ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Bow Hunt for Cape Buffalo with Rainer Josch -TZ
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bow Hunt for Cape Buffalo with Rainer Josch -TZ
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool report.

Followed your arrow developement thread; no one can say you didn't do your research. Wink

Good stuff all around....good luck with the bear.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Well done! A buffalo with a bow on that mountain is a tremendous accomplishment.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I know how painstakingly you planned this and experimented with your gear. This success must be immensely satisfying!

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
DonG, awesome hunt in superb style, truly well done!!!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Juha S.
posted Hide Post
WOW! Well done.

I'm jealous....

Posts: 21 | Location: Finland | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! dancing jumping

Don, I can't tell you how happy I am for you!! That dream was a long time coming, and you could not have scripted a better hunt or better ending. That photo is worth a MILLION bucks my friend. Congratulations! To you and to Rainer. He's a mountain buffalo machine. Smiler

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
Now that's hunting

x2! tu2

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting hunt - congratulations!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Great report and excellent hunt

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Great work. I cant imagine how you could see anything in all that foliage.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all your good wishes. This hunt was the culmination of saving and planning since 2006, so I won't minimize how great it was to bring it to a successful conclusion.

quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Great work. I cant imagine how you could see anything in all that foliage.

Rainer made the point several times that this was NOT the time or place to pursue a wounded bull.

Here's some typical undergrowth along a minor ridge trail. (Photo by Rainer Josch)

You can bet I was trying hard to place my shot.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very proper bull, in a very special place, with a bow. Well done!

I was in Masailand in March and went a good bit up Meru after the hunt. Vividly recall the mist and fog. Cannot imagine hunting buffalo in those mountain forests. Congratulations.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for sharing that with us; incredible adventure and photos!

Congratulations on an amazing hunt and buff!

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Dear Don

You know how your fantastic hunt can warm my heart.I am absolutely delighted that it was an absolute success. You're doing a tremendous work to promote archery and you fully deserve such a wonderful achievement. We have had good time in anticipation of your hunt when discussing options for arrows was at stake, and now it's sheer joy.
My deepest congratulations.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Don,

Well done! A buffalo with a bow on that mountain is a tremendous accomplishment.

Mark

+1

Hats off to you sir!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An incredible hunt and I know how much a fellow archer like JB will appreciate it! Well done!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Well don Don and Rainer! I find it interesting that you referred to your buff as a "cull buff"? For me that is definetely a trophy buff under any circumstance, let alone on Lolsimangoor (another spelling Big Grin).

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Rainer thought he was a non-breeding mature male. He was a bit stunted compared to the biggest/best males, hence it was appropriate to cull him from the herd. Rainer treats those herds like a farmer!

I'm very proud of my bull, but I recognize he's not SCI material. I never hunt horns ayway, so it detracts nothing from my overall satisfaction.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hey Don, You have to upgrade your photo all that grey hair.

Wonderful and a real hunt and well earned trophy.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Don, as one who will be 60 in March, I can appreciate the effort you put out. Wonderful job, and I know by lurking in the archery forum just how long you have worked on your tackle, especially your arrows and points. That's one of the finest trophies I have seen on AR.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the kind words.

Here's a pic proving that there is some grass on the mountain. This was a shorter section - some places it was over waist high. It's bermuda grass with all those runners, and tough to walk in even knee high if off trail.

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of climbing into the mists from down by German Springs towards the main ridge.

Also, my new "honesty in advertising" avatar, for Mike!

Don_G

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
What a great experience. Congratulations and well done.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Quite an adventure . . . the hard way as well.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not many buffalo hunts like this. Start to stop the entire hunt without ever stepping foot in a truck. All on foot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great hunt and a great report.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

I hope I one day will make my dream to hunt a buff with a bow come true too Smiler

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Not many buffalo hunts like this. Start to stop the entire hunt without ever stepping foot in a truck. All on foot.

Not only that, Rainer has put in a solar system for battery charging so that you never hear a generator, either. Civilization was rude after 13 days up there!

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great hunt!! Great inspiration for us 60 year olds... Your story is motivation for my next hunt to work harder to be in the best possible shape. By the way where did you obtain the energy and recovery drinks?

Tim

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
At the yuppiest outdoor store in the world. REI has an outlet near me here in Denver.

Don_G

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:

Not only that, Rainer has put in a solar system for battery charging so that you never hear a generator, either. Civilization was rude after 13 days up there!

Isn't that the truth! The harshness of returning to civilization is what I hate the most about Safari being over each time. What a wonderful hunt you had.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Dude! Congratulations; you earned it! Beautiful trophy.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Proper hunt MAN!!

Congratulations, that is a buff bow hunt done the hard way! That very well might be the most cool hunt I've read about on AR EVER!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Don,

Proper hunt MAN!!

Congratulations, that is a buff bow hunt done the hard way! That very well might be the most cool hunt I've read about on AR EVER!

I couldn't agree more Greg. I certainly don't have the greatest depth or width of experience with cape buffalo, but I have taken 5 and been right there on 5 others in a number of different areas in Tanzania (incl one on that very mountain), and I truly believe that a mountain buffalo taken with archery equipment (particularly under those conditions -- 100% on foot from the bottom of the mountain) is THE most EPIC way to take a cape buffalo. tu2 tu2 (two thumbs up to my buddy Don for making it happen!)

Cheers,
Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Sir, you are a true hunter.

Regards,

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don_G,

I did that hunt and left Arusha on April 1st.

Just wanted you to know they are fast on getting your trophies back. My mountain buffalo and plains game arrived today.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
That's great news. Thanks for the info.

Four months is fast! Rainer was worried because the dip/pack guy he'd used for years had just died. I hope mine come through.

Don_G

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
cool area and great hunt congrats !

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Rainer reports that his next few Safaris went well also. Hope to see him this week, as he's coming through Denver. I'll buy his supper if he tells me the tales! Smiler

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don_G

Could you ask him about the new owner of their area and how that is working. In April it sounded good but I have not heard since.

Thank you
Sg

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I will do that if I get a chance.

Don_G