ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    ZAMBIA - First Country Visit and Sensational Safari

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ZAMBIA - First Country Visit and Sensational Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted
Dates Hunted: August 24 thru Sept 5, 2020

Location: Kasonso, Northern Zambia ( NW corner of Kafue National Park)

Animals Harvested: Zambezi Sitatunga, Sable, Yellow-Backed Duiker, Lichtensteins Hartebeest, Crocodile, Defassa Waterbuck, Common Reedbuck, Blue Duiker, Oribi, Warthog, Kafue Lechwe, Chobe Bushbuck, Puku, Red Lechwe, Cape Buffalo

Dak416 (Hunting companion): Sitatunga, Sable, Roan, Puku, Cape Buffalo, Kafue Lechwe, Impala, Lichtenstein Hartebeest, Blue Duiker, Oribi, Common Reedbuck, Chobe Bushbuck, Defassa Waterbuck

Weapons: Cooper .340 Weatherby
Dak416: Dakota 76 300 Win Mag, Dakota 76 416 Rigby

Outfitter: Muchinga Adventures LTD

PHs: Johnnie du Plooy and Fico

Dictated for my Father:

Our visit to Zambia was 5 years in the planning. My dear friend, Stephan Jacobs of SMJ Safaris in Namibia, and I had discussed the idea of Zambia as a concept to sample a visit to this great area. The Kafue area and National parks and game management areas were discussed as a safari destination with possibilities for species were new. Dak416, a partner on multiple safaris, was ready and open to explore the new area with me.

Stephan arranged the best safari company he could recommend. John du Plooy and his Muchinga Adventures LTD was contracted with the plan. Stephan and MV were to join us but COVID was the wild card and disrupted this plan.

Myself and Dak416 had a great experience in planning, many curveballs and more paperwork than any safari in 22 years. We had to abandon the Delta 200 as it was cancelled and rerouted with Ethiopian Airlines, which was a great service.

The pandemic was not going to stop our safari and refused to let stop us from jumping additional hurdles including COVID testing and health letters. I refused to let the long standing plans be cancelled for a political virus where malaria was a much greater real risk and not a reason to cancel.

We travelled with Ethiopian Airlines out of an eerily empty Washington Dulles from our home base in South Dakota.

Laura and John du Plooy were instrumental in making us know what forms and applications, visa, health letter, COVID testing etc were all ready.

Our arrival in Lusaka via Addis Ababa was very pleasant. In transit in Addis Ababa they require the hunter to go to luggage and open gun cases. The employees were very helpful in the process that seemed redundant on just a transit status. On arrival, Luverne was our expeditor on clearance and delivery to the guest house.

Our first chapter, was a visit to the Kafue flats for Kafue Lechwe. John du Plooy and Billy guided us to the legendary Kafue flats for a day hunt and return to the guest house.

We then travelled Northwest to the NW corner of the Kafue National Park to start our safari. We met Fico who would be my PH for the duration of the safari. Johnny du Plooy guided Dak416. What happens over the next 10 days resulted in some unbelievable trophies.

The ability of our guides to find and judge good quality trophies was much appreciated.

The excitement grew each day and the next day exceeded our expectations over and over. The hunt peaked with a roan for Dak416 and a Yellow-backed Duiker for myself.

Sable were present in herds of 50-60 head in each group, the buffalo were plentiful with big dugga boys and challenging tracking. The variety and intensity of this safari will always be cherished. Laura and John du Plooy were above and beyond to make our safari a huge success. My friend Stephan was unable to join us but set us up with great and honest professional hunters and their operation.

The safari industry in needing all of us to plan and travel. We need to support them to keep our great conservation tradition alive. The anti-poaching efforts and success of their efforts need our willingness and determination to make it happen.

Covid is a viral illness that has muzzled "masked" us and we need to peel it back and go on safari.

"Make Safaris Great Again"

Dak416 Trophies: Where in the world can you get 2 trophy horse antelope in one trip in the wild!

Trump coin was my lucky talisman that brought incredible luck! I left it with Carlo, the area owner, to keep it great!

I can not thank Fico enough for a sensational lifetime safari!

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man! I have to do that!I

Great trophies and report!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done on the yellow backed duiker. I think that's the first one taken by a sport hunter in Zambia in more than a decade--and maybe closer to 20 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with Johnnie du Plooy in Zambia.
Awesome Safari
Congrats

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
edholum,

I was privileged to follow along on your safari through Laura duPlooy and WhatsApp. Kasonso is a fabulous area and you guys did incredibly well. Big sable, bushbuck, puku, sitatunga, Kafue Lechwe, Crawshay's waterbuck and a boomer yellow back duiker plus everything else. Wow! OH! The 15' croc deserves mention also. Well Done!!!!!!!!!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12860 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is the most insanely impressive bunch of trophies i have ever seen, thank you for posting and Congrat's to you and all who made it happen!!

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Fantastic safari, thanks for the report. Hell I didn't even know they had Yellow Backed duiker in Zambia and I have made two safaris there!

And Fico Vidale is a great guy and PH. I enjoyed hunting with him as well...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fantastic safari! I’m glad to see that at least a few people are getting out to Africa during these difficult times.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Done and some very nice trophies!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Very well done!

Posts: 10573 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is ZAMBIA!! Congrats to all involved and thanks to the Cuturi’s for their significant investment in their areas!

Posts: 1859 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Absolutly fantastic hunt in Zambia there, with proper great trophies, no need to sit way back with those, proper Croc to !

Yellow Backed Duiker, Sitatunga, too many great animals to mention !!

Thank you for posting !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible Safaris with outstanding animals!!!

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Supposed to fly Ethiopian next Sunday. PM'd you with some questions.

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations - so good to see a new safari report!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Wow nice trophies. You guys cleaned up!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there any other places, besides rainforests, where you even have a chance at a yellow-backed duiker? Are they found in the blocks in Cameroon where they hunt Lord Derby Elands?
Very cool set of trophies!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible number of trophies for a 2 week hunt! Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Excellent hunt and good to see Kasonso come good. The Yellow Back is a brute and very rare nowadays.

A terrific set of trophies for one hunt.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great stuff. Huge congrats.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Can you give more details on the YB duiker? Were you actively hunting them or did you spot it whilst hunting?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Incredible safari. Congratulations.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RickyClark
posted Hide Post
Its so nice to see a hunting report, and what a report! incredible safari congrats

lets make a plan

Posts: 98 | Location: England | Registered: 29 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Can you give more details on the YB duiker? Were you actively hunting them or did you spot it whilst hunting?

Yellow-backed duiker was on the original species list with a trophy fee associated with it, so the assumption was it was doable. Had no idea one had not been shot in decades in Zambia so naturally it was on the 'wish list' way before the safari ever started. I remember WhatsApp questioning dad and asking about if he had seen a YB duiker or if they were going to make a special hunt for them. His response was "Rare as hen's teeth, one has not been shot in many years so chances are basically zero."

So when I got a picture of one, my jaw hit the floor. They were not actively hunting a YB duiker at the time, from the sounds of it, it was a complete right place right time situation that was capitalized on.

To answer a question earlier about YB duiker about distribution and where there is a chance for one, I really have no clue. I like the African Game Animals book from safari press. Gives me an idea of distribution and subspecies etc. This one was the "Angolan subspecies". Attached a few pics.

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by edholum:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Yellow-backed duiker was on the original species list with a trophy fee associated with it, so the assumption was it was doable. Had no idea one had not been shot in decades in Zambia so naturally it was on the 'wish list' way before the safari ever started. I remember WhatsApp questioning dad and asking about if he had seen a YB duiker or if they were going to make a special hunt for them. His response was "Rare as hen's teeth, one has not been shot in many years so chances are basically zero."

So when I got a picture of one, my jaw hit the floor. They were not actively hunting a YB duiker at the time, from the sounds of it, it was a complete right place right time situation that was capitalized on.

To answer a question earlier about YB duiker about distribution and where there is a chance for one, I really have no clue. I like the African Game Animals book from safari press. Gives me an idea of distribution and subspecies etc. This one was the "Angolan subspecies". Attached a few pics.

Cool. Thanks.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The duiker information is interesting - I had no idea they got that big (body-size-wise).

________

They are one of the four giant duikers, the other three being bay, Jentink's, and Abbott's. If you are ever in Arusha, Tanzania, there is a funny little natural history museum that has a mount of an Abbott's duiker, which is essentially a yellow backed duiker without a yellow back. There is a trail cam picture out there of one with a frog in its mouth.

Not to diverge too much from the original thread. The taking of the YBD is huge news.

One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
Well done on the yellow backed duiker. I think that's the first one taken by a sport hunter in Zambia in more than a decade--and maybe closer to 20 years.

The outfit green scored the Yellow-Backed Duiker today at exactly 20" 0/16. This puts it at #2 in the Zambian records for what we have, which goes up to 2012. Haven't looked at the online version. It is the first one that would be added since 1991 (29 years!) My dad is feeling super blessed!

Huge Thank You to Fico Vidale!

One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Very good hunt! Well done to all involved.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:

The outfit green scored the Yellow-Backed Duiker today at exactly 20" 0/16. This puts it at #2 in the Zambian records for what we have, which goes up to 2012. Haven't looked at the online version. It is the first one that would be added since 1991 (29 years!) My dad is feeling super blessed!

Huge Thank You to Fico Vidale!

That was a bull of note. Some of the entries are females.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations ED, super safari. I didn't realize they had YB in Zambia!

My clients shot 3 last year in Cameroon in one of the few concessions that have them there on licence.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Dak416 was going thru the archives and found this great post by Andrew (fairgame) and thought it was a great post that means so much more now that they have been there and lived it. It truly was everything described! Ntengu Safaris investment is truly paying off!

Kasonso Revival

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dak416 was going thru the archives and found this great post by Andrew (fairgame) and thought it was a great post that means so much more now that they have been there and lived it. It truly was everything described! Ntengu Safaris investment is truly paying off!

Great conservation success story!!

Did you see much in the way of elephant and lion?

Kasonso Revival

Posts: 1859 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Yes and Yes. Both are doing well. Chased off by elephants often. As far as quota and availability in hunting area, you will have to contact outfitter.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Excellent Safari well done to all.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well done on all accounts but especially on succeeding in spite of Covid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:

Great conservation success story!!

Did you see much in the way of elephant and lion?

Kasonso Revival

The link you provided for the Kasonso was my safari with Andrew. Ours was quite a memorable hunt, with much excitement! We did well, but you knocked it out of the park. What an amazing bag, and diverse set of trophies.

Congratulations. Extremely well done!!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding trophies and some real bruisers! Congratulations on a great hunt!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote