New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mozambique Crocodile Hunt!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After having shot a 12' croc many years ago in Chewore North, I have always wanted to shoot a bigger croc.

I researched this carefully and decided on Mozambique as a good place. I booked my hunt with Grant Taylor who I also work with. Grant has been operating in Moz for 16 years and has 7 different concessions all over the country. He offers croc and hippo hunts on the Zambezi as well as on Lake Cahorra Bassa (where I hunted). My PH was Richard Kok who is very passionate about hunting croc and has shot many many big ones in the 16' + range also with clients. Cahorra Bassa is like an inland sea and Grants area has about 60kms of shore line swith many islands and inlets to hunt.

The weather was not ideal as a cold front came through and it was actually windy and cloudy most of the week I was there!

On day 2 I shot a very old crocodile which was a bit of a local legend which measured 15' 1" to be exact. I won't get in to the story of the legend here as it may be written about in an outdoor magazine and they requested me not to post it elsewhere. But it was an 80 yard shot, behind the smile with a 375 H&H, using Barnes 250 grain bullets.

I absolutely HATE animals posed to look bigger then they are which seems to be the all to common practice these days even by well known PHs! So here is me as a reference with this brute! It truly is one of my best best trophies aged at 90-100 years old. I am very humbled to have shot such an animal. What sights it must have seen in its life time! Having swum those waters even before Lake Cahora Bassa came in to being!

The fishermen were quite happy to be rid of this well known monster and refused to eat it as it had eaten a few of them in his time!

Crocodile bait! The local fishermen are fearless or foolhardy! Recently a croc grabbed one of them and was seen swimming around with the man in its mouth showing off its meal! Most of these big crocs are all man eaters and many big crocs they shoot have human remains inside them. They showed me some of these photos and they are pretty grusome to say the least! Both the crocs I shot had strands of fishing net and stones in their stomach which they swallow for digestion. The 2nd croc had broken glass pieces of a beer bottle, perhaps somoene didnt get to finish his beer!

Setting up for the shot!

After this we started to look for one even bigger! While chatting Richard told me about another croc which was a bit of a troublemaker and had eaten the lodge onwner's dog where we were staying and he would often follow their boats etc. They had been trying to shoot this particular for some years and infact a few weeks prior the lodge owner's son had taken a shot at it. Later we saw where the bullet had grazed its back! He would often be seen sunning itself on a small rock in a large bay next to the lodge. On afternoon they called us to say it was out on the rock and we went to look. From the shore the closest shot was 280 yards so we decided to pass, but for sure it looked like a good croc.

This is him on the rock.

The next days passed looking for other crocs and doing some fishing, but for one reason or the other we kept passing other crocs. The pressure was off as I had already shot the croc of my dreams so we were just having fun.

One afternoon while we were riding around the guys from the lodge called us to say that the croc was out again on the rock! At this point I was feeling pretty cocky with myself and decided that I would shoot this croc from the boat as that was the only shot other than the 280 yard shot from the shore! The boat driver said that the croc was used to boat's going past around 50 yards or so but the shot would have to be taken from the moving boat because if he stopped the boat, it would jump in to the water.

I set up for the shot, using the raised center structure of the boat with a couple of jackets as a rest and with my right arm resting on the game scout and away we went! I asked if we could do a dry run, but Richard said it was just one attempt and I promised him that I wouldnt shoot if I wasnt sure of making the shot. As we approached Richard kept calling off the distance, 300 yards 200 yards 150 yards and then finally down to its on the rock just after the clump of grass!

As we came abreast I let him have it. CLICK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhQiXSsWHQ TO SEE THE VIDEO !

The croc went in to the water and needed a couple of finishers but we got him. It measured just under 14', but it was a great experience.

I will probably never shoot another croc but I can truly say that shooting a big croc is an amazing hunt! It requires hunting with the right PH in the right location and the hunt itself very exciting and finally the shot requires very accurate shot placement.

If anyone is looking for a big Crocodile give me a shout out and I will be happy to make the connection. This hunt can also be combined with Hippo, leopard and just about anything else your heart desires within reason Smiler.

Thanks for your time.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Arjun!

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Nice report, Arjun, congratulations on an interesting hunt and a couple excellent crocs. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Report Arjun!

A very interesting read!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
TWO AWESOME CROCS!! You're the man Arjun!!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job!

So are you now honorary village chief for ridding them of these two menaces?

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dinosaurs..!

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome Crocs- Great guys you went with well done!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arjun,

Crocs and hyenas are probably the most underrated trophies in Africa. Both are super wary! Great job and good shooting.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crocs and hyenas are probably the most underrated trophies in Africa

That is a great point and I agree 100%!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+2! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Great show Smiler

Good Hunting
carl Frederik

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting and video.
Many thanks for sharing this with us.

Monster lizards.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Excellent ! Congrats.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Those aren't crocs; those are bloody dinosaurs!

Congratulations!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting and awesome crocs!

Spending some time paddling remote rivers with crocs, it is one of the few animals that really unsettles me on a primal level.

Paddling in your 9’ kayak with a trail of bubbles parallelling the boat you really start wondering WTF is really down there...

Thank you for posting.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote