ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    CM Safaris Dande North and East July 27-Aug 9

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CM Safaris Dande North and East July 27-Aug 9
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Lee Britt
posted
This is my report and few pics as well. I went on the trip with Tim and Skip. Tim pretty much said it all. Great times were had by all and I can't wait to get back. I'll be picking up lots of extra work until I cant arrange the next trip.

Well, I just recently returned from my trip to Zim with CM Safaris. We had a blast and it was truly a memorable hunt. I hunted with 2 friends and we had the camp to ourselves. This was my second trip to Africa and my first DG hunt. We had some problems with bags and none of our guns showed up until day 3 and my luggage did not show up until then as well. That's J'burg unfortunately. My gun has still not arrived home either. Pretty frustrating to say the least. I did not kill my Sable or Elephant but it did not take away from the trip at all. I had a great time and am trying to figure out how to pay for another trip over. I highly recommend CM as everybody was extremely professional, courteous, organized, and friendly. I can't imagine a better group to hunt with.

Hunt Dates: July 30-Aug 8

PH: Rex Hoets (Buzz Charlton and Rich Tabor were the other 2 ph's in camp)

Hunt Area: Dande North Days 1-3 and 8-10; Dande East Days 4-7

Species killed: Cape Buffalo, Hyena, Baboon

Species Hunted and not killed: Trophy Bull Elephant, Sable, Bushbuck, civet, warthog (my African nemesis apparently)

Species Seen and not hunted: Klipspringer, Duiker, Impala, Kudu, Lion, Cerval Cat, Jackal, Wild Dog, Zebra, Roan, Bushpig, Greysbok

Animals killed by hunting partners:
Buddy #1(Buzz PH)-Tuskless Ele, Leopard, Buffalo Bull, Buffalo Cow, Hyena, Baboon

Buddy #2(Rich PH)-Zebra, Warthog, Impala, Cape Buffalo, Hippo, Hyena, Klipspringer, Sable

Day 1 found me chasing an immature 34-35" Sable Bull right off the bat, we got close and could tell that he was not what we were looking for. We also pursued buffalo to no avail. We caught up with them in the thick "Jess" and were unable to do anything with them. Go real close but did not close the deal. Has a fun day and saw one female and 2 male lions among other animals.

Day 2, another day in the Jess. Chased and Caught up with Buffalo all day long but could never get them out in the open to make a positive ID on anything.

Day 3, we were told by Tim and Buzz about a herd that was in the hilly region of the property and out in the open the night before so we headed that way. Caught up with them about 3/4 mile from where they had been when last seen. Got busted by wind and cows on several occasions but did ID 2 "shooters" in the herd. Followed them up and over a small mountain and then caught them going over another one. Made a move and got on the opposite ridge from them. We then actually caught a break for once and they spooked towards us. They ran up the draw onto our ridge and got really close. The cows were about 15-20 yds and in the wide open looking at us. When we finally found the bull we were looking for, he moved up above the herd a little and out in the open. I made the shot at about 35-40 yds. He ran about 10 yds and I had my Bull!

At that point, I worked a deal with Buzz on a trophy Elephant that was left on Quota in Dande East. We moved that afternoon over to that camp and chased Ele on Days 4,5,6 and the morning of the 7th. We were unable to catch up to any of them. They like to come into the area at night and eat the Villagers crops and Massau? Berries and the return to Mozambique at night. The wind blows from the East and they walk into it preventing you from getting ahead of them and also making it very hard to catch up to them. We caught them one day right on the border and got to 100 yds or so but the wind shifted and gave us away and that was it. Oh well! We also found a Sable dying in the bush and there was nothing we could do about it. Pretty sad but if we had shot it to put it out of its misery then we would have had to pay a trophy fee on it. We went back in the next day and he was dead. There were femal Leopard tracks around but she had not fed. No signs of a male so we moved on after some pics. He had broken both horn tips off while struggling and he measured 37" with 9.5" bases.

On Day 5 we saw a really nice Roan Antelope which was a magnificent animal. They are protected in Zim so no shot but very cool anyway.

We returned to the Dande North camp the last 3 days and chased Sable. My Buddy had shot a tuskless and the ribs were left for hyena bait. We slipped in the 8th morning and smoked a nice hyena. Skull measured 18 1/8". Everybody in camp shot a hyena which was quite an accomplishment since the PH's say they have much better success on Leopard and Lion than Hyena.

We were in Sable everyday and saw one 45"+ plus Bull but we were unable to connect. All of the PG are very spooky due to the Lions. We watched several herds of animals from great distances that would run and spook for no apparent reason.

Sunset

Scenery-just below the top of the hill was where the Buffalo fell.

Buffalo, 38.5" wide, 14 & 13.75" bosses

Everybody's Buff

Hyena

Sable-I was messing with the other guys a little and took a few pics.

Group pics

Glassing

On the Elephant trail

The Guys

Shooting Contest: USA vs Zim, of course we won!

Last but not least-Leopard Bait

Lee Britt

Posts: 51 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: 02 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Lee - sounds like a great hunt and some wonderful trophies. The hyena is the one that has alluded me and they make great rugs.

Hunting with Rex I'm sure it was educational and strenuous. Despite his very dry sense of humor he's a great guy.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats on what sounds like a great hunt all the way around.

Mike

Posts: 21073 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Britt
posted Hide Post
Rex was a great guy and we had a blast together. Thanks for the kind words guys.
Le

Lee Britt

One of Us
Picture of MSsafari
posted Hide Post
When are you going back???

Posts: 51 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Lee and great photos. It was a blast for all...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Britt
posted Hide Post
BTW Mike, Tim really talks you up now for passing on the Leo! Ha!

Will, I'm waiting on you to go back. Get everything lined up for a big Ele hunt and we will book. I'm sure it won't be hard to convince Tim and Skip to go back. I'll call you in a bit.

Lee Britt

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think the whole team thought I was an idoit -- and they are not far off -- for not sitting for a feeding leopard. But it was time to move on to Moz. All worked out in the end.

Mike

Posts: 21073 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good show!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your hunt!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Very nice pix. Congrats on all of you getting your buff.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good for you, great pics there.

I hope your guns get back quickly.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sound like a great trip.

You collected some really nice animals.

Please post the mounts when done.

I think I had better contact them for a trip next year.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt! Plus you had the benefit of having in camp some of the best guys in the business.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Well done and welcome home.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
Lee, great to see you had a good trip, better start working double shifts for the next one! Wink

Congrats on your buff. Hope your gun make it home.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Britt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roger. Good to hear from you. Gun has still not made it home! I've already picked up an extra shift since I've been back. Gotta keep working.
Lee

Lee Britt

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great safari!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done on a great adventure.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,

My wife and I enjoyed meeting you on the backroads of Dande! You left an indelible picture on our collective memories - a beer in both hands, a grin a mile wide, and the quote of the trip - "This place is the real deal!" We agreed completely, and your words became our favorite synopsis of the whole trip!

May our paths cross again in similar circumstances...

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Acer/Dave...when we gonna see your report? Dying to know how you did...When we left you guys had already had more male leopards feed in 3-4 days, than we did in 9 days!

Great meeting you and the Mrs. and hope it turned out to be as great as it started for you...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Britt
posted Hide Post
Dave, thanks for the kind words. It was great meeting you as well. Hopefully we will run into each other again. I was pretty excited at the time after having chased the Buff through the Jess for a few days and then finally connecting on top of the mountain! I hope I didn't scare you too much! I agree with Tim, I'd love to see/hear your report as well.

Lee

Lee Britt

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt. I hunted there in 08 with Chifuti when they had the unit and I can say it's about my favorite concession I've hunted in Africa.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote