Find
Notify
Tools

Feb/March 2020- Uganda group hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
I just returned from another phenomenal trip to Uganda. We set this up as a WTA group trip, but we were all friends beforehand. Friends Tom Niederer, Mike Jines, Russell Marshall and myself made up the group. Jay Cohea was supposed to go, but sadly his father had some major health problems, and he had to postpone.
We also had Andy and Dan MacDonald along filming the whole thing for Tracks Across Africa/Dark and Dangerous, and these guys were beyond top notch. In all they got an incredible amount of footage, so there will be quite a few TV shows that come out of this trip.They probably got 25+ kills on film.

I don't have all the photos from everyone right now, and any of the guys feel free to post what I don't have. In short, we had a buff hunt for the ages. 4 of us hunted 2x1 and in 6 days, we took 12 great bulls. We took 3 actual scrum caps, and some other very old bulls.
In Karamojo, Russell and Tom both took Gunther's did-dik, Tom a duiker and reedbuck, and Russell a warthog.

Then we went on to Aswa Lolim near the Nile where we visited Murchison Falls and Mike took 2 great kob, Tom and I both shot one each as did Christian our outfitter. Then Mike and Tom both took Jackson's hartebeest, and Tom a Defassa waterbuck.

After that, Russ went home to be there when his daughter had a baby, and the other 3 of us went to the Kafu River basin. There we took a couple of bushbuck each (they have both East Africa and Nile). Mike also took a reedbuck.

We had no trouble getting home through Europe, and honestly the Corona screening was a total joke.

I am sure Uganda will open back up after this Corona virus scare is over, and it is just an incredible safari destination if you haven't been. In Karamojo, we literally saw thousands of buffalo each day. You could say that you wanted to hunt super old, wide, deep, whatever, and you expected to go find such a buff.

If anyone is interested in hunting Uganda, please feel free to PM me. I am going to let the pics tell most of the story. May add some later...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Excellent all round. Unfortunately no more hunting here till the virus goes away.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to watching the show!

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I love those hornless buffalo clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Are these all Nile buffalo?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
So the word is if the drop goes below the eye, it’s a Cape. If doesn’t drop below eye, Nile. Sort of silly to me. They are all living and breeding together. So they are buffalo !

I am not much into categories, so...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Hunting Uganda has a magical ring to it for me. Looks like you guys had a good time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
congratulations. A great safari! Very interesting the photo with the withe buffalo

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Details, please, about the take down rifle...thanks..

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Takedown was a Dakota Traveler with .458 win and .300 win. Topped with Trijicon scopes.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Takedown was a Dakota Traveler with .458 win and .300 win. Topped with Trijicon scopes.

Thanks.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic hunt.

Did you see many elephant and buffalo in Murchison Falls NP?

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, Dakota rifle. Well played!

Congrats on a super hunt gentlemen.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Some AWESOME buff, Tim. Someday .......

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Amazing hunt and trophies.

I bet that is the most number of really old bulls shot in one single safari in the last 10 years or more.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Safari2 - we did see plenty of eles and buff in the park. We also saw lots of eles in the Karamojo hunt area. 3 years ago, I saw elephants once. This year we saw them every day and many times numerous groups in a day. They were very relaxed and undisturbed.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Great old bulls. What is the story on the white pigment? Is that rare or something you see in Uganda?

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Scrum caps and bushbuck! Great hunt, thanks for posting.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
No idea on the pigmentation on the spotted cow. No one had ever seen that before. There are quite a few of the buff that have red on them like the bull in the photo.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice hunt! Uganda is on my radar. Hope to be in touch soon Tim.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
So the word is if the drop goes below the eye, it’s a Cape. If doesn’t drop below eye, Nile. Sort of silly to me. They are all living and breeding together. So they are buffalo !

I am not much into categories, so...

Is there a price difference?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Andrew- not really. They are all on a buffalo trophy fee...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I had an absolutely fantastic safari with my fellow hunters at Uganda Wildlife Safaris. I hunted with Christian almost three years ago to the day of this safari and on that trip I traveled to the Aswa Lolim Reserve and Kafu River Basin taking some very nice trophies of cob, hartebeest, waterbuck, bushbuck, reedbuck, bush pig and buffalo. Seeing the amount and quality of game on that trip, I knew I had to go back!

When Tim talked to me about a return trip to hunt the Karamoja North concession next to Kidepo National Park, I was all in. We planned this hunt almost two years out but it was worth the wait. I have hunted buffalo across Africa on 26 safaris and I have never seen the numbers or variety of buffalo as I did in this concession. The horn variations, color combinations and sheer sizes of the herds were amazing. I felt like I was witnessing the "old" East Africa of the 40's and 50's. I took three nice, mature buffalo: a Nile-type bull, an excellent cape buffalo and a grizzled old scrum cap. We intentionally never hunted herds, instead focusing on small groups or single bulls. My cape and scrum cap bulls were loners. What I thought amazing was we took three scrum caps out of our group of four hunters. I had only seen one other scrum cap buffalo in all my previous safaris.

Needless to say, for the buff enthusiast, the Karamoja is a "must see". I had a couple of folks ask me if the hunting was too easy... I have to laugh at that one. After all the boot leather I have worn off tracking buffalo through thorn scrub, across swamps and over hills a buff hunt like this is just plain fun. It is East African buff hunting at it's finest.

Thanks again Tim, Tom and Mike, gentlemen all. I look forward to the next camp we share. And hats off to Christian Weth and the UWS team. I look forward to traveling back to the Karamoja one day to witness thousands of buffalo streaming across the east African landscape.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great hunt, thank you for sharing!#!
Looks like the quality of "Old East Africa." That's one for the To Do list!!
CHEERS,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic buffalo. Amazing to get that many quality buff in a group hunt.

Interesting photo of the pie bald/blue roan cow.

PG are great too. Congratulations to all. Glad you made it back before the mess got serious.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Love the scrum cap bulls. Fantastic trophies.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing looks impressive.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote