ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Masailand pics revised part II & Zanzibar

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Masailand pics revised part II & Zanzibar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sorry about the last post. so here are some of the same images resized!

A fine lesser kudu. We see a few every day and every client who wanted one shot one this season!

The 3 lesser kudu taken this season.

Hemingways grey ghost! An East African greater kudu, we have seen a few of them this year, but now have a better understanding of where they are to be found. This year is the first year and some new roads are being built for 2020!

EA Impala, they are much larger in body and horn size than the southern impala.

Kirks dik dik, they are to be found in large numbers but always on the move except when you dont want to shoot one!

We watched these two males for over 5 minutes, but I didn't have the heart to shoot one!

This is a fantastic Grants! We have plenty of them on the plains and they are available on a 10 day permit. They do not let you approach under 200 yards, so expect some long shots (for Africa) on these. The wind also plays a big factor on the plains. I noticed that in the morning its not windy whereas the evenings bring strong winds!

This is an average Grants I would say.

We don't have many Gerenuk in our area, but have permission to shoot them in an adjoining area, we counted 13 in 1 hour! They are a neat looking animal!

The main camp area, which looks out on to the open plains in the distance. There is a small resident female camp leopard. And we saw her one day sitting on the small sign that says welcome Smiler. I then saw her sitting in front of my tent one night all of 30 yards away!

Lots of zebra on the open plains. I am told in July and August there are tons more. Due to the lack of water most of the water dependent species had moved back in to the park, but started re emerging even after a few showers.

Spot the Grants!

Two beautiful Grants posing for the camera!

A real shooter!

White bearded wildebeest and the whole crew! Tons of them to be had!

The 35 whelen did the number on it at 234 yards was a pass through using a 225 grain swift A Frame.

Close up of a Kori Bastard Wink

Fun on the plains! Lots of Ostrich too!

The 35 Whelen dropped this with a TX heart shot at 185 yards! It ran full tilt and dropped in mid stride! Was quite a sight!

An impressive looking spear toting masai gent!

With a bit of encouragement from the crew on the last day. I gave in and shot this ostrich with my 470 at 114 yards!

Arusha airport - this is for flights within TZ. When flying in from overseas. You land in Kilimanjaro, which is an hours drive from Arusha.

The East coast of Africa below us enroute to Zanzibar

The beaches in the North of Zanzibar are spectacular! And the spices grown there are really amazing. A side trip is a great idea after your safari!

Cannons keeping watch at Stone town Zanzibar. A vibrant trading hub for slaves and ivory in days gone by, now mainly in ruins, but still an interesting mix of Indians, Arabs and locals!

Night food market with all sorts of local delights! It has a number of good resorts and restaurants as well.

Selling shrimp in the local sea food market!

Sunday service. Lets hope Tanzania doesn't see the scourge of radical islamic terrorists!

Slaves were traded in large numbers in Zanzibar, the last photo is a dungeon where they were housed before being sold off! A different era and time!

Door of an Arab household note the rectangular shape.

The arch shape is typical of an indian design, hence the owner of this house was probably an Indian trader!

Arab dhows at sunset off Stone town, a sight that probably been around for a 100 years or more!

The sultans palace in Stone Town

Freddie Mercury was of Indian descent and was born in Zanzibar before finally moving to England and forming the band Queen!

In summary, Masailand is a destination worth seeing and with its unique plains game species, it should be on every hunters list. I will shortly be posting some rates for 2020-2021. July to mid September and then again late November in to December will be the times to go!

In TZ what you can hunt is dictated by the government licensing system of 10, 14 and 21 day permits. These have been changed recently, but even the 10 day hunt allows one a crack at buff and some unique plains game species! For most of the desirable species you still have to buy a 21 day permit. This is similar to buying a tag. The outfitters daily rates of course reflect what you wish to hunt and the number of days as elsewhere. The t/fees are quite reasonable, for example on the buff 3,000, compared to 5k+ nowadays in most places in Zim etc. The specialty animals are pricey, but I believe still less than what other outfitters are charging!

Thanks for coming along this journey!

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628
2020, DSC booth # 2350
2020, SCI booth # 3167

Posts: 2532 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I envy the trip to Zanzibar my friend! Very cool. And thanks for a look at Hasheem's camp in his Makame WMA concession. Look forward to another go at Greater Kudu and buffalo sometime in the future!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Brilliant stuff Arjun.

The Zanzibar trip must have been special.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos and trophies. Thank you for putting them up.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the pics and info! tu2

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Fabulous safari, images and story. I will always remember our trip to Zanzibar. Truly an amazing place!

We have still not experienced Maasailand.

Some day.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Great Safari and Zanzibar looked amazing

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Makame and Ilkoishibor many times on a Residents permit long before it was a WMA - I think I saw the best of it...

BTW - Freddie Mercury (Bulsara) was actually of Romanian descent - I do remember Lynn Penney and a few other loony ladies going to Stone Town and putting up the first plaque after he died.

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fascinating! Thank you for sharing. Someday....

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report Arjun. I love hunting out in Maasailand. Zanzibar is an awesome destination after the hunt.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Any Buff or Leopard on quota?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Andrew,

Yes we do have 1 leopard and some buff left for 2020. And also one hunt for the main masai species.

Cheers,
Arjun

Posts: 2532 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything I have read says he is Parsi. Iranians who settled in India....

quote:
Originally posted by Kuwinda:
I hunted Makame and Ilkoishibor many times on a Residents permit long before it was a WMA - I think I saw the best of it...

BTW - Freddie Mercury (Bulsara) was actually of Romanian descent - I do remember Lynn Penney and a few other loony ladies going to Stone Town and putting up the first plaque after he died.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post Arjun.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Balsara family are from Parsi community in India. They are Zoroastrians who escaped from Iran several hundred years ago.

They are fire worshipers who do not bury their dead. They have towers where the dead are left for vultures.

The Romney gypsies are also originally from India but from entirely different ethnic and language group.

quote:
Originally posted by Kuwinda:

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone tell you that the pointy looking things on the door were for. Seems Elephants, when they had any, might come along and push the doors in, but with the pointed metal (can't think of the right name) the Elephant did not like them biting into their skin, so wouldn't push on those doors. At least that is what we were told when there in 1972.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carved Zanzibari doors have been around since the era of the Sultans and the intricacy of the carvings and brass studs was primarily decorative and a symbol status.

These doors extend mainly along the Kenyan coast up to and just beyond Mombasa where the Arab influence was quite pronounced.

Most (not all) of the doors you see in Zanzibar and Bagamoyo today are of recent manufacture as the original ones have been dismantled and sold to foreign collectors.

There were never any Elephants on Zanzibar.

Posts: 1869 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Arjun, Great update, thank you for posting!! Great to see you at Dallas and SCI.
A hunting partner and I have been working on a Selous Buff hunt and the intention was to try to book this hunt on the front end to experience Masailand. Looking like now we will have to postpone as dates weren't working, and now the virus...
Your photographs of Zanzibar certainly reminded us of our long cruise last year from New Zealand, to the WWII sites in New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon's, full circle of Australia and Tazi, and then Bali, Komodo, Singapore, Sri Lanka...and the best for 35 days, Seychelles, Maldives, and the entire coast of Africa from Tanzania to Capetown...Zanzibar being a highlight!! We saw some of the exact photos and toured the seashore and enjoyed some outstanding seafood in the portside restaurants...delightful place!! This was our third or fourth cruise down this coast...and we would do it again!!
We will be back to you as this virus winds down and we get SELOUS buff booked!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2539 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote