ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Leopard hunt in the SVC with Mokore safaris

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard hunt in the SVC with Mokore safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Area : Mokore ,SVC
Operator: Mokore Safaris
Client: Kirk and Anne
PH: Neil Duckworth
Type of hunt: Leopard ,plainsgame
Dates: 1 -15 June 2015

This was to be Kirk and Anne’s first safari with Mokore Safaris. Leopard was at the top of Kirk’s list and if successful a few plainsgame for either of them.

To start we set out to get a bunch of bait. Zebra to me is prime leopard bait so they were top of the list. Fortunately it did not take long to get a few donkeys down.

We then set out to hanging them out and getting our bait sites ready for action. It was not long until we had several females and a couple average tom’s feed.

On the forth night we got a hit from a big tom and set out to get a blind set up. Due to the increased numbers of elephant and lion we decided to use a tree blind.

After a long night of sleeping in the tree blind we climbed out at day break to find the big tom’s tracks at the base of the tree but had not fed. We had moved the bait a bit to try get a better angle for a shot and this may have scared him off.

Anne managed to get several impala which were also used for bait.

The next night we sat again until midnight ,at about 8 pm we heard a leopard start feeding ,thinking it was the male as no female had fed on this bait yet I turned on the light. A big female which Kirk got to watch through his scope for a couple minutes. At least now he had a good idea of what to expect. The male did not show that night. We left the bait the next night and removed the blind from the tree and he came and fed.
We then changed the blind to an approach blind where we were to lie about 150 meters from the bait with a cleared path to the blind. It was a long shot of 80 m but made a solid rest with sand bag, arm rest etc for Kirk. At 6 pm we heard feeding on the bait, we made our way slowly to the blind and put the light on. A young leopard was feeding so turned the rheostat light off and returned to our approach blind. After a short while I heard the leopard jump out the tree and another climb up ,thinking it could be the male we approached to find the big female feeding from the night before. So we returned again to our beds. We repeated this a couple more times . At 8 pm it went quiet. At 9 pm I heard what sounded like a bigger cat feeding so we approached again. When the light came on I could see it was the male so told Kirk to take careful aim. The leopard was sitting broadside on the branch. With the shot the cat spun out of the tree with a slight growl and then all was silent. Not a good sign.

The truck eventually arrived and we made our way to the base of the tree, no blood could be seen but I heard a faint growl come from some thick bush behind the bait warning us not to enter. We decided to come back in the morning and after a short and sleepless night we came back and found him dead in the same thicket where I heard the growl.

A magnificent cat the measured 7’ 9 “ ,155 pounds and had a skull of 17 “. We were a happy bunch of hunter.

Kirks leopard cake.

With the leopard down we took it easy and picked up a few nice trophies . The only thing on Kirks list that eluded us was a klipspringer. Several good males were seen but we could not connect.

This is one very large male which just stood there for the photograph before Kirk decided he wanted on, we tried for him several times after this but it wasn’t meant to be.

The one morning we saw this magnificent Eland bull run across the road, we followed him and after a short track we managed to get a shot. Unfortunately the shot hit a little far back so we had to follow him up and eventually he went down to a running shot with the 505 Gibbs.
A giant bull which measured 41 inchers!!

Another animal on Kirk's list was a bushbuck ,we picked this ram up along the Turgwe river.

Anne's wildebeest bull taken late evening after an exciting stalk.

A geaneafowl for us and a rock dassie for the trackers.

Some of the many animals seen from the Mokore camp deck on this safari.

Two camp bushbuck , one over 17 ".

Kudu

Waterbuck

Elephant

Buffalo

Some photos of the camp.

Some other sights from the safari.

An elephant bull with a bit of attitude!

A 58+ inch kudu which Kirk passed up.

A 30 " wildebeest .

Some giraffe.

Kirk and Anne at the Mokore big tree.

Hippo cow and calf.

Zebra.

On the last evening we went onto a view point and enjoyed some G & T's with a view.

This was a fun trip and my hat of to Kirk and Anne. What an achievement for a 78 year old man to get some great trophies and a leopard of a lifetime.

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paradise! Congrats all-round!

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Neil,
That's the stuff dreams are made of.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report! Thanks. How old is that tree?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a safari! Very well done. Excellent pics.
I've seen some big Baobabs but the size of that tree is certainly at the top.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the hunter and huntress. Well done , Neil

Posts: 261 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent hunt - the save is a special place.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great pictures there, thanks for posting them.

Edited to add:

How did you pass on that 30" Wildebeest and the 17" bushbuck? Gorgeous animals!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
great hunt and photos, congrats,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I am still going to Africa when I am 78 and hope to have hottie with me like yours. Congrats.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1848 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Wow great hunt. Congrats!
I love that big wildebeest picture. What a monster!

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Very well done!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful hunt! It's great to see all the wildlife from the deck. Lunch breaks at Mokore I loved watching all the birds and animals around the river. That was one of my favorite parts of my time there. Nine months until my son and I go. Save one of those huge eland for him!

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2 Man, I would have shot that Kudu in a New York second!! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Well Done...What a Safari!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations great hunt nice leopard

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neil,

You are THE Madala's PH. Great safari as always and congratulation to all involved.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where had the shot hit the cat?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. Great Leopard and superb camp.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The baobab is estimated to be about 4000 years old?? It is the biggest tree we know of in Africa 140 foot in circumference . It is 400 meters from our camp.

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Mokore is a special place indeed. Great report Neil, thanks for sharing.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fantastic safari - a good job well done

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the cake with the leopard in the grass. Having a wounded leopard growl at you in the brush, at night, now that is a memory you won't forget. Save must be a special place, I need to experience it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The next to the last pic says it all! When you hang out with the Duckworths on safari it's all smiles.Nice job again Neil!

Kurt

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oryxhunter if you look in the middle of the stomach you will see the shot. I bit far back.

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a wonderful Safari!!!

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Duckworth
posted Hide Post
Great Hunt and a great cat Makorokoto!!!

Doug Duckworth
Professional Hunter
Mokore Safaris
@dougduckworthsafaris
dougduckworth@mokore.com
www.mokoresafarisafrica.com
@dougduckworthsafaris.com

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations another great safari perfectly organized and with great trophies . tu2

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote