Find
Notify
Tools

Bombazi 2016
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Vince Hazen
posted
I had absolutely no plans to go to the Eastern Cape of Africa and hunt this year, but then Cam Greig (Camshaft here on AR) and his son Chris hunted with me in Texas and showed me videos of his ranch. That got me thinking, and then he went and offered a discounted hunt on AR and I had no choice. Truly glad I did. I have hunted multiple countries in Africa and several other countries around the world. I can honestly say I haven’t hunted anywhere more beautiful than Bombazi.

When I saw Cam’s offer on AR, I called around to see who was up for a last minute trip and my retired Air Force buddy Trace decided to take his first guided hunt and first trip to Africa with me. We made the brutally long trip from Atlanta to Joberg, overnighted at the City Lodge and caught an early flight to East London. About 1 ½ hour drive later we were sighting in the rifles. This was the maiden voyage for my Hill Country Rifle custom .300 RUM. Could not be more pleased with its performance. Shooting Barnes VOR-TX 180 grain tipped TSX. The .300 RUM can be quite a beast, so I shoot with a suppressor to spare the PH and the trackers and to reduce the recoil dramatically. 400 yard shots were almost easy with this rig and most of the shots dropped the animals where they stood.

Bombazi is an old cattle ranch and Cam and his brother turned the old buildings into a hunting lodge. The attention to detail is impressive. The PH who runs the operation is named Mof and his wife Elsie is the cook. Even though we worked pretty hard climbing hills, I still gained weight on the trip. Best food I have had hunting – period.

Bombazi is about 10,000 acres and the unique topography allows you to actually hunt. You can work as hard or take it as easy as you want. We did a little of both. Mof has a great little Jack Russell named Lexi that loves to hunt and is a heck of a tracker. Trace wounded an impala and Lexi found and bayed him up literally miles from where he was shot.

I will let pictures speak for themselves. It was just a perfect hunt. Thanks to Cam and all the folks at Bombazi.

Posts: 149 | Location: Lometa, Texas | Registered: 05 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful area and it looks like you had a great time.
Congratulations on a nice hunt

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, beautiful area and trophies! Glad you had a good time

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
This is a beautiful part of South Africa. Congrats on a very successful hunt. Thanks for sharing

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks beautiful! Great photos and trophies you've collected. Looking forward to start pestering the CFO (aka: wife) about a plains game trip after heading over for buff next year.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kallie404
posted Hide Post
Well done on a great hunt !! That springbok is a monster !!

Posts: 109 | Location: Mooketsi& Phalaborwa Limpopo Province RSA | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
Pictures are awesome!, specially Zebra!
Congrats for good hunt and great springbok!

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Great Pics. Is there a story behind the wound on the Giraffes front foot? Snares?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pics. The springbok looks big.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice pics! tu2