ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Buffalo, sable, warthog in South Africa

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo, sable, warthog in South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
My second hunt in South Africa this year was to be another bore rifle hunt. This time with a Walter Locke double 8-bore that was retailed in India approximately 1890. The rifle sports 24-inch barrels and weighs a manageable 17 pounds; which is much easier to carry than the 24-pound 4-bore of my hunt the end of June. This 8-bore is a “large” 8 with bore diameters of .875” rather than the more common true 8-bore of .845” The large 8-bore shoots a spherical ball of 1000 grains, making it a true 7-bore.

For those interested in ballistics, here is my hunting load for the Locke: 70 grains of Unique pistol powder, a 1/8” over powder wad set to 100 pounds of pressure, a few felt spacer wads, and a 1000-grain spherical ball set in place with a light crimp just ahead of the ball’s equator. Muzzle velocity is 1528 fps, muzzle energy is 5186 ft pounds, Taylor’s Knock Out value is 181 and felt recoil is 65.8 as calculated from Shooter’s Calculator.com. Projectiles are powder coated to reduce leading.

The ranch I hunted is Haakdoorn Safaris and is about an hour’s drive north of Thabazimbi; very close to the Botswana border. While the property is fenced (as is all private hunting property in South Africa) the perimeter fence is 57 kilometers or 35.5 miles and hunting there is truly “fair chase.”

There are about 160 buffalo on the ranch with about 10% being trophy bulls and over a dozen plains game species—all born on the ranch to live free and die there. Haakdoorn is owned by Basie Kuhn and he is developing his ranch into a prime hunting property. Buffalo hunting began there in 2017 and to date 28 trophy bulls have been taken. One bull, born on the ranch 12 years ago, was not allowed to be shot if seen by hunters as his genes were wanted to be spread on the ranch due to his great horn width.

During my hunt a month ago Basie and I spotted the bull and he didn’t seem right. He was out of the herd and losing weight. He may have been injured by another, younger, bull. A week after I returned home Basie asked if I wanted the bull. Bottom line: if he died on his own he was worth zero to the ranch and if a hunter took him the ranch would get some income. I agreed and bought a ticket.

The week before I arrived the bull was not seen. We looked for a couple of days until we saw him on the grassy plain, feeding with another bull. The wind was right and we moved in a straight line concealed by a large bush (or small tree). As the bull moved closer I set my rifle on sticks to the left of the bush. Seeing this, the bull changed direction to his left and I did so, also. My first shot tore through his heart and he bucked like a saddle bronc. He turned to ran and I shot again hitting him high on the left side but behind the shoulder and through the top of his lungs.

As he turned in our direction to run my camera man (PH Johan Nel) dropped his camera and grabbed his rifle. This was not necessary as the bull turned and ran parallel to us and stopped. Reloading, I aimed for a side on shoulder shot and he immediately turned away. My shot hit his right leg at the shoulder and broke the bone and he fell. Another shot through his left shoulder I thought ended him but he raised his head and then his head dropped with the common death bellow. A final shot ended his life but was really not needed. Actually, anything after the first shot was not necessary but it is good to end it quickly.

A couple of days later we went looking for sable. We came to a water hole with fresh tracks both going in and out but no sable or another animals. We made a two hour circle of several kilometers and came back to the pan. Oh, my word! There was a huge sable leaving the pan. He didn’t see us and the wind was right so we stalked through the to within 50 yards. The bull stopped behind a clump of trees. I set the Locke 8-bore on sticks and waited for him to resume walking. When he did so, Basie whistled to get him to stop and I fired, hitting him behind the shoulder and through his lungs. He was well hit and he walked or stumbled slowly into the grass. I ran and gave him a finishing shot. He was dead but still on his feet. The second shot was not necessary but it hastened death so it was the right thing to do.

My last day we sat at a pan looking for a big warthog. A good tusker came in and as he drank a single shot quartering on ended his existence. Warthogs are the only animal I have taken sitting in a hide at a pan.

Final tally: the buffalo measured 47 7/8”, the sable the exact same at 47 7/8”, and the pig’s tusks measured 10” out of the lip. All in, it was a great experience to take an old vintage 8-bore to the field.

I will get videos of the buffalo and sable soon.
Thanks for looking.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
My second hunt in South Africa this year was to be another bore rifle hunt. This time with a Walter Locke double 8-bore that was retailed in India approximately 1890. The rifle sports 24-inch barrels and weighs a manageable 17 pounds; which is much easier to carry than the 24-pound 4-bore of my hunt the end of June. This 8-bore is a “large” 8 with bore diameters of .875” rather than the more common true 8-bore of .845” The large 8-bore shoots a spherical ball of 1000 grains, making it a true 7-bore.

For those interested in ballistics, here is my hunting load for the Locke: 70 grains of Unique pistol powder, a 1/8” over powder wad set to 100 pounds of pressure, a few felt spacer wads, and a 1000-grain spherical ball set in place with a light crimp just ahead of the ball’s equator. Muzzle velocity is 1528 fps, muzzle energy is 5186 ft pounds, Taylor’s Knock Out value is 181 and felt recoil is 65.8 as calculated from Shooter’s Calculator.com. Projectiles are powder coated to reduce leading.

The ranch I hunted is Haakdoorn Safaris and is about an hour’s drive north of Thabazimbi; very close to the Botswana border. While the property is fenced (as is all private hunting property in South Africa) the perimeter fence is 57 kilometers or 35.5 miles and hunting there is truly “fair chase.”

There are about 160 buffalo on the ranch with about 10% being trophy bulls and over a dozen plains game species—all born on the ranch to live free and die there. Haakdoorn is owned by Basie Kuhn and he is developing his ranch into a prime hunting property. Buffalo hunting began there in 2017 and to date 28 trophy bulls have been taken. One bull, born on the ranch 12 years ago, was not allowed to be shot if seen by hunters as his genes were wanted to be spread on the ranch due to his great horn width.

During my hunt a month ago Basie and I spotted the bull and he didn’t seem right. He was out of the herd and losing weight. He may have been injured by another, younger, bull. A week after I returned home Basie asked if I wanted the bull. Bottom line: if he died on his own he was worth zero to the ranch and if a hunter took him the ranch would get some income. I agreed and bought a ticket.

The week before I arrived the bull was not seen. We looked for a couple of days until we saw him on the grassy plain, feeding with another bull. The wind was right and we moved in a straight line concealed by a large bush (or small tree). As the bull moved closer I set my rifle on sticks to the left of the bush. Seeing this, the bull changed direction to his left and I did so, also. My first shot tore through his heart and he bucked like a saddle bronc. He turned to ran and I shot again hitting him high on the left side but behind the shoulder and through the top of his lungs.

As he turned in our direction to run my camera man (PH Johan Nel) dropped his camera and grabbed his rifle. This was not necessary as the bull turned and ran parallel to us and stopped. Reloading, I aimed for a side on shoulder shot and he immediately turned away. My shot hit his right leg at the shoulder and broke the bone and he fell. Another shot through his left shoulder I thought ended him but he raised his head and then his head dropped with the common death bellow. A final shot ended his life but was really not needed. Actually, anything after the first shot was not necessary but it is good to end it quickly.

A couple of days later we went looking for sable. We came to a water hole with fresh tracks both going in and out but no sable or another animals. We made a two hour circle of several kilometers and came back to the pan. Oh, my word! There was a huge sable leaving the pan. He didn’t see us and the wind was right so we stalked through the to within 50 yards. The bull stopped behind a clump of trees. I set the Locke 8-bore on sticks and waited for him to resume walking. When he did so, Basie whistled to get him to stop and I fired, hitting him behind the shoulder and through his lungs. He was well hit and he walked or stumbled slowly into the grass. I ran and gave him a finishing shot. He was dead but still on his feet. The second shot was not necessary but it hastened death so it was the right thing to do.

My last day we sat at a pan looking for a big warthog. A good tusker came in and as he drank a single shot quartering on ended his existence. Warthogs are the only animal I have taken sitting in a hide at a pan.

Final tally: the buffalo measured 47 7/8”, the sable the exact same at 47 7/8”, and the pig’s tusks measured 10” out of the lip. All in, it was a great experience to take an old vintage 8-bore to the field.

I will get videos of the buffalo and sable soon.
Thanks for looking.
Cal

Nice, that is one grand old warrior of a buffalo! Well done Cal!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done... Super buff, sable and warthog!

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Cal, some nice memories and great animals.

Thank you for sharing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had great time, good for you Cal..Beautiful animals

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Cal: Truly the buff of a lifetime, taken the way he should have been hunted. Well played.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Well done Cal! tu2

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen. Hunting is special to us all and I enjoy the use of a vintage double.
Let's see what next year brings.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent trophies. Congrats on your hunt.
Bruce

Posts: 371 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Great report! Could we see the loads and bullets? I can’t wrap my head around how big this 8 bore is...

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic old animals. Love the fact that you're keeping these rifles in service too.

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
This is a fantastic read, Cal. Glad to hear of the positive experience in RSA, as Dad and I are headed there next May for the same. I realize it's not "wild" Africa in the olde tyme sense, but so long as the hunting is fair chase, I'm good. Truly a monster buff, no doubt brought about by the selective management and breeding.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Great report! Could we see the loads and bullets? I can’t wrap my head around how big this 8 bore is...

Here is an original 4-bore rifle and shotgun cartridge. To the right is an 8-bore case. Above each are bullets recovered from the buffalo--soft tissue shots are fairly round and bone hits are distorted. Between them is a .308 to compare.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Great pic, thanks Cal

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
This is a fantastic read, Cal. Glad to hear of the positive experience in RSA, as Dad and I are headed there next May for the same. I realize it's not "wild" Africa in the olde tyme sense, but so long as the hunting is fair chase, I'm good. Truly a monster buff, no doubt brought about by the selective management and breeding.

Clayman:
You make an interesting point about selective management. I know nothing about breeding. This bull was seen off and on by hunters since hunting began on the ranch in 2017 and he was off limits to shooting. His genes were wanted on the ranch, of course. He was born on the ranch, not imported to breed.

Also, I have seen 50-inch and bigger bulls auctioned for huge prices. So, here is what I don't understand. Any ranch that keeps a big bull in the herd to breed tells me his offspring should become big bulls when they mature. But, I don't see it on this ranch or others.

This was the biggest bull by far and the ranch, has been so for years, but none other was like him as to size. He was breeding for years. Is it really the breeding or just a chance; like men are 5'6" and some are 6'5". That's not breeding it's just the way individuals are.

The only reason he was to be taken out was he was injured by another bull and was out of the herd and was hurting. Where his tail connected to his body was torn and bloody.

Just my 2 cents (or 1 billion dollars Zim.)
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, Thanks for the good story and photos. Well done. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, I just noticed that farm is near where I like to hunt at Africa Dawn Safaris. Beautiful country with lots of history.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story, thanks for sharing!

Sam

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 15 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report. Thanks, Cal!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kingsview Safaris
posted Hide Post
Some truly outstanding trophies. Congrats sir.

Listen to our Podcast - Round The Fire With Kingsview Safaris

info@kingsviewsafaris.co.za
www.kingsviewsafaris.co.za
HC50/2015EC

Posts: 67 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 29 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report, Cal. Thanks for posting it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your kind words, fellas. I'm taking four hunters with me in May to the ranch. Should be fun.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on some very nice animals and with that magnificent old 8!! Great stuff!!

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report. Love the fact you hunt with the vintage rifles.
Larry

Posts: 371 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Great report. Fantastic Cape Buffalo.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Cal! South Africa has some great hunting!

That is A great bull!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the words, fellas.
If anyone would like to go over to the ranch, PM me and I'll send the details. I am taking over four hunters the end of May.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the words, fellas.
If anyone would like to go over to the ranch, PM me and I'll send the details. I am taking over four hunters the end of May.
Cal

Is this the same infamous ranch your deranged criminal operating in illegally?

Where silly idiots with big guns and no clue about hunting try to kill pet, ear tagged buffalo?

Miss and wound them and chase them all day?

Must be a grand place for "hunting" clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66752 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughts, Saeed.

I see you are still pissed over the fact you were played with a few years ago so your anger is understandable. The funny thing is that you don't have a clue as to the extent of it and who took part (wasn't just me).

But, as we are such good friends I will fill you in on the entire story when we meet up in Dubai for a night on the town: dinner, drinks, perhaps check out some hot Muslim babes in a wet burka contest, etc.

You are, and will always be, an amazing man that I admire greatly.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the thoughts, Saeed.

I see you are still pissed over the fact you were played with a few years ago so your anger is understandable. The funny thing is that you don't have a clue as to the extent of it and who took part (wasn't just me).

But, as we are such good friends I will fill you in on the entire story when we meet up in Dubai for a night on the town: dinner, drinks, perhaps check out some hot Muslim babes in a wet burka contest, etc.

You are, and will always be, an amazing man that I admire greatly.
Cal

Sadly, I cannot say I admire anything about you.

And don't even dream of meeting me.

I pick normal, decent, men to make friends with.

I avoid idiots like the plague!

And you and mark Sullivan, the man known the world over as the MARK OF A FART, are as far anyone can get from being a normal, decent member of our hunting community!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66752 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Eeker Eeker Eeker rotflmo clap