New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kazuma Sept 7-21 Bull Elephants CMS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My daughter Alexandra and I returned from a hunt with CM Safaris in Zimbabwe/Kazuma area Sept 7-21. The short two weeks that Africa gave us was fantastic. We met some very nice people saw elephants daily and made stalks on them as well. On aproximately the fifth day, on Alan Shearing our PH's recommendation I instigated the taking of a very beautiful bull with long ivory and my daughter Alexandra was able to be by my side. She was thrilled, I was proud and I know we now have another elephant hunter in the ranks. We hunted each day for another big bull hopefully larger in the weight department and on the last day Alan Shearing our PH picked a great bull in a group of approximately 43 bulls. By the time I got myself together deciding to take his advice a group of cows/calves had worked in behind them. The situation was dynamic and really got into action when I punched the big bull in the forehead though too high. He immediately decided to leave the area in high gear Alan put in a shot and I was able to as well then I don't know how many elephants came our way but it became so very impressive quick. Alan and his team turned them only with shouts that were probably heard for miles. When the elephants that were coming our way turned we followed the path of the bull I had shot. We didn't have to go far as he had fell over in about sixty yards. Alexandra put in a insurance shot then immeditely we had another advancement of a wave of elephants that Alan quickly suggested we give these beasts some room. The dust settled then we were able to approach the fallen bull.

You can see the pictures of the elephants we took on the CMS website. Even with me being as big as I am the ivory is very impressive in appearance though it does not weigh as much as you would think. The long ivory I believe is around 48/43 and the shorter heavier ivory is 56/54. A total of 201 lbs of ivory and pretty symmetrical.

It was so much fun sharing the hunt with my now adult daughter and seeing her get to participate in such an adventure put together by some very skilled people at CMS. I think she will carry the torch of hunting forward well with herself, possibly someday children and friends. Maybe she will even talk her mom into letting us go again. I certainly hope so.

With all that said, as I stated before to all that participated in the previous CMS videos thank you. You set the bar very high with all those one shot kills something I failed to master but I was prepared for how fast the action is after a nonfatal shot, but most importantly we did get into some great action that I was able to share with my daughter. I think allowing her to participate in the hunt as she did really made it over the top in her experience as compared to just watching. Any way the current boy that is a friend has a birthday this weekend and as I understand it he is getting a safari shirt and a set of the CMS dvd's. What more could a father want.

On this trip I really realized what father time has done to me. I haven't hunted much for the past six years and admitely am not the man I would like to be in my dreams. Alan Shearing was so very tolerant of my ablities and limitations to the point I think just maybe in the future I could consider trying to hunt again. Maybe even next time I will get the so very impressive frontal brain shot accomplished.

Best to all in your hunting.
Bob Keeler

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations in order for both you and Alexandra. Wonderful story and trophies. Hope you decide to book another hunt. So addictive, as I learned with CMS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, the hunters who have been able to hunt Africa with their daughters, especially for Elephant, are but a handful. The weight of the ivory is just a small part of the memory that hunt will leave with you and your girl. Well done.

Posts: 20073 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bob and Alexandra,

Bob's bull elephants

Second bull

A happy camper. I should say a very happy hunter

In the salt and well done Bob and Alexandra

What wonderful experience and lifelong memories.

Until the next hunt,

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wow! Congratulations!! Fantastic! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting the pictures. It means so much to relive the excitement of those moments that were shared.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Two damn fine bulls! Well done and congratulations.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats Bob on what sounds like an incredible hunt. I hope the water issues got sorted eventually. That would be taking roughing it to a whole new level.

Mike

Posts: 21065 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It never did. But really I have had it much worse in life. They just heated water on the fire and poured a bucket or two into the available bath tubs and we used that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob,
I know your daughter...and you certainly planted the seed...I can't tell you how many texts/fb messages she's sent me telling me all about her amazing experience, and how all she wants is to go back! Congrats to you and her!

Great trip...2 eles...like your style!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Huge congrats x2!!!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob

Thanks for the phone call while you were here , nice jumbo well done wave

Posts: 49 | Location: ZIMBABWE | Registered: 17 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Bob: I didn't catch all of the photos first time through, or maybe you posted a couple of new ones. Wow, you holding that tusk is a great pic! tu2 Looks like your daughter is definitely hooked on Africa as well! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, thank you again for posting the pictures it is fun to share them.

Ross J. I'm still haunted by that big bull by the fence. Also all that rain that we encountered that probably could have floated Noah's Ark so many short years ago. How is the herpetology? You know more about snakes than I think the books do your stories were top class and I still tell the story of that posinous snake you saw over our heads as we drove under it. You giving me the scientific jargon as you slowed down and I nervously listening all the time wishing to be maybe somewhere else. I'll look forward to seeing you either at SCI or in Dallas.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Two very nice bulls! Congratulations! tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Congrats on some great Elephant and a beautiful Daughter that enjoys the sport .
What rifles did you use?
Hope to find a Bull Ele similar next season.
Regards,
Adam

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bulls, Bob.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RickCap
posted Hide Post
Bob, congratulations. I hunted with Alan Shearing this past May/June in Dande East. He is the consummate gentleman and a top notch PH.

Rick

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate NY, USA | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote