ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Dande North with CM Safaris May 2010
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dande North with CM Safaris May 2010
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dates; 06.05.10 – 23.05.10
Area ; Dande North Safari Area & Dande East Communal area, Zimbabwe.
Outfitter; Charlton McCallum Safaris
PH; Buzz Charlton
Video; Justin Drainer
Rifles; Krieghoff 470 NE Double, Winchester 375 H&H
Bullets; Federal factory load 500gn Woodleigh solid,
Remington factory load 300gn Swift A frame.
Hunt; 14 day Elephant Bull, Buffalo Bull.

This was the fourth consecutive year hunting with CM Safaris.
During that time I have tried various travel routes and schedules and I am now happy that I have “a plan” that suits me.
I flew from London on the direct BA flight to Lusaka Zambia and then an half hour charter into Kariba to clear Zim customs followed by another half hour hop into the camp air strip. From leaving London to arriving in camp was exactly fifteen and a half hours. This route is by far the shortest and quickest into the Zambezi valley, but (and there is usually a but) the only problem is in obtaining a firearms transit document through Lusaka. On this occasion a friendly Zambian outfitter very kindly offered to provide the service as a “one off” favour, but I am sure that very shortly someone will provide this service on a regular basis and I am currently working on it for next year.

In the past I have always been in a rush to start hunting, but I have now learned that it is far more advisable to build in some spare time before the hunt to acclimatise and also to cover for any loss of luggage. The two outfitters who I met on this trip confirmed that currently three out of five hunters travelling through Johannesburg arrive minus some luggage.
On my previous three safaris my wife joined me, but this year she couldn’t make it so a long standing game keeper friend called Des Jenking came along as an observer to see how the Zim boys did it.
We arrived at the airstrip at Pedza Pasi at 10.30am to be welcomed by Buzz and the crew, but the welcomes were short lived as Buzz asked to be excused as he retreated to his bed to finish recovering from a bout of Malaria. I have never before experienced anyone with this illness, but there were quite a few cases in the area while we were there and it certainly gave me a jolt into taking my Malarone tablets more seriously.

Pedza Camp
[IMG]

http://i200.photobucket.com/al...nde2010143.jpg[/IMG]
CM runs three camps in their area and whilst they vary in size and location they are all of a rendered brick construction under a thatch roof with the usual ensuite facilities and comfortable beds. The menus are varied and the food excellent. In fact I managed to put on five pounds while as was there even with all the walking.

Day 1

Fearless cameraman Justin Drainer ( and if you think that description to be over the top just watch some of CM’s videos) drove us to the Zambezi and guided us on our first ever days tiger fishing. I am a keen fisherman and have always wanted to try for tigers.
On the journey we passed the villages on the edge of Kanyemba that had only recently experienced the man eating lion problem that had seen six people lose their lives. It was difficult to imagine what these people had been through when you saw the lines of happy laughing children walking through the bush on their way to school. During the lion problem they had all been locked in their huts from 4pm every night.
Zim kids always seem to be happy and It makes me angry when I see the way in which they proudly wear their well pressed school uniforms. It makes me angry because their parents have nothing and yet are forced to buy them uniforms before they have the privilege of paying for them to attend school. It has always amazed me how the local people can appear from a one room mud hut looking so smart and clean. When I rule the world all of our kids in the UK will be forced to live alongside these Zim kids for a week and then dared to complain about the choice of food at dinner or the lack of designer label on their Christmas present.

We took the boat from Buzz’s fishing camp near the Mozambique border and motored up river into the Maputa gorge. My favourite hunting book is Ian Nyschens’ Months Of The Sun and this boat ride was turning out to be an adventure in itself as I remembered all the references to this area and all the skulduggery that Nyschens got up to.
The river was very high after the recent unusually heavy rains and some of the fishing camps that we passed were flooded to a depth of several feet.
We caught bait fish in a slow back eddy and I landed my first ever tiger on a bit of worm meant for a chessa. It was only about a pound, but I was on the score sheet.
Further up the gorge we bottom fished fish strips in one of the many big back washes that the river created as it rushed between the cliffs on its way to Cahora Bassa and Mozambique. As well as the correct fishing methods for tiger I also learned that it is compulsory to drink beer regularly when on such trips.
The day ended with several tigers landed included an 11pounder.
We motored back past pods of hippos and the occasional croc as the sun was setting on the “Red cliffs”.

11lb Tiger Fish

The Red Cliffs on the Zim side

Nearing camp in the dark we passed through a thick jess block and as we came around a corner the headlights were suddenly full with something blocking the road. I was half a sleep after our day on the water and it took me a few seconds to recognise the big blond male lion that was standing broadside. He slowly walked into the cover and stopped. Justin drove up alongside and casually said “oh look he’s still here” The lion was about four feet from my open window looking back over his shoulder and I don’t know whether it was me or the guys on the back who suggested that Justin - “ move the fucking truck !!!! ”

What a start to a trip !!

Day 2

At breakfast Buzz admitted to eighty percent fitness and an eagerness to transfer to their Karunga camp in the eastern communal area to see if any big ele bulls had come in from Mozambique. He said that it was well worth the time as there had been some good movement there earlier in the season. We would give it a couple of days and if there was nothing doing we would high tail it back to Dande North.
The journey took about two hours and we passed through the town of Mishumbi Pools where we collected our game scout. The redundant line of telegraph poles that we passed along the roadside were testament to the town having once been a thriving hub for the area. The only remnants now of the telephone lines that they once carried were the short curled pieces attached to the top cross member that were obviously not considered long enough to utilise as a snare.
We were met at Karunga camp by Mike the apprentice PH. Mike is quite unique amongst “appis”. Unique, because apart from being six feet nine inches tall, in the past few months he has been called upon by the locals to shoot more problem animals than most qualified PH’s see in a lifetime. His score to date is one crop raiding ele bull, two man eating crocs and a cattle eating lioness. He wasn’t complaining !

Day 3

First hunting day.
We drive the roads and check the water sources for tracks. At one big pan Justin shows us the signs were the full circumference had once been snared. No game could have come to drink without being caught. The snares are long gone and the anti poaching patrols set up by CM make regular circuits to ensure that they don’t return and that the game in the area is protected.

Elephant bull tracks prove elusive, but we get a call from the local council asking for help following more cattle killing by the same group of lions that Mike the appi had assaulted some days earlier. Their score at that stage amongst the villages was about thirty goats and six cows and there was growing concern that it would only be a matter of time before they came across an easy human victim and resorted to man eating. Their own game scouts were reluctant to get involved after one of their number became a statistic of the last group of man eaters at Kanyemba. The story as told to me was that three council scouts had shot one of the man eating group some days earlier and were now following the tracks of the rest when the last in line walking along a path was pounced on by one of the lions. The other two scouts ran and then came back later firing their rifles in the air only to find their colleague part eaten.
When the first of the lions had been shot the local “spirit medium” demanded the skin saying that all cats belonged to them and that it was their lion. The scout who shot the lion refused saying that the skin belonged to him as he had shot it. The spirit medium was far from happy and told him that he would therefore have bad luck. Guess who shot that first lion ? Some things are spooky aren’t they?

At this stage Mike the appi was down with malaria and Buzz explained that he was unable to assist as he was hunting with a client, but that we would come if the client could take on the job. This was very much a forlorn comment as in Zim it is only PH’s who can undertake PAC, but at least it showed willing.
We were therefore very surprised when they came back over the radio to say that permission had been arranged. Buzz double checked the detail over the radio and then insisted that we collect the relevant paperwork before we started and off we rushed on the hours drive to the Mishumbi ranger station. All this had come as a great surprise and as you can imagine I was tingling with the anticipation of my first lion hunt.
Buzz had only just left the office when he stopped in his tracks to read the paper that he held in his hand. The way he gritted his teeth and the speed at which he swivelled on his heels didn’t bode well. The conversation that he was now having in the office appeared to be somewhat heated. When he returned to the cruiser and stopped swearing I managed to ascertain that the bold writing at the base of the permission document read “the client may not shoot “
I just took it that it was probably too good to be true any way, but Buzz was cursing the probable deception that had ensured his presence. We returned to Karunga and continued our search for tracks until sundown.

Day 4

Found the tracks of a couple of Dagga boys close to the Mozambique border and tracked them through long grass from 8am until 1pm when it was decided that we should break off as we had probably been illegal immigrants for far enough. The tracking in those conditions was outstanding and I was able to reacquaint myself with the mind blowing qualities of Criton and Nyati. I have hunted with both of them twice previously, Nyati having been previously employed by Alan Shearing. Criton is accepted to be the better of the two for now, but Nyati is very bright and is learning fast. On the whole trip they never failed on a track; they may have lost it for a while, but they always recovered it again and were always on it when pulled off for failing light or time. They live on a completely different sensual planet.
Buzz had satisfied himself that there wasn’t enough ele sign for him over the day and a half of our stay in the east and so we packed up and headed back to Pedza.

Day5

Out of camp by 6am and a tour of the roads searching for ele tracks found evidence of plenty of cows, but no bulls worth following. There seemed to be lion tracks everywhere.
After an early lunch we set off for a distant valley in the hills and on the way we met PH Richard Tabor and his client John from Illinois who was on a ten day buff hunt. It was his first African safari and he had that only too familiar air of pent up excitement about him. Rich Tabor was the man of the moment, having recently shot the first elephant bull off the new concession which went a massive 71lbs. Congratulations all round dosed with a generous helping of leg pulling as well. John was to have more excitement than he had expected, but more later.
We walked in the remote valley for four hours seeing various occasional plains game, but no ele bull sign.
At one point we came across an old poacher’s camp that held an admirable vantage point on top of a huge rock. From the evidence they found the trackers were able to identify to us the game that they had poached and eaten and even pointed out where they had shaved their heads.

Poachers Camp

Day 6

Did roads for tracks and picked up on a buff herd which we caught up to in thick cover. There were some good bulls in the herd and I was on the sticks several times, but never with a clear chance. We worked the herd for a while and then had to give up when they crossed our boundary.
In the afternoon we did a walk up a sand river that quickly reminded my legs that, - they don’t like the soft sand in sand rivers !
Back at camp it was steak, egg and chips for dinner and I ate too much.

Day 7

With five days of hunting without finding a decent bull track to follow Buzz admitted to being confounded. There had been numerous opportunities on his previous hunt and he couldn’t understand the sudden change.
Drawing on my experiences of last year I presented a theory.
Last year we were hunting Chewore South and whilst there met up with Alan Shearing who was just returning from Chewore North where he had failed on an ele bull hunt. He said that everything was going along fine until another hunter wounded and lost a bull in the same area. He said that from that point it was if someone had turned off a tap and he didn’t find another single bull spoor up to the end of his hunt.
When I first met Buzz on this trip he was still stinging from the loss of his first ever elephant which had occurred on the previous hunt. The wounded bull went off at speed in very thick jess which hampered the initial follow up. They had been on the tracks for two days when the bull suddenly did a 180 and headed over the border into Mozambique.
After a great amount of soul searching and a generous amount of border stretching they were eventually forced to give up.
We all know the remarkable communication capabilities of elephants so could there be a connection between the two events?

We drove the roads and found the tracks of a small herd of buff which we decided to follow. In order to maximise all of our options at the same time Buzz gave Criton a radio and asked him to do an exploratory walk down a dry river bed and to contact us with news of any tracks.
We had been tracking the buff for about two hours when we got a call from Criton saying that he had a fresh track that we should come and see. The buff were forgotten and we were off.
The half walk, half jog to the nearest road to be collected by Eddie the driver and the frantic drive to meet Criton were pretty gruelling, but as it was already early afternoon there was no time to waste.
During the drive Buzz and I had the usual “dilemma” conversation were we discussed the fact that it would be the first bull that we had looked at on this hunt and that it would have to be a very good one to make us decide to shoot. Last year Buzz had turned down a very good bull on day two saying that as it was only the second elephant that I had ever been close to he want me to have the full elephant experience. We were to look at further twenty eight bulls on that hunt before shooting our bull on the next to the last day. Buzz admitted that he was beginning to feel the pressure of his previous decision at that stage.
On this occasion I told him that he was the one that got paid to be under pressure not me, so I would let it be entirely his call. As you can imagine he thanked me profusely.

We got on the tracks and Criton and Nyati did their magic. We started in the river bed and then through open mopane, long grass and then a combination of the two. As the light started to go you could feel the urgency in the trackers as they quickened their pace. Just as I thought it was getting too late Buzz spotted the bull as it crossed a clearing into some tall trees. We ran.
As we approached the edge of the clearing we slowed to the customary silent creep.
The bull was standing with his back to us about eighty yards away and Buzz and I left the rest and crept closer. When it turned Buzz’s eyes widened and he whispered “yes –definitely”
The bull was now standing side on to us and listening. We crept in to about thirty five yards and Buzz whispered “side brain shot,” and then “no wait”. There were a couple of mature trees just to our left that gave us a bit of a screen and Buzz beckoned me in that direction. He then said “move forward and then give him a frontal when he turns”
I took a few hurried steps forward with the trees as cover and then stepped out.
As the bull heard me he turned, flared his ears and started to walk forward. I found that imaginary mark with the front bead of the double and the next thing I knew he was throwing his trunk back over his head.
I always wish that I have clearer memories of the moments like that, but in truth they all seem a blur even immediately after the event. Thank goodness for video.
We covered the later measured twenty seven yards to the bull who now lay on its side. This is only my second elephant and I found this moment just as emotional as the first. As I have said before anyone who does not feel a strong pang of emotion having shot an elephant has no soul. My only consolation to the moment is that it didn’t even hear the shot and was dead before it hit the ground. That is in stark contrast to the suffering that it must have endured from the two AK rounds that we found in the side of its head. They hadn’t even reached the skull and were later recovered in the muscle of the upper part of cheek. My 470 bullet was never recovered having passed through the front of the skull, the bottom half of the brain cavity, the rear of the skull and into the neck.
With my respects paid and with ten minutes of daylight left we hurried the handshakes and tail cutting and tracked back to the cruiser which we reached in the dark. Beers all round from the cool box and then back to camp.

Twenty Seven Yards

Shot

Bullet Strike

He never even heard the shot

Day 8

A later start than normal as we awaited the tractor and trailer from the Mururu camp who were to assist with the elephant recovery.
I must admit that I found the tardiness of our departure from camp to be somewhat of a merciful release due to a little over exuberance the previous evening with a certain Bushmills liquid libation. – yep, I got pissed !
It was all Justin Drainers fault for downloading the video of the day’s events to his lap top and forcing us all to watch it time and again while we drank.

We (I actually mean they) cut the road in about 1.5km and then it was photographs followed by the recovery.

Pretty Ivory

The Recovery Team

Rich Tabor and his client John arrived just in time to see the elephant still in one piece and to join in the competition to guess the tusk weights.
The team made the recovery look remarkably easy leaving only the ribcage which we had earmarked for a Hyena plan. The meat was then distributed to the local population in the traditional manner. The trunk went to the chief of the area and a portion of the shoulder on which the bull fell went to the local spirit medium. The remainder of the meat went to the headmen of two different villages who then organised their own distribution.
In the afternoon we did a river walk looking for a bushbuck, but only saw females.

Day 9

In the morning we returned to the ele carcass and construct a blind and walk in path to hopefully ambush a hyena.
In common with a lot of people hyena are my nemesis and confound me at every opportunity. Would this trip be any different ?
In the afternoon we did another river walk which turned up blank. We did however have a very amusing experience when we sat for a while and a big dog baboon walked into us at ten yards and then did a back summersault with fright. I think that everyone in Africa gets immense satisfaction when they see those cunning rascals undone.
My friend Des had spent the day in camp resting a torn calf muscle, but a plan had been made for him to join us at the river just before dark to partner me in the England versus Zim sand grouse competition.
Buzz had brought his old shotgun and scratched together some shells so we were all allowed a shot at one bird each. I am sure that the match was fixed as Zim won 1-0.

Day 10

4am wake up and a trip to the hyena blind only to find that not only was there nothing there, but they hadn’t even found it. We all thought that incredible especially as there are tracks on every road and that they keep me awake by laughing at me while they walk through camp every night. I hate hyenas !
Back for breakfast and then the morning looking for buff tracks

Along one of the roads we came across a beaten up old Nissan broken down. The one white guy amongst the four occupants studying under the bonnet (or hood to you Americans) turns out to be David Hulme. I had been following the progress here on AR of Dave’s much publicised border walk and I couldn’t believe the coincidence of actually meeting up with him.
He told us that he had been in Harare for a while to replenish his finances and to recover from a bad bout of Malaria. His guide had resigned and he had got a lift back to Kanyemba to collect his replacement and to continue with his walk. Buzz got on the radio and arranged for our camp manager to come out and give him a lift to Kanyemba to continue with his plan. It seemed a bit crazy to me that he was going to go further north only to then walk back to where we were, but it shows that his trip is genuine and that he isn’t taking short cuts. Dave and Buzz were obviously old mates and Buzz extended an invitation for Dave to call by and stay overnight on his way back south. They chatted for a while before we wished him well and we continued with our hunt.
We did a walk in the afternoon and shot an impala.

Impala and the team

On our way back to camp we were taking stock of our day and we were able to count no less than seven different big elephant bull tracks that we had seen including one monster that Buzz couldn’t stop fantasising about. It was always going to be the case that once we had shot our bull the full stock of Dande was going to show itself to taunt us. For the rest of the hunt we saw about four different big tracks every day, but I was still more than happy with the one in the salt. If the previously expounded theory has any credence then perhaps enough time had then elapsed for the alarm to have worn off and the normal movement to have recommenced – who knows? Just for information and perhaps future reference it was exactly fifteen days since they had shot the previously mentioned lost bull before we started to see sign again. When we arrive back in camp Rich and John were there and John told us the exciting tale of his first Buff that he had shot that day. I am hoping that he will post his own report so I won’t pre-empt him, but suffice to say that whilst hunting the buff in long grass he had lions growling within 20yds at times and the recovery was very interesting !!

Day 11

After searching for buff tracks all day yesterday without success I awoke to find that a small herd had been feeding on the grass within 5yds of my door for some of the night.
After breakfast we decided to follow the old adage of “a bird in the hand” etc and we tracked from camp. We catch up with them after about an hour were they are feeding in a particularly thick bit of cover. We bump them a couple of times and then decide to leave them to settle until later.
We then searched for the big herd that John had shot his buff from the previous day and eventually find them, but the lions are still on them and as it is now early afternoon we decide to leave them and go back to the mornings plan.
We drive back to the area near camp where we had left the herd in the morning.
We heard the group of buff before we saw them and then played cat and mouse until dark with me on the sticks a few times. Lack of time and light won the day.

Day 12

We leave camp early so as to reach the far valleys in good time to make a full day of it. On the way we pass two lots of ele cows on the side of the road and then a young bad tempered bull who “gives us a rev” , which for the uninitiated means “trumpets in a threatening manner.”The cause of his irritation is pointed out by one of the trackers in the form of an obvious sore on his leg. It made me feel as though we should make some effort to put him out of his misery before someone got squashed, but the Zim red tape would have had it die of old age first. We continued on our plan.

When we arrive at the start point for our days search Buzz again played the options by despatching Criton on one of his private recces with a radio.
We had only been driving the roads for about half an hour when the call came and we rendezvoused with Criton and set off into the hills. The line of the tracks was to lead us passed the old poachers camp that we had previously visited and which was now firmly fixed as a point of reference for the area. After about an hour we passed out of the tall grass, through some open mopane and on to a more open river bank that had several patches of very thick thorn bush each about fifty yards square. It was from one of these patches that we heard the unmistakable sound of the grunt of a buffalo bull. We started the stalk and we got to within twenty yards of the bush when everyone froze to the sound of crunching bones. Buzz dropped his head into his shoulders as he slowly turned with a clenched teeth smile and mouthed the word “lions” He motion with his hand, but he needn’t have bothered because everyone had pre-empted him and were already silently retracing their steps. We all retreated to a respectful distance and then stopped for a laugh and some back slapping.
What we thought had been a buffalo grunt of contentment had in fact been its death throes.
We gave a wide loop to the lion’s banquet and picked up on the tracks of the herd again. They were now moving along the centre of the river bed, presumably to stay in the open and give themselves plenty of warning of any more lion attacks.
We also found where a couple of different small groups had split off and gone their own way.
During the next five hours we played hide and seek with what were now very spooky buffalo. We often found ourselves with groups of the fragmented herd on several different sides as we hunted them through long thick grass and semi open bush. At one point we were confronted by four animals that suddenly walked into us at about ten yards as they attempted to rejoin their colleagues. I don’t know who was the more surprised.
I was on the sticks on numerous occasions but that gap in the cover or that correct stationary animal never came.

The time was getting on and we had bumped one group at the bottom of a small valley for what we all thought was going to be the last time when they suddenly appeared climbing the opposite hillside. This time we had time for Buzz to carefully glass the group while I got ready on the sticks. As they climbed the steep slope through the long grass the ones at the back could be seen butting those in front to hurry them along. As they began to file past a large tree Buzz identified the second in line as a mature bull and as it cleared the trunk I shot it high on the shoulder with the 375 and it collapsed. I had read about the high shoulder shot placement before, but had never considered attempting it until now. The situation gave me little choice as only the top half of the animals was visible over the long grass. It was only on reviewing the video later that we realised that as the bull went down on the steep bank it took another three with it. It looks quite amusing on screen, but I’m sure they found it a bit undignified.
We then stood and listened, as although we had all seen the bull drop to the shot apparently spined we now had to approach an unknown situation in very thick cover.
After the customary wait without any sound that could help in our assessment Buzz decided to walk around and approach from above which would at least give the bull the disadvantage of struggling uphill at us if it was still alive.
I changed to the double and we circumnavigated to a position that we assessed was just above where the bull had fallen. A couple of stones thrown into the cover below and a few tentative steps forward and we finally saw the outline of the bull which was lying supported against a scrubby tree. Someone detected a slight movement which was the only excuse I needed to exercise the 470 with two rounds through the shoulder. The usual congratulations to the trackers and then pictures.
It wasn’t a big bull by trophy standards, but it was old and mature and we had just had one fantastic and full day’s buffalo hunting.

Des inspects his first buffalo

It was 4.30pm and we just made it back to the vehicle before dark. Recovery would have to wait until tomorrow.

Day 13

The weather so far on the hunt had been the usual blue skies and pleasant temperatures of a normal African autumn, but as we drove out of camp after breakfast I happened to mention to Buzz that the clouds gathering overhead looked as though it could rain. He dismissed the comment with a laugh and the words “no chance, - in fact I’ll tell you what, if it rains today you can have your lion hunt next year for free”.
Now would you bet against an Englishman on rain forecasting????
We drove the two hours out to the point in the road where we, (I mean they) started the recovery road into the buffalo. The GPS said it would be 1.9km, but the team made it look like a cake walk. I of course gave great moral support and at one of the three river crossings even climbed out of the cruiser to offer my opinion as to the best route.
When we eventually reached the buffalo we were relieved to find that it was just as we had left it and as the team proceeded to roll it down hill to where they could get the truck Des and I retraced our steps of the previous day to the top of the opposite hill to assess the shot distance. We had just calculated the 97yds when I noticed the wet spots on my shirt that gradually increases in size and frequency - yes, it was raining !
As if rehearsed, and without any prompting we both broke out in unison and at the top of our voices completed the whole first verse of Singing in the Rain.
Gene Kelly would have been proud.
Whilst I couldn’t see them for the tall grass I could hear the mumblings in the gulley below and then the laughter of the team when Buzz explained to them the reason for the antics of the two mad Englishmen.
When we descended the hill to join them I got a set of rather sheepish baboon eyes from Buzz ( again for the uninitiated, baboon eyes refers to the way baboons look back over their shoulder at you in a rather accusing fashion)
I explained to him that as all Englishmen are men of honour (well at least all those who aren’t in politics yet) I would not be holding him to his rather rash wager. There would of course have to be a forfeit, - but more later.

The cruiser conatining a whole buffalo and the recover team

We returned the buffalo to the skinning shed, had lunch and then prepared for the traditional and compulsory team shooting competition. For the past three years my wife has managed to supply suitable prizes with particular emphasis on the first prize which normally consists of some kind of daft hat. Again this year she didn’t disappoint.
The winner was Eddie the driver who was extremely delighted with his prize, although I did have a slight doubt as to its suitability considering that he was to take it back to his home in Kanyemba which had been the scene of the recent lion problems as previously mentioned. He seemed happy though.

Eddie with his prize

On our way back into camp that afternoon we came across two sorry looking individuals sweating under the weight of their back packs as they trudged along the dirt road. It was David Hulme and his guide who were taking up Buzz’s offer of a clean bed and a hot shower. Dave stayed for two nights with us in camp and I thoroughly enjoyed his company and listening to the various stories of his trip so far. The book that he will eventually write about his epic adventure will be a must read for anyone interested in Africa.

Brave adventurer David Hulme

Day 14

With the scheduled hunt complete it was decided to have another days fishing.
We left camp early for the hour or so drive north to the Zambezi at Kanyemba, dropping Eddie the driver off on the way to spend the day with his family.
Along the road we passed the home of Chief Chaputo who is seen standing outside. Buzz and he are old friends and we stopped for a chat. His house is a typical one roomed mud hut with the only testament to his lofty position being the new tractor parked outside and the satellite dish attached to the white pained walls. Buzz explained that he was living in England when his uncle died and he was summoned back to Zim to take up his inheritance. His wife still lives there and although he has implored her to join him she has refused until he can provide her with her now customary running water, piped electricity and flush loo.

Just before reaching the river we started to see quite a bit of ele sign on the road and as we came around the last bend before the fishing camp we came across a very pretty young bull standing at the side of the road. He lifted his head and tail in unison and did one of those classic elephant turns as he stode away into the bush looking back over his shoulder as he went. I love it when they do that. Whilst his perfectly matching ivory was still a bit thin he had about four feet sticking out and Buzz said that he would be a really beauty if left to mature.

When we arrived at the camp we had the pleasant surprise of meeting Buzz’s good friend Carel Maartens who had just come up river from his fishing camp in Mozambique to deliver his PH who was to drive back to South Africa for a holiday.
Carel has the hunting concession at the head waters of Cahorra Bassa which Buzz sublets for his croc and hippo hunts. He also has a very up market fishing camp on the shore line from which he runs his tiger fishing operation.
As is the norm in Zim hospitality then took over and he insisted that we came as his guests for our day out. We were then whisked down river in his custom built fishing boat that wouldn’t have looked out of place in one of those US pro bass tournaments. We didn’t catch many tigers that day due to the high coloured water, but we saw lots of crocs and hippo and drank even more beers. Those guys certainly know how to enjoy their days off.
Next year I plan to base myself at Carel’s fishing camp for a couple of days before I start to hunt and have a go for those tigers with the fly. If anyone is ever thinking of fishing on the Zambezi I would strongly recommend his Chawalo Safaris concession.

It was dark when we arrived back at Pedza and as we approached camp we seemed to make a strange detour to the route that I was expecting. As we drove out of a thick patch of jesse and dropped into a dry river bed I noticed lights ahead. It was only when we cleared the trees that I realised the subterfuge. There in the sand Jappie the camp manager had arranged a surprise braii with all the trimmings including drinks table and dining area all lit with an ingenious canopy of lights powered from the cruisers battery.

Braii

When you sit there looking up at the stars with a glass of good red wine in your hand eating fillet steak it takes a great deal of forced realism to fully comprehend where you actually are and the amount of effort that has gone into providing that experience for you. It was a fabulous evening and a typical example of the level of thoughtful customer service that we received throughout the whole trip.

Day 15

After the hunter in the other camp at Mururu had bagged his buffalo Buzz gave him the option of trying for a leopard that he still had on quota. John jumped at the chance and he and Rich Tabor had been baiting for several days, but although they had a couple of cats feeding he had been unsuccessful by the time he had left.
The option was now extended to me and I of course took it.
The plan was to try another early start at our Hyena bait and then to transfer for one night to the Mururu camp to be closer to the bait sites that the others already had working.
We did the hyena thing at first light with the usual frustrating result and then back to camp. On going to my chalet for a shower before breakfast I noticed a clear line of leopard tracks along the sandy path right past my door and I couldn’t help wondering if that was going to be a good omen for our trip to Mururu later.
In addition to the leopard we had quite a variety of nocturnal visitors through camp while we were there including buffalo, baboon, jackal and civets; not to mention the hyenas who taunted me with their yelps and laughter every night. Have I mentioned how much I bloody hate hyenas?!!

After breakfast we get word from the skinner that my tusks are ready for drawing. The elephant skull had been part buried for eight days with the tusks being the only parts exposed. I had never seen the procedure of drawing them so we had made a specific request to be informed when it was to be done. The heat, bacteria and insects had done their work in rotting the muscle and sinews inside the sockets and the tusks now wobbled in the skull with little sideways pressure.
There was quite a gathering for the ceremony as everyone in camp had joined in the “guess the weight” competition. As the tusks were drawn from the sockets I was surprised at the shape and consistency of the nerves that were levered from the hollow ends with the aid of a knife blade. I don’t know what I had expected, but it certainly wasn’t the red jelly like cones that now lay on the sand. The available scales proved frustrating as they had an upper limit of 50lbs and each tusk bottomed them without effort. Everyone would have to wait for the competition result until the official weigh-in at Harare.

As we drove to Mururu one of the trackers tapped the now familiar warning on the roof of the cruiser and we stopped to be told that he had seen a good bushbuck disappear through some cover towards the river.
We off loaded and took up the pursuit. We crept through the long grass and came to the thick jesse that ran all along either side of the river bank. We could see a group of baboons going about their normal business on the opposite bank and we scanned for any accompanying bushbuck. We had just about given up when Buzz spotted him further downstream. We had to hunch as we hurried through the thick bush, but we eventually got to a position where we had a small opening that provided us a concealed, yet clear view. The buck was an old and very dark animal and Buzz commented that it looked more like a nyala. It walked slowly along the far bank and as it crossed in front of us at about sixty yards I shot it through the shoulder. It jumped and disappeared into the bush. Buzz gave me a sideways glance and said “did that feel ok to you?” I said “yes why”
He said “I think you missed it”. “No, never it was too straight forward” I said.
We crossed the river and the trackers did what trackers do. After a good search it became very clear that Buzz was right as there was no sign of any strike what so ever. I started to doubt my own sanity. I couldn’t have missed a whole bushbuck at that distance could I? It also went through my mind that this didn’t bode well for someone who was about to sit in a leopard blind later in the afternoon.
Thank goodness for camera men !!!
Justin then came to our rescue. “I have just reviewed that last footage on the camera and I think you hit a branch, - do you want to see it?
“Too bloody right I want to see it !!”
Thankfully he was right, and you could clearly see the small branch(which obviously I hadn’t) explode just in front of the muzzle.
This was a great relief, but I still insisted on another test shot before we went after Mr Spots. That proved that everything was in order and off we went to Mururu.

We dropped our gear at the camp and then went to the bait site where John and Rich had seen a cat the previous evening. It had climbed into the tree for only a few minutes and they were unable to determine it’s sex before it departed.
Their blind was still in situ and it seemed a bit of a cheat to take advantage of other people’s hard work, but “never look a gift horse” etc. It was concealed in a thick bush on a raised riverbank with a distance of about sixty yards to the bait tree at the base of a steep embankment on the opposite side.

View of the bait tree through the viewing hole

I was sitting in a camp chair on the right hand side with a full rifle rest attached to the metal framework of the blind. Buzz had given the initial spotting job to my mate Des who’s chair had a central position with a clear view through a viewing gap to the bait. He obviously loved the responsibility of the situation and never took his eyes off the tree for a second. Buzz and Justin took up their places on the floor behind our chairs with the instruction that Des was to indicate silently with his hand if a cat appeared. It was 4.30pm.
At 5.35pm and in full daylight the slow hand movement came and Buzz leant forward to the viewing hole and studied with his binoculars.
Now, only one hour in someone else’s blind, using someone else’s bait may seem far too easy by cat hunting standards, but as my last leopard hunt (as reported on AR) had me sitting 17 sessions in eighteen days before I got my cat I figure I have done my time.
When I looked through the scope the cat was lying on the branch quartering towards me and staring straight at the blind. It was very obvious from its fixed stare and tense posture that it knew full well that something was on and that it was on the brink of going.
Whilst still looking through his viewing hole and without moving the binoculars from his eyes Buzz said “Yes shoot it – now !!”
As I came off the recoil I knew I was wrong. The cat was lying down and quartering towards and I had shot it behind the shoulder. It was off the branch in a flash and gave a growl as it disappeared up the steep hill into the thorns.
I had seen this scenario on several videos and always wondered how anyone could make such a basic mistake. I was confident that I would know better, but obviously not.
I knew full well that the correct shot in that position should have been on the inner point of the shoulder under the chin so why had I let myself be suckered by the urgency of the decision ?The bullet had gone where I aimed it.
It was too late now, I had to hope that enough damage had been done by the 300gn soft point to bring a swift conclusion to things and remove this sickening feeling that was growing in my stomach.
Buzz asked what I thought and Des contributed that through his binoculars he had definitely seen the bullet strike behind the shoulder.

The team arrived up the river bed with the vehicle and we got ready for the follow up.
The hillside was extremely steep and covered in thick thorn bush of various kinds.
Criton led the way searching ground spoor while Nyati scanned the bushes. Buzz had changed his rifle for a shotgun and ssg’s and I had changed to the double.
There was a blood trail of sorts from the bait tree, but not enough to raise our expectation of a swift conclusion. The trackers never missed a beat and you would think that they were tracking a live impala rather than a wounded leopard, never hesitating as they pushed forward through the dense thorns and quite often getting hung up and having to untangle themselves.

We start the follow up

We did about fifty yards and then it was decided that the light was fading too fast and that we needed some artificial assistance. Back to the truck for the lamp and then start again. By now it was pitch black.
Criton following the ground spoor with the light and Nyati with axe in hand scanning the edges of the light beam as it swept back and forth. Quite often we were only in single file as we pulled ourselves through the thorn tunnels and I had an overwhelming feeling of helplessness. How could I be of any help what so ever to the guys in front if anything happened when I couldn’t even see past them?. It didn’t stop the trackers they just forged on.
I can honestly say that by that stage I hadn’t felt a moment’s concern for myself. My overwhelming thoughts were that I didn’t want any of the guys in front to get chewed for my stupid mistake. They had trusted me to make the right call and I had let them down.
We climbed the hill, all the time being very much aware just how much of a disadvantage we were at if the cat should come from above us. The spoor and the odd drop of blood then led us from the crest back down the next gulley and on to our knees as we struggled to find a way under and through these bastard thorns. The cat certainly knew where it was safe. On more than one occasion I had to untangle the thorn covered branches from Buzz’s shirt that held him back from keeping his position in the line close to the trackers.

Not to be recommended

PLEASE SEE REST BELOW POSTED 14.06.10

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great report and pics! Congrats on your hunt!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Great report and great pictures. Loved the bullet strike! Beautiful elephant and buffalo. Congratulations! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob-
What a beautiful bull. I'm glad your leopard followup had a happy ending!
Congratulations on a great hunt, and thank you for the fine report and photos. I will be at Karunga with Buzz next March, and just came upstairs from reloading some practice rounds for the 470. Reading your report just made my day!
Is Morgan still tracking for Buzz, or has Nyati taken his place?

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Marty
My computer is on the blink and wont let me finish or edit the report for some reason so please check back tomorrow for the rest. Morgan is now tracking for Richard Tabor and Nyati has taken his place. Good luck in Dande you will love it.
Regards
Rob

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great report and hunt...I am down to about 6 weeks til I will be there and time is dragging! Congrats on a dream hunt- ...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Great hunt and fantastic report. That is an incredible bull and the footage looks great. Your report certainly whetted my appetite -- counting hours now, I leave in four days! Congrats again.

Mike

Posts: 21204 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunter's Wife-To-Be
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the report and pictures! I will be in Dande with CM Safaris in a little over a month. Rich Tabor will be the PH. I can't wait to return and post my own report!

Posts: 49 | Location: La-La Land | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am SOOOO happy that CM has the Dande North and that Chifuti is no longer involved in it. The Dande is one of my favorite places to hunt and now that the previous owners are gone I am creatively trying to put the money together to hunt it once again.

What camps does Buzz have, Pedza, Mruru, and does he have Mekonga(SP)?

One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
"I am SOOOO happy that CM has the Dande North and that Chifuti is no longer involved in it".

And what is wrong with Chifuti Safari?

Torbjørn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My watch told me that it had now taken an hour to cover the two hundred yards or so of our progress when the trackers and Buzz stopped and started a whispered conversation. I had just leaned forward over their shoulders to try and hear what they were saying when Criton gestured with his hand as he spoke. As the edge of the beam from the light that he held flicked forward I caught a glimpse of spots. If I had had a clear line of sight I would have just fired without hesitation, but all I could do was shout “in front, in front !!”
Everyone tensed as Criton immediately pointed the lamp to light up the still figure of the leopard lying on it’s side less than ten yards away. It was dead.
I think that it was only at that moment that I really appreciated what the word relief really means.

We found it

As they dragged it through the thorns and back down to the river Buzz commented “we were just discussing leaving it until the morning when you spotted it, but the trackers were concerned that your trophy may get damaged by hyenas in the mean time”
At that moment I couldn’t have given a damn about the trophy, all I cared about was that everyone was safe. When we examined the cat the bullet had struck square in the middle of its body and in effect high and back. The bullet had gone where it was aimed, but it had been the wrong shot choice for the position of the animal.
The standard of the tracking and the bravery of those guys forging away at the front has got to be experienced to be believed. I have said it before, but they are in another dimension.

A relieved man

The trip back to camp had the team on the back of the truck laughing and joking as usual just like a normal day at the office. I didn’t feel like saying a great deal.
The experience won’t stop me from hunting leopard, but it has taught me some very valuable lessons, thankfully not at anyone’s cost.

Day 16

During the previous afternoon Buzz and I had visited the various options open to me for the rest of the trip and I said that I was still very keen to try for those lions at Mishumbi. Although the authorities would not allow me to hunt them as PAC I was aware that Buzz had lion on license for that area although he had not attempted to sell the hunts due to there not normally being any lions there. He agreed that if I wanted we would go and try to track them and if I was successful I could cover it with the authorities by paying the trophy fee.

We left Mururu before first light for the two and a half hour drive to Mishumbi. We advised the wardens office of our intentions, picked up the local game scout and headed for the local villages that were being targeted by the lions.
As we toured the area Buzz forewarned me to expect a lot of time wasting and exaggerations as we searched for up to date information on the lion’s whereabouts.
His advice was proven to be extremely accurate as we were sent on several wild goose chases by various villagers who were adamant with their direction.
A more realistic picture began to immerge that the lions had in fact killed a couple of goats the previous night and we eventually found the scene where they had actually broken down a brick wall to gain access to the compound.

The lions broke into the goat compound

The tracks on the road showed that two big males and one female were the culprits and we were at last on our way.
We had been following for about two hours when we were approached by a local on a bicycle who told us that he knew someone who had seen them that morning some distance in advance of us. In an attempt to make up time Buzz asked to be taken to the farmer concerned. The cyclist led us to a farm and disappeared inside to get the farmer. After quite a long wait and a bit of horn blowing from the cruiser to hurry things along the farmer eventually appeared. It was very obvious from his regular sideways detours that he was in fact totally pissed. This started Buzz into a bout of tyre kicking and bad language. “This guy is going to waste more of our time – get him on the back of the cruiser”.
The short drive to the scene of the morning’s sighting was a quiet affair on the truck, only punctuated by a bit of flatulence from the farmer and a short stop to retrieve his woollen knitted hat from an overhanging thorn tree. He was to further endear himself to Buzz when, on failing to find the promised lion tracks he said “how about a leopard?”
Buzz made him walk home.
It was only shortly after the old man left that we did actually find the tracks and Buzz had to admit that he had perhaps been a bit hard on him after all.
The fresher track had saved us several hours of tracking and now meant that we had a good chance of catching them before dark. The only other concern was that they had eaten goats instead of cows which meant that they were likely to travel further to rest than they would have done with fuller bellies.
They certainly seemed to be on a mission as they headed across numerous occupied cotton fields, through areas of long grass and towards the thick virgin jesse. It was only when we entered this thick stuff that I realised what “virgin” jesse means. Whenever I have hunted Africa the thick bush or jesse always had paths and trails through it because I always hunted in safari areas with game in it. I suddenly realised that this area was different because it had lots of people and hence little or no game, hence no paths, hence very thick “virgin” jesse.
Whatever the reason it was a bitch to walk through and we spent as much time on our knees as on our feet.

The jesse was thick

I wish that I had an exciting end to the report of this day, but in the final analysis we tracked for five and a half hours and bumped the lions three times in very thick bush without getting a chance of a shot. We eventually had to pull out through failing light. The nearest we came was when the lioness gave the game scout at the back of our party a bit of a surprise when she doubled back on us as we entered another block of thick jesse. The trackers were yet again outstanding and even confounded the local game scout who was heard to ask them, with a great deal of reverence “what magic are you using?”-- “what magic are you using that allows you to see that which I cannot see?”
Join the club mate !
We didn’t get our lion, but we had a fantastic days hunting.

Top trackers with a grateful client

As we were returning through Mishumbi to drop off our local game scout we came across the warden who stopped to chat with Buzz. When he got back into the cruiser Buzz said “right , now we have a plan for tomorrow”
“But I fly out on the charter at 3pm tomorrow”
“Well, that means you have the morning – do you want to shoot a free buffalo or not ?. The warden wants a buff cow for rations and he has agreed that you can shoot it ”
I swiftly and publicly took back everything that I had ever said about the parks administration and their lineage and we headed back to base.

When we got back to camp we had the pleasure of the company of Myles McCallum and his client Dick Gunn who was about to start his buffalo/leopard hunt. To his credit I found that Dick is one of those very rare Americans who both understand and appreciate real football, - that’s the one with the round ball.
(As I write this I note that England has yet again just come to the aid of our American allies by purposely throwing the ball into our own goal to ensure them the dignity of a draw in the first round of the world cup finals)
He asked us all kinds of questions about our experiences on our hunt and then had a real experience of his own at the end of the night when he disturbed a dagga boy grazing on the lawn in camp when Buzz showed him to his chalet. I hope that he will post his report here when he returns.

Day 17

We left camp early looking for buffalo.
The first thing that we came across were the fresh tracks of two big male lions that followed the centre of the road for quite a distance before turning off into the grass.
It wasn’t very far down the track before we saw them again and Buzz observed that the track was extremely fresh. At that point we saw that the trees were full of vultures and it was obvious that they had made a kill close by. It was decided to go take a look. We soon found what was left of their meal in a flattened area of tall grass.
They had killed and completely eaten a kudu cow only leaving the teeth and the contents of the stomach. They even ate the hide and the hooves. The trackers admitted to being a bit frustrated, saying that having tracked the Mishumbi lions for five hours the previous day and being thwarted by the lack of daylight here they were with two full bellied lions only ten or fifteen minutes ahead and they couldn’t hunt them. They were confident that they would have had them within half an hour.
At 10.30am we found were a buff herd had crossed the road and we were hunting again. We caught them within an hour and then we played cat and mouse for the next two hours with me on the sticks four times before having to give up and return to camp to pack for home.

After showering and packing it was time for the final photographs of the now cleaned off tusks, the tip distribution and the goodbyes.
But first some retribution !!!!
Some of you may recall my posting an account of a promotional gift that Buzz sent to my wife and I around Christmas time. These gifts were in the form of rather unflattering white underwear bearing the CM safaris logo in red on the backside.
To prove the point I actually posted pictures of the said offending articles.
When I allowed Buzz to relinquish his obligation to his rather ill judged wager regarding the rain on day 13 I said that it was on the proviso that he model the new promotional CM Safaris swim wear that I had brought along. The financial consideration of the extent of a full lion hunt obviously clouded his judgement and caused him to act in a rather reckless manner because he agreed.
When we had arranged the tusks in the traditional upright photographic position the new CM Safari male swim wear was despatched to Buzz’s chalet with the strict instructions that it was to be worn in conjunction with accessories of the famous leather hat, plastic crocs and 416 over the shoulder. The suitably attired model was then to pose framed by the pair of tusks as is only fitting for a PH who was recently quoted as being “almost of rock star status”
To the man’s credit, and notwithstanding the near physical injuries inflicted on themselves by the laughter of his tracking team he went through with it.
Ladies and gentlemen I am now the proud owner of a series of photographs showing in great detail that well know Outfitter and PH Buzz Charlton sporting a leather hat, a pair of plastic crocs, a shouldered 416 and wearing the most fetching lime green Borat mankini.
As all Englishmen (outside politics) are honourable as I have said before I did promise not to publish the said tasteful material, however if any future worthy fund raising causes are ever featured on this forum I may find it justifiable to sell copies if the cause is deemed worthy enough.

Perfectly matching at 53lb each

The team

Conclusion

I have just had yet another fantastic hunting experience thanks to Buzz and all the team at CM Safaris. Their effort and organisation were faultless. We worked hard and we had great fun.
I am delighted that they have now secured their own concession and having seen firsthand their commitment to it I am sure that they will continue to build it into one of the very best of all the African venues. I have already confirmed my booking for a lion and bull ele for next year.

Thanks to anyone who has taken the trouble to read this, writing it gives me great pleasure as it offers me the opportunity to relive all the detail of the hunt again day by day.
Happy hunting

One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a great report. Congrats on a really nice ele bull and leopard!

Torbjørn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike
I know that Buzz is looking forward to your hunt in a few days time. If you change your mind and dont want to be bothered with all that travelling I could be persuaded to take your place for a small consideration. I left you a present in the form of an electric bug bat. Buzz said you would gleen a great amount of pleasure from smelling those damn tsetses fry.
Let me know what lions you see and put my name on the biggest for next year.
Stay safe and shoot straight.
Regards
Rob

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Rob

What a hunt report. I felt like i was there with you following up on Mr Spots. Great Ele and Leopard.

I am heading over to Zim next year with my Dad, his girlfriend and mine to hunt with Roger Whittall Safaris.

From one Englishman to another lets hope we do better in the next game!!

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 684 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sod of an elephant and a fantastic progression of pictures of the shot! How cool is that?

Congrats on a super safari with a super outfit!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
If you change your mind and dont want to be bothered with all that travelling I could be persuaded to take your place for a small consideration.

No chance! I have already started with the anticipation induced sleepless nights.

Mike

Posts: 21204 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Congratulations on the fine animals taken on your hunt. Reading your report was treat.

Thanks.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
What a hunt!!
Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Torbjørn:
"I am SOOOO happy that CM has the Dande North and that Chifuti is no longer involved in it".

And what is wrong with Chifuti Safari?

Torbjørn

Plenty,

Send me a PM and I'd be glad to tell you all about it.

Buzz runs a first class outfit and from all reports is a joy to hunt with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike
CM have the Dande North safari area and operate the Mururu and Pedza camps. I think you will find that Makanga is in the Dande South area.
Pedza is the main camp with the airstrip close by and Mururu the slightly smaller camp on the river. Other people seem to favour Mururu, but I liked Pedza.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This hunt was a classic.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike
Come on now, are we going to start another Chifuti bashing on AR ? I know you like Buzz, and so do I . Give me a PM, or better call, as I still would like to help you resolve your $500 issue with Chifuti. I was ready to have a nice sit down at Reno and or Dallas to get it straightened out with A.D and P.S but you never came by. I thought I had explained the issue from a Chifuti stand point to your satisfaction, as well as my willingness to help you on it even though it was not booked with Chifuti. Was I wrong ? I guess, as you are still sore at Chifuti for some reason. Still willing to try to help however, and the offer stands.
Hope your year is shaping up for some great hunts.
Dave

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding story and wonderful bull.

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and simply beautiful Ivory....congrats to you!!

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, Jolly!! That follow-up on the leopard was a tight spot for sure.
Those shot series of the 470 going off, the bullet strike and the fall are spectacular!

Thanks for sharing the hunt with us..it was a great read.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great report, congratulations on a fantastic hunt.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
Surestrike
Come on now, are we going to start another Chifuti bashing on AR ? I know you like Buzz, and so do I . Give me a PM, or better call, as I still would like to help you resolve your $500 issue with Chifuti. I was ready to have a nice sit down at Reno and or Dallas to get it straightened out with A.D and P.S but you never came by. I thought I had explained the issue from a Chifuti stand point to your satisfaction, as well as my willingness to help you on it even though it was not booked with Chifuti. Was I wrong ? I guess, as you are still sore at Chifuti for some reason. Still willing to try to help however, and the offer stands.
Hope your year is shaping up for some great hunts.
Dave

Dave,

You never answered my last PM and you didn't stick your part of our deal.

Did you think that by ignoring me I was going to go away?

Your are darn right I'm still sore at Chifuti. You haven't done a thing to make it right. Why wouldn't I be?

PS

Andrew Dawson was supposed to call me and get this straightened out. That was what we agreed to. I told you I'd try to get to Reno but the deal was a phone call.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice tusks. Congrats.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
Great report! I won't be with CMS in Dande North until September of 2011, so this was a great tease to keep me excited until then. Congratulations!

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
Surestrike
CM have the Dande North safari area and operate the Mururu and Pedza camps. I think you will find that Makanga is in the Dande South area.
Pedza is the main camp with the airstrip close by and Mururu the slightly smaller camp on the river. Other people seem to favour Mururu, but I liked Pedza.

I didn't realize that the Makanga camp was on the South side. I had lunch there once and thought it was one of the most gorgeous camps I've ever seen.

I have also stayed in Mruru and loved it too. Last time I hunted the Dande I stayed in Pedza and I didn't like it much. It's a great camp no doubt but the traffic level was a bit high for my tastes.

It looks as though you had a wonderful hunt. You are to be commended on your frontal brain shot. Perfect placement and done properly with a fine double.

Cheers

And excellent shooting, well done sir.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Great Job, exciting trip, and wonderful trophies. David Hulme looks like he's ready for a rest. beer

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great report. Sounds like you had a great adventure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg
That was honestly not how I remember it. As you know the hunt was not booked through my company, not booked directly through Chifuti, but inherited by Chifuti. But, as I told you, I am happy to try to get your questions answered , to your satisfaction by getting you in front of Andrew. I truly thought we planned to sit down together with Andrew at the show face to face to discuss it and was looking for you up to the last day in Reno. By the way, for some reason, all PM's sent to me on AR do not go through directly to me but show up on my secretary's computer on a different acct. No idea why ? But sometimes she may not know what it is, or I may be out of the country and it gets deleted. I never got your last Pm other then the one where I said I thought I was going to see you at the show. Were there more? Greg, I thought we discovered on the phone that we are both reasonable guys, and I am willing to get involved in a situation that my company has zero responsibility in if it will help straighten out a situation where hard feelings on your part are still being felt. The offer to help still stands if you want to give me a call at the office 214-360-9599.
Cheers
Dave

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
R.Jolly:

Thanks for a great report. The bullet strike on your elephant is awesome, well done.

That looks just like my room at Pedza Pasi; I spent 14 wonderful days there in 2008. Great camp especially if you like to hear lions at night and see buffalo grazing on the lawn. Not a camp I'd wander around at night that's for sure. I have also been to Mururu and Makanga camps; the Makanga River was great for tsetse flies and being chased by cow eles but not so great for bushbuck.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R. Jolly;

Great report and I really love the elephant shot photos!!! Excellent! Congratulations on your leopard too. I've been there and done that and know what a relief it is to find your kittie dead!

Well done, Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Outstanding brain shot! Beautiful pictures & looks like the "Rock Star" did a great job.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Hunt and Report!! Thanks!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip Rob (even if your better half was not along!), a wonderful elephant and leopard. Having spent some time in camp with you two years ago, I can attest to the fact that you are a tireless hunter and excellent sportsman.

Congratulations on to you, Des and Buzz Zeppelin! Smiler

All the best, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, I enjoyed your report and photos very much, thanks for sharing.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a hunt! Thanks for sharing the story with us.

Proud DRSS member