ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Inarfica Safaris / RSA/ Mims Reed 5-02

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inarfica Safaris / RSA/ Mims Reed 5-02
 Login/Join

<Harry>
posted
I took my son on his first safari this year. A friend went with us and it was his first safari too.
We were there the first 15 days of May.
We did the usual which for me is D/FW to Atlanta over night then fly out the next morning.
Got to Jo'burg and were met by our 27 yr. old PH Eon Kok. Eon has been working for Boer and Kan Coetzee for a number of years as 'step and fetch it, driver and he completed his PH lic. some three or four years ago. I was leary at the beginning but it soon became clear he knew 'his stuff'.
There was plenty of blood lust in the two new hunters so I just kept out of the way while they lowered the animal inventory in Africa. Down went pairs of blesbok, blue wildebeest and greater kudu. Then the third memeber of our hunt, Charlie Barnes took out a nice zebra which I named '007...James Bond' This zebra had two perfect zeros and a large 7 stripe on his side. I told Charlie it was the first serial numbered critter I had seen shot in Africa!
At last it became my turn and I got a nice impala and black wildebeest. The black wildebeest did not give up easily and I have a new found respect for them. I knocked him down twice and twice Eon said he was done but...no...he needed it again and then he was done. All with 286 grn 9.3 x 62 ammo. My first shot, at something over 200 yards, hit about an inch or so too high on the left front shoulder...the tall grass fooled me this time. Next time I will go into my lawn mowing mode.
My son and I were shooting the old tried and true Remington Model 721 30/06 with factory Fed. 180 Nosler Partitions. The other rifle we used was a Husqvarna 9.3 x62 and factory Norma 286 soft nose.
We had no shots over 250 yards and most inside that.
In the middle of the trip we took off and went to Kruger Nat'l Park for 2 1/2 days where we drove about the middle 1/3 of the park. It is a hell of a place to go and see if you get the chance. I don't know how long you would need to actually see it all but a week for sure and then you most likely missed something.
We overnighted in Lataba Camp where we got to go thru the famous Elephant Museum. They had a great, but tired, presentation showing the seven elephants in the park all having over 100 lbs. of ivory per side.
We returned to Vaalwater where Inafrica is located and then took off the next day for the Orange Free State to cull some sprinbok. Everyone got a very nice common springbok plus we got to see part of RSA we had not expected to see.
In this part of RSA is where the wheat, maize and cattle are. It is huge rolling hills and flats like you would find in the Flint Hills area of Kansas.
Up in Vaalwater you are in the Waterburg Mts. and you have large hills and lots of heavy cover.
On the way to Kruger we went thru a beautiful area where they raise all kinds of fruits, trees and tea plantations. That was worth the drive to Kruger itself!
In camp we had very nice rock apts. with pvt. bath. The hut my son and I were in had a connecting door which made it nice. Each hut had a nice coverd patio.
The sundowners were taken around a great campfire that was enclosed with a high stone wall to keep away any cold winds etc. It was a heck of an area and well used!
The food was wonderful...never expect to lose weight on a safari...food is too good even if you have no idea what it is. Just eat it...it will be good.
In the office at camp was the wonderful computer with e mail so we could keep in touch with our families and that was very nice as far as keeping calm on the home front. They knew we were not eaten alive by critters or cannibals! We were able to download some digital photos and send home ahead of us so the wives, grandmothers etc. could enjoy some of what we were doing.
Our safari was all we could ask for. Good animals, good food, nice and clean sleeping quarters, a super fire pit, good safari cars, knowledgable PH's and support people.
The trip was a push, push and click, click trip...no delays, no hassles with guns, baggage, late flights, tickets or anything. (thank you Gracy Travel in San Antonio)
On the way back to the airport Eon took us to a nice gun shop in Pretoria, then a tour thru the town and then thru the Voertrekker's Museum. Pretoria is a beautiful city with lots to see.
Don't worry about shopping for curios as Out of Africa in the Jo'burg airport has it all and then some I think.
Now...IF the taxidermy bill does not run over $4,000 (the price sheet said it would be $3500 but...) then this hunt should cost me $22,000 all up for two people and for 18 days. That figure is every dime I could account for...booze, ammo, flights, hotel, curios, film, medical shots, trophy fees, flt. insurance...anything... I kept every receipt and record I could.
I turned 64 in the bush and I did it while hunting with my son on his first safari. It was without doubt the best birthday I ever had.
If you are looking for a square deal and a good overall experience in South Africa then you should contact Boer, or his son Kan, Coetzee at Inafrica Safaris in Vaalwater, RSA.
Call 01127147553714...that is both fax and phone. They always have a booth at the Dallas Safari Club convention and SCI in Nevada.
Their web site is inafrica@worldonline.co.za or you can contact their American agent: Jeff Cook at 214 520 7494 in Dallas.
I might add that I had known both Boer and Kan for many years before going with them and have had tons of friends that have gone with them before me. It was not a shot in the dark as to how I would be treated or what to expect.
I am both a ranch owner and the owner of a firearms / hunting store in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area. I had been on safaris to Tanzania and Namibia before this one. I mention this so you will understand that I know what a safari is supposed to be and what all to expect. I have hunted the cats, elephant and the mighty gray bull.
Contact Inafrica Safaris and leave your watch at home! [Big Grin]