ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    An Afrikaan’s Safari with Andrew McLaren

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Afrikaan’s Safari with Andrew McLaren
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For the second year running Andrew McLaren generously offered a draw for a “free” Safari to the readers of the Accurate Reloading forums. The lucky winner is chosen by a judging panel that awarded the 2010 prize to Jason McKinney. Following Jason McKinney and his friend John Wintters hunting successfully, Andrew had a dilemma as Jason hadn’t hunted the warthog (sponsored generously by an anonymous Accurate Reloading forum member), so this part of the prize was still available. Andrew then, decided to offer this part of the prize to a hunter from another Continent and made me a generous offer.

To say I was surprised in early June to be planning a safari was an understatement, I had never hunted outside the UK before. Fortunately my friend Martin Taylor immediately decided to accompany me and a trip was quickly planned. Friday the 13th was our day of departure, flying with South African Airways to Johannesburg. We quickly picked up a Firearms Permit for my 308” and Martin’s 7x64 before flying to Bloemfontein and meeting Andrew.

The short drive to Andrew’s home was memorable; we had views of Cape Buffalo, Impala, Zebra etc on Game Farms beside the main road before taking a dirt road to Mervilla. Accommodation at Mervilla is a very comfortable lodge with en-suite facilities, meals are taken by the fire on the adjacent patio area, or in Andrew’s house depending on the weather. Cecilia McLaren is an excellent cook and hostess; we could have easily gone home weighing a few extra pounds if it wasn’t for all the hunting we were fortunate to participate in.

Mervilla is situated on the grassveldt in the Free State, farming is primarily cattle and some sheep at very low stocking rates, with occasional fields of corn. We hunted on several large farms, internal fences are no longer maintained, but even new roadside fences don’t inhibit the movement of springbuck and steenbuck that breed and roam freely across the huge open landscape with panoramic views to the horizon across 360 degrees.

Springbuck are found in small herds led by an adult male, small bachelor groups and individual territorial males. The grassveldt only provides cover to knee height, so most stalks require a long crawl, fortunately Andrew supplies knee pads that make this practical but a quick decision to stalk a rather large territorial ram meant I stalked without them and my knees are still recovering - that stalk was spoilt by the fickle winter wind that changed direction during the long stalk. The alternative method of hunting is via blinds, it is almost essential to try these as experiencing an African dawn chorus and sunrise are an important feature of any trip.

Steenbuck are delightful little animals and can be shot from blinds or stalked on foot. Andrew likes stalking and readily lets you plan and execute your own stalks under his supervision.

Blesbok are far more territorial, two herds are available close to Mervilla, I took one of two young rams that had been displaced from the herd by the resident ram, and in this case a rocky outcrop provided welcome cover and enabled us to approach to within 150 yards for my first African animal.

Martin and I both wanted to hunt Warthog, these are only just colonising the Mervilla area so we departed for 3 days hunting in the mountains near North Aliwal in the Eastern Cape, staying in a basic camp. The more rugged terrain also supports Mountain Reedbuck and at Andrew’s suggestion we hunted these, interestingly feral Kudu are present along with a single Nyala and an Eland, these animal escapees are from adjacent game farms and not yet available to hunt.

We hunted Mountain Reedbuck in the mornings, when they prefer the sunny side of the mountains, this allowed us to approach and shoot across the valley. Martin’s Reedbuck was initially spotted during his early morning toilet when he realised he was being watched from afar, that resulted in the longest stalk of the trip, as we climbed the mountains and approached downwind finally shooting the animal 2½ hours later.

Warthog were hunted during the day either by stalking or ambushing them, again the changeable winter winds played havoc with our planned stalks, but we both managed to shoot nice boars. In truth I should have shot a sow as Martin had the first shot at a large boar, during the recoil he noticed an animal running away and thinking it wounded, quickly fired a second shot when it hesitated, just as I was about to shoot – henceforth he was called Poacher Taylor.

The herd of Black Wildebeest lived in rugged terrain with Blesbuck, Springbuck and Warthog also available in this area. My wildebeest was taken from the herd, after numerous views of the magnificent bull, a tempting trophy but I had only planned to shoot a younger animal. The wildebeest was a severe test of the 308, and I regretted not using a better bullet than the Speer hot core 150g, however my 1x14” twist won’t properly stabilise heavier bullets.

Returning to Mervilla we lost hunting time on the Sunday due to the winter winds but did manage a visit to the Soetdoring Dam Nature Reserve and a duck flight when Poacher Taylor lived up to his reputation by taking two red billed teal with one shot. Fortunately on the 10th and last day of the hunt I did connect with a springbuck taking it at 215 yards.

Apart from Andrew and Cecilia’s’s excellent company and warm hospitality an added pleasure was the company of his neighbours. Hendrik a local landowner visited regularly, keen to ensure the English hunters had a good time, and would regularly report on the movements of game. Janii a local sheep farmer took us night shooting black-backed jackals, his truck complete with rotating seat, rifle rest and calls provided comfortable seating which we abused by missing a jackal. Janii was either sympathetic, or suffering from concussion after trying a 7x64 (he normally uses a 243) when he later joined us for an enjoyable dinner.

In preparation for a let Guinea Fowl hunt Slang stayed at Mervilla for the last 3 days of our hunt undertaking reconnaissance and planning. Slang is one of South Africa’s top dog trainers and we were able to spend a few hours watching him work his magnificent German Short-haired pointers and taking part in a couple of hunts over a trained 8 month old dog. Slang, aka Dr. P. J. Viljoen is South Africa’s best-known field expert on gamebirds and the author of “Game Birds of South Africa, Field Identification and Management”; to say he is a fascinating companion is an understatement. Slang’s work on the desert-dwelling elephant population in Namibia was fascinating, less palatable were the tales of burglary at his home near Pretoria.

Andrew had invited Martin and I to stay for some Guinea Fowl hunting but we had declined this offer choosing to focus our trip on plains game. Next time we will plan to participate in some wing shooting. Will we return to hunt with Andrew, as our wives might read this we will need to invoke the Fifth Amendment; others know we dream of future hunts with our African friends. Will we recommend an Andrew McLaren Safaris to our friends? You bet we will, wild animals hunted ethically with a good host and companion, what more can you ask for!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful trip.

Hopefully next year I`LL return to Andrews grassveld. Great place to hunt, where one can really feel free. Last year Andrew & I actually saw a big warthog over at brandfort area, so every now and then they do show up.
I could actually imagine a .308win lacking a "reach" at Andrews place, especially when hunting springboks. The 7x64 brenneke loaded with 140 grain bullets could duplicate the .270win, which would perhaps be more suitable for the open grassveld.
Thanks for sharing Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pics and story!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Martin certainly looks like a happy poacher!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice report - can you tell us a bit more about the Speer bullets performance? I understand they can be quite soft.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wildebeest was an angled shot at 300 yards, and broke the leg but didn't pentrate deep enough into the chest. A follow up shot at 150 broadside to the lungs resulted in severe brusing but not the damage I normally expect. The Mountain reedbuck also needed additional shots, this also applied to Martin with his 7x64 and noslers - they seem very tough animals.

Otherwise bullet performance was perfect,I have used the speer for nearly 30 years and been very happy with it.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Thank you for a great report. I had the pleasure of being at Mervilla in May and meet Jason and John. Your report caused the memories to come flooding back. Thanks!

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 632 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Well done!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a great report. A person cannot go wrong hunting with Andrew. He and his wife are some of the finest people I know. I could not say enough kind things about and Andrew and Ceclia. A person hunting with Andrew will have the experience of a life time. I have visited him several times and go away with some great memories. I hope to be back there soon.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very happy to see this good report on Andrew.
He "showed up" on another BB I frequent and quite honestly I wondered....I shall now go back to that BB and advise he is for real!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just been corrected on my termonology“Afrikaans” is the language, the people are “Afrikaners”. This should be called a An Afrikaners’s Safari with Andrew McLaren.

Apologies if I caused offence to anyone, I want to go back and recive a similar warm welcome!

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Another home run with Andrew McLaren! I cannot remember a day in the last year and a half when I have not reflected back on our hunt together. I believe I have told that story a thousand times. Lincs, I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy his company like we did! Andrew is a great host.

Well done, fellas! Once again, it has been proven that "Mervilla time" does not count against you on the odometer of life.

BTW, Andrew. I just got that trophy black wildebeest we took together back last nite from my taxidermist. I'll get some pics up soon!

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote