ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Anthony Howland benefit hunt for buffalo with Charlton McCallum Safaris.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anthony Howland benefit hunt for buffalo with Charlton McCallum Safaris.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

PH: Alan Shearing

Date: August 7th/August 13th 2014

Cameraman: Brad Wroe

Trackers: Mplan & Martin

Driver: Bernie

Game scout: Kloppers

Weapon: Blaser .375

Ammo: Norma

Observer: Julia, my daughter

Christmas 2013 saw me busy bidding for this hunt. There was the obvious call, giving a hand to a young man whose future as a PH was shattered, the selfish reason; another hunt with CMS/Alan Shearing.

Every time I believed it was in the salt, someone else stepped into the arena. Which of course is how it is and that is just fine. I was outbid, the highest bidder was however, not interested in the hunt itself and so I lucked in and I looked forward.

Meantime I exchanged emails with Anthony Howland and sadly we did not meet up as he moved to Zambia earlier than expected.

Thanks go out to CMS, Saaed, Aaron Neilson, and Brad Wroe. You will be happy to hear the hunt was a fine and successful one. Let me tell you about it.

We flew out of Copenhagen on August 4th, arrived at Johannesburg the next morning with enough time to connect to the SAA flight to Harare at 10.40. When we reached security, the number of passengers waiting to pass through were overwhelming, I have never seen so many at this security area, and with only two security stations available I knew there and then we would never make our connection to Harare. I approached a young official standing on the side with a wheelchair and asked him for help. One minute later I was in that wheelchair, wheeled past everyone, Julia “my nurse” following us and within a short time, we were cleared. Yes, I did tip him.

Myles McCallum picked us up at Harare Airport; we had booked one night at the Amanzie Lodge, not something we regret. Myles later joined us for dinner. A lovely place to unwind, get into hunting mode and just enjoy.

Alan arrived next morning in the company of Siraaj, head of DAPU, the Dande Anti-Poaching Unit; we had breakfast together and then took off for Dande, picking up our game scout and our trackers on the way in.

I could write a whole chapter on Siraaj. For those of you who have met him, I am sure you agree he is a unique and very capable young man.

Mururu welcomed us, Crispin, Simba, Goodlife and Goodfun. Coming home, that is how it felt. We were upgraded this year, and checked-in at cottage number 1.

Next morning, zeroing in. And then the hunt could begin. We drove, found tracks, followed tracks, followed herds, were among herds, were winded, the bulls took off, repeated the exercise and generally drove and walked a lot.

Enjoyed spectacular scenery in the hills, I will never tire of this area.

The morning of August 10th, we find fine fresh tracks from a herd and follow these. There are tracks from a couple of good bulls in this herd. It is a mixture of open and thick as we make our way towards them. The wind played havoc and at one stage, climbing up towards them, I see the ashes fly past my cheek and right into the buffalo’s noses. They take off, but we have a seen a massive old guy with a huge boss that gleams like silver, a monster, a beauty. And we continue, up and down, following them.

We came up to the herd after some hours; they are below us, relaxed and not aware. The sticks come up; we look at this fine old silver bossed beauty; hidden behind Mopani with his back to us, he does not co-operate. Alan whistles, he muuhs and tries several other sounds to get the big boy into the open. No response, no luck.

Then another bull catches Al’s attention. Standing facing us somewhere on my right and I get the “first look with your eyes Jytte” comment since I cannot find him through the scope. A frontal shot at some 80 meters from uphill and the bullet hits him hard. He leaps at the shot and limp out and up a hill with great difficulty, not able to keep up with the herd and we know he must be dead soon.

And so we sit around for half an hour awaiting a death bellow. Julia lies on her back munching through an apple, relaxed and happy, certain her mother did the job.

I am not quite as relaxed although I pretend to be while sucking on an orange. On previous buff hunts, it has taken some time to find and finish off my quarry. Including lion charges and a wounded buffalo one, and so I badly wanted to hunt and kill a buff all in one go. Shoot and fall over sort of scenery.

It was my decision to pull the trigger, the fact of the matter is that the scenario, the unknowing buffalo with plenty in the open was the finest opportunity, a one in a ten chance. And I knew that if I chose not to shoot, then I might turn down other less favorable scenarios.

No death bellow after the half hour so we got our gear together and continued on a search for the old buffalo. Plenty of blood to follow, I kept my “back in the head” eyes out for Julia who was right behind me as we tracked and looked for him. Very intense it was, fifteen minutes later Alan reacts quickly, the bull is moving in front of us, but Alan cannot get a shot off. So now we know the bull is not dead, but he is sick and unable to climb and move into heavy cover. Alan spots him one hour later and after several shots from Al and me he is dead. Pheew!

The relief was tangible.

A beauty he was, with as gnarled a boss as I have ever seen. Not a massive bodied bull, but very black and with scars on his body from many lion encounters.

My initial shot, while meant for vital organs, had skirted his left shoulder, doing serious damage, a question of a few centimeters left instead of right.

As per usual we were in the middle of nowhere. Not difficult to be in this huge area.

Four hours later the Cruiser winds its way into the area and the loading of our buffalo started. In the meantime we had enjoyed a buffalo filet, cooked over a fire Brad my cameraman started; it tasted great and was our lunch that day.

We returned to Mururu and Goodfun late that afternoon where we dropped off the old fellow, meanwhile the sundowner chairs and tables had been moved into the dry river bed, Rich Tabor (with his chilli concoctions) and Siraaj had checked in at camp, and we enjoyed life that evening (and the next few) with the full moon shining upon us and the fire warming us. Elephant in the thick behind us, relief and happiness, the hunt was a success.

Seven days hunting, four days and the hunt was over. We carried on and looked at cave paintings, walked riverbeds, studied birds and also shot a few. Brad Wroe, a fine gent and ditto cameraman, brought out a Beretta shotgun that I had the great pleasure of shooting. A beautiful weapon, easy on the shoulder and although a bit too long for me, the weapon and I managed a pigeon and three. It was great fun.

Sijaar drove us to Harare where we spent three nights with friends, visited Patrick Mavros studio where I finally got that elephant ring I had wanted for a long time. Enjoyed brunch with Brita and Richard Harland where Richard confirmed that he had had the greatest time with the Dagga boys.

Air Zimbabwe to Victoria Falls, a fine experience, and then Julia and I were tourists in a big way for two days. We stayed at Victoria Falls Safari Club, a most inviting place, we had dinner at the Boma, did the Falls on our own, lunched at the Victoria Falls Hotel, Julia did flight of the angels over the Falls, and on the last evening, we cruised the Zambezi River. Extraordinary all.

All bookings, hotels, transfers, heli ride, Boma dinner, Zambezi cruise were arranged by GetAway Safaris, Candy Pieters for us. It worked to perfection and once again, I’d like to thank her. She has the finest staff.

And so it leaves us with memories never to be forgotten. An outstanding hunt and visit in a country we hold close to heart.

Thank you.
Jytte

PS Brad and Julia talked photography a lot and the pictures posted here are a mixture of both their efforts.
Julia’s website www.hulujay.com and on Facebook: Julia Mejnertsen Photography. More pictures from our trip on these sites.

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Great adventure; thank you for sharing. Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Well done start to finish!! Great photos and write up!!

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well done Jytte. Not only on the hunt but for stepping up and purchasing the benefit hunt in the first place. You epitomize what hunting and hunters should all be about. tu2

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent !!!!!!!

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Great Report!!

Really like your photos
Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
One of the best reports that I have ever read on AR. tu2 I love Mururu Camp and that area of the Dande in the Zambezi Valley. Big Grin Congratulations!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A hearty congratulations Jytte! Well done. Hope you had a great time. From the smiles, it appears that you did.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine safari and a superb buffalo bull! Well done and well hunted.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report Jytte or as you say in Danish - Knæk og bræk Wink

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome - thanks for sharing!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Great report Jytte!

Off course you had a good hunt, except nothing else when you are out with Al, Martin, Maplan and the driver is Bernardi...

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
One of the best reports that I have ever read on AR.

Well said Vaughn...Absolutely with incredible fine-quality photos to boot tu2

Mej- I've been looking out for this one my dear friend! An INCREDIBLE safari indeed!

My very best to you and Julia...this is EXCEPTIONAL indeed clap Congratulations!!!
Couldn't happen to two better gals!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Well done Jyette. A big buff is on my bucket list. Someday!!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Well done on a great trip.
I am hunting with Alan next august.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A grand adventure. Thanks so much for sharing the story.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jytte! Your smile says it all.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well done Jytte. Not only on the hunt but for stepping up and purchasing the benefit hunt in the first place. You epitomize what hunting and hunters should all be about.

Dadburn it!
I hate it when a lawyer says something I wish I had said.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done - well done.

The pic of you sitting holding the Buffalo's horn "Hemingway Style", has to be one of the best composed photographs I've seen.

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was a great report! Your pictures are well composed and show a great mix of the experience, well done. Congrats on a great hunt for a worthy cause.

Thank you for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great buff. Good team effort and refreshing report.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Buff great hunt now your Daughter needs her first Buff

JK

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Stort tillykke Jytte

Måske kunne vi ses en dag så jeg så jeg kunne få hele historien. Du skyder så meget at jeg får mindreværds komplekser Smiler
Jeg må vist se å få bestilt en tur
Mvh Carl Frederik

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Jytte, glad it all worked out well for you!

Best,

Chris

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Jytte, what a great hunt and adventure you and your daughter had! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Extremely well done Jytte.

Mururu and staff are nothing short of amazing.
That Zim shaped flat rock, with Dande painted on it, is very familiar to me as I recently took a nice leopard not a stones throw from it.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Frederik Nagell:
Stort tillykke Jytte

Måske kunne vi ses en dag så jeg så jeg kunne få hele historien. Du skyder så meget at jeg får mindreværds komplekser Smiler
Jeg må vist se å få bestilt en tur
Mvh Carl Frederik

Haha Frederik. Ja, det går jo ikke. Vi har tænkt at invitere til middag snart. Så får du hele historien. Jytte

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTroskie:
Great stuff Jytte, glad it all worked out well for you!

Best,

Chris

Thank you Chris. Hope you're well and thriving. Good memories from our hunt together. Kudu and hyena should soon arrive in Denmark.

Warm regards to Sabina and yourself.
Jytte

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to thank all of you who took the time to read the report, reply and congratulate me on this hunt.

Jytte

One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Congrats on an outstanding hunt for a worthy cause! Thanks for sharing it with us!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jytte and Julia!

Just back as you have seen from a back to back ele bull hunt! As you know I was chasing my tail on both hunts only getting our eles on day 13 and day 14 respectively and as a result our plan to have dinner in your camp did not come off unfortunately!

Once again Jytte it is such a pleasure to have you and Julia in camp together and well done on a great hunt and for an excellent cause! As always Al , Brad and the whole crew loved having you girls and I hope that we will have you in Mururu again soon!! Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also thanks for your continued support of DAPU Jytte-it is much appreciated and as you have seen Siraaj has done an incredible job with DAPU this year!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Very nice buffalo and a great cause also. It's always special when one of your children come along. It makes for lifetime memories.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, girl!!!! You did it right! The only thing better than your shooting is your photography and writing!

Well done, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and a good cause Tac.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and your daughter clap

Great report, photos and a big thumbs up to all that were involved in this great benefit for Anthony. beer

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 442 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Nice buff and some excellent photos too. Hats off to you and your daughter and of course for being a major contributor to Anthony's cause.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull, congrats!

Your daughter is cute Wink

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrophyShotPrints:
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
One of the best reports that I have ever read on AR.

Well said Vaughn...Absolutely with incredible fine-quality photos to boot tu2

Mej- I've been looking out for this one my dear friend! An INCREDIBLE safari indeed!

My very best to you and Julia...this is EXCEPTIONAL indeed clap Congratulations!!!
Couldn't happen to two better gals!!!

Mej,

Sorry I missed this earlier.

Please contact Trophyshotprints as a print of your choice of the hunt was included sponsored by me as part of your package.

Best,

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote