ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Kafue Flats report (More Photos added)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kafue Flats report (More Photos added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted
Posting on behalf of Fairgame (Andrew)

Some of you would have read that I was conducting an experimental safari deep into the Kafue Flats to hunt really big Lechwe. This was to be a four-day venture with the minimum of kit. I chose two friends as guinea pigs to accompany me. I did offer this as a free hunt to AR but only had one member respond and unfortunately could not make the dates. It would seem you cannot even give away hunting nowadays? They would shoot the Lechwe and I was just keen to see what was out there and see if I could offer this as a safari. Historically the hunting of Kafue Lechwe has been conducted on the edges of the flood plain, as vehicles cannot breach the wetter hinterlands.

A really good trophy Lechwe would measure somewhere between 27 and 30 inches and for me the shape and symmetry of the horns are also very much a deciding factor.

Both mates being soldiers were in good shape and impervious to hard hunting conditions. We took in a small aluminium boat as the Flats are flooded and I thought the going would be easier by boat.

How wrong I was and the water was very shallow and we had to drag and push the boat a couple of miles through mud and mire before it would float. Movement was then limited to narrow reedy channels where visibility was poor. Our guide a local fisherman had not got a clue where we were going and it transpired that very few had dared venture deep into the swamps here.

There were Lechwe but they were difficult to spot and we would abandon the boat to wade and trudge through difficult terrain. The going was quite brutal and we walked many miles through the mire to secure good trophies. Although the hunting was tough it was different and we had a thoroughly good time. We looked over countless animals but could never get a shot at those that would break records. The truly big bulls would be glassed from a great distance and by the time we got on them they simply disappeared into the high reed banks.

Day one we had but a slim chance at a brute that would have gone at least 37 but he like the others was quickly swallowed up by the swamp and all we had was a few tantalising glimpses of his massive horns.

Conditions were such that the hunting was exhausting but we persevered and over the next two days took great Lechwe well over thirty inches and a very handsome 35-inch brute. The boys were very happy with their trophies and indeed the whole experience. Some Lechwe were rough skinned in the water or carried out to a base camp by boat often arriving well after dark. Calibres used were 30.06 and 300 WM, which both worked very well and all shots were over 200 yards. Note these soldiers had been Rangers in the past and their shooting was top notch.

We are planning now to go back in November when the water has receded and will go in further as I really want to have the new world record, not for the book, but simply to hold it in my hands.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3323 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Wow, super Lechwe. More photos would be nice.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great adventure, and the results are incredible. Andrew, you can count on me to bug you about such a trip for 2011 when we meet up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SGraves, Done thats all of em

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3323 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the B&W pics!! Congrats.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the first picture is my favorite.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm not qualified to judge the trophies but they sure look impressive to me. It also looks like a hell of a tough hunt.

Thanks for the report.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
I love the B&W pics!! Congrats.

Aaron,

Maybe we could throw in and buy Andrew a camera that takes color photo's.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Now that's hunting!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like the hunt (and adventure) of a lifetime!

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice Lechwe.
What a pity that I had to work. Mad

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Very nice Andrew

I want to do that tu2

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Wow, nice Lechwe.

I am thinking we can get a group of maybe four AR members together for next year to look for the big one?

You have to be fit and there are few comforts until you get back to base camp.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9844 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
andrew

impressive trophy's i cant wait to get down and see your hunting grounds.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Wow, nice Lechwe.

I am thinking we can get a group of maybe four AR members together for next year to look for the big one?

You have to be fit and there are few comforts until you get back to base camp.

That's a good idea tu2 . I've already send you a pm.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

It is shocking to me just how much the terrain looks like the flats here locally on the St Johns river.

Posts: 11905 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report and pics, I like the sound of these tough hunts in wild places.

Let me know if you need a buddy for the next hunt, I will make sure I can come, even if I have to pull a long-term sickie from work!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Quite an adventure!

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Very nice Andrew
That is real hunting!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
andrew

best

peter

Peter,

We are planning that you are going to join us in November and this will be part of your Zambian experience.

I might get my younger and fitter PH to conduct this sort of hunt whilst I potter around the edge of the Flats with my shotgun?

Regards

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one big bruiser of a Lechwe and those B&W photos are classics. Congrats on a great adventure.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1846 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
What a great experience! Great pictures also. Thanks for sharing.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Very nice.

It is shocking to me just how much the terrain looks like the flats here locally on the St Johns river.

Larry,

Unlike St Johns river the Flats are some 200kms in width and up to 50kms deep. Currently the hunting has been confined to less than 2% of this vast wetland.

We just scratched the surface and came out with a Lechwe a couple of inches off the all time record.

There are very high thirties to forty inch Lechwe out there and I have seen them. That would compare to an eighty inch Kudu I believe?

However it is a difficult safari to sell as you are targeting one specie and one animal.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Andrew. I love the adventure of that type of hunt.. That lechwe is just unreal. If you saw bigger, I can only imagine what those bulls looked lke. Unreal.

Wonderful trophies your mate took. Congrats.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
andrew

best

peter

Peter,

We are planning that you are going to join us in November and this will be part of your Zambian experience.

I might get my younger and fitter PH to conduct this sort of hunt whilst I potter around the edge of the Flats with my shotgun?

Regards

Andrew

andrew

do you have a younger and fitter gunsmith on hand as well, then i will join you with the shotgun Wink best out of 10 shots carry the beer beer i really am in awe, over the pictures you send me, it looks like a small piece of heaven.

best

peter

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
andrew

best

peter

Peter,

Regards

Andrew

andrew

do you have a younger and fitter gunsmith on hand as well, then i will join you with the shotgun Wink best out of 10 shots carry the beer beer i really am in awe, over the pictures you send me, it looks like a small piece of heaven.

best

peter

God's country?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very cool hunt.
Congrats!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great adventure. COngrats on the trip and very nice trophies...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
God's country?

certainly looks that way to me, biggest problem would proberly be getting me to go home again.
November cant come soon enough, allthough i have a few jobs to do here before i leave Smiler

cheers

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't been to the Kafue Flats, once must go. Its an awesome sight, thousands of Lechwe and a truly wild experience.

One can do the flats for the Kafue lechwe, then jump on a charter flight to the Bangweulu swamp to hunt the black lechwe, also an incredible place. You could literally hunt both animals in 4-5 days, I did it in 3.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Awesome, going and focusing on 1 species, my kind of hunt. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
WOW!! Great sounding hunt.....and definitely a hunt I would love to do someday. Kafue Lechwe have always been in my personal "top 5" of African animals. There's just something about them.....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Sweet....all pics are great but the B&W that you posted are just awesome !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Andrew
Only new to the web site.

Would love to go if you arrange another trip.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cameronaussie:
Dear Andrew
Only new to the web site.

Would love to go if you arrange another trip.

Can do this next year?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Looks bloody great mate..... but I've gotta ask what the wingshooting is like?

That place just has to be chokka with duck! BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
If you haven't been to the Kafue Flats, once must go. Its an awesome sight, thousands of Lechwe and a truly wild experience.

One can do the flats for the Kafue lechwe, then jump on a charter flight to the Bangweulu swamp to hunt the black lechwe, also an incredible place. You could literally hunt both animals in 4-5 days, I did it in 3.

Aaron,

Who offers this hunt?

Please give me a PM tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AWESOME! Big one bests mine somewhat!
One does not have to charter with very expensive flights to hunt both Bangweuleu and the Flats on the same trip!
One can kill his Black, a Tssessbe and hunt Sitatunga in Bangweuleu and then motor to
the Flats after overnighting with the lovely ladies in Lusaka...all it takes is 11 or so hours at a time of endurance in a bakkie! Cheaper than a charter....yep, I am a cheapskate who does not like charter flights or their gouging rates!
If you are motoring, you can even go visit Livingstones buried heart!
BTW, both my Zambia hunts have been with my friend Peter Chipman, Kwalata Safaris, who hates frigging small planes as much as I. I have seen way more of Zambia than many hunters that have been there more often!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote