" or "Shit" was frowned upon let alone F..K ! - We would have been hung, drawn and quartered!

Times may have changed, but that doesn't mean it has to be accepted. Is profanity used more today? Certainly. Does it have to be? No, especially when there is a chance that children might be exposed.

I am by no means a prude, or even remotely considered "PC," but I agree with CaptMike and feel there was no need to drop the F Bomb in this (or any other) thread.

Naivety or narrow-mindedness has nothing to do with CaptMike's concern. It is simply courtesy to the other readers. But I guess common courtesy and common sense aren't so common anymore....

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shof:
quote:
Originally posted by kibokolambogo:

Times may have changed, but that doesn't mean it has to be accepted. Is profanity used more today? Certainly. Does it have to be? No, especially when there is a chance that children might be exposed.

I am by no means a prude, or even remotely considered "PC," but I agree with CaptMike and feel there was no need to drop the F Bomb in this (or any other) thread.

Naivety or narrow-mindedness has nothing to do with CaptMike's concern. It is simply courtesy to the other readers. But I guess common courtesy and common sense aren't so common anymore....

+1

Mike

Posts: 21210 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Defense rests!

My archery DG outfit won't as much as slow down on one Block, I get an average of 34" in wet sand.
Like someone said earlier...some of you have no clue about archery gear and you'sd do yourselves justice to bite your tongue.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Defense rests!

My archery DG outfit won't as much as slow down on one Block, I get an average of 34" in wet sand.
Like someone said earlier...some of you have no clue about archery gear and you'd do yourselves justice to bite your tongue.
An I agree if you must use profanity to make your point then you don't have much of a point to begin with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't ask me how those postings happened but you get the gist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kiboko, I am far from a prude but I can say my teenagers do not use profanity. By accepting that type of behavior you become part of the problem.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote