Buffalo at Sondelani
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hunt date; 14 days, mid-September in early October

PH; Gary Hopkins/Kripkral Travel and Safari

Agent; Mark Young

Travel Agent; Shawn at Gracy Travel

Flights; United from Minneapolis to JNBwiyh a connection at Newark, Airlink from JNB to Bulawayo

Rifles; Francotte 475#2 double and an older custom FN Mauser 300 H&H, barreled by W.A.Sukalle

Game taken; 2 buffalo, Bushbuck, Eland, and a Wildebeest

I've hunted previously with Gary in Gokwe North and Ngamo. For some time now, Gary has been "marketing" me to try a Buffalo hunt at Sondelani. My plan was to do a hunt with him in 2020, Covid put a stop to that. After some starts and stops, I jumped through the Covid hoops and made it happen in 2021.
The farm boy in me would call Sondelani neither grassland nor forest. There are a few tall trees, the exception being along the river where they are more numerous. The area is predominately ten-foot-high thorn scrub and Mopane. Gary says, "everything in Sondelani scratches or bites". Being as thick as it is, it's a great place to use a double rifle. By the time we stalked close enough to judge a bull, we were in iron sight range.

Buffalo were hunted as normal, that is find some tracks in the morning and follow up. Our efforts were usually busted by Impala, Giraffe, or a change in the wind.
I shot the first Buff on about day four. He was in a group of four bulls but was the only one that offered a shot. The others were obscured by the bush. After a broadside shot with the 475, he ran a short way, out of sight and we heard him bellow. AS we approached the downed bull his three companions took off, he got to his feet and tried to run off! I snapped off a shot and he dropped like a Grouse.

We continued to hunt for a second bull but I won't go into the details of our failures. Late in the day, we would still hunt for Bushbuck, after a few evenings one was spotted, feeding across the river,_ so I finally had my first Bushbuck.

I connected on a second Buff after tracking a small group of them in the morning and having our chances blown by some Impala. The trackers picked up the trail after a lunch break. With a favorable wind, we hadn't gone far before they spotted two Buffalo laying in the thick stuff. I couldn't judge the horns or were to place my shot, as I had forgotten my binoculars. That got me some dirty looks! Gary sent one of the trackers to fetch them. I still can't believe they didn't make us. With the bino's back in my hands, I could only see the ass end of one and parts of the other. When he turned his head, his face looked old and the bosses good. I picked an opening in the thorns and put the shot into his back, in order to reach his vitals. He bellowed and was off with three others, two we hadn't seen. Shortly, there was another bellow. Again the others were hanging with the down bull until we were in sight. This one didn't get up but I put a couple more in him to finish it.

I completed my hunt by taking a very old, very broomed Eland, (another story), and a Wildebeest.

In conclusion, James and Jimmy were good trackers and fun to be around.

Sondelani was originally built as a tourist destination, as a hunting camp, it's upscale.

The Buffalo are as unwilling to be participants as elsewhere.

I enjoy hunting Buffalo, so yes, I'd go back.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Sondelani was originally built as a tourist destination, so as a hunting camp,_it's upscale.

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I did my first safari there in 1988.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[IMG:top] [/IMG]

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great looking venue and animals. Do you know why it did not succeed as a Tourist destination?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know enough of the history to give a proper answer. I believe, being in competition with the Victoia Falls area was a factor.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rglenz:
I don't know enough of the history to give a proper answer. I believe, being in competition with the Victoia Falls area was a factor.

thanks

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Old school rifles and calibers, and excellent animals. Great job!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Well done. Beautiful bulls. Anybody wanting a similar adventure can see my ad for Sondelani with 2022 pricing at the link below.

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../frm/f/832100588/p/4

Cheers,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Oustanding report and pics! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt!

What is the size of the hunting area?

Posts: 1859 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Great hunt!

What is the size of the hunting area?

It's roughly 20,000 acres.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide